Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
How so?
Came off the heels of the Burton Batman movies, won numerous Emmy awards, spawned a theatrical movie (which bombed, but still), as well as numerous other direct to TV movies. Also led to an entire DC Universe of cartoons, including Superman and the Justice League, as well as spawning an original Batman cartoon in Batman Beyond.

Also, from Wikipedia where there are plenty of references - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:...ries#Reception

Batman: The Animated Series has been consistently ranked as one of the greatest animated series ever made.[27][28][29][30] It has been highly praised for its sophistication, mature writing, voice acting, orchestrated soundtrack, artistic ambition, and faithfulness to its source material. In the 1992 year end issue, Entertainment Weekly ranked the series as one of the top television series of the year.[31]
Just because you didn't watch it, doesn't mean it wasn't ridiculously popular. X-Men was big too, but I thought Batman was bigger at the time.

I don't know what your "game" has to do with me, so cutting all of that silliness out.
Old 04-25-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

fumanstan - I recall it being popular enough to have a handful of evening spots. Even though the movie did not fair well the reviews tend to be good.

Newer shows are likely Blu-ray-ready. 1080[ (or i), Widescreen etc. They are far more likely of getting a Blu-ray release - at least as a trial First Season or maybe a best of.

Compared to the animated of the 80's....yeah, for sure.
They are even shown it HD so it is not that much trouble. X-Men or Batman would need a ton of work done I imagine. I think Batman holds up better the. X-Men overall. Not a ton of eighties animated shows hold up to our memories as a child. Now that I am thinking about it, not that many old shows of any type are getting blu-rays. It has to be new or something with a large fan base.
Old 04-25-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
fumanstan - I recall it being popular enough to have a handful of evening spots. Even though the movie did not fair well the reviews tend to be good.
Yeah, X-Men had some episodes air during prime time as well. Both were extremely popular, although I still think Batman had the edge.
Old 04-25-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

See post #3:

It's called answering a question. Why try and get someones hopes up that it might come out? Sure, don't buy the DVD sets and wait for the Blu-ray that will never come out. That'll help make Warner's decision easier.

Sadly, many members here can't handle being told the truth and want to believe a 20 year old kids cartoon actually has a shot at coming out on Blu-ray and are so upset with that fact they need to take it out on someone. It's OK, I don't blame them. They are probably not rushing out and buying those two Justice League BD sets to show their support to Warner so they can continue to cry and pray this will get released. Warner is probably reading this thread and kicking themselves they can't sell a dozen copies.
So answering a question while criticizing people who enjoy it is your goal? Seems an awful lot like trolling/thread crapping to me. A simple question was asked and you go out of your way to take time to be an asshole but you're just "answering a question" seriously man get a life. As was said before no one was even getting upset that it wasn't available until you. We were discussing a title that some of us want. Is it far fetched that it'll be released? Probably but there isn't a reason why fans can't discuss it.
Old 04-25-13, 04:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, I watched the show as a kid (Saturday mornings). I'm not stupid enough to think it's going to come out on Blu-ray like some of you guys are with Batman - which in no way was or is as popular as the X-Men Cartoon

I posted several times because I got the sets early as a reviewer and was helping over fellow DVDTalkers with questions. I'm such an ass.
Yeah and you were also like "OMG I must have those X-Men cartoon slipcovers!" You were getting excited over DVD slipcovers of a kids cartoon but you put down people for wanting another kids cartoon on blu-ray.

It's improbable but I would never count out a release. I saw the Jackson 5 cartoon blu-ray set at my local Wal-mart. Anything is possible.
Old 04-25-13, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I watched the show as a kid (Saturday mornings). I'm not stupid enough to think it's going to come out on Blu-ray like some of you guys are with Batman - which in no way was or is as popular as the X-Men Cartoon

I posted several times because I got the sets early as a reviewer and was helping over fellow DVDTalkers with questions. I'm such an ass.
What are you smoking ? Batman The Animated Series was FAR more popular than the X-Men cartoon. It has a far better chance of coming to blu-ray than the X-Men cartoon does. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the X-Men cartoon, but it's a fact that it's not, and never was, as popular as the Batman cartoon. It was by it's self. Batman lead to Superman, which lead to Justice League, which lead to Young Justice and Green Lantern. Batman started a cartoon "family" that went on for 20 years. X-Men....not so much. You've only posted one thing that is correct. But I will not say what that is.
Old 04-25-13, 04:57 PM
Banned

Sadly, many members here can't handle being told the truth and want to believe a 20 year old kids cartoon actually has a shot at coming out on Blu-ray and are so upset with that fact they need to take it out on someone. It's OK, I don't blame them. They are probably not rushing out and buying those two Justice League BD sets to show their support to Warner so they can continue to cry and pray this will get released. Warner is probably reading this thread and kicking themselves they can't sell a dozen copies.
Whos says a 20 year old kids cartoon doesn't have a chance of coming out on blu-ray ? How many other 20 year old cartoons, or any movies or cartoons for that matter that are even older, have come out ? If not on blu-ray, then on dvd ? Warner cartoons, which are kids cartoons, have come out on blu-ray. Those are far older than Batman. And there are countless obscure Disney tv movies that are far older than Batman that have come to dvd. What does age have to do with if a show will come out or not ? There's always a chance that Batman could come to blu-ray. I mean, Batman IS one of the most popular characters in comic, and cartoon, history.

