Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney Animated Classics 2014 Blu-ray releases

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Walt Disney Animated Classics 2014 Blu-ray releases

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Re: Walt Disney Animated Classics 2014 Blu-ray releases

As per the review by Randy Miller III, it seems that they removed a whole disc of extras. Good thing I still have my Platinum edition.
Old 10-05-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So basically the rule of thumb for the future:

Previous Platinum BD > Diamond Edition

This is actually nothing new for Disney releases. Many of the Diamond BD releases actually have fewer features than the previously released Platinum DVDs. And FTR, their streaming service doesn't count IMO. No confidence the features will last there for too much longer.

So in most cases, it's better to hold onto those Platinum DVD's for the extras in when looking to buy the Diamond edition BD.
Old 10-05-14, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if this will be the start of Disney phasing out the vault scheme. I don't think they'd re-release a title on blu-ray three times.
Old 10-05-14, 10:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I think they decided this as soon as they started making Maleficent. They just figured there's too much money left on the table if they didn't release it again to go with Maleficent. And since they already released it as a Platinum Edition which is now in the vault, doing an abbreviated Diamond release would be the way to go.
Old 10-05-14, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Disney likes dropping special features from reissues and newer editions. If I had to guess, I think they partially do it as an incentive so collectors will buy every single version of the movies they love.
Old 10-06-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The quality and depth of the extras on Disney's DVDs dropped off too. I remember how the Ultimate Toy Box, the Fantasia set and Snow White were really great in terms of extras, then with Beauty and the Beast they started to slip, offering more fluff and crappy games for kids instead of film-buff content for adults. Maybe they just react to how the market changes as it transitions from enthusiasts to casuals.
Old 10-06-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beauty and the Beast got most, if not all the features from the Platinum DVD set. No problems there.

If was Fantasia where they really started to go down hill given the numerous features from the Anthology DVD's were only available via their streaming service. The Lion King was the same way. And after that they didn't even make the DVD features available to stream on some releases, they just got dumped.