Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-26-17, 09:57 AM   #576
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love? (was: FX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
... Who doesn't own a Blu Ray player of some sort by 2017?
Off the top of my head...

My dad
My sister
My brother-in-law
My daughter

And were I to ask around at work I'm positive I'd come away with at least a 50% non-owner ratio.
Old 07-26-17, 10:10 AM   #577
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, tons of people I know (well to do, no deadbeats) do not have blu-ray players.

It doesn't even matter how little they cost - they're not interested in plugging in yet another device into their TV.
Old 07-26-17, 10:15 AM   #578
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
That blows my mind -- they master them in HD and the packaging is standard, unlike the DVDs. Who doesn't own a Blu Ray player of some sort by 2017? How much could it possibly cost to manufacture the Blu Rays if you're putting out the DVDs?
Blu-rays are an entire additional authoring/mastering/pressing cost, and studios view it as an additional SKU that they then have to get retailers to agree to stock, and mostly just splits the sales between the two SKUs instead of significantly increasing sales. So it's additional upfront costs and more distribution overhead with limited increase in sales to justify it.

And I know a lot of people who don't own a Blu-ray player. Outside of the enthusiast crowd, a lot of people basically skipped Blu-ray and went from DVD to streaming.

It's basic lowest-common denominator. Not everyone can play Blu-rays, and not everywhere, but anyone with a Blu-ray player can also play DVDs.
Old 07-26-17, 10:17 AM   #579
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Yeah, tons of people I know (well to do, no deadbeats) do not have blu-ray players.

It doesn't even matter how little they cost - they're not interested in plugging in yet another device into their TV.
To be fair, it could replace their existing DVD player. But most will only be interested in doing that once their DVD player eventually dies.
Old 07-26-17, 10:28 AM   #580
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

And even then, when their DVD player dies, they may ask themselves how often they really throw a disc in anyway. If they haven't watched a DVD in more than a year, it's pretty unlikely that they'll even bother replacing the player at all.
Old 07-26-17, 11:01 AM   #581
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only reason my father has a bluray player is because I purchased it for him.

In addition, the only reason my father ever uses the bluray player, is because I buy for him various blurays of classic movies from his youth. He gives me lists of titles to look out for on bluray (or dvd).

Otherwise, I don't have many local family/friends/acquaintances who have bluray players at home.
Old 07-26-17, 11:22 AM   #582
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Does anyone have the sale number of Seasons 14-17 & 20 DVD vs BR?
Short of Fox publicly disclosing such figures, the only individuals who would know them for sure are the bean counters in the CFO's office and possibly some other C-level suite executives at Fox. So far they are tight lipped on this.

(With that being said).

If you're willing wade through older posts on this thread, awhile back I went through some figures from various semi-unreliable sources online which were easily available. From that analysis, I got the impression Fox may be looking for sales figures of 10,000+ copies for a new bluray release within the first month or so. Otherwise if they don't believe a title can move more than 10,000 copies on bluray within the first month or so, then they won't release it themselves.

For the other guys (ie. Sony, Paramount, Universal, Warner, etc ...), the same analysis suggests they'll only release a new bluray title if they think it will sell more than 5,000-10,000 copies within the first month or so.

In the case of Warner tv on bluray sets, I'm guessing Warner is looking to move at least 5,000 copies within the first month or so. (Dunno about Warner Archive).

Last edited by morriscroy; 07-26-17 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-26-17, 02:17 PM   #583
DVD Talk Legend

A couple of things. It's possible Fox doesn't view the DVDs as threatening their HD syndication numbers in the same way a Blu-ray set would.

The second factor is retail. Shelf space for Blu-ray television has practically disappeared outside very popular HBO releases. If Walmart passes on carrying a product, a studio may just cancel it.

Retail availability still drives online sales for mainstream, mass-market titles. Most normal people aren't obsessively checking studio release schedules. When they see a set available in stores, they'll go home and order from Amazon.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 07-26-17, 02:34 PM   #584
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
The only reason my father has a bluray player is because I purchased it for him.

In addition, the only reason my father ever uses the bluray player, is because I buy for him various blurays of classic movies from his youth. He gives me lists of titles to look out for on bluray (or dvd).

Otherwise, I don't have many local family/friends/acquaintances who have bluray players at home.
I thought you were going to say that the only reason he watches them is because you put them in the tray for him.

I lent a friend a BD copy of Chuck and had to remind them that they could play it on their XB1 console.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 07-26-17, 03:14 PM   #585
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I lent a friend a BD copy of Chuck and had to remind them that they could play it on their XB1 console...
...after they go online and download the free Blu-ray player app from the store. Blu-ray/DVD playback isn't even built-in.
Old 07-27-17, 06:10 PM   #586

Quote:
That blows my mind -- they master them in HD and the packaging is standard, unlike the DVDs. Who doesn't own a Blu Ray player of some sort by 2017? How much could it possibly cost to manufacture the Blu Rays if you're putting out the DVDs?

Why would you expect a blu-ray when the episodes weren't even produced in HD until season 20?
Old 07-27-17, 07:03 PM   #587
DVD Talk Legend

Same reason we received Blu-rays of seasons thirteen through seventeen? They aren't in HD granted but still look good.
Old 07-28-17, 02:43 AM   #588
DVD Talk Reviewer

They definitely look like HD masters- though I'll admit to just checking out parts of season 13 and not having watched all of them yet. Turns out the seasons on Vudu are CROPPED BTW, and extra bonus if you got the SD seasons earlier they've now been upgraded to the cropped versions gratis!

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 07-28-17, 10:47 AM   #589
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are the Simpsons Seasons 1-19 marked as SD still cropped on Vudu?