Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Blu-Ray Snubbing Robert Duvall?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, Robert Duvall is a living legend, perhaps the greatest actor of our time with a massive body of work. As a huge Duvall fan, I've become aware that quite a number of his movies just don't make it to blu-ray for some reason, and in one case, it barely made it to dvd.

We're not talking stinkers here either. These are good films:

Tender Mercies - Duvall won an Oscar for this film for heaven's sake! Even more irritating, Jeff Bridge's Crazy Heart is on blu-ray and the storyline is practically the same.

Open Range - one of my all time favorite westerns. I still remember seeing this in the theater and being rocked in my seat by the realistic shotgun blasts. It's a classic western with gorgeous scenary that would look amazing on blu-ray.

Rambling Rose - It's been so long since I've seen this one, but I love prohibition era movies and Duvall was excellent in his role as always.

Stars Fell on Henreitta
- apparently a forgotten gem. I love Duvall as a down on his luck wild catter in the oil boom days, and Brian Dennehy along with Billy Bob Thorton are great as well. Sadly, this film barely managed a dvd release. You can only order it online and it's never cheaper than $19.99.

The Apostle - perhaps the crowning achievement of Duvall's career. He wrote, directed, financed and starred in this powerful redemption tale. Outstanding.

Wrestling Ernest Hemingway
- I'll admit that I've never watched this, but I remember it getting rave reviews.

I could go on. There are others, and he does have plenty of films in blu-ray. But it just seems odd that Duvall's biggest movies remain perhaps forgotten in the land of dvd.
Old 01-17-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Is Blu-Ray Snubbing Robert Duvall?

I've been longing for a BD release of Open Range.
Old 01-17-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

You forgot Breakout!

Only because Charles Bronson is in that one and I want it really, really bad.
Old 01-17-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

You can make the same claim for any actor whose career started 30 years ago or more....there is no conspiracy.
Old 01-17-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
The Apostle - perhaps the crowning achievement of Duvall's career. He wrote, directed, financed and starred in this powerful redemption tale. Outstanding.
He should have won the Oscar (Best Actor) for that one, don't you think? It's a Universal title, and they haven't been the best at catalog titles, especially dramas.
Old 01-17-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
You can make the same claim for any actor whose career started 30 years ago or more....there is no conspiracy.
I bet you'd change your tune if Duvall was a woman. or black.

Spoiler:
Old 01-17-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still miffed that Louise Brooks has zero movies on Blu-ray.
Old 01-17-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I can't see any of the films in the OP being a priority other than Open Range
Old 01-17-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I've been longing for a BD release of Open Range.
I may be mistaken, but isn't this out in Canada? I swear I saw a BD for it somewhere.

Originally Posted by d2cheer
You forgot Breakout!

Only because Charles Bronson is in that one and I want it really, really bad.
I want EVERY Bronson film on Blu. Germany has Death Hunt, From Noon Till Three, The Mechanic, and Mr. Majestyk. I need to snap them up.
Old 01-17-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Seven Percent Solution, with Duvall as Dr. Watson, is out next week.
Old 01-17-13, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of the dumbest threads ever and this forum is full of dumb threads. I counted 6 Duvall films in my own collection (the 4 Coppolas, THX and Sling Blade) and I've never bought a movie just for Duvall. I also have his Twilight Zone on Blu and there was another 6-10 titles I know are on Blu-ray and will probably own eventually. He has a huge filmography so of course you're gonna be able to compile a big long whiner list about the home video entertainment's conspiracy against Duvall.
Old 01-17-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
This is one of the dumbest threads ever and this forum is full of dumb threads. I counted 6 Duvall films in my own collection (the 4 Coppolas, THX and Sling Blade) and I've never bought a movie just for Duvall. I also have his Twilight Zone on Blu and there was another 6-10 titles I know are on Blu-ray and will probably own eventually. He has a huge filmography so of course you're gonna be able to compile a big long whiner list about the home video entertainment's conspiracy against Duvall.

Did you even fucking read my thread? The point is a lot of Duvall's biggest films have not been given the blu-ray treatment. I listed at least two Oscar nonimated films. I just think it's a damn shame that these titles have been passed when a lot more crappy films go blu. Also, the films I listed are ones where Duvall is the lead character.

