Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Studio Ghibli in HD

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Studio Ghibli in HD

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Studio Ghibli in HD

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Most of the Ghibli dubs are pretty good.
In most cases I prefer them. These dubs are unique given the efforts Disney put into these tracks vs. just your ordinary dub created on the cheap to satisfy that don't like movies with subtitles.
Old 01-14-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lasseter is a huge fan of Miyazaki, and it's clear that he and his teams approach the dubs with great care and respect.
Old 01-14-15, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Most of the Ghibli dubs are pretty good.
Howl's Moving Castle's dub is incredible, better than the native Japanese soundtrack. That isn't necessarily true in most cases but Disney takes their time dubbing Studio Ghibli's films.
Old 01-15-15, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I think Disney did a fine job with all of their Ghibli dubs. They love Miyasaki's movies and treated them with respect. Just my two cents.
Old 01-15-15, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wahlers
Just finally got around to getting Kiki and can confirm the English audio has the same problem as the last DVD. Anytime a voice gets high pitched and loud in volume it distorts a little like talking into a fan.
good thing i have the original dvd that was released around the time of Spirited. Also has original subtitles
Old 01-15-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Meh. The Pixar dubs of Ghibli films suffer from too much celebrity stunt-casting.

The Howl's Moving Castle dub better than the Japanese? With Christian Bale grunting in his Batman voice the whole time and Billy Crystal doing his wildly inappropriate "New Yawker" schtick? No, just no. A million times no.
Old 01-15-15, 02:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I remember reading that Miyasaki's personal favorite dub was the French language version of 'Porco Rosso' - he thought Jean Reno's voicing of the title character was perfect.
Old 01-15-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
I remember reading that Miyasaki's personal favorite dub was the French language version of 'Porco Rosso' - he thought Jean Reno's voicing of the title character was perfect.
He should have been allowed to do the English dub as well. Keaton is great, Reno is better.
Old 01-16-15, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I forgot that Reno speaks English fluently too. I think that the Disney DVD actually does include the French dub as well as the English one.
Old 01-16-15, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I think that the Disney DVD actually does include the French dub as well as the English one.
It does.
Old 01-16-15, 09:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Porco doesn't come out til next month - but I haven't seen any indication if the French dub is included.
Old 01-16-15, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Porco doesn't come out til next month - but I haven't seen any indication if the French dub is included.
Possibly incorrect, but Amazon on other listings state it will have English, Japanese, and French.

Hard to imagine them dumping the French given the same set is going to be released in Canada.
Old 02-24-15, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Possibly incorrect, but Amazon on other listings state it will have English, Japanese, and French.

Hard to imagine them dumping the French given the same set is going to be released in Canada.
I know that this post was made more than a month ago but just in case you haven't bought it yet, the Blu-ray for Porco Rosso does contain a French dub in 2.0 DD.

I now have all of the Ghibli releases from Disney and although they are not perfect, I'm happy with them as the Japanese releases are too much for my budget.
Old 03-03-15, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I was so disappointed when I got Kiki's Delivery Service and saw they'd modified the English dub, removed Phil Hartman lines, and got rid of the American songs. Why not give us the option of listening to one or the other? Really glad I still have my DVD from 2003.
Old 03-03-15, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ben12
I was so disappointed when I got Kiki's Delivery Service and saw they'd modified the English dub, removed Phil Hartman lines, and got rid of the American songs. Why not give us the option of listening to one or the other? Really glad I still have my DVD from 2003.
Why on Earth did they do that ?
Old 03-03-15, 01:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This edit was originally done for the previous 2-disc DVD special edition. The blu-ray just maintains the same edit.

It's my understanding that the changes were made at the request of Studio Ghibli to make the english dub closer to the japanese release. The original version of the dub was done very early into Disney's contract and had additional lines of dialogue over shots that had no dialogue in the japanese version. These additional lines have now been removed. The english songs as well. The lack of an option may have to do with the contract or just to appease Studio Ghibli.

My complaint with this version though is that whenever anyone's voice raises too high in pitch, or they yell, the sound distorts some, like someone talking into a fan. I suspect that this was an unintentional byproduct of editing the dub and they don't care enough to fix it.
Old 03-03-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Costco coupon book for March 5-29 says $5 off Miyazaki DVD/BD. Pictured are Wind Rises, Totoro, Arietty, and Spirited Away.
Old 03-03-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I know that this post was made more than a month ago but just in case you haven't bought it yet, the Blu-ray for Porco Rosso does contain a French dub in 2.0 DD.

I now have all of the Ghibli releases from Disney and although they are not perfect, I'm happy with them as the Japanese releases are too much for my budget.
I have them all as well. And as much as I appreciate the Japanese tracks, I usually end up watching these in English with my young daughter. When she is old enough to keep up with the subtitles, maybe the Japanese tracks will get more play.
Old 03-03-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Costco coupon book for March 5-29 says $5 off Miyazaki DVD/BD. Pictured are Wind Rises, Totoro, Arietty, and Spirited Away.
How much would that come out to for each blu ray title?
Old 03-03-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Not sure since I don't shop very often at Costco.
Old 03-04-15, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do they include slipcover?
Old 03-04-15, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlers
This edit was originally done for the previous 2-disc DVD special edition. The blu-ray just maintains the same edit.

It's my understanding that the changes were made at the request of Studio Ghibli to make the english dub closer to the japanese release. The original version of the dub was done very early into Disney's contract and had additional lines of dialogue over shots that had no dialogue in the japanese version. These additional lines have now been removed. The english songs as well. The lack of an option may have to do with the contract or just to appease Studio Ghibli.

My complaint with this version though is that whenever anyone's voice raises too high in pitch, or they yell, the sound distorts some, like someone talking into a fan. I suspect that this was an unintentional byproduct of editing the dub and they don't care enough to fix it.
That all makes sense, but I've been watching my old DVD for over 10 years. I have no emotional connection to the original Japanese songs and don't associate them with this movie. Disney really should've given us that additional track and Ghibli should've allowed it. It also doesn't seem right to just erase one of Hartman's last performances.
Old 03-04-15, 11:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That all makes sense, but I've been watching my old DVD for over 10 years. I have no emotional connection to the original Japanese songs and don't associate them with this movie. Disney really should've given us that additional track and Ghibli should've allowed it. It also doesn't seem right to just erase one of Hartman's last performances.
Not all of Phil Hartman's part is removed. Just the extra lines that had no japanese equivalent.
Old 03-04-15, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I think it'll be $22.99 down to $17.99.
Old 03-04-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Any free passes for Costco out there, or do they do that kind of thing? We have one, but I've never been.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.