Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-23-14, 01:35 PM   #126
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love? (was: FX)

I have a stupid amount of TV shows on DVD. Maybe not as much as some people here, but more than anyone I know personally. I hit the fatigue when HD DVD and Blu-ray hit, so there's a ton of shows where I don't even have all the seasons (24, Dead Zone, Always Sunny, etc.). The only one I stuck with was The Simpsons, and I haven't watched any of those discs in years.

I'm actually working up the confidence to just purge my collection and only keep the stuff I truly care about (Twitch City, Mr. Show, The Wire, for example).

On Blu-ray, I have a handful of TV series. Breaking Bad and Fringe... and I bought Season 1 of The Walking Dead, but won't buy the rest. I'll only bother buying TV shows on Blu-ray if it's a complete series that I already love (Twin Peaks!) and/or isn't available elsewhere. For TV, I'd say Netflix and Hulu+ have been the greatest things (aside from some apps that won't disable the auto-play feature, which I hate) because I can pick up a show two years after I watched an episode, and the service knows which one to play next. Hulu+ commercials don't bother me because it still beats watching network TV shows on day one.

I don't feel like I need to own any TV shows on discs any more (other than the truly special stuff), and if people like us aren't buying them, then the studios are seeing just how little demand there is for them.

I don't know how Netflix's licensing works, but if it's like streaming music, then the rights-holders get ~70% of the total revenue, divided by the number of streams in any given month. TV shows, for that reason, probably get a much higher percentage of streams than movies, so the more the studios push TV on streaming, the better cut they get.

So, if the question is, "Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?" it's because, for the most part, the streaming options are far more convenient and cost efficient for the majority of content out there. It's why MP3 killed CDs. Blu-ray can remain a niche for the collectors/fans, but it's not a mainstream option.
Old 07-23-14, 01:44 PM   #127
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I recently purged the collection and the only TV sets I kept were the three season of Star Trek TOS the five seasons of Fringe and the Firefly set. Kept my Buffy and Angel DVD sets and sold off all of my other TV DVD sets. Will add Twin Peaks on BD on Tuesday. Other than if/when The X-Files gets released on BD I think I am done.
Old 07-23-14, 01:49 PM   #128
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
so there's a ton of shows where I don't even have all the seasons (24, Dead Zone, Always Sunny, etc.).
A year ago or so I was tempted to buy the entire Dead Zone series. (It was showing up for less than $9 a pop at Costco at the time). In the end, I turned it down. (I had already hit the fatigue stage by then).

On the other hand, if I had come across it a year or two earlier (ie. during 2011 or 2012), most likely I would have purchased all the Dead Zone season sets.
Old 07-23-14, 01:52 PM   #129
DVD Talk Hero

TV is a tough one because if you're up to date with most current shows and watch them weekly as it airs, there is really no incentive to purchase the complete season right away.

Most TV shows just don't have a lot of replay value.
Old 07-23-14, 01:57 PM   #130
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
A year ago or so I was tempted to buy the entire Dead Zone series. (It was showing up for less than $9 a pop at Costco at the time). In the end, I turned it down. (I had already hit the fatigue stage by then).

On the other hand, if I had come across it a year or two earlier (ie. during 2011 or 2012), most likely I would have purchased all the Dead Zone season sets.
Yup! I think I have seasons 1-4. I can't remember if there were 5 or 6 total, but I don't have them. It was a show I really loved and ONLY watched on DVD as I couldn't get it on TV locally. I trailed off and never caught up. I think the series is on Netflix now (I watched an episode or two, trying to figure out where I actually left off).

As I said, I really need to purge the collection. I just don't know what to do with the discs. I've looked into taking them to the library, but they'll only take up to 5 at a time (they don't want people like me dumping 100+ titles on them in a day), so that'll take... awhile. It's out of my way, so I wouldn't be dropping discs off every day. Maybe once a week if I was dedicated. It'd still take me over a year to do it. I thought about putting a local ad up to see if anyone wanted to take them off my hands, but I don't want someone coming into my house and seeing all the actually valuable stuff I have.
Old 07-23-14, 02:03 PM   #131
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
TV is a tough one because if you're up to date with most current shows and watch them weekly as it airs, there is really no incentive to purchase the complete season right away.

