Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lawrence of Arabia - FINALLY arrives...

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lawrence of Arabia - FINALLY arrives...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lawrence of Arabia - FINALLY arrives...

Originally Posted by Giles
in what way?

personally I find the grainy to be ultra distracting and ugly, but it was supposedly meant to be seen that way, I don't remember the 70mm (35 blowup) presentation looking that shoddy.
I don't own it personally, but apparently part of the problem is that the grain you are talking about does not look natural; the contrast is supposedly ridiculously pumped up as well.
Old 04-10-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember quite a bit of discussion of the heat damage on Lawrence's negative around the time the Harris restoration first hit DVD. At the time, I still didn't know what caused it; I assumed it was an artifact from the shoddy treatment of the negative post-production. I was surprised to find it dated back to the original shooting.

When the new master screens, I am sure that Mr. Harris will get some questions thrown his way if this has been digitally tweaked.
Old 04-11-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

in what way?

personally I find the grainy to be ultra distracting and ugly, but it was supposedly meant to be seen that way, I don't remember the 70mm (35 blowup) presentation looking that shoddy.
Discussed in this thread.

The grain in Ghostbusters is exaggerated on the Blu-ray due to electronic manipulation.
Old 04-11-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To those knowledgeable about how the movie theater business works: Why are screenings of films like LoA and 2001 so few and far between? Do theaters have to be given permission to show these films? Is there some place where theater owners can rent a film to be shown in their theaters? How does the business side work?

Oh, and can someone fill me in, in layman's terms, about "projected video" and specifically Taxi Driver?
Old 04-11-12, 12:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
To those knowledgeable about how the movie theater business works: Why are screenings of films like LoA and 2001 so few and far between? Do theaters have to be given permission to show these films? Is there some place where theater owners can rent a film to be shown in their theaters? How does the business side work?

Oh, and can someone fill me in, in layman's terms, about "projected video" and specifically Taxi Driver?
you need to live in the Washington DC area, the AFI Silver shows both (in 70mm) on a somewhat regular basis

it might have to do with availability of actual prints

in regards to Taxi Driver, when Sony finalized the master for transferring onto bluray they also made a DCP (Digital Cinema Package) hard drive version so that theaters that have Sony 4K digital systems could present the movie at it's highest resolution, sharpness and clarity. Remember all 4K work flow transferring has to be downrezzed to 2K for bluray hidef.

Some studios along with Fathom Events have transmitted programming (i.e, Classic film titles) via satellite transmission - visually it's inferior to DCP presentations both in terms of it's picture quality and audio quality.

Does that explanation help at all??

For 'Lawrence' rerelease of the restoration, Sony is going all out and creating 2K and 4K DCP's - the former for theaters that don't have 4K projectors as well creating new 70mm prints

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Discussed in this thread.

The grain in Ghostbusters is exaggerated on the Blu-ray due to electronic manipulation.
whatever the reason it's flat out hideous, I tried watching twenty minutes of it and had to stop

Last edited by Giles; 04-11-12 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 01:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The studios own prints. Theaters can rent them for a fee. The reason they're not showing 70mm all the time is that prints are few and far between, and you may need a special projectionist who's handled 70. Also, you're talking about arthouse/revival theaters, and they have to create a dynamic schedule. Can't just show the same 70mm prints over and over.

The Aero theater in Santa Monica does a screening of Lawrence in 70 every year, and it always sells out. If they did it multiple times a year, it might not sell out.
Old 04-11-12, 01:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

We have the Paramount Theater here in Austin and every summer they do a film series. Usually in this series, they have a 70mm week where they show My Fair Lady, 2001, Lawrence of Arabia, etc. The projectionist who works there specializes in handling 70mm and is the last in Texas to be part of the Projectionists union.
Old 04-11-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The reason they're not showing 70mm all the time is that prints are few and far between
Commercial theatres with working 70mm projectors are few and far between these days, as well.
Old 04-11-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
We have the Paramount Theater here in Austin and every summer they do a film series. Usually in this series, they have a 70mm week where they show My Fair Lady, 2001, Lawrence of Arabia, etc. The projectionist who works there specializes in handling 70mm and is the last in Texas to be part of the Projectionists union.
What I wouldn't give to see 2001 in 70mm...my #1 film of all time.

My Fair Lady would be no slouch either.