If you are going to put up Sling Blade then I'll throw in Joe Kidd as another one not on blu-ray which was a hell of a lot bigger role than his two minute screen time in Sling Blade. That role was done more of a favor for Billy Bob Thorton playing a part in The Apostle.
Old 01-17-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

IMO, Robert Duvall is a living legend, perhaps the greatest actor of our time with a massive body of work. As a huge Duvall fan, I've become aware that quite a number of his movies just don't make it to blu-ray for some reason, and in one case, it barely made it to dvd.

We're not talking stinkers here either. These are good films:

Tender Mercies - Duvall won an Oscar for this film for heaven's sake! Even more irritating, Jeff Bridge's Crazy Heart is on blu-ray and the storyline is practically the same.

Open Range - one of my all time favorite westerns. I still remember seeing this in the theater and being rocked in my seat by the realistic shotgun blasts. It's a classic western with gorgeous scenary that would look amazing on blu-ray.

Rambling Rose - It's been so long since I've seen this one, but I love prohibition era movies and Duvall was excellent in his role as always.

Stars Fell on Henreitta
- apparently a forgotten gem. I love Duvall as a down on his luck wild catter in the oil boom days, and Brian Dennehy along with Billy Bob Thorton are great as well. Sadly, this film barely managed a dvd release. You can only order it online and it's never cheaper than $19.99.

Wrestling Ernest Hemingway
- I'll admit that I've never watched this, but I remember it getting rave reviews.

I could go on. There are others, and he does have plenty of films in blu-ray. But it just seems odd that Duvall's biggest movies remain perhaps forgotten in the land of dvd.
Those are all low-demand titles. The bottom fell out of the catalog market a while back and it hasn't recovered yet. It's not a conspiracy against Duvall; there are thousands of titles that haven't been released on blu-ray.
Old 01-17-13, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also...the older and/or lesser known they are...the less chance they get out. Businesses need to make money. Some businesses wouldn't take the chances on those. While others would. So far? None.
Old 01-17-13, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I've had the French Blu-ray import of Open Range for like 2 years already. It's a great looking/sounding Blu-ray.

http://www.amazon.fr/Open-Range-Blu-...8481297&sr=8-1

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 01-17-13 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-17-13, 09:54 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

People don't buy old movies.

/end
Old 01-17-13, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I've had the French Blu-ray import of Open Range for like 2 years already. It's a great looking/sounding Blu-ray.

http://www.amazon.fr/Open-Range-Blu-...8481297&sr=8-1
Actually I had that disc and thought it looked washed out and it has slightly pitched up audio as well. The HD broadcast HDnet has run looks and sounds better. Would recommend anyone look up reviews before importing.
Old 01-17-13, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

since the Apostle is a Universal title, maybe Criterion can license the title and release it.
Old 01-18-13, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
since the Apostle is a Universal title, maybe Criterion can license the title and release it.
I could definitely see a few of the films of dvdjunkie32's list get Criterioned.

Another possibility would be if these ended up in double/triple/quadruple feature packs in the bargain racks -- depending on which studio owns what. That seems to be another direction the market is taking.
Old 01-18-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Duvall is also in Crazy Heart.
Old 01-18-13, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I also think he's in Secondhand Lions, which is on Blu-ray. Is Get Low on Blu-ray too?
Old 01-18-13, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it is.

So is Lonesome Dove. And if you want more Cowboy Duvall, Broken Trail is also on BD. I actually liked that one. Nowhere as good as LD or Open Range but I liked it.
Old 01-18-13, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Falling Down is another great Duvall role on Blu. Would love to see Colors.
Old 01-18-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I may be mistaken, but isn't this out in Canada? I swear I saw a BD for it somewhere.

I want EVERY Bronson film on Blu. Germany has Death Hunt, From Noon Till Three, The Mechanic, and Mr. Majestyk. I need to snap them up.
Unfortunately Mr. Majestyk is the only one that is region free.
Old 01-18-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Geronimo and Colors are a few that i'm waiting for.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.