Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 06-18-13, 10:21 AM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: True Lies & The Abyss Blus in 2014, plus The X-Files & Twin Peaks

Aspect ratio has nothing to do with resolution. A 4:3 pillarboxed picture has the same amount of black bars as a 2.35:1 letterboxed picture, just on the sides rather than the top and bottom. Would you say that Iron Man or Lord of the Rings or [insert name of "epic" blockbuster here] don't benefit from HD? Of course not.

Netflix and VUDU both offer Twin Peaks in high-def streaming. While not perfect (it's clearly an old transfer), the show looks much better than DVD.
My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
Old 06-18-13, 10:24 AM   #27

Just to be clear, I know all of this fully well. I just wanted to make sure that's what the poster I quoted meant.
Old 06-18-13, 05:20 PM   #28
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
For those Jazzing over Twin Peaks on blu, it would still be 1:33, can that show really look any better than the current dvd?
It's still 480 lines of resolution vs 1080 lines of resolution.

The only 1.33:1 material that wouldn't benefit from a blu-ray transfer would be stuff that was filmed or edited on videotape.

Even then, Star Trek: TNG, which was edited on video, is being re-edited and remastered from the original film elements.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 06-21-13, 11:05 PM   #29
DVD Talk God

Holy shit. I missed this thread. True Lies! Hell yeah! One of my favorite movies ever!
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 06-22-13, 02:46 AM   #30
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've already got True Lies on D-VHS- one of the less than 100 titles released on that format.
Old 06-24-13, 06:41 PM   #31
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it too much to hope that both films are presented as originally seen in theaters, with NO revisionist color timing? I'll just bet we get both with a teal / blue hue to them. If so, I'm sure that many folks will be royally pissed after waiting YEARS for any high-def treatment. Fingers crossed, but doubtful.
Old 06-25-13, 10:35 AM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Is it too much to hope that both films are presented as originally seen in theaters, with NO revisionist color timing? I'll just bet we get both with a teal / blue hue to them. If so, I'm sure that many folks will be royally pissed after waiting YEARS for any high-def treatment. Fingers crossed, but doubtful.
If Cameron is involved with the remasters at all, both will be heavily teal and orange. He LOVES teal and orange now.
Old 06-25-13, 11:18 AM   #33
DVD Talk Hero

Well True Lies wouldn't suffer that much. Similar to Terminator 2, most every night shot was blue already.
So there's simultaneously a super secret team of giant robots and a super secret team of technologically enhanced super soldiers, and neither team knows about the other? The governments in these movies must be far more effective than our actual government. Well, damn it, I want some realism and mature adult themes in my giant robot and super soldier movies! - Suprmallet
Old 06-25-13, 02:43 PM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Well True Lies wouldn't suffer that much. Similar to Terminator 2, most every night shot was blue already.
Blue is not the same color as teal. These are different colors. Teal is a mix of green and blue. Blue is an aesthetically pleasing primary color. Teal is a gaudy eyesore.

With the remasters for Aliens and The Terminator, Cameron removed all the blue and replaced it with teal. He loves teal. It's the only color he wants everything to be now.
Old 06-25-13, 03:11 PM   #35
DVD Talk Hero

To be honest, I wonder how high you guys have your color set on your TV's. If anything, I think the remaster of The Terminator looks desaturated.

Yes, the color timing has been changed but it doesn't look gaudy. The overall effect is that everything looks desaturated with the new color timing. Sure I prefer the color balance of the DVD in that example but the new color timing is far from terrible and actually fits the bleak tone of the movie.
So there's simultaneously a super secret team of giant robots and a super secret team of technologically enhanced super soldiers, and neither team knows about the other? The governments in these movies must be far more effective than our actual government. Well, damn it, I want some realism and mature adult themes in my giant robot and super soldier movies! - Suprmallet
Old 06-25-13, 09:10 PM   #36
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
The Abyss would probably look hideous in teal/orange.

Too bad it never got an anamorphic DVD transfer.

I'm so fucking tired of blu-rays of great movies getting transfers with fucked up color. (FOTR EE, I'm looking at you.)

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 06-25-13, 09:11 PM   #37
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh. That picture makes me sad. Sure, it might look nice to the modern viewer's eye, but it no longer looks like the 1984 picture that it is.
Old 06-25-13, 10:06 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

True Lies will be tealed up on the new transfer, make no mistake.
Old 06-26-13, 07:49 AM   #39

Quote:
To be honest, I wonder how high you guys have your color set on your TV's. If anything, I think the remaster of The Terminator looks desaturated.

