Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

William Friedkin's Sorcerer - April 22

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

William Friedkin's Sorcerer - April 22

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-14, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: William Friedkin's Sorcerer - April 22

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Look here, my motherfuckering amigo. It's a goddamn miracle we have this now. I don't give a fuck about the commentary.
What are you insane, technology and extras are more important than the movie. I want a separate commentary by every member of the cast and crew,
and I want the audio in 13.1 DTS Surround and the video in 3D.
Old 04-08-14, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I thought we were getting a commentary?!

Didn't Friedkin say that?
Friedkin's commentaries are terrible. His voice sounds like Donald Trump, and all he ever does is describe the action you can see on screen. The disc is better off without a commentary.
Old 04-08-14, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw the pics but what were the rumors as to why this doesn't have features?
Old 04-08-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
What are you insane, technology and extras are more important than the movie. I want a separate commentary by every member of the cast and crew,
and I want the audio in 13.1 DTS Surround and the video in 3D.
I agree with your sarcasm. I was hitting Solid Snake with his own earlier comment from page 1 of this thread, just changing out someone's complaint about the cover with "commentary".

As much as I love extra features I just don't have time for them anymore. I can't even remember the last commentary I listened to.
Old 04-08-14, 05:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The only Friedkin commentary worth a damn is the original Exorcist commentary, the one that's split with the audio recordings of the possessed Reagan voice. It's basically an hour long interview where Friedkin talks about the ideas within the film. Any time he does a scene specific commentary it's awful for the reasons Josh outlined above.
Old 04-08-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Friedkin's commentaries are terrible. His voice sounds like Donald Trump, and all he ever does is describe the action you can see on screen. The disc is better off without a commentary.
The only commentary of his I ever heard was To Live and Die in LA. While it's one of the most overused words on the internet, I'll venture to say I found him "pretentious." If this release is properly remastered and no one has fucked with the colors or the sound, that qualified as a victory. Extras would be nice, but if the release of a movie no one ever thought would happen gets a 4K master, that's a pretty big deal. That being said, I would say that my worse enemy "sounds like Donald Trump." That's harsh .

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 04-09-14 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-08-14, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that is the general consensus, but I like his commentaries. He states what is going on in the characters minds as well, a lot of things I miss when watching the film. I hated Bug until I watched him "explain" it to me. Then I had more of an appreciation for it. Maybe I just need to pay more attention.
Old 04-08-14, 07:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HGN2001
It's not so strange among the more civilized forums.
Spread the wealth. We could use more civilized forums. What are these civilized forums?
Old 04-08-14, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
Spread the wealth. We could use more civilized forums. What are these civilized forums?
A Ghandi quote comes to mind....
Old 04-09-14, 03:36 AM
Banned

I'm too uncivilized for that.
Old 04-09-14, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MqcKdww2Pow" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 04-11-14, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the goddamned ad for his memoir printed on the backside of the case?

I love Friedkin to death, I really do. His commentaries for FC, TLADILA, and The Exorcist were some of the first ones I ever listened to, and I still enjoy any new Friedkin commentary I can get my hands on. His working approach to actors is great, and his choice of subject matter is (usually) fantastic.

He was a fucking badass in his heyday, and even stuff like Bug and The Hunted still show me that he's one of the few directors out there that still gives a shit about his work, well into his 60s and 70s.

I do have an itch about this release though. With him pimping his book as hard as he has been (I read it, it's good. Definitely only one side of the man though), it almost feels to me like the actions of a man hard up for some scratch. He's seen the kind of revenue the constant reissues of some of his other flicks keeps churning in, and I can't help but feel there may have been a decision made to hold back on additional content until a re-release.

I'm torn. I love any video package that contains more stories about the working conditions on his sets. More than anything I'd love to chuck away that piece of fuck 4x3 DVD that I've got, but a lot of the allure of these releases to me is being able to hear filmmaking insights.

Sorcerer is a fantastic flick, but I just hate the idea Friedkin (and others) may have held off on added content for an additional re-release.
Old 04-11-14, 12:39 AM
Banned

In the grand scheme of things, it is the film that matters. If Friedkin and this film are that important to you, by the time they release one loaded with extras, if they ever do, you won't miss the $20 you spent on this one.
Old 04-11-14, 08:48 AM

In the grand scheme of things, it is the film that matters. If Friedkin and this film are that important to you, by the time they release one loaded with extras, if they ever do, you won't miss the $20 you spent on this one.
Agreed.

I consider this release to be the "easy version" of seeing a re-release in the theaters. It didn't play anywhere around my area, and if it did, I probably wouldn't want to make the effort to trudge to a theater some 50 miles away on some inconvenient night.

