Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Doomed! The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four - Coming to Blu-Ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Doomed! The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four - Coming to Blu-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-14, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Doomed! The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four - Coming to Blu-Ray

I have seen this movie many times, and personally think it is superior to the Fox big budget movies. For 3 reasons.
1) the actors playing the FF LOOKED right.
2) The costumes were right out of the comic book! - the Thing costume, especially, was impressive.
3) The characters/backstory was more consistent with the comic book origin. Even the part where Ben Grimm was able to turn human and then back to the Thing was spot on from the early FF's comics.

Yes- the minekeeper (or whomever he was) was bad. The SFX were very low budget. Acting wasn't the best and the Doctor Doom costume looked like it cost $2.50.

But it is fun to watch. My daughter saw it recently and said she thought the characters were more like the comic book than the Fox Studio versions.

With low-grade b-movie budget movies, I tend to give them a lot of slack. I still have a certain fondness for this version.

I think it is great that this documentary will be made.
Old 02-10-14, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Doomed! The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four - Coming to Blu-Ray

Joseph Culp is great/terrible in the movie. His over-acting as Dr. Doom is actually a highlight (for me). You can tell he was having a ball.
Old 02-11-14, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Have to add to the love for the unreleased FF film. An overlooked aspect of it that is very good is the score. It's actually very well done and really sets the right mood from the very beginning.

I'd be more interested in this documentary if it included a 1080p copy of the movie.
Old 02-11-14, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Have to add to the love for the unreleased FF film. An overlooked aspect of it that is very good is the score.
Yes! One of the "unofficial" releases I have includes the score as a DVD-Rom feature. I dumped it into my iTunes library way back when and listen to it on a regular rotation.
Old 02-11-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

The footage of the actual movie from that doc looks great. Looking forward to a real release to replace my VHS bootleg.
Old 02-11-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Joseph Culp is great/terrible in the movie. His over-acting as Dr. Doom is actually a highlight (for me). You can tell he was having a ball.
Certainly more entertaining than the pretty boy who played Doom in the FOX productions.
Old 07-26-15, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

FYI, if you're in Southern California, there is a screening August 13th in Santa Monica

http://www.fandango.com/americancine...=8%2F13%2F2015

Also, if you follow their Facebook page, they are still working on the DVD. Apparently there is no longer a BD planned, only DVD.

https://www.facebook.com/DoomedFF

They said announcement coming soon.
Old 07-27-15, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

That sort of sucks about no Blu-ray. Wasn't there initially an order page for a Blu-ray on their site? Did they just do a second run and decide DVD only the second time around or didn't it ever actually release? I might still pick up a copy because it sounds interesting.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-27-15 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-03-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

That bites... I guess I will be getting a DVD... not quite sure why I held out on buying the BR when I first saw it on their site...
Old 08-03-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

It would be cool if they would actually include the movie with the documentary.
Old 08-03-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
It would be cool if they would actually include the movie with the documentary.
Its never actually been officially available right? Just bootlegs as far as I'm aware. I wonder who even owns it.
Old 08-03-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Yeah, far as I know, it has only been as bootlegs.
Old 11-23-15, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone seen this yet? I am still thinking of buying the DVd even though I wanted the Blu-ray (which got canceled)
Old 08-11-16, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/08/rog...rd-1201715756/

Coming to Video on Demand October 11th

DVD and now BD again is coming December 20th.

http://doomedthemovie.com/store/
Old 08-11-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 433 Posts

Great news about the blu.

a couple days ago on the guide for HBO's showing of the recent version the description was for this version. I quicjkly jumped to it but it was the new Fan4tastic instaed.
Old 08-15-16, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/08/rog...rd-1201715756/

Coming to Video on Demand October 11th

DVD and now BD again is coming December 20th.

http://doomedthemovie.com/store/
fyi - i put an order in now as a xmas present. surprised they charged me NOW, rather than when it ships in December!!
Old 08-15-16, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve
fyi - i put an order in now as a xmas present. surprised they charged me NOW, rather than when it ships in December!!
As far as I know, PayPal doesn't have an "authorize now; charge months down the road" feature. I think there's a little bit of a window they allow for (a month or so?), but if you pay with PayPal, expect to be charged immediately.
Old 08-16-16, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Great news about the blu.

a couple days ago on the guide for HBO's showing of the recent version the description was for this version. I quicjkly jumped to it but it was the new Fan4tastic instaed.
That guide error has been circulating since HBO started showing the new movie.
Old 08-16-16, 01:27 PM
Banned

I saw the entire film in all its cheesy goodness on a loaned VHS tape ages ago. I hope Fox will soon give up the rights to these characters. Perhaps the folks at Disney and Marvel will try a reboot once again—perhaps a television series as was done with Daredevil. That would be a far better avenue to take because I think these characters are dead for another theatrical outing for at least a decade.
Old 10-11-16, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk God

https://www.amazon.com/Doomed-Untold...fantastic+four

Available for video on demand as of today.

