Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney Animated Classics 2014 Blu-ray releases

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Walt Disney Animated Classics 2014 Blu-ray releases

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Walt Disney Animated Classics 2014 Blu-ray releases

So in October we get Sleeping Beauty (again), so what's coming next year? Has anything been confirmed or are we just speculating that it's going to be Aladdin and 101 Dalmatians?
Old 09-02-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, if they don't say something about Aladdin by January, I might just get the UK import.

I did find ohter high-priced titles bedsides Beauty and the Beast: Snow White and Sleeping Beauty.

I haven't seen the Little Mermaid II so I'm still thinking about getting it. It is not going to the vault?
Old 09-02-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Yeah, if they don't say something about Aladdin by January, I might just get the UK import.

I did find ohter high-priced titles bedsides Beauty and the Beast: Snow White and Sleeping Beauty.

I haven't seen the Little Mermaid II so I'm still thinking about getting it. It is not going to the vault?
There never seems to be any reason to which of the DTV sequels go into the vault or not. The original LM is going in for sure, but the 2 pack of the sequels may not. But as an example, I believe the Lion King sequels are in the vault along with the original. Given that, I think there is a chance the LM sequels could follow their lead.
Old 09-03-14, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
There never seems to be any reason to which of the DTV sequels go into the vault or not. The original LM is going in for sure, but the 2 pack of the sequels may not. But as an example, I believe the Lion King sequels are in the vault along with the original. Given that, I think there is a chance the LM sequels could follow their lead.
I'm pretty sure that all the DTV sequels go back into the vault when the original does.
Old 09-03-14, 07:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
I'm pretty sure that all the DTV sequels go back into the vault when the original does.
Disney doesn't require all existing stock to be returned when movies go back in the vaults. This, added to the fact that the sequels generally stick around longer in warehouses than the originals do, adds to the confusion that the sequels are not returned to the vaults at the same time.
Old 09-03-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wahlers
Disney doesn't require all existing stock to be returned when movies go back in the vaults. This, added to the fact that the sequels generally stick around longer in warehouses than the originals do, adds to the confusion that the sequels are not returned to the vaults at the same time.
That's not my understanding of the process. Maybe some smaller retailers keep their stock, but I've seen plenty of evidence that Disney does require them to stop being listed for sale and returned.
Old 09-03-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hard so say if that is the current process or not since there hasn't been a lot of sequel BDs released.

But in the past (pre-BD era) it was quite normal for the DTV sequels to remain in print while the original went in the vault.
Old 09-03-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The market was usually awash in DTV sequel stock long after anything had been pulled from the market. They just don't sell like the originals.
Old 09-03-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The market was usually awash in DTV sequel stock long after anything had been pulled from the market. They just don't sell like the originals.
Plenty always on the market, but not at retail sites like Amazon or Target once they are supposed to hit the vault.

And not all DTV sequels are that way. The Lion King 2 BD is pretty pricy right now on the 2nd hand market. And before the BD I came out I sold my DVD copy of the same title for enough to cover my purchasing of the BD set.
Old 09-03-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

I have definitely seen them on shelves at big box retailers after the vault date. Not for long usually, but many places are not pulling them right on the vault date.
Old 09-03-14, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard so say if that is the current process or not since there hasn't been a lot of sequel BDs released.

But in the past (pre-BD era) it was quite normal for the DTV sequels to remain in print while the original went in the vault.
Well, as a frequent DMC member, I can tell you that every time they advertised a title was going back into the vault, the DTV sequels, if any, went with it. However, that's not to say that you can't find the vaulted sequels for a descent price. They are less in demand then the originals.
Old 09-03-14, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I have definitely seen them on shelves at big box retailers after the vault date. Not for long usually, but many places are not pulling them right on the vault date.
Don't doubt it has happened. I've seen it too and purchased a copy at the last minute. The local Blockbuster store seemed to keep them out till they sold. Doesn't mean they were not supposed to pull them on the vault date.