Who am I kidding...a second viewing of Lawrence would be okay too!
Old 04-11-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Had a quick look at the AFI Silver...the only 70 mm for the next few months is Patton. I hope they get this one though. I saw West Side Story there last year, looked good.
Old 04-11-12, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Had a quick look at the AFI Silver...the only 70 mm for the next few months is Patton. I hope they get this one though. I saw West Side Story there last year, looked good.
did you miss last month's 'Hello, Dolly!' in 70mm (second time seeing it). Word is that a 70mm Festival at the AFI Silver might happen later in the year - so a whole smorgasbord of films will be shown
Old 04-11-12, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

did you miss last month's 'Hello, Dolly!' in 70mm (second time seeing it). Word is that a 70mm Festival at the AFI Silver might happen later in the year - so a whole smorgasbord of films will be shown
I saw 2001 in 70mm at the AFI Silver a few years back and it was awesome. I'd definitely be down for a festival.
Old 04-11-12, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Nice! Yeah I didn't see Hello Dolly...in fact I've only been there twice, once for West Side Story and the other time for The Artist. I should go there more often.
Old 04-11-12, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Giles - Thanks.

I guess I just don't have a local theater interested in or capable of 70mm. I'll have to look for LoA in Philly or NY.
Old 04-16-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I missed the part about Maryland and figured the AFI Silver was in LA. It's 3.5 hours from me. Might be worth an overnight stay in Silver Springs for LoA. You are so lucky to have a theater like that.
Old 04-26-12, 09:46 PM
Banned by request

Restored Lawrence of Arabia to Premiere at Cannes

International distributor and sales agent Park Circus will have a strong presence at this year's Cannes Film Festival with two titles selected as part of the Official Selection – Cannes Classics. The first is Sony Pictures Entertainment's 50th Anniversary restoration of David Lean's epic Lawrence of Arabia.

From Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios, Andrei Konchalovsky's cult thriller Runaway Train, starring Jon Voigt, Eric Roberts and Rebecca De Mornay will also be screening as part of the Official Selection - Cannes Classics to mark the director's presence at the festival.

In addition to the films taking part in the Official Selection, Park Circus will also present a selection of other titles available for licensing, including Nicholas Ray's restored We Can't Go Home Again and Susan Ray's documentary Don't Expect Too Much. Distribution deals for these films have already been concluded for the USA and France.

Also coming to Cannes for all rights licensing are restored versions of major Harold Lloyd films including Safety Last, Speedy, Girl Shy and many more features and shorts by "the third genius'. Agreements for France and UK have already been concluded.
Old 04-27-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Side note: A newly mastered, longer cut of a film by this guy named Leone is premiering there as well:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/in-conte...iere-at-cannes
Old 04-27-12, 05:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About goddamn fucking time. I've been waiting for that cut for years now. Guess his daughter was really serious about getting it out. Fucking awesome.
Old 04-29-12, 03:24 PM

so is the Cannes presentation 4K digital projection or actual 70mm?
Old 04-30-12, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so is the Cannes presentation 4K digital projection or actual 70mm?
It's Cannes. I'd be shocked if it was anything but 70mm.
Old 04-30-12, 07:31 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
It's Cannes. I'd be shocked if it was anything but 70mm.
Then be shocked.

http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en/article/58952.html

To mark the 50th anniversary of the production and release of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA by David Lean (1962, 222'), Sony-Columbia have made a new restoration of the film in 4K.
Restored by Sony Pictures Entertainment in 4K at Sony Pictures’ Colorworks.
Old 04-30-12, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
To mark the 50th anniversary of the production and release of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA by David Lean (1962, 222'), Sony-Columbia have made a new restoration of the film in 4K.
Restored by Sony Pictures Entertainment in 4K at Sony Pictures’ Colorworks.
That doesn't mean it's going to be shown in 4K; just that restoration work was done to produce a 4K master (from which 70mm prints could be struck).

That said, I expect it probably will be projected digitally.
Old 04-30-12, 08:08 AM
Banned by request

Me too. I'm going by the other films on the page I posted. Most say if they're being projected via film or digital. Pretty dissappointing.
Old 04-30-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So 4K digital is inferior to 70mm I take it?
Old 04-30-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So 4K digital is inferior to 70mm I take it?
Not necessarily.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.