Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Originally Posted by rocket1312
And here I thought there was an actual update here. What time warp did you you just come out of?

Originally Posted by mrhan
This thread along with "The Whole Bloody Affair" thread seems to always get resurrected and we all click on it thinking there's some update.
Sorry. It was late at night, Netflix said they were taking it down, and stupid decision-making was on full blast.

Originally Posted by fujishig
Is it just me (or my hardware) or are the animated series DVDs terrible in terms of visual quality?
It was made that way. I actually try to watch the Amazon streams on my dad's smaller HDTV, it doesn't stick out as much. The TMS and Spectrum episodes really stick out, the animation quality takes a huge jump. But it was still fundamentally a show designed to run on Saturday morning, I'm amazed at the quality level, they must've worked their asses off to make it as good as they did when Fox Kids just saw it as a toy tie-in. Then they moved to the WB, which apparently had drunken censors, because the shit they got away with there continues to amaze me.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Worst bump ever. Well, at least it wasn't after 14 years I suppose.
Has this forum even been around for 14 years?

Originally Posted by fitprod
I wouldn't say that, considering all of the smaller WB animated shows that have been released through the archive program. They may just be waiting until next year to cross promote with Justice League: The Prequel... I'm sorry, Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice.

fitprod
Hope springs eternal. I'd rather have them on actual pressed discs, but there obviously isn't any way in hell that's going to happen. I suppose I could get the HD versions from Vudu, but I'm so loathe to give Walmart money....

Originally Posted by Mike86
Unfortunately that's just the way the series is. It was pretty cheaply animated which Bruce Timm has even acknowledged. Like someone earlier in this thread mentioned too an HD release of the series may just expose more of its problems.
That's part of the reason that they revamped the animation for STAS going forward, to give them more control over it. Even then, it was probably finished on videotape in SD to air on Saturday morning. With all of its scenes of murder, torture, nuclear explosions, and blood.
Old 03-17-15, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
DVD Talk as a whole has been around for 16 years, and HD Talk has been around since 2005, I think.
Old 03-17-15, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I was referencing some threads over in Feedback
Old 03-18-15, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Ok, but this still doesn't explain who or what you were even responding to in your initial post. You're not hearing voices in your head, are you?

Hope springs eternal. I'd rather have them on actual pressed discs, but there obviously isn't any way in hell that's going to happen. I suppose I could get the HD versions from Vudu, but I'm so loathe to give Walmart money....
All Warner Archive BDs are pressed. The initial runs of a lot of the dvds are too for that matter.
Old 03-18-15, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Unfortunately that's just the way the series is. It was pretty cheaply animated which Bruce Timm has even acknowledged. Like someone earlier in this thread mentioned too an HD release of the series may just expose more of its problems.
For BTAS, I've just come to embrace it. It sort of adds to the charm of the show for me.
Old 03-18-15, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
For BTAS, I've just come to embrace it. It sort of adds to the charm of the show for me.
I really like the animation style and it has a cool look to it overall. Just on a bigger HDTV its problems are more evident. It has that cool classically animated look to it though. I do think if the images were clean and crisp it would take away a bit from the overall atmosphere the series had. I think that's part of the reason The New Batman Adventures doesn't have quite the same charm to it despite being essentially a re-vamped version of Batman: The Animated Series.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-18-15 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-18-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Timm has always said he was unhappy with the animation house for some of Batman TAS's run. People have to remember the gulf of difference between this show's level of writing and prior superhero cartoons, which had always used the cheapest Hanna Barbara-type animation possible. The home video market didn't really exist for daily cartoons back then and no one took them seriously.
Old 03-18-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I actually started rewatching the series from the beginning last week and I don't find the quality to be so bad. The transfers are definitely dirty, but that's hardly surprising when dealing with cell animation. I also think the level of animation is generally quite high (at least given the era), although I may not have come across any of the episodes done by whatever studio it was that was doing bad work.
Old 03-18-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think the animation itself is bad and actually I think the style used for Batman: The Animated Series is really cool looking. It has a unique and almost timeless look to it if you ask me. Its mostly just some errors and the transfers definitely don't have a clean, polished look to them but are dirty and a lot of that comes across more when you watch the series on a larger tv.
Old 03-19-15, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The animation designs are classic. The problems lie in the coloring errors and some very rough transitions. What Warner should do if they are serious is take the existing vocal tracks and fully animate the show again using the latest digital ink and paint animation. That would fully bring this show into the HD era. With the right budget it would look spectacular.
Old 03-19-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The animation designs are classic. The problems lie in the coloring errors and some very rough transitions. What Warner should do if they are serious is take the existing vocal tracks and fully animate the show again using the latest digital ink and paint animation. That would fully bring this show into the HD era. With the right budget it would look spectacular.
Eh I don't know how I'd feel about that. It would be cool in some ways but I think doing something like that would take something away to be honest. Plus I have to imagine that would be very costly to re-animate the entire series and I doubt Warner would cough up the money for such a restoration job.
Old 03-19-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Eh I don't know how I'd feel about that. It would be cool in some ways but I think doing something like that would take something away to be honest. Plus I have to imagine that would be very costly to re-animate the entire series and I doubt Warner would cough up the money for such a restoration job.
I could see it working if they got Timm back and possibly had him polish up the episodes to his liking. Warner has no interest in remastering the original video of the series. The home video market is in decline so everything now is about first-run airings and syndication.
Old 03-19-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Has ANY show had animation completely redone like what you're suggestion? That seems completely nuts and obvious why Warner wouldn't do something like that.
Old 03-19-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No animated shows that I'm aware of but the closest I can think of to something like PhantomStranger is proposing would be the re-done special effects on Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation. Still not quite the same thing though.
Old 03-19-15, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do WB still do the HTF chat anymore?
Old 03-20-15, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't say that, considering all of the smaller WB animated shows that have been released through the archive program. They may just be waiting until next year to cross promote with Justice League: The Prequel... I'm sorry, Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice.

fitprod
In a semi-related note, that can give us some hope... At WonderCon, the Warner Archive Panel will be previewing the Blu-ray release of Teen Titans Go!

fitprod
Old 03-21-15, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TTG is still on TV, isn't it? It's still pretty fresh in the mind. JLU, and sadly the DCAU, is long gone. It's basically a catalog title, and we all know what the market for those is like .
Old 03-23-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

In a semi-related note, that can give us some hope... At WonderCon, the Warner Archive Panel will be previewing the Blu-ray release of Teen Titans Go!

fitprod
What about a Blu release of the original Teen Titans series?

(I'll say this, when they cancelled YJ and kept Teen Titans Go on, I was a bit upset, but Go is a pretty great comedy series)
Old 03-23-15, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
(I'll say this, when they cancelled YJ and kept Teen Titans Go on, I was a bit upset, but Go is a pretty great comedy series)
The latest ep. with Kid Flash was really funny until the end. I can't believe the Tonya Harding move that Robin pulled. It just wasn't funny on any level.
Old 03-23-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not a fan of Teen Titans Go! personally. I wish that Cartoon Network would have kept Beware the Batman going personally as I feel it could have made a decent series if it would have been allowed to continue on. Young Justice was probably the best of the non-Timm DCAU shows if you ask me as it still felt fairly true in spirit to the DCAU. It'd be nice if we'd get some direct to DVD/Blu-ray films or something to follow up with it post cancellation.