Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men First Class Blu Cover

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

X-Men First Class Blu Cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: X-Men First Class Blu Cover

Originally Posted by rocket1312
To be fair, I don't think he ever made it a big deal. He just asked a simple question and the thread blew up and got derailed almost immediately. I think if he'd posted this in the covers subforum, no one would have blinked twice.
Agreed. It got derailed by the same people that always seem to derail threads around here.
And no one would have blinked twice had he posted in the covers forum, because very few people ever actually go in there.
Old 03-31-14, 08:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OP, why not go to a Kinko's and pay a pittance to get it scanned?

Also, have you watched the movie yet?
Old 03-31-14, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen the movie yet because it hasn't arrived. And Kinkos doesn't exist anymore. They all turned into something else. Either way, I still don't have the money to get something scanned. Do they even scan and sell something that you haven't made yourself?
Old 03-31-14, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

They probably won't print it. Not sure about scanning it.

So you can afford the flick on BD but not a nominal fee at FedEx-Kinkos/Staples to scan it? Also how much is the DVDProfiler registration?
Old 03-31-14, 10:51 PM
Banned by request

$30.

If you don't have money to get something scanned (which has got be less than a buck, I'd imagine), then you have bigger problems than a Blu-ray cover.

Also, it appears Kinko's has become Fed-Ex Office.
Old 03-31-14, 11:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
They probably won't print it. Not sure about scanning it.

So you can afford the flick on BD but not a nominal fee at FedEx-Kinkos/Staples to scan it? Also how much is the DVDProfiler registration?
I didn't buy the movie. Someone is sending it to me.
Old 04-01-14, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
What turned it into a big deal was that he said he wanted a hi-res cover, then said right after how the movie was probably a piece of crap. Had he simply stated what he was looking for and left it at that, this wouldn't have turned into 3 pages. But yeah, the covers subforum is where threads go to die.
Didn't even know that sub forum existed.
Old 04-02-14, 09:54 AM
Banned

Just finished the movie last night. It was better than I thought it would be. It made me extremely mad, though. I had always thought of Professor X as a good guy. Boy, was I wrong. He's actually a coward. It's been a long time since I've wanted to punch a fictional character in the face. I think the entire cast of Watchmen aside from Rorshach was the last time.

I'm wondering how they're going to explain Havoc. Is he Cyclops's brother or not?

Now, the bad and just plain confusing. Why were most of the characters that were in the movie in the movie? They had characters in the wrong decade. Characters that should have been in the story were nowhere to be seen. Iceman in particular. He never should have been in the X-Men movies. He SHOULD have been in First Class. He was one of the original X-Men, you know. Jean Grey and Cyclops should have been here, too. At least Beast, even as messed up as his origin story was, was here. And the younger version of Stryker didn't look anything like his older self. Which is odd, considering that the next time we see the character is supposed to be only about 10 years after First Class. Also, 10 years later, Professor X appears completely bald and about 40 years older. You think something happened to him that aged him terribly, making him look like Patrick Stewart?

It WAS cool that we saw Nightcrawler's dad. Though, several decades later than we saw him in the comic history.
Old 04-02-14, 09:57 AM
Banned

Again. You fail to understand what an adaptation can be.

All the X films suck ass if you're just going to bitch that they didn't use the story they're using as the bible for the script.
Old 04-02-14, 12:56 PM
Banned

How am I failing to understand anything? I know perfectly well what an adaptation is. It doesn't mean that you have to mess everything up, though, does it? Putting in characters that weren't in the story? I like the first X-Men movie. I'm not bitching about the original X-Men movies. Just the new one that is really messed up. At least the original movies had the correct characters. In the wrong time period, mind you, but at least they were X-Men characters.

By the way, what is First Class an adaptation of? I don't remember this story from the comics. So, how is it an adaptation? Days Of Future Past is an adaptation, true enough. Messed up and completely unrecognizable from the source, but an adaptation nonetheless.

Adaptations don't have to be messed up. Look at the Harry Potter movies. Pretty faithful adaptations of the books, don't you think?

Last edited by HellTrack; 04-02-14 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-02-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by HellTrack
Now, the bad and just plain confusing. Why were most of the characters that were in the movie in the movie? They had characters in the wrong decade. Characters that should have been in the story were nowhere to be seen. Iceman in particular. He never should have been in the X-Men movies. He SHOULD have been in First Class. He was one of the original X-Men, you know. Jean Grey and Cyclops should have been here, too. At least Beast, even as messed up as his origin story was, was here.
Would it have made more sense if Jean Grey and Cyclops had appeared in First Class despite the fact that they shouldn't have even been born according to the timeline of the original film?

And the younger version of Stryker didn't look anything like his older self. Which is odd, considering that the next time we see the character is supposed to be only about 10 years after First Class.
It's odd that they recast a role in a sequel/prequel? That happens all the time.

