Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween 35th Anniversary BD

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

supervised by Dean Cundey

http://halloweenmovies.com/?p=1550
Old 06-11-13, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts
Re: Halloween 35th Anniversary BD

I hope the tv version is included. Doubt it though.
Old 06-12-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TV version would be great for bluray! I still have it on DVD....
Old 06-12-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

I'm not a horror guy, but I love Halloween and I've been avoiding the last few releases due to the messed up color timing. Anything beyond an improved transfer is gravy as far as I'm concerned, but I did read somewhere (Carpenter's facebook page?) that he recorded a new commentary track with Jamie Lee Curtis, so that should be good.
Old 06-12-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I would also love to see the TV version included. That's the only reason why I'm hanging onto that old Anchor Bay release.
Old 06-12-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

It would be kind of cool if they included both the TV version from the old DVD as well as an "authentic" TV version that includes the additional scenes, content censored for broadcast, and presented in 4:3 pan and scan.

Potentially blasphemous, I know, but the network TV broadcast (with new footage) was kind of a big deal at the time, and to have it presented the way it was back then would be kind of cool.
Old 06-12-13, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It would be kind of cool if they included both the TV version from the old DVD as well as an "authentic" TV version that includes the additional scenes, content censored for broadcast, and presented in 4:3 pan and scan.

Potentially blasphemous, I know, but the network TV broadcast (with new footage) was kind of a big deal at the time, and to have it presented the way it was back then would be kind of cool.
I agree! I'd love both versions, since there may be more changes to the network TV version in terms of what was cut for time,content, and if any alternate footage was used at all. So it'd be cool to see that version since they hardly air old school TV edits anymore. Also it'd fit perfectly with the Halloween 2 release from Scream Factory.

Also I can't see it costing any money to get this version since it's already created on a broadcast master tape somewhere, and just needs to be transferred to DVD.
Old 06-12-13, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I agree! I'd love both versions, since there may be more changes to the network TV version in terms of what was cut for time,content, and if any alternate footage was used at all. So it'd be cool to see that version since they hardly air old school TV edits anymore. Also it'd fit perfectly with the Halloween 2 release from Scream Factory.

Also I can't see it costing any money to get this version since it's already created on a broadcast master tape somewhere, and just needs to be transferred to DVD.
They would have to add something interesting such as that to get me to buy the Blu-ray again - something more than just some tweaked color timing.

The old Criterion CAV laserdisc is the only edition I can think of that contains the original 4:3 altered TV footage, although it's just the individual scenes.

A few years ago they discovered many reels of the original camera footage containing all of the different B-roll takes. Haven't heard what they did with the footage but it would be nice to get some of that as well.
Old 06-12-13, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

This will [probably] be my first Blu-ray purchase of this movie. I have the 2 VHS orange edition and the 2-disc 25th DVD... Hopefully they add a lot of documentaries and new commentaries.
Old 06-13-13, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by orangerunner
A few years ago they discovered many reels of the original camera footage containing all of the different B-roll takes. Haven't heard what they did with the footage but it would be nice to get some of that as well.
Don May Jr. at Synapse found that footage. Maybe he's holding on to it in case he some day can wrestle the rights away from Anchor Bay?
Old 06-13-13, 02:58 AM

Sweet, ten years after we were first presented with the current transfer. I'll always associate the blackout of 2003 with the H25 DVD, because I had recieved the disc in the mail and immediately watched the movie and the documentary. Not ten minutes later did the power go out. My expectations are really high for this transfer, it would be my first Blu Ray double dip.
Old 06-13-13, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 895 Likes on 720 Posts

I also was confused with all the color-timing issues. Too much blue, too much teal, too dark, etc. I bought the Anchor Bay Blu (2006 or 2007?), which I thought finally fixed those issues. Did it not?