No, this $20 will be spent on a Blu-ray, where I control where and when I see it, on a nice 60" television with sound levels at my discretion.

If the movie is ever released on a future special edition with some enticing extras (that might be hard in my case), then I'll shell out another $20 or $30 in the future. Meantime, I get to enjoy the film the way it was meant to be seen - and can do so now and as many times as I wish to in what time I have left on this earth.

Harry <---- that's a signature. It's my name.
Old 04-11-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Swahili
Is the goddamned ad for his memoir printed on the backside of the case?

I love Friedkin to death, I really do. His commentaries for FC, TLADILA, and The Exorcist were some of the first ones I ever listened to, and I still enjoy any new Friedkin commentary I can get my hands on. His working approach to actors is great, and his choice of subject matter is (usually) fantastic.

He was a fucking badass in his heyday, and even stuff like Bug and The Hunted still show me that he's one of the few directors out there that still gives a shit about his work, well into his 60s and 70s.

I do have an itch about this release though. With him pimping his book as hard as he has been (I read it, it's good. Definitely only one side of the man though), it almost feels to me like the actions of a man hard up for some scratch. He's seen the kind of revenue the constant reissues of some of his other flicks keeps churning in, and I can't help but feel there may have been a decision made to hold back on additional content until a re-release.

I'm torn. I love any video package that contains more stories about the working conditions on his sets. More than anything I'd love to chuck away that piece of fuck 4x3 DVD that I've got, but a lot of the allure of these releases to me is being able to hear filmmaking insights.

Sorcerer is a fantastic flick, but I just hate the idea Friedkin (and others) may have held off on added content for an additional re-release.
I don't know about the ad but the chapter where he talks about the making of Sorcerer will probably be included. Granted, I haven't taken a close look at the package specs or anything, because I'm (like most that are buying it) blind-buying it. I bought the newer boxed set of the 40th anniversary of The Exorcist and that had the mini-book of his memoirs and the section where he goes into detail on what went on when he made that movie. I'd say it's no big deal, because up until then Sorcerer was one of these "mythological" films that you only heard rumblings about. Once the memoir hit, so did the level of interest in getting it finally released to the masses.
Old 04-11-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Sorcerer is highly unlikely to be re-released as a special edition after this. The movie simply doesn't have that much commercial appeal. The Exorcist, sure, you can expect reissues of that every few years. But not Sorcerer.
Old 04-11-14, 01:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorcerer is highly unlikely to be re-released as a special edition after this. The movie simply doesn't have that much commercial appeal. The Exorcist, sure, you can expect reissues of that every few years. But not Sorcerer.
I'm sure it will be explained when I finally see this - but why is this called 'Sorcerer' ? I mean this IS a remake of 'The Wages of Fear' - right? where's the magic element?
Old 04-11-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
I'm sure it will be explained when I finally see this - but why is this called 'Sorcerer' ?
It's the name of one of the trucks used to transport the nitroglycerin.

Also (slight spoiler),
Spoiler:
it refers to the giant battle at the end between the truck drivers and a group of wizards. I know it sounds out of left field, but trust me, it works in the movie.
Old 04-11-14, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did it originally have the same title as the French original and then get changed by the distributors?
Old 04-12-14, 03:42 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No. I think Friedkin always wanted that one. Either that or he's very humble about it cuz he seems happy with it.
Old 04-12-14, 08:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

thanks GreenVulture for the clarification - I can't quote you there, because I'll see the spoiler.
Old 04-12-14, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
thanks GreenVulture for the clarification - I can't quote you there, because I'll see the spoiler.
I wouldn't worry too much about that spoiler Giles.
Old 04-12-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Review is up at DVDBeaver.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-r...er_blu-ray.htm
Old 04-12-14, 01:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
It's the name of one of the trucks used to transport the nitroglycerin.

Also (slight spoiler),
Spoiler:
it refers to the giant battle at the end between the truck drivers and a group of wizards. I know it sounds out of left field, but trust me, it works in the movie.
That's not really true and you know it.

Spoiler:
There's only one true Sorcerer in the film, hence the title. The battle at the end is between the amateur truck drivers and the Sorcerer's trainees, an interesting parallel in that both groups are in their respective situations because they fouled things up back in their old lives and are looking for a way to a better life. It's really the most introspective truck/magic battle I've ever seen put on film, and believe me, I've seen a lot.
Old 04-12-14, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

In the grand scheme of things, it is the film that matters.

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Also (slight spoiler),
Spoiler:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.