Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sell Me on Blu-Ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Sell Me on Blu-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-12, 02:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sell Me on Blu-Ray

So I finally bought a Hi-def TV. And it won't arrive for about a week. The next obvious step would be to buy a Blu-Ray player. The only problem is, all of the Blu-rays I've seen look odd to me. It seems to me the quality is so good that it no longer looks cinematic; like it's a TV show shot with a different frame rate.

I guess what I would like is to be sold on blu-ray. I get the specs, and why it should be awesome, but it just seems like Blu-ray looks odd. Have I just had a few odd isolated experiences, or do I need to 'get used to it?'

I've seen mentions of 'motion settings.' I doubt it, but could it be as simple as changing a TVs settings to make it look more 'normal?'
Old 09-15-12, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sell Me on Blu-Ray

Most big chain stores have them setup to be eye catching. Which is usually not anywhere near an ideal setup for home viewing. Find a high end store with a good setup. Or find a place with a good return policy. And it's not for everyone. Some people just don't see the different and/or care. But at least see a proper setup before jumping to conclusions. Setup properly, a good Blu-ray should NOT look like it was shot on video.
Old 09-15-12, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Here's one thread to start with

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/594...-new-hdtv.html
Old 09-15-12, 03:32 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. This puts me more at ease, I finally ordered a player. Step 2: develop another OCD collection.
Old 09-15-12, 04:41 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

it's great
Old 09-15-12, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by neocheddar02
Thanks for the quick replies. This puts me more at ease, I finally ordered a player. Step 2: develop another OCD collection.

That's what happened with me. I ordered my first HDTV from Amazon back in February. The same day it arrived, I stopped off at Target and grabbed a player. Now, I'm over 400 BDs deep into my newest obsession.
Old 09-15-12, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

I've seen mentions of 'motion settings.' I doubt it, but could it be as simple as changing a TVs settings to make it look more 'normal?'
It is that simple.
Old 09-15-12, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

The effect you describe is 100% caused by motion enhancement on LCD TV's, which can and should be turned off. It has nothing to do with blu rays. If you don't turn it off on the TV, you will notice it on everything you watch, even SD content.
Old 09-15-12, 07:36 AM

Yep, it's the setting that deals with the "120hz" or "240hz" or whatever bullshit TV's are using these days. I have never understood how this setting became a factory default on most new TVs. Never once in my life have I ever heard someone watching a movie say, "man this would be better if it was filmed like a soap opera." Maybe I don't run in the right circles?
Old 09-15-12, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Just make sure you turn off this 'feature' as soon as you turn your new TV on. TV manufacturers are in love with this for some ungodly reason. I had to go in & turn it off for every single input individually. And even then there is no way to disable it on the smart features built into the TV. So Netflix/Vudu, etc are completely useless.

The evil thing about it, as mhanlen1 stated, it's become the factory default. So most people buying new TV's think that's just the way HD looks.
Old 09-15-12, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

One caveat:

If you love special features; especially with catalog titles, things get a little...murky.

For example, if you have 4-disc 2004 The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD, and you buy the BD thinking it has all the special features, (so you can out and out replace your DVD copy)--think again.

Often, there will be special features not carried over from their DVD counterparts.

However, there are exceptions like The Ultimate Matrix Collection or The Alien Anthology that go the full nines and have every fricking special feature from all previous DVD releases, and that's a good thing!

In short: if you like special features, be sure to hold on to your DVDs, until you know for sure.
Old 09-15-12, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

And in my opinion, which may be considered hersey in these parts, many DVDs still look good enough (especially with up converting) that they won't need immediate replacement.

So if you've invested a lot into your DVDs, give them another look on your new screen before selling them, especially of they have a lot of extras.
Old 09-15-12, 08:13 AM

^^^ I agree. Before I upgrade any Blu-ray, I make sure to compare screenshots on review sites like DVD Beaver or strictly screen cap websites like caps-a-holics, to see if the upgrade to high-def is a marked improvement. If it's not, then I don't upgrade.
Old 09-15-12, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
And in my opinion, which may be considered heresey in these parts, many DVDs still look good enough (especially with up converting) that they won't need immediate replacement.