Mike86 was correct. None of us were whining, as you seem to think we were. All we've said was that we wished Batman would come to blu-ray and were asking and wondering if there was a chance that it would. Then you swooped in in your Troll-mobile and started getting all huffy over some imaginary complaints that no one brought up.

What is your problem ? Fine. Disagree with millions of fans that want a blu-ray of Batman. But don't be a troll about it.
Old 04-25-13, 09:35 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Whos says a 20 year old kids cartoon doesn't have a chance of coming out on blu-ray ? How many other 20 year old cartoons, or any movies or cartoons for that matter that are even older, have come out ? If not on blu-ray, then on dvd ? Warner cartoons, which are kids cartoons, have come out on blu-ray. Those are far older than Batman. And there are countless obscure Disney tv movies that are far older than Batman that have come to dvd. What does age have to do with if a show will come out or not ? There's always a chance that Batman could come to blu-ray. I mean, Batman IS one of the most popular characters in comic, and cartoon, history.

Mike86 was correct. None of us were whining, as you seem to think we were. All we've said was that we wished Batman would come to blu-ray and were asking and wondering if there was a chance that it would. Then you swooped in in your Troll-mobile and started getting all huffy over some imaginary complaints that no one brought up.

What is your problem ? Fine. Disagree with millions of fans that want a blu-ray of Batman. But don't be a troll about it.
Post #3. Again, it's several of you that are getting huffy that I dashed your dreams.

Millions of fans? They don't even sell a million of the DTVs of the "new" animated films on Blu-ray. Oh boy. You're getting far too emotional over a cartoon. Sit down. Breathe.
Old 04-25-13, 09:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Texan26
Yeah and you were also like "OMG I must have those X-Men cartoon slipcovers!" You were getting excited over DVD slipcovers of a kids cartoon but you put down people for wanting another kids cartoon on blu-ray.

It's improbable but I would never count out a release. I saw the Jackson 5 cartoon blu-ray set at my local Wal-mart. Anything is possible.
Yep, I like slip covers. I never even bothered getting the other volumes and I didn't have much interest in watching the kids cartoon after sampling a few episode. I guess I grew up...

Once again, someone getting emotional and bringing up a 4 year post to try and what, put me down? You should start a petition! All those millions of fans will want this and Warner will have to release it. I'm sure Best Buy will stock hundreds of copies.
Old 04-25-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Post #3. Again, it's several of you that are getting huffy that I dashed your dreams.
That's really not it. I think the majority of us that are upset with you is the fact that you're going out of your way to be critical of people who enjoy this series. It's one thing if you're not a fan but to belittle others for what they like is just asking for people to be upset. You act as though you're so unaware of what it could be that you're doing. Again no one is really upset over the fact that the series isn't available it's the fact that you feel the need to be a troll and put others down.
Old 04-25-13, 09:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're talking about older WB cartoons like Looney Tunes the difference is they were on film stock so it's a matter of scanning them in hd. 80s and 90s cartoons were pretty much all transferred to and edited on video.

Even with Looney Tunes, the bonus episodes from the 80s and later on the blu-ray sets are just upconverted SD copies and look like crap.

There's also the issue of marketability. There are multiple generations of people who grew up on Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, etc. People of all kinds with all kinds of interest will buy the sets. On the other hand, Batman TAS, while popular, is a lot more specialized to mostly comic book fans. And personally most people I know who like it either never bought the entire series, or if they did, have no plan to rebuy it all.

I didn't watch it when it was new, even though I was heavy into comics at the time, and can tell you that the episodes that I've watched now are sometimes hard to sit through, good-for-the-time writing or not, because of the cheap and rushed looking animation. I'm sure it was awesome at the time, but it looks kind of crappy now. The most I might invest in this show are a couple of the character-themed collections, and I'm sure WB is aware of this from sales trends.