Most TV shows just don't have a lot of replay value.
I agree.

This is the main reason why I haven't bothered (or won't bother) buying many current tv on bluray shows like:

- Continuum
- Orphan Black
- Falling Skies
- Homeland (season 2 seemed rather lackluster)
- The Blacklist
- The Americans
- Mad Men (seasons 5+ seemed rather boring)
- Bones
- The Following
- Helix
- Under The Dome
- Defiance
- etc ...

Some due to crappy writing (such as Defiance and "Under The Dome"), while others I find have very little to no rewatch value for me (such as watching The Americans, Continuum, Orphan Black, etc ... in day long rerun marathons).
Old 07-23-14, 02:17 PM   #132
DVD Talk Special Edition

This may sound like "bottom feeding", but the only way I would be tempted to pick up some of the current tv on bluray season sets, is if I found them in the bargain bins for $10-$15 a pop (or less).

For example, recently I found and picked up the season 1 bluray of Hawaii Five-0 from a local dump bin for $14. (The dvd version was the same price, and also in the exact same dump bin). I haven't seen these episodes in over 2-3 years, and they were great to watch again.

Considering Hawaii Five-0 might be discontinued on bluray, at this point I'm only willing to buy the season 2 and 3 blurays, if I also find them in the dump bins for $15 a pop or less.

Last edited by morriscroy; 07-23-14 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 02:33 PM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

The Complete I Dream of Jeannie DVD set with all five seasons is only $17.99 on Amazon at the moment. I know someone reading this thread will be tempted at that price. It is never going to hit Blu-ray.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 07-23-14, 02:51 PM   #134
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The Complete I Dream of Jeannie DVD set with all five seasons is only $17.99 on Amazon at the moment. I know someone reading this thread will be tempted at that price. It is never going to hit Blu-ray.
Wonder if Sony is having a hard time liquidating all that old tv on dvd inventory, after licensing a lot of the same sets to Mill Creek.

(On a very unrelated tangent).

Speaking of Larry Hagman and complete series dvd sets, the one "complete series" dvd set I'm willing to buy (again) is if the original Dallas was re-released entirely as single-sided dvd9 discs. (Except for the final season and tv movies, the seasons 1 to 13 dvd sets were all originally released as nasty double-sided dvd18 flipper discs).
Old 07-23-14, 03:29 PM   #135
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It looks like Sleepy Hollow season one is getting a release on Blu.
Gillian Flynn
Old 07-23-14, 03:40 PM   #136

I enjoyed the first season of Sleepy Hollow but no way would I buy it. Kurtzman and Orci are co-creators so I expect it to go to shit anytime soon.
Old 07-23-14, 03:43 PM   #137
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I enjoyed the first season of Sleepy Hollow but no way would I buy it. Kurtzman and Orci are co-creators so I expect it to go to shit anytime soon.
So wait, you're not going to buy it based on the potential that subsequent seasons won't be good? So why not buy season one and if other seasons aren't very good just... you know, don't buy them?
Old 07-23-14, 04:34 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
So wait, you're not going to buy it based on the potential that subsequent seasons won't be good? So why not buy season one and if other seasons aren't very good just... you know, don't buy them?
Because they aren't stand alone episodes for the most part. It would be like buying a few chapters of a book but not the rest because the ending sucked. For me the entire thing has to work as a whole. I bought the first four seasons of Chuck but after that shitty finale that basically ruined the entire thing for me I sold them off.
Old 07-23-14, 04:41 PM   #139

why Fox Home Video is relegating 'Bob's Burger's to DV-R release seems so stupid - I WANT this on bluray! goddamn it!
Old 07-23-14, 04:50 PM   #140
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Because they aren't stand alone episodes for the most part. It would be like buying a few chapters of a book but not the rest because the ending sucked. For me the entire thing has to work as a whole.
I feel the same way about serialized shows. (Even some semi-serialized shows, like Fringe).

