Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Annoying glue to the plastic wrap of boxes.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-14, 09:37 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The go to uttermost efforts make a perfected product. And then, in the end, they make some totally crazy choises, like gluing the plastic wrap onto the DVD/Blu-ray box. So very unnecessary! Nothing is ever allowed to stay just perfect. Why?!

And where do they put it? On the spine of course, where title is displayed. On the spot where you least of all want glue.

Do they hire some retard for this job? Reminds me of the bear in Song of the South, "Yeeea, I am gonna put some gluuue here, . . . righte here! on the spiiiine! . . . yee, that's what I'ma gonna doo, . . . put glue on thee spiiiine."

This may seem of inconsequential unimportance. But if so, then why did they have to put it there in the first place?! I keep scratching at it, like on some scabby old wound. But it won't come off!
Old 04-09-14, 01:10 AM

Re: Annoying glue to the plastic wrap of boxes.

I am with you in your anger.

My guess is that the studios just don't care and go with the cheapest packaging they can get away with.
Old 04-09-14, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

add to that price stickers put on slip cases. Either make a sticker that easily comes off or put the plastic wrap AROUND the slip case. I'm tired of picking them off and then trying to smooth them out with goo gone.
Old 04-09-14, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chadm
add to that price stickers put on slip cases. Either make a sticker that easily comes off or put the plastic wrap AROUND the slip case. I'm tired of picking them off and then trying to smooth them out with goo gone.
That's why I always buy slipcover releases on Amazon. They never put stickers on their slipcases.
Old 04-09-14, 12:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Fuck you Best Buy for putting those stickers on the slipcovers that are nearly impossible to remove, even with Goo Gone.
Old 04-09-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't know. I find the stickers on the slipcases very easy to get rid of.
That stupid cellophane glued to the spine is annoying though.
Old 04-09-14, 01:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I do too for the most part - except the Best Buy ones.
Old 04-09-14, 02:00 PM
Banned

That is extremely annoying. Because no matter how hard you try, you never manage to get all the little pieces of the plastic off of the spine.
Old 04-09-14, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jjcool
I don't know. I find the stickers on the slipcases very easy to get rid of.
It all depends on what kind of slipcover it is. Some of the shiny Disney and Marvel ones can lose some of the shiny stuff if you're not careful with them. I've lost some of the shiny stuff on movies like Pinocchio and Toy Story because I wasn't careful. Now, I tend to leave most stickers on blu-ray and dvd covers. I try to get them off using the corner of the sticker and some of the time, they come off really easy. If I can tell that it's going to leave stuff behind, I leave it.
Old 04-09-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Everything done at retail is done to minimize the production costs. The American consumer has proven over and over again they prefer cheap, cheaper and cheapest when it comes to product pricing. That is why most entertainment providers are drooling over digital delivery and the dream of cutting out middlemen retailers. That 10 cents they spend on glue for each unit could go to the fifth producer on a film.
Old 04-09-14, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
^
This

I wish our BDs were wrapped they way they are on (most) UK releases. Never a problem there.
Old 04-10-14, 08:17 AM

What I don't get is why the paper info sheet that is wrapped around steelbooks have to be glued on when they shrinkwrap them anyway. Yes, for the most part those globs of glue come off without a hitch but sometimes they take off some paint with it. I'm sure they'll say the sheet needs to be secure before it can be shrinkwrapped, blah, blah, blah. Customer always gets screwed.

Also, those black security stickers inside BD cases can be impossible to remove and leave endless sticky residue behind.
Old 04-10-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i replace all my eco-cases and since most releases now come in eco-cases i don't really deal with much glue....and if i do i just replace that case as well.
Old 04-10-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

If you replace Eco-Cases with real ones, you should then send them back to the studios who put the discs out. Maybe that'll give them a hint.
Old 04-13-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That melted plastic stuck to the spine will eventually harden and crack after many years, needing a case replacement. The Disney DVD ones are a pain because white blank cases are especially hard to find.
Old 04-13-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Fuck you Best Buy for putting those stickers on the slipcovers that are nearly impossible to remove, even with Goo Gone.
Those price stickers are old school, from the days before barcodes. They needed the price tags to stay there because devious people would switch prices if they came off easily. Apparently no one told them they haven't needed to do that for a good number of years.
Old 04-13-14, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

It seems like without fail every time I get a Blu-ray from Fox I spend a bunch of time trying to peel off the plastic wrap that sticks to the spine and sometimes the spine ends up looking like shit as a result. Other studios don't seem as bad usually.
Old 04-13-14, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
It seems like without fail every time I get a Blu-ray from Fox I spend a bunch of time trying to peel off the plastic wrap that sticks to the spine and sometimes the spine ends up looking like shit as a result. Other studios don't seem as bad usually.
Fox is indeed the worst when it comes to this. In my experience, 9 out of 10 instances of this problem end up being Fox-distributed titles.
Old 04-25-14, 08:31 PM
Cool New Member

I returned my copy of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad that had glue on the spine. And received another copy instead that was free from glue.

BUT WHY in the nine hells, did they have to put a big black sticker on the front of the box (right over the skeleton) of this copy, informing us that this blu-ray can be played on "blu-ray players and playstation 3"? Furthermore the sticker can't be removed without damaging the box. The glue is of a vicious chemical nature that has already warped the surface. THEY COULD HAVE put the sticker on the plastic wrap instead, so that it would've come off easily in the unwrapping. BUT THEY WOULDN'T. THEIR stupidity reaches ASTRONOMICAL PROPORTIONS!
Old 04-26-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

because they want all consumers to indulge their ocd.
Old 04-26-14, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's really bad is when the fucking disc is glued to the packaging. Happens any time you have cheap cardboard box sets, like the Universal Monsters Blu-ray set.
Old 05-01-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition