Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 06-05-17, 08:52 PM   #551
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love? (was: FX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash View Post
I'm interested in Wynonna Earp, but hesitant about Indiegogo. I've heard that they can take money but never deliver?
Indiegogo is just a middleman for the creators of campaigns, in this case IDW Entertainment. It's basically a site that makes it easy for people to set up their own crowdfunding campaigns.

IDW Entertainment produced Wynonna Earp, and is part of a large corporation including the IDW publishing arm, which published the Wynonna Earp comic.
http://idwmediaholdings.com/

Typically with Indiegogo you have to worry about projects that aren't complete yet, or possibly not even started, by new and/or unknowns. With this, the Blu-ray is pretty much guaranteed to be delivered, since IDW won't want to deal with the damage to their established brand. It's basically a fancy pre-order, so IDW can figure out how many sets to print.
Old 06-06-17, 06:03 PM   #552
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Indiegogo is just a middleman for the creators of campaigns, in this case IDW Entertainment. It's basically a site that makes it easy for people to set up their own crowdfunding campaigns.

Spoiler:
IDW Entertainment produced Wynonna Earp, and is part of a large corporation including the IDW publishing arm, which published the Wynonna Earp comic.
http://idwmediaholdings.com/

Typically with Indiegogo you have to worry about projects that aren't complete yet, or possibly not even started, by new and/or unknowns. With this, the Blu-ray is pretty much guaranteed to be delivered, since IDW won't want to deal with the damage to their established brand. It's basically a fancy pre-order, so IDW can figure out how many sets to print.
Thanks for the advice and info! I've long been familiar with IDW (though not their non-comic operations), but hadn't thought through the fact that their connection would make this more reliable than many other Indiegogo projects.
Old 06-15-17, 01:39 PM   #553
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Big box set of Prison Break coming on 6/27 (including the recent "season" that just took place)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071L85DDV...=1M0KVIX95J7Y1
Old 06-15-17, 02:06 PM   #554
DVD Talk Legend

For years the only way to get Prison Break's entire run on Blu-ray was importing the set from France.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 06-15-17, 02:42 PM   #555
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In December last year, they released seasons two and four here in the US. Yeah, it was odd that seasons one, three, and The Final Break have been available for awhile now. But this is the first time you can buy them all together. Oddly enough, it looks like you still have to buy The Final Break separately.

Last edited by mattysemo247; 06-15-17 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-21-17, 10:35 PM   #556
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just saw this post on Digital bits and figured this would be the best place to put this information, but a Friday Night Lights Complete series set is coming to bluray on 9/12. I still have the dvd series set, but I know I have seen plenty of posts here wishing this would finally happen.
http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/062117-1430

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 06-25-17 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-22-17, 10:17 PM   #557
DVD Talk Hero

Wonder if that FNL blu will have the songs intact. I doubt it will.
Old 06-22-17, 10:58 PM   #558
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I doubt it will have any of the original music, I thought the score music that was in the place of the songs worked well, plus I watched almost the entire series on dvd so it didn't really bother me. I'll wait and see in term of the quality of the set to decide if I want to sell off the dvds to get the bluray set.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 06-25-17 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-22-17, 11:52 PM   #559
DVD Talk Reviewer

Funny how a small company like Mill Creek can manage to put this stuff out on Blu-Ray but the bigger studios can't! Will get the Knight Rider set eventually.

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 06-22-17, 11:57 PM   #560
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Wonder if that FNL blu will have the songs intact. I doubt it will.
Miami Vice and Quantum Leap had all their music intact. I don't see why not with FNL. Only thing that probably won't get ported over are all the extras and commentary tracks from the DVDs.

All the series sets released thus far are barebones.
Old 07-22-17, 03:41 PM   #561
DVD Talk Hero

This is interesting - not sure if it's real or not, but the official Simpsons facebook page says that Simpsons is back on DVD with season 18, posting this pic:

*[edit]
I guess it's real.