Also, 10 years later, Professor X appears completely bald and about 40 years older. You think something happened to him that aged him terribly, making him look like Patrick Stewart?
The earliest we see Patrick Stewart as Xavier is in the flashback in The Last Stand. That's at least 20 years after the events of First Class.

None of this matters anyway. First Class is certainly flawed, but hardly because of the reasons that you cite. The comics themselves are littered with these sorts of problems. Shouldn't Cyclops be like 80 by now? How is Wolverine seemingly in 15 different places at once in any given month? A more relevant question would be why didn't they do a better job making the characters that were in the film interesting (Magneto and Xavier aside)?
Old 04-02-14, 03:04 PM
Banned by request

It's not an adaptation of a specific story in the comics. It's an adaptation of the world from comic to screen. So yes, characters get shifted around and timelines get changed. As long as the story remains consistent within its own context (that is, consistent from film to film), this isn't necessarily a problem. The reason that Jean Grey, Cyclops, and Iceman couldn't be in First Class is because they were already in the first three X films, which took place several decades after the events of First Class.

I agree that any individual change can be good or bad, but if you're going to freak out about every single change just because it is a change without evaluating why the change was made or how it affects the overall product, you're in for a bad time.
Old 04-02-14, 03:53 PM
Banned

Would it have made more sense if Jean Grey and Cyclops had appeared in First Class despite the fact that they shouldn't have even been born according to the timeline of the original film?

It's odd that they recast a role in a sequel/prequel? That happens all the time.

The earliest we see Patrick Stewart as Xavier is in the flashback in The Last Stand. That's at least 20 years after the events of First Class.

None of this matters anyway. First Class is certainly flawed, but hardly because of the reasons that you cite. The comics themselves are littered with these sorts of problems. Shouldn't Cyclops be like 80 by now? How is Wolverine seemingly in 15 different places at once in any given month? A more relevant question would be why didn't they do a better job making the characters that were in the film interesting (Magneto and Xavier aside)?
We see Patrick Stewart as Professor X in the very end of Wolverine, which was in the 70s. Only 10 years later than First Class. No, it's not odd that they recast a role. But they could have at least tried to get an actor that even slightly resembled who they're supposed to be. Yeah, Cyclops would be 80 by now. If the comics hadn't started and restarted a million times since the 60s.
Old 04-02-14, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I didn't buy the movie. Someone is sending it to me.
i.e. Downloaded copy.
Old 04-02-14, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

This cover topic turned to a movie topic in an HD Disc forum... That is definitely mutation...
Old 04-02-14, 05:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah, but not like in the comics, so this sucks. Poor adaptation.
Old 04-02-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

As much as we'd all probably like to forget, we also saw him at the end of X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Old 04-02-14, 06:30 PM
Banned by request

X-Men Origins: Wolverine? Never heard of it.
Old 04-02-14, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
i.e. Downloaded copy.
It's not a downloaded copy. I am a member on a website where you watch videos and do surveys and get points. You use the points to bid on pretty much whatever you want. I got this with points.
Old 04-02-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We see Patrick Stewart as Professor X in the very end of Wolverine, which was in the 70s. Only 10 years later than First Class.
I thought X-Men Origins took place in like the late 80s?

If the comics hadn't started and restarted a million times since the 60s.
When were the X-men comics restarted? They weren't restarted anytime from 1991-2006, which is when I followed them. And I don't think they were restarted anytime before then either.
Old 04-02-14, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I thought X-Men Origins took place in like the late 80s?
The conclusion is centered around the 3 Mile Island nuclear accident, which took place on March 28, 1979
Old 04-03-14, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The conclusion is centered around the 3 Mile Island nuclear accident, which took place on March 28, 1979
Huh, really? I must have forgotten that. I haven't seen the movie since it was in theaters. Either way it's still 17 years after the events of First Class.

Edit to add: Also, according to wikipedia, the Stryker in First Class is actually William Stryker Sr. It's been awhile since I saw the movie and I don't remember if it's explicit, but if true that would mean that he is not the same character that appeared in the other films, so the fact that the actors don't look the same is irrelevant.

Last edited by rocket1312; 04-03-14 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-07-14, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It's not a downloaded copy. I am a member on a website where you watch videos and do surveys and get points. You use the points to bid on pretty much whatever you want. I got this with points.
Like this one?: http://www.listia.com/auction/157876...ault&r=2744229
Old 04-07-14, 10:44 PM
Banned

The case on mine is a bit different, though. And it was brand new still in the wrapper. It's a similar site to that, yeah. On the site that I'm on, you either buy the item outright or swap an item with someone. And you also have to pay for shipping.

Nevermind. I forgot that the site used to have a points system, but when they were sold, they changed things. Sucks to have to spend actual money. That's probably why I hadn't been to the site in a long time. I just wanted to see if First Class was as bad as I'd heard. It wasn't. It's probably the best X-Men movie after the first one.

Last edited by HellTrack; 04-07-14 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-08-14, 11:24 AM
Banned

Eehhhhhhhhh.