Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for best 2d to 3d blu ray players?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-19-12, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations for a blu ray player that will convert 2d dvd and blu rays to 3d? I read about the samsung 6700 which was raved about by everyone, but it is now discontinued. After reading about the sony 590 and a few panasonics it doesn't seem like anything comes close as the main complaint is that they just push the image back.
Old 07-20-12, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Recommendation for best 2d to 3d blu ray players?

I've never heard of players doing the conversion, but the LG TVs do.
Isn't it the TVs which do the 2D to 3D conversion?
Old 07-20-12, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Yeah thats on the tv end.
Old 07-20-12, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a 3dtv, but this model does not convert 2d to 3d on the tv end. I have tons of dvds and blu rays. I don't feel like rebuying some of my blu rays in 3d so I read that some blu ray players like the samsung 6700 which is now discontinued did a very good job at converting it on the player side for standard blu rays negating the need to rebuy it in 3d. Another model I was looking at was the sony 590 but reviewers had mentioned that this model just pushes the image back not creating actual 3d layered depth

Hopefully someone on here can recommend a player that does the converting for regular blu rays. =/
Old 07-20-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
I've never heard of players doing the conversion, but the LG TVs do.
Isn't it the TVs which do the 2D to 3D conversion?
Some Blu-ray players have this feature also. It was utterly useless in the Panasonic model I tried. It just made the entire flat 2D picture look like it was inset behind the frame a couple inches. That was the extent of its "depth." Supposedly Samsung's version is better.

Originally Posted by BBEANLPHIE
I just got a 3dtv, but this model does not convert 2d to 3d on the tv end. I have tons of dvds and blu rays. I don't feel like rebuying some of my blu rays in 3d so I read that some blu ray players like the samsung 6700 which is now discontinued did a very good job at converting it on the player side for standard blu rays negating the need to rebuy it in 3d. Another model I was looking at was the sony 590 but reviewers had mentioned that this model just pushes the image back not creating actual 3d layered depth

Hopefully someone on here can recommend a player that does the converting for regular blu rays. =/
You might also try an outboard device such as the 3D-Bee, which does a better job than the conversion chips built into most TVs and Blu-ray players, and can be applied to any video source (not just Blu-ray).

Keep in mind, however, that there's a limit to how good any real-time 3D conversion can ever look. At best, you'll get about 50% the quality of a native 3D image, and are likely to be distracted by frequent conversion errors and artifacts. Whoever told you that this is an acceptable substitute for rebuying a movie in real 3D was either pulling your leg or has very low standards for what he considers "good."