Sorry to fans of the show, but just my take on it.
Old 04-25-13, 10:15 PM
Banned

Millions of fans? They don't even sell a million of the DTVs of the "new" animated films on Blu-ray. Oh boy. You're getting far too emotional over a cartoon. Sit down. Breathe.
Wow. There are so many things that I want to say, but since personal attacks aren't allowed, I won't stoop to your level. No one here is getting huffy. You didn't dash anything, smartguy. Everyone here can see that it's YOU that's getting emotional about things. No one here has whined...ever. As I said, if you could bother to learn to read, is that we love Batman The Animated Series. We've discussed about the possibility of it coming to blu-ray. I've read every post in the topic at length, and have not seen any whining whatsoever....other than from you, that is.

Yes, Batman does have millions of fans. I didn't say they sell millions of the DTV new animated films. Way to go making things up to support your non existant side of this discussion. Arguments are two people with opposing points of view. You have no point of view. Well, that's not exactly true. You have a point of view. Just not a thought out, logical, non-troll one.
Old 04-25-13, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wahlers
If you're talking about older WB cartoons like Looney Tunes the difference is they were on film stock so it's a matter of scanning them in hd. 80s and 90s cartoons were pretty much all transferred to and edited on video.

Even with Looney Tunes, the bonus episodes from the 80s and later on the blu-ray sets are just upconverted SD copies and look like crap.

There's also the issue of marketability. There are multiple generations of people who grew up on Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, etc. People of all kinds with all kinds of interest will buy the sets. On the other hand, Batman TAS, while popular, is a lot more specialized to mostly comic book fans. And personally most people I know who like it either never bought the entire series, or if they did, have no plan to rebuy it all.

I didn't watch it when it was new, even though I was heavy into comics at the time, and can tell you that the episodes that I've watched now are sometimes hard to sit through, good-for-the-time writing or not, because of the cheap and rushed looking animation. I'm sure it was awesome at the time, but it looks kind of crappy now. The most I might invest in this show are a couple of the character-themed collections, and I'm sure WB is aware of this from sales trends.

Sorry to fans of the show, but just my take on it.
I would say that BTAS is geared more towards comic fans. But also, I think, anyone that is into great animation should watch the series, as it's widely thought of as one of the greatest comic book based tv show ever made, as well as one of the best tv shows...period.

Huh. I don't know where you get cheap and rushed looking animation from. The animation very much stands up to anything before and especially today....outside of some very excellent anime.

Sales trends ? As far as I've seen, the Batman sets have sold extremely well. I mean, when the complete series went out of print, they brought it back where it quickly went out of print again.

While I severely disagree with you, I thank you for being intelligent about the disagreement. Unlike GizmoDVD, who seems to take great joy in being a troll who only likes to be contrary with no real strength behind his arguments.
Old 04-25-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

You're getting far too emotional over a cartoon.
Animated program, it sounds better based on the quality.

Yep, I like slip covers. I never even bothered getting the other volumes and I didn't have much interest in watching the kids cartoon after sampling a few episode. I guess I grew up...
I did that as well and somehow ended up with a 1/5 of my collection being animation in some form. Shall go take care of business and read some comic books.

Poster note - My comments within this post are overall light heated and not all that serious, nothing typed in said in an overall serious manner or tone.
Old 04-26-13, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gizmo.. If you wanted to answer the question (as you did in post #3), then great. No problems. But sticking around just to stir up shit for a topic you really have no interest in is just trolling.
Old 04-26-13, 06:51 AM

I don't know where you get cheap and rushed looking animation from. The animation very much stands up to anything before and especially today....outside of some very excellent anime.
Some of the cheap feel that I get from it could be the results of the SD/video transfers having a dirty/muddy feel. But there's also a lot of instances of inconsistant line qualities and characters going on and off key. I'm also pretty sure they were using a very low frame rate too making choppy animation.

Don't get me wrong, I completely appreciate the art deco style they were going for and the packaging and ad artwork using the character designs are quite nice. I just think the animation studio that was doing the actual animation was not really as good as they could have been.

Comparing episodes of the series to the Mask of the Phantasm movie, which had a higher production value, shows the difference that a little more money could have done for the series.

As much as I miss painted cel art, I think the show could have benefited a lot from being digitally colored if it had been available and affordable at the time.
Old 04-26-13, 09:15 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Gizmo.. If you wanted to answer the question (as you did in post #3), then great. No problems. But sticking around just to stir up shit for a topic you really have no interest in is just trolling.
I'm not trolling at all. Lots of posters are getting emotional bringing up my post history as a way to say 'No! He is wrong. It's pretty much par for the course with Mister Peppers and Texan. They get backed into a corner and revert back to things from years before as a way of defense. It's childish, of course, but I fully expect it.

I don't really care. I'm not getting emotional about it because I know this show wouldn't sell well on Blu-ray and Warner probably won't bother releasing it.
Old 04-26-13, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

I don't really care. I'm not getting emotional about it because I know this show wouldn't sell well on Blu-ray and Warner probably won't bother releasing it.
And that's why you keep coming back to post.