Anyway, looking forward to this 35th Anniv edition, and I hope it truly restores the original 1978 bright look of the film. It should also have a better transfer than the original Blu. And, the TV version would be great to have, but would require a seperate encode, thereby reducing the bitrate of the theatrical by at least half. So, unless it's on an extra disc, for that reason, I'd rather not have that TV version if it would compromise the quality of the theatrical. I'll keep my DVD of the TV version just in case.
Old 06-13-13, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
I also was confused with all the color-timing issues. Too much blue, too much teal, too dark, etc. I bought the Anchor Bay Blu (2006 or 2007?), which I thought finally fixed those issues. Did it not?
From what I recall, the gold standard Halloween issue is the DVD version from 1999. Early versions had a lenticular cover and it was released in an unlimited version (1 disc) and a limited edition (2 discs, second disc was the extended version with tv scenes). This is the one with the correct color-timing, though the transfer is kind of spotty. NOT to be confused with the original Anchor Bay Halloween DVD, which was non-anamorphic and had a notoriously reviled transfer, and should be avoided at all costs.

The 25th Anniversary Divimax version is the one with the color timing problems. Most of the problems are that blue tints were removed from some nighttime scenes and the color was undesaturated (or re-saturated) from outdoor daytime scenes. Halloween was filmed in the springtime in California and the grass and trees were much greener than they should have been for late October in the Midwest.

The 2007 blu-ray Halloween is, more or less, a direct port of the Divimax, though some limited corrections have been made; mostly, I believe, to the aforementioned outdoor scenes.
Old 06-13-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I assume they would just import the same commentary track from the 25th Anniversary Divimax DVD, especially since Producer Debra Hill, who was on that track, died from cancer several years ago.
Old 06-13-13, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

If the transfer is good and there's some new extras I'll probably pick it up even though I've got the original Blu-ray. Also have the old 1999 two disc set that has the correct color timing and the tv version. It would be nice if the tv version were included on the new set.
Old 06-29-13, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pre-order link is up over at blu-ray.com:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Halloween-Blu-ray/54082/

Interesting that it says "1 Movie, 2 Cuts", but I don't think specs are confirmed yet.
Old 06-29-13, 12:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Hmm.

Maybe.

I've owned this so many times on DVD and Blu-ray....but I guess once more when it hits $15 or less.
Old 06-29-13, 12:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

don't have any of the series on Blu so easy pick up for me.
Old 06-30-13, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

It's nice how P.J. Soles is sharing the same billing as Pleasance and Curtis on that Blu ray cover. Totally.

Last edited by PatD; 06-30-13 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-30-13, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Pre-order link is up over at blu-ray.com:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Halloween-Blu-ray/54082/

Interesting that it says "1 Movie, 2 Cuts", but I don't think specs are confirmed yet.
That's fan art and fan submitted 'specs'. Basically their wish list, since nothing official about the specs or cover have been released yet. That's one thing that really annoys me about that site, other than the endless bickering in numerous threads.
Old 06-30-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll get this sight unseen I'm sure (it's my favorite movie!) but damn I hope it's awesome. I would take the TV version as a bonus feature in standard def, ala Shout's Halloween II release, but an HD bump would be nice, too.

The whole living main cast is willing to talk about the experience so there's always room for more interviews. In a perfect world, we'd get a huge doc on the whole series, a Donald Pleasance retrospective and a round table with all the actors who played Mikey.
Old 06-30-13, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

*Taken from blu-ray.com

Looks like it's a new commentary track from Carpenter and Curtis.

I remember when the Divimax DVD was released 10 years ago and there was debate on what was the true color scheme of the film should be, Cundey's 1999 approved transfer or basically anything NOT that transfer. I remember seeing a screenshot of the Criterion laserdisc that looked closer to what we have now on blu ray instead of the super blue hues of Cundey's transfer. Wouldn't it be safe to assume that Cundey's transfer falls in the "revision" category if this is the case?
Old 06-30-13, 10:24 PM

Here is one alternate scene since it was edited for content. This is why the true T.V. version would be cool to see released along side the extended print.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LNM9ZrU8Pqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also in regards to the blue in some scenes. The other t.v. alternate scenes available on Youtube seem to have a decent blue tint to the scenes. Especially compared to the divimax release which was the last version I saw of the film. I don't know how the current Blu-ray looks, but I'd certainly want a more true color timing to the new release that is as close to the original intent as possible.
Old 07-19-13, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This release is a digibook:

Old 07-19-13, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Digibook is cool, artwork on it not so much. Although it does say it's not final so maybe it'll change.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.