Especially if the writing quality really nosedives in the next (or later) seasons, such as season 2 of Homeland. (I really like season 1 of Homeland). The bluray season sets aren't exactly that enticing anymore, with crappier writing.
Old 07-23-14, 04:55 PM   #141
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
I feel the same way about serialized shows. (Even some semi-serialized shows, like Fringe).

Especially if the writing quality really nosedives in the next (or later) seasons, such as season 2 of Homeland. (I really like season 1 of Homeland). The bluray season sets aren't exactly that enticing anymore, with crappier writing.

The show which really epitomized this for me, was "Mad Men".

Back in 2011, I picked up the first four seasons of Mad Men on dvd and binge watched through them all. (I didn't own a bluray player at the time). I really liked the first four seasons.

By the time the new season 5 first-run episodes were on in 2012, I was wondering if I was even watching the same show. Season 5 seemed like a shadow of its former self.

EDIT: Since then, I haven't bothered buying any subsequent seasons of Mad Men. I have also felt no desire to upgrade seasons 1 to 4 to bluray. (Not even at $10 a pop, or less).

Last edited by morriscroy; 07-23-14 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 06:47 PM   #142
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Speaking of Larry Hagman and complete series dvd sets, the one "complete series" dvd set I'm willing to buy (again) is if the original Dallas was re-released entirely as single-sided dvd9 discs. (Except for the final season and tv movies, the seasons 1 to 13 dvd sets were all originally released as nasty double-sided dvd18 flipper discs).
That's one I bought BECAUSE it was a DVD-18! I always thought those were cool, and don't see why there's so much hatred for them. (Yes, there was the ton of Universal ones that were defective, but that was ONE manufacturer.) I never like when there's an unnecessarily large number of discs in a set, especially when they use those stupid cases that overlap discs so you have to take the one on top out to get to the one under it.

It seems REALLY counter-productive to put out current stuff on DVD only- Netflix HD usually looks better than DVD can, and those who buy discs of stuff already on Netflix are going to be the quality-conscious people. I've seen $40 Blu-Ray players out there, so why even make DVD-only players anymore? You can't buy standard-def TVs anymore.
Old 07-23-14, 08:56 PM   #143
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently they aren't completely pulling out of the Blu-ray market, I was just offered to review Fargo: Season One on Blu-ray. I presume a hip show will still be given chances to sell on home video before going DVD only.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 07-24-14, 03:10 AM   #144
DVD Talk Reviewer

I reviewed Charlie Sheen's "Anger Management" show on here, and I noted that the picture quality of the Blu-rays was one of its few redeeming features! Can't imagine watching that on DVD.
Old 07-24-14, 04:48 AM   #145
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
It seems REALLY counter-productive to put out current stuff on DVD only- Netflix HD usually looks better than DVD can, and those who buy discs of stuff already on Netflix are going to be the quality-conscious people.
Good question.

As a guess, either the individuals calling the shots (at the movie companies) really don't give a damn, and/or the movie companies really enjoy giving the "middle finger" to quality conscious people (such as many of us on this thread).

Last edited by morriscroy; 07-24-14 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-24-14, 05:03 AM   #146
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Apparently they aren't completely pulling out of the Blu-ray market, I was just offered to review Fargo: Season One on Blu-ray. I presume a hip show will still be given chances to sell on home video before going DVD only.
First seasons are always a huge unknown, with very little to no previous direct data to base decisions on. Second and subsequent seasons can always look at the sales data of previous seasons to make decisions on continuing the bluray releases.

In terms of "indirect data", this is probably where the fantasy/sci-fi and premium/basic cable thing comes in, when it comes to decisions to release first seasons on bluray. After 5+ years, the movie company decision makers probably have enough such indirect data to know what is worth rolling the dice on as new first season bluray sets.
Old 07-24-14, 06:31 AM   #147
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Since it was "disposable entertainment" to many, it was odd that so many of them would spend around $30 for box sets of it.
No need to spend $30+ on tv season sets anymore. I usually wait a year or two, and find them in the local dump bins for $15 a pop or less.

