Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Into Darkness Preorder Up (Fall 2013)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek Into Darkness Preorder Up (Fall 2013)

Old 08-29-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Preorder Up (Fall 2013)

Yeah, I'm thinking I may sit this one out now.. heck I bought the first one on DVD and only watched it once since then.
Old 08-29-13, 08:47 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

eh...fuck it. i liked the movie enough. so i will be getting the Target version most likely. yes, i would like to get all the featurettes, but what can you do? i really just want the movie itself...
Old 08-29-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I'll wait this out. If Paramount doesn't double-dip with a comprehensive edition down the road, what are the odds of a region free disc from another country having everything?
Old 08-29-13, 09:39 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113

So basically, unless I watch it on my computer or buy an Apple TV, I'm suck. Great incentive there.
Yep, that's how iTunes Movie Rentals/Purchases have worked for 8 years now.
Old 08-29-13, 09:43 AM
Suspended

Yikes. Moving all those bonus features around is pretty messed up. Wasn't planning on buying this anyway...but it's still an annoyance.

And Bill:
I’ll tell you this much: Outside of the Paramount catalog titles, which Warner Bros is currently doing a very nice job on, I would not buy another Paramount Blu-ray release of any title until they stop taking advantage of their customers like this
Classic. Don't start the article with "I received a Blu-ray review copy of Paramount’s Star Trek Into Darkness." and later claim you won't buy a Paramount Blu-ray.
Old 08-29-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Pre-ordered this on Amazon. Guess I should cancel it. Pretty fucked up release.

Really? A commentary on ITunes?
Old 08-29-13, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if the stores don't push more and more studios to do this crap. Can't price match any longer if every retailer has different disc contents or cover/packaging.
Old 08-29-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Yikes. Moving all those bonus features around is pretty messed up. Wasn't planning on buying this anyway...but it's still an annoyance.

And Bill:

Classic. Don't start the article with "I received a Blu-ray review copy of Paramount’s Star Trek Into Darkness." and later claim you won't buy a Paramount Blu-ray.

Yeah, that made me chuckle.
Old 08-29-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
I wouldn't be surprised if the stores don't push more and more studios to do this crap. Can't price match any longer if every retailer has different disc contents or cover/packaging.
Then let one retailer have a steelbook, let another retailer have a little trinket of some kind, let others have exclusive covers. Or a lenticular slipcover; I hear some people go apeshit over those.

But taking a special edition, and then spreading the content across different retailers and download services is bullshit.

It sucked enough when it was done with Django Unchained, and this is even worse.

What's next? Get the first third of the movie exclusively from Target or iTunes, get the middle third of the movie exclusively from Best Buy or Vudu, and get the final third of the movie from all other retailers?
Old 08-29-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
I know with Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, they put the lion's share of bonus content into the Best Buy edition. There were a few iTunes-exclusive featurettes, I think, but at least they were included with the iTunes Digital Copy that came with the Blu-ray combo pack. It's a bit unclear to me right now, but it seems Paramount is apparently making disc purchasers choose between the UltraViolet and iTunes Digital Copies with Star Trek Into Darkness. At least with Ghost Protocol, we got both.
That sucks, but at least it'd qualify as meeting halfway.

Farming out the commentary track is a brand new low.
Agreed.

I think I've lost my enthusiasm for this release, which is particularly disappointing for me. I enjoyed it enough I went to see it during its theatrical run twice - which is not common for me these days.
I saw it three times and I was pretty jazzed for this release, but now I'm just going to buy a used copy at most. Hopefully there'll be another release in six months that has all of the damn stuff. Hopefully.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I half considered canceling my Target pre-order, but even if a big boycott happens, Paramount will just think interest in Star Trek has gone down.
I seriously doubt a boycott from the 75 remaining Trekkies would much dent the sales.

But if I can get some of these features without re-buying the movie, I will. As far as I'm concerned, I've paid for the product, Paramount just did a bad job delivering it all in one place. And they wonder why piracy is on the rise.
I'm not paying for it, if you can't do something correctly, you shouldn't do it at all. I bend over backwards not bootleg stuff, and this is the thanks I get? You know, I'll pay more for the physical media, I'll pay more for the special edition, hell, I'll pay more for the import. But offer some damn incentive.

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
Just read about how split up these special features are I can't help other then to think how crazy this is getting. Cases, covers etc. is one thing. Content should be universal on the blu-rays. They ware making things far too complicated. DVD Edition with whatever extras work for it- Blu-Ray with everything! (DVD, 3D etc..) There, simple as they charge enough as it is.
I just worry that these retailer exclusives are a sign of how desperate studios are to keep physical media afloat. Like Microsoft offering exclusives to digital gamers for the XBOX ONE, I'm worried people like they and Paramount are just the fist to make an unpopular decision that'll become more and more commonplace increasingly quickly.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Fuck Paramount.

I won't be buying any version of this blu-ray. I'm not going to play these games.
I'm not either, my concern is that this is going to be the one and only release and we're never going to get the stuff.