So if you've invested a lot into your DVDs, give them another look on your new screen before selling them, especially of they have a lot of extras.
I agree wholeheartedly. There were some pretty crappy BR releases. I upgraded Total Recall and the Blu was uglier than the SD. I probably won't upgrade Titanic because I don't really rewatch the entire movie and the SD upconverted looks as good and many Blu-rays.

I don't give a crap about extras but will upgrade most of the time and have been happy with most upgrades. there is even a thread somewhere which discusses circumstances or criteria where people upgrade. That may be helpful too.
Old 09-15-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Good move. With the way new releases are priced these days, there's little reason to keep buying SD and not go BD. But for catalog titles, there's no need to upgrade at all. Your DVDs will generally look good on your BD player. If you find a great price on a well-reviewed disc of a movie that you love and will rewatch, go ahead and upgrade. You'll get a better feel for it as you watch more BDs, and it can help to rent a few catalog titles on BD and compare them to your current DVDs.
Old 09-15-12, 10:28 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Blu rays have 6 times the resolution of a DVD. So, if you ever get a digital projector in the future...you're in for a treat.
Old 09-15-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

What size screen did you buy?
Old 09-15-12, 10:59 AM

Yes, for the love of God, please turn off any motion interpolation features as soon as you turn the monitor on.

Bluray is a godsend for those of us who want the experience of film in our homes, not just a big sharp video image. A bluray mastered correctly without a lot of digital tinkering and noise reduction, played back on a 1080p projector is pure bliss. With some blurays it's almost like watching a perfect 35mm print on a nine foot screen in my home (almost).

If you value film the way I do, it's frustrating reading negative comments about great BD's because they can see grain or that titles and transitions look "bad" because they don't understand film or old-school optical printing. Heaven forbid there be a piece of printed in dirt or maybe a scratch here and there, even though the rest of the film is sharp as a tack and has beautiful color.

BD is a miracle and a cinema lover's dream.
Old 09-15-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, don't forget (because most do) that one of the most important factors in getting a good picture is distance from the screen. You can get a 4K TV, but if you sit too far back, your eyes won't be able to discern the difference.
Old 09-15-12, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I probably won't upgrade Titanic because I don't really rewatch the entire movie and the SD upconverted looks as good and many Blu-rays.
But will never look remotely as good as the Titanic Blu-ray. The image destroys the DVD.

Old 09-15-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
But will never look remotely as good as the Titanic Blu-ray. The image destroys the DVD.

I'm sure it does but I've already double dipped on the 1st gen DVD, then the SE but haven't watched the movie since the VHS

Originally Posted by davidh777
But for catalog titles, there's no need to upgrade at all. Your DVDs will generally look good on your BD player.
I upgrade from any of the flipper disc, snapper case, Dolby 2.0, non-anamorphic stuff. The nice SE's I don't bother unless a smokin deal comes along
Old 09-15-12, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
What size screen did you buy?
Just a 32". We have a small place so it'll get the job done (for now).

Yeah, now I'm just worried I'll go ape-shit on Blu-ray buying like some of you. Of course I'll justify it by being a film major. But that argument can only go so far with the GF.

As far as upgrading from DVD, I'm sure I'll upgrade the classics, and some good action flicks, but I'm sure a Blu-ray of Wayne's World or Dumb & Dumber will be fine on DVD.
Old 09-15-12, 07:23 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Sell you?

Players are $50.
Old 09-15-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Even if blu-ray looked like VHS the sound upgrade alone would be worth it.
Old 09-16-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Just a 32". We have a small place so it'll get the job done (for now).

Yeah, now I'm just worried I'll go ape-shit on Blu-ray buying like some of you. Of course I'll justify it by being a film major. But that argument can only go so far with the GF.

As far as upgrading from DVD, I'm sure I'll upgrade the classics, and some good action flicks, but I'm sure a Blu-ray of Wayne's World or Dumb & Dumber will be fine on DVD.
With a 32", you are fine sticking with dvds. I know many will argue but there just isn't enough of a difference with a TV that size in my opinion. Just buy a nice upconverting BD player and only buy the BD if don't already own it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.