Quote:
There were plenty of current shows that I bought however, rather than enduring them through the unwatchable mess that network TV had become, with logos always onscreen and excessive commercials. Usually just watching one disc's worth of episodes, I avoided what would have been an hour's worth of commercials!
Do you watch any live broadcasts at all? (Whether OTA, cable, satellite, online, etc ...).

It's easy to skip over commercials on a dvr. (Similar thing with a vcr, back in the day).

In regard to on-screen logos, the only reasons I can think of offhand for their constant existence is stuff like: easy advertising for the network, and as a way of tracking where pirated copies were sourced from.

Last edited by morriscroy; 07-24-14 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-25-14, 01:51 AM   #148
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Do you watch any live broadcasts at all? (Whether OTA, cable, satellite, online, etc ...).
I do have an antenna, but hardly watch anything- main things I've watched in the past few years have been news, which you sort of have to see live or there's little point to it. Even then I only watch that when there's something big happening. During 'slow news' times the reporters are just so phony, and of course they pile on the commercials during newscasts too. I also watch classic shows occasionally on the "Antenna TV" network, which is one of the only channels to respect its content and viewers enough not to put anything onscreen during the shows. (I don't count anything online as a "broadcast", at least as long as it isn't live.)

Quote:
It's easy to skip over commercials on a dvr. (Similar thing with a vcr, back in the day).
With the amount of commercials they show now, I see why those are popular. Since they don't filter out the onscreen logos and other crap the networks foist during the actual shows, I still have no use for a DVR. I have no way of recording TV at all right now, if I did care about it I wouldn't be satisfied with a DVR as I'd want a way to permanently keep recordings.

Quote:
In regard to on-screen logos, the only reasons I can think of offhand for their constant existence is stuff like: easy advertising for the network, and as a way of tracking where pirated copies were sourced from.
In 20 years, I've never heard a single valid reason for using them- in fact, nobody can give me a straight answer as to what CBS and ABC specifically (who were the last to jump on that wagon in 1998) have GAINED by doing it. I simply can't watch a show with that crap on the screen- it feels like I'm watching a promo spot for the show. Moving the logos closer to the middle of the screen so they won't be cut off if cropped to 4x3 is even more ludicrous. I would seriously be happy if everyone responsible for that were to be abducted by aliens or something. (And I continue to be baffled as to why there has been little protest from the creative community about this. I know Matt Groening and The Simpsons staff didn't like it when it started, as they sent me a letter back in 1994 thanking me for complaining. I had that letter on my wall for a long time until it got ripped and I threw it out, expecting that this fad would eventually be over.)

I used to want to work in TV, eventually running my own station, but I'm glad I didn't (instead I fell in love with the movie theater business and stuck with that until it started imploding.)

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 07-25-14 at 03:45 AM.
Old 07-25-14, 07:28 AM   #149

Quote:
With the amount of commercials they show now, I see why those are popular. Since they don't filter out the onscreen logos and other crap the networks foist during the actual shows, I still have no use for a DVR. I have no way of recording TV at all right now, if I did care about it I wouldn't be satisfied with a DVR as I'd want a way to permanently keep recordings.
There was a really funny spoof of this on MAD TV. During the opening monologue with Neil Patrick Harris they started running pop-up promos that slowly became more and more intrusive and eventually just covered the screen.
Old 07-25-14, 09:33 PM   #150
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Because they aren't stand alone episodes for the most part. It would be like buying a few chapters of a book but not the rest because the ending sucked. For me the entire thing has to work as a whole. I bought the first four seasons of Chuck but after that shitty finale that basically ruined the entire thing for me I sold them off.
Isn't that kind of like not buying Godfather 1&2 because 3 isn't any good?
Gillian Flynn