$4.99 to rent or $9.99 to buy on Amazon.
Old 10-11-16, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only see on demand option. DVD and Blu-ray no longer listed on the official Doomed site.
Old 10-11-16, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by b2net
Only see on demand option. DVD and Blu-ray no longer listed on the official Doomed site.
The dvd and blu-Ray are being sold through a different provider now. Not sure who. They made the announcement on their Facebook page it was transferred elsewhere.
Old 10-17-16, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a long history with this movie. I remember reading about it in Wizard and Hero Illustrated when I was a kid and seeing the still of all four of them together. Even though I wasn't a Fantastic Four fan I was a superhero fan and gobbled up anything I could as it related to super hero movies. So I was really disappointed when it wasn't released.

When I saw this documentary was on VOD I immediately bought it and liked it so much I watched it twice in two days. It really does a good job in showing the kind of dark side of Hollywood business. It's also somewhat depressing to watch as everyone on this movie from the actors to the editor thought it would be their big break only for it to be shelved. However the cast does seem to be in good spirits about it and there are a lot of fun stories to tell. A couple interesting facts from it:

-The composers of the movie spent $8,00 of their own money composing the score.

-The owner of the rights originally approached Troma to do the movie.

-The actor who played Ben Grimm spent $12,00 of his own money touring around the country with the actor who played Mr. Fantastic promoting it and signing autographs at comic cons and comic book stores. Needless to say he was never reimbursed.

-Mark Ruffalo auditioned for Dr. Doom.

-Stan Lee comes across as somewhat of a douche.

It also somewhat clears up the rumor of whether it was to be seen or not. Basically the movie was finished and ready to premiere at the Mall of America. Yes it was done to secure the rights and was somewhat forgotten when finished. However at the last second right before the premiere Avi Arad who sold the rights to the X-Men to Fox stepped in and bought the movie outright for a couple of million dollars to prevent it's release as he was trying to get the rights and set it up at Fox. Even though he isn't interviewed he's said before that he burned all the prints of it.

I also reached the movie on YouTube after watching the documentary and honestly it's a shame it has the reputation that it does. It's low budget and corny but it is a really fun movie. The cast looks right out of the comics, the costumes look out of the comics, it's faithful to the comics and you can see everyone is having a blast. Victor Culp is easily the best live action Dr. Doom that we've had and honestly I think it's better than all the big budget Fox movies.

Overall this documentary is in my opinion easily a 5/5 and comes highly recommended.
Old 10-18-16, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
I have a long history with this movie. I remember reading about it in Wizard and Hero Illustrated when I was a kid and seeing the still of all four of them together. Even though I wasn't a Fantastic Four fan I was a superhero fan and gobbled up anything I could as it related to super hero movies. So I was really disappointed when it wasn't released.
Good overview! I go a long ways back on this one, too, to a time just before Film Threat published their big cover story about the film, presumably unaware of the true nature of the production. Around the same time, I actually copied the rare teaser trailer from a screening cassette of some other Corman film I received when I wrote for a daily newspaper ... just in case. I sat on that for over a decade until YouTube came along. Just noticed now that Valeyard actually linked to it on page 1 of this thread a couple of years ago.

Last edited by Brian T; 10-18-16 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-21-16, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Fantastic documentary.

Rented this from Amazon the other day and finally made the time to watch it. Really thorough account on the making of the movie, the limited finances and eventually when the plug was pulled. Some really great interviews with the principal cast and most of the creative team. I thought that Oley Sassone was really well spoken and had a great attitude about being the director of this film. And damn for someone in her late 50s Rebecca Staab is smoking hot. Really enjoyed hearing Joseph Culp's thoughts on the film. He played Doctor Doom. He said if one day they ever wanted to officially release it and fix it, he would be more than happy to do some ADR on it.

They really had no money to make this. Some of the special effects and costumes were hilariously bad. The Johnny Storm special effects shown in the film made me

Bootlegs of the movie have been out for years and Sassone thinks when he obtained a copy and went to a Post house to make duplicates, someone there decided to make one for himself and then the leak took off.

Not surprised that Stan Lee declined to appear in the film. Even the archived footage of him talking about it showed he wasn't happy about it being made. Roger Corman really spends no money on his schlocky movies and they made it sound like he was treating this property like his usual catalog.

Really amazing what they covered here. Highly recommended rental. It's only $5 and absolutely worth it if you want to see it before the Blu Ray comes out in December.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.