Not sure when it was that I was getting backed into a corner. Usually, that would require facts.

We've all had encounters with the guy that always chimes in with his knowledge on subjects he knows nothing about. In real life, people usually just clam up and wait till the guy gets bored and goes off to bother some other group, before the rest of them chuckle and carry on the conversation. Internet's a different game, since it's a little harder to wait for him to leave.

At least Gizmo has occasionally stated he doesn't know what he's talking about, which is a plus. The negative side is that he still keeps going on and on, talking about something he doesn't know anything about and doesn't feel the need to gain some knowledge on because he already knows he's correct about everything.

Even when it's pointed out that his facts in the past have ended up being wrong, he just buries his head in the sand and then pops back up to continue. If he's wrong about this and it gets brought up in the next thread that he claims something won't get released, he can just continue to say other people are childish and emotional. All the while refusing to accept the fact that nobody should be listening to his predictions because he has a track record of 0%. Some people might find any reviews he writes could just be ignored since you can't even be sure he knows what he's talking about in them.

I'm not going to say anything about his he may be in real life because we all know people act at least slightly different on the internet, so it's entirely possible he isn't the kind of guy that jumps from conversation to conversation with his "knowledge".

Old 04-26-13, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not trolling at all. Lots of posters are getting emotional bringing up my post history as a way to say 'No! He is wrong. It's pretty much par for the course with Mister Peppers and Texan. They get backed into a corner and revert back to things from years before as a way of defense. It's childish, of course, but I fully expect it.

Funny, I think most people feel its par for the course for you in the Blu-ray forum. Given the posts and responses, more then a few people think you're the one being childish here.

Like Shagrath said, you could have left it at your original comments and be done with it. Most people are accepting that the show probably won't come out on Blu-ray, but for some reason you want to be particularly dismissive about a show you barely even watched.

Last edited by fumanstan; 04-26-13 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-26-13, 12:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

How was I backed into a corner? I never even said that the show deserved to be released on blu-ray. You kept posting on how you don't understand people showing enthusiasm about a kids show. I wanted to show how you previously got excited about slipcovers of a kids show. Do you want people trolling your "Twilight" threads? A movie series aimed at teenage girls?

You also mentioned how Warner doesn't produce the show anymore when they do by still selling the separate volumes. The complete series was limited just like many other complete series sets like Lost, Seinfeld, etc....
Old 04-26-13, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wahlers
Some of the cheap feel that I get from it could be the results of the SD/video transfers having a dirty/muddy feel. But there's also a lot of instances of inconsistant line qualities and characters going on and off key. I'm also pretty sure they were using a very low frame rate too making choppy animation.

Don't get me wrong, I completely appreciate the art deco style they were going for and the packaging and ad artwork using the character designs are quite nice. I just think the animation studio that was doing the actual animation was not really as good as they could have been.

Comparing episodes of the series to the Mask of the Phantasm movie, which had a higher production value, shows the difference that a little more money could have done for the series.

As much as I miss painted cel art, I think the show could have benefited a lot from being digitally colored if it had been available and affordable at the time.
For me at least, the dark, scratchy animation cells are part of the atmosphere. But I can understand how some people wouldn't like that. I think a part of why the show can appear scratchy and dark is that it was, but correct me if I'm wrong, made on black paper.

And I think it would sell well on blu-ray. If not for any better quality, just for being able to have more episodes per disc, thereby having fewer discs per season and saving very valuable shelf space. And with the increased disc space, there would space for more and different extras, bonus episodes of other DCAU shows, etc. Yeah. I think it would sell very well on blu-ray.
Old 04-26-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

made on black paper.
It was.

I liked the noir vibe it gave off but I can get why some might not like it.
Old 05-02-13, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I'd love to see the series released in HD, there'd probably have to be a lot of work done to clean it up, which takes both money and time. The "Superman" series from the same time wasn't even given a proper DVD release, just bogus "flipper discs" that are an insult to the format. WB would have to see a lot of cash in both series' future to even consider it.
Old 05-02-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
While I'd love to see the series released in HD, there'd probably have to be a lot of work done to clean it up, which takes both money and time. The "Superman" series from the same time wasn't even given a proper DVD release, just bogus "flipper discs" that are an insult to the format. WB would have to see a lot of cash in both series' future to even consider it.
I don't know if flippers could be considered a slight on the quality of the series as WB released a lot of TV on flippers during those days.
Old 05-02-13, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I don't know if flippers could be considered a slight on the quality of the series as WB released a lot of TV on flippers during those days.
Well, I ran into countless problems with them, having to return a ton of films.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.