Well, as a frequent DMC member, I can tell you that every time they advertised a title was going back into the vault, the DTV sequels, if any, went with it. However, that's not to say that you can't find the vaulted sequels for a descent price. They are less in demand then the originals.
As an example, I don't remember the Little Mermaid, Jungle Book, and Lady and the Tramp sequel DVD's ever being unavailable. When the BD's came out of each it wasn't an "out of the vault" promotion for the sequels, just a first time on BD thing. Might have it wrong, but given the promotions not being "out of the vault" like the originals, I don't think so.
Old 09-03-14, 07:43 PM

I think a lot of them weren't in the vault before Disney started releasing titles on BD, but as they've released them on BD, alongside their sequels, they've put the sequels back into the vault with the original at the end of its run.
Old 09-03-14, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think a lot of them weren't in the vault before Disney started releasing titles on BD, but as they've released them on BD, alongside their sequels, they've put the sequels back into the vault with the original at the end of its run.
Lady and the Tramp BD seems to be in the vault
Lady and the Tramp II seems to be still available.

We'll see what happens when it's time for The Jungle Book to go back in the vault.
Old 09-03-14, 11:59 PM

Lady and the Tramp II went back into the vault with the original on April 30, 2013. Some retailers still have it available, as they have not sold thru their stock. It is also not available from the Disney Movie Club, which if it were in print, it certainly would be.

Source: http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Lady_an...39;s_Adventure
Old 09-04-14, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lady and the Tramp II went back into the vault with the original on April 30, 2013. Some retailers still have it available, as they have not sold thru their stock.
Then that clearly points to them having changed their official vault policy for retailers. Interesting.
Old 09-04-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Then that clearly points to them having changed their official vault policy for retailers. Interesting.
What official vault policy is that?
Old 09-04-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Pulling it on vault day.
Old 09-05-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Years ago I used to have a link to a scan of the old policy. But it seems over the years I lost it. Might not be out there anymore anyway.
Old 09-05-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Pulling it on vault day.
Was that ever the "policy"? We would never send stuff back that went on moratorium. Just no new stock after that date.
Old 09-05-14, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
Was that ever the "policy"? We would never send stuff back that went on moratorium. Just no new stock after that date.
It was 3rd party info, but I've people report that Disney was monitoring (they received letters from Disney) if they had online listing for titles that had been put back in the vault. They used to be very strict about it, at least online.
Old 09-05-14, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

IDK. Wasn't Amazon in a dispute with Disney about something? I think it was over higher prices for Disney titles so probably not related to vault titles. Walmart and Best Buy don't have the vault titles, but Amazon has them just at higher prices. What other stores would still sell vault titles?
Old 09-05-14, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger
IDK. Wasn't Amazon in a dispute with Disney about something? I think it was over higher prices for Disney titles so probably not related to vault titles. Walmart and Best Buy don't have the vault titles, but Amazon has them just at higher prices. What other stores would still sell vault titles?
Amazon doesn't have all the vault titles. Most of them are 3rd party sellers. Lady and the Tramp 2, however is available from Amazon directly.
Old 09-05-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was 3rd party info, but I've people report that Disney was monitoring (they received letters from Disney) if they had online listing for titles that had been put back in the vault. They used to be very strict about it, at least online.
Maybe in the internet days this was a policy. Before internet shopping was big, this was definitely not an enforced policy. these moratorium titles would be sold, until supplies were exhausted and simply not replenished. Even now, I know I have gotten some disney titles after they were supposedly "returned to the vault" from both major online and brick and mortar retailers.
Old 10-01-14, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like they really fumbled the re-release of Sleeping Beauty. It's missing TONS of special features (and only comes bundled with 1 blu ray instead of 2 like last time). Here are the missing features:

Cine-Explore In-Movie Experience: Featuring original concept art, production photos and other materials
Grand Canyon: Short film shown before Sleeping Beauty during its original theatrical release
Original Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Walkthrough Attraction
History of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough Attraction
Sequence 8: A closer look at a particularly difficult scene that was in production for 2 years
Sleeping Beauty Deleted Songs: "It Happens I Have A Picture," "Riddle Diddle," "Go To Sleep"
Sleeping Beauty Alternate Opening
Storyboard Sequences (SD): "The Fairies Put The Castle To Sleep," "The Capture Of The Prince"
Original Live-Action Reference Film Footage (SD)
The Peter Tchaikovsky Story: 49-minute dramatization
Four Artists Paint One Tree: Featuring Walt Peregoy, Josh Meador, Eyvind Earle and Marc Davis
Sleeping Beauty Art Galleries: Which featured hundreds of images
Publicity: Which housed three theatrical trailers
4 BD Games: Dragon Encounter, Maleficent's Challenge, Briar Rose's Enchanted Dance, Fun with Language
Princess Fun Facts: Trivia Track
Music Video: Once Upon a Dream
Disney Song Selection Suite
Song Lyrics Subtitle Track

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.