Originally Posted by OldBoy
eh...fuck it. i liked the movie enough. so i will be getting the Target version most likely. yes, i would like to get all the featurettes, but what can you do? i really just want the movie itself...
You could get a used copy, send a mess that you won't stand for this crap. But it also might not be important to you if you just want the movie, in which case go for it.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I'll wait this out. If Paramount doesn't double-dip with a comprehensive edition down the road, what are the odds of a region free disc from another country having everything?
I can play discs from other regions, the questions are what are the odds, when will the double-dip come out, and is this an increasing trend?

Well, it's not like he paid money for a review copy. To be fair. And he is 100% right about the director's cuts that're still MIA on Blu-Ray too. And if they didn't come out to coincide with this, we aren't likely to them at any point in the future. Maybe if a third film comes out or for the 50th anniversary in 2016 (which is a ways out), but doubtful.

Yep, that's how iTunes Movie Rentals/Purchases have worked for 8 years now.
Fucking wonderful. Great way to fight piracy, lousy way to treat purchasers. Maybe I'd be more inclined to do it if could actually watch the fucking things.
Old 08-29-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Reading about what Paramount is trying to pull off, my signature down below, seems more relevant than ever.
Old 08-29-13, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts

While I agree that splitting up the bonus features to a host of retailer exclusives is a major dick move on Paramount's part, let's try to keep perspective. All of these featurettes are probably going to be crappy EPK "OMG, we all had the best time working together!" fluff anyway. The commentary that's been foisted off to iTunes is the only feature of any significance that I would actually miss.
Old 08-29-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And Bill:

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, that made me chuckle.
If you could get past your hate-on for Bill Hunt, you'd see the bigger point: *In spite of* the fact that he got a review copy, he's still saying not to buy the product. How many other reviewers would tap-dance around such an issue so as to keep the free product coming? He just put a bullseye on his back as far as Paramount is concerned.
Old 08-29-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
So basically, unless I watch it on my computer or buy an Apple TV, I'm suck. Great incentive there.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple, where everything is proprietary and nothing is compatible with anything outside the ecosystem.
Old 08-29-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
But taking a special edition, and then spreading the content across different retailers and download services is bullshit.
You get no argument from me on this!
Old 08-29-13, 11:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This German version appears to have all of the special features, except of course for the commentary: http://www.amazon.de/Star-Trek-Into-...+into+darkness

It is region free. Not sure if I feel like dealing with importing, though.

There's also a version from a company called Media Markt which has all of the special features (again, except commentary), plus the 2D and 3D versions of the film in the same steelbook case as Wal-Mart is getting. However, that company doesn't ship internationally.

And finally Amazon.de has their own version of the phaser edition which has its own steelbook with different artwork, but it's sold out at Amazon.
Old 08-29-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
If you could get past your hate-on for Bill Hunt, you'd see the bigger point: *In spite of* the fact that he got a review copy, he's still saying not to buy the product. How many other reviewers would tap-dance around such an issue so as to keep the free product coming? He just put a bullseye on his back as far as Paramount is concerned.

My hate-on? Really. I responded to a comment and that automatically makes me hate on him? Tell me more.
Old 08-29-13, 11:21 AM
Banned by request

And apparently this German version includes all of the non-commentary extras AND the 3D disc has the shifting aspect ratios found in IMAX: http://www.amazon.de/Star-Trek-Into-...rkness+blu+ray

The US version keeps a consistent aspect ratio.

I'm going to go ahead and order this German version. I'm canceling the Target version, first because it's fugly, and second, because fuck you Paramount.

By the way, the German version comes out to just under $35 after standard shipping, which is less than the Target 3D version after tax. Of course, you won't get it on release day, but still.
Old 08-29-13, 11:25 AM
Suspended

My hate-on? Really. I responded to a comment and that automatically makes me hate on him? Tell me more.
Some people treat Bill as a God.

Me? I'm still waiting for an official announcement of Twin Peaks and X-Files he promised "soon".

Back to Star Trek...

The Bd comes with an iTunrs digital copy. So you can listen to the commentary....
Old 08-29-13, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Supermallet
And apparently this German version includes all of the non-commentary extras AND the 3D disc has the shifting aspect ratios found in IMAX: http://www.amazon.de/Star-Trek-Into-...rkness+blu+ray

The US version keeps a consistent aspect ratio.

I'm going to go ahead and order this German version. I'm canceling the Target version, first because it's fugly, and second, because fuck you Paramount.

By the way, the German version comes out to just under $35 after standard shipping, which is less than the Target 3D version after tax. Of course, you won't get it on release day, but still.
Region coding?
Old 08-29-13, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably directed more at Gizmo then you.
Old 08-29-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's directed at the years of hate for Bill Hunt.
Old 08-29-13, 11:49 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Probably directed more at Gizmo then you.
Yeah, me.
Old 08-29-13, 11:49 AM
Banned by request

Region coding?
No.
Old 08-29-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I just totalled up the price if you were to buy every exclusive to get all the special features. It would be cheaper to buy your own starship and make your own adventures. Fuck you Paramount. Good thing I hate, loathe and despise the film so I had no intention of buying it. Still sucks for fans of it though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.