Yay?
Old 07-22-17, 04:16 PM   #562
DVD Talk Hero

That article doesn't even seem to be aware that Blu Ray discs actually exist.
Old 07-22-17, 04:16 PM   #563
DVD Talk Legend

I'm stoked about it coming back. Hopefully it's to Blu-ray too but even if it's DVD only I'm going to buy it day one. If Fox was smart they would have done a couple at a time to make up for the gap in releases and plus just so they can catch up faster. They need to stop the whole one release per year and do two or even three. Hopefully this sells well enough and sales don't get halted again.
Old 07-22-17, 05:19 PM   #564
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still need to buy 15, 16, and 17 on bluray to get caught up. If it indeed is dvd only I hope they ditch the foldout sleeve packaging. Its very hard not to get those without scratched discs.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 07-23-17 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-22-17, 06:35 PM   #565
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
That article doesn't even seem to be aware that Blu Ray discs actually exist.
The article didn't seem to know a whole lot and mostly just speculation. Good news for those collecting I suppose but I know many want to keep with Blu once they started.

TV shows are the one area I prefer the DVD to the BR. I like to take TV on DVD on business trips and watch in the hotel room on the laptop. One show I do have on Blu is Chuck which doesn't really have any better quality than my son's DVD's.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 263 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 390 BR titles, 15 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 70 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 07-22-17, 07:09 PM   #566
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Disney/Marvel are at least partially catching up with the UK. The first season of Jessica Jones and the second season of Daredevil are hitting Blu-ray on August 22nd. Still no sign of season 3 of Agents of SHIELD or the second season of Agent Carter, though.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 07-22-17, 08:01 PM   #567
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have an external Blu-Ray drive for my laptop, so no problem playing those on the go.

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 07-22-17, 09:37 PM   #568
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I still need to buy 15, 16, and 17 on bluray to get caught up. If it indeed is dvd only I hope they ditch the foldout sleeve packaging. Its very hard not get those without scratched discs.
I've loved the packaging - great art, great booklets. Never had an issue with scratched discs - they may get a little scuffed, but still play perfectly. Don't care about blu until the seasons that are in HD.
Old 07-23-17, 02:51 PM   #569
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It will still probably be foldout packaging, but I wish it was different. But I hope they bring back the bluray releases with season 21 since that will be the first full season in HD.
Old 07-23-17, 03:23 PM   #570
DVD Talk Legend

The Simpsons' press release for season 18 made no mention of a possible Blu-ray. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

Old 07-24-17, 09:06 AM   #571
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
It will still probably be foldout packaging, but I wish it was different. But I hope they bring back the bluray releases with season 21 since that will be the first full season in HD.
If the season 18 and 19 sets turn out to generate a lot less revenue than Fox's expectations before they become dump bin fodder, let's hope that Fox outsources it to Kino-Lorber or Olive for seasons 21+ on bluray.
Old 07-25-17, 02:00 PM   #572
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just checked VUDU and every single Simpsons season is now available online for purchase,I still will catch up with the season sets on bluray and dvd, but its nice to have them available if they decide to discontinue the physical media releases again.
Old 07-25-17, 08:02 PM   #573
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I just checked VUDU and every single Simpsons season is now available online for purchase,I still will catch up with the season sets on bluray and dvd, but its nice to have them available if they decide to discontinue the physical media releases again.
There are no special features or commentaries on the VUDU episodes.

It is an option, granted.

Old 07-26-17, 01:47 AM   #574
DVD Talk Reviewer

They did upgrade all the older ones to HDX though, which makes it even more of an insult that season 18 won't be on blu-ray this time.

Old 07-26-17, 09:46 AM   #575
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The Simpsons' press release for season 18 made no mention of a possible Blu-ray. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.
That blows my mind -- they master them in HD and the packaging is standard, unlike the DVDs. Who doesn't own a Blu Ray player of some sort by 2017? How much could it possibly cost to manufacture the Blu Rays if you're putting out the DVDs?

Does anyone have the sale number of Seasons 14-17 & 20 DVD vs BR?

Quote:
They're 2 for $19.99 this week. I'm thinking of starting with 21 and getting 4 or so.
https://www.vudu.com/movies/#choice/20672

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.