Yes, the color timing has been changed but it doesn't look gaudy. The overall effect is that everything looks desaturated with the new color timing. Sure I prefer the color balance of the DVD in that example but the new color timing is far from terrible and actually fits the bleak tone of the movie.

I'm all for correcting color timing if there was an issue with a previous release to actually correct, but I'm not here for revisionism.
Old 06-26-13, 09:48 AM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
My projector is calibrated to a DeltaE of less than 1. What I'm seeing are the colors encoded in the transfer.

It's not about saturation. It's about being entirely the wrong color.

Quote:
Yes, the color timing has been changed but it doesn't look gaudy. The overall effect is that everything looks desaturated with the new color timing.
To each their own. It looks to me just like every single movie made since 2000, which is not what a movie made in 1984 is supposed to look like.
Old 06-26-13, 01:28 PM   #41
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would pick up Twin Peaks but not for more than about $50.
Old 06-26-13, 05:14 PM   #42
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is anyone in a position to actually tell Cameron that his films should be encoded in 1080p with the color schemes as originally presented? The fans, of which there are millions, want this. Will it do any good? I suppose Cameron is enough of an arrogant bastard that he'll do as he wishes, fans be damned. A pity.
Old 06-26-13, 06:36 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Is anyone in a position to actually tell Cameron that his films should be encoded in 1080p with the color schemes as originally presented? The fans, of which there are millions, want this.
Yet sales will be in the hundred of thousands... Either way.

fitprod
Old 06-26-13, 09:38 PM   #44
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

To each their own. It looks to me just like every single movie made since 2000, which is not what a movie made in 1984 is supposed to look like.
It is ironic that, after winning the aspect ratio war, we now have to deal with movies being re-colored.

If I wanted to see The Terminator like that, I'd wear sunglasses while I was watching it.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 06-26-13, 10:10 PM   #45
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
My projector is calibrated to a DeltaE of less than 1. What I'm seeing are the colors encoded in the transfer.

I get that it's not correct. But the use of the word gaudy does not bring to mind what I see here. If you'd said it now looks muted compared the warmer tones it originally exhibited, I'd agree. And I do prefer the original colors but, to be honest, the newer ones don't bother me as I thought they would. Not even the remixed audio bothers me.

On the subject of the audio, did it get remixed yet again? This BD is the first time I've seen the movie outside of VHS so I never heard the remixed track before. However, I did watch a comparison video on youtube regarding infamous change to the gunfire audio during the iconic "Sarah Connor?" scene. The gunfire I heard on the BD did not sound like either of the two versions. There was a bit of the new "thwip" but it was pushed further into the background of a new "crack" and a noticeable LFE kick. Or is that difference simply the result of some limitation of audio on youtube?
Old 06-26-13, 10:20 PM   #46
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

None of the screenshots I've seen online over the yrs from films accused of color timing are representative of what I see on my tv. I've seen Terminator probably a half dozen times over the years, and I was aware of the color timing accusations while watching... even looking for it I couldn't discern a noticeable difference from before. If T1 is representative of new transfers for these I say bring it on.
Old 06-27-13, 10:01 AM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
On the subject of the audio, did it get remixed yet again? This BD is the first time I've seen the movie outside of VHS so I never heard the remixed track before. However, I did watch a comparison video on youtube regarding infamous change to the gunfire audio during the iconic "Sarah Connor?" scene. The gunfire I heard on the BD did not sound like either of the two versions. There was a bit of the new "thwip" but it was pushed further into the background of a new "crack" and a noticeable LFE kick. Or is that difference simply the result of some limitation of audio on youtube?
It's the same mix as the DVD and the last Blu-ray.
Old 06-27-13, 10:04 AM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman View Post
None of the screenshots I've seen online over the yrs from films accused of color timing are representative of what I see on my tv. I've seen Terminator probably a half dozen times over the years, and I was aware of the color timing accusations while watching... even looking for it I couldn't discern a noticeable difference from before. If T1 is representative of new transfers for these I say bring it on.
I watched the disc on my projector, not just looked at screenshots. While perhaps not as bad as the Aliens Blu-ray (which has virtually no other colors in the entire movie now except teal and orange), The Terminator has been unmistakably tealed throughout.
Old 06-27-13, 11:48 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
It is ironic that, after winning the aspect ratio war, we now have to deal with movies being re-colored.

If I wanted to see The Terminator like that, I'd wear sunglasses while I was watching it.
I'm not even sure we quite won that war. I see plenty of tweaks, that while minor, aren't the OAR.
Old 06-27-13, 01:43 PM   #50
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A 20th anny comic con panel has been announced for The X-Files so maybe we will get an announcement for the BDs then.