Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones Collection -- Fall 2012

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Indiana Jones Collection -- Fall 2012

Old 02-29-12, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Re: Indiana Jones Collection -- Fall 2012

I have the Indiana Jones Trilogy Box set on DVD as well as Crystal Skull 2-disc. But, I'm game for an upgrade.

As far as the bonus material goes, the DVD box set has a great 2 hour Indiana Jones: Making the Trilogy documentary. I wonder if that will get ported over or if they will produce a new one with material from the 4th film included.
Old 02-29-12, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure the box set will come with all of the previously released extras from the DVDs. Just look at what Lucas did with the Star Wars blu-ray set, Empire Of Dreams, all of the extras from the prequels and From Star Wars To Jedi were on it.
Old 02-29-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshimi
I am sure the box set will come with all of the previously released extras from the DVDs. Just look at what Lucas did with the Star Wars blu-ray set, Empire Of Dreams, all of the extras from the prequels and From Star Wars To Jedi were on it.
Empire of Dreams was not on the Star Wars BD box set.
Old 02-29-12, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Didn't the opposite happen with Star Wars?
Old 02-29-12, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're either trolling or way out of the loop.
Old 02-29-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Methinks yoshimi was being sarcastic...
Old 02-29-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Methinks yoshimi was being sarcastic...
Yeah, that.
Old 02-29-12, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

What are the chances we get a complete set of trailers for the movies like we did on the Star Wars blu-rays (more sarcasm)?

They'll probably release a complete set that contains all episodes of the Young Indy TV series and Indy V a few years from now.
Old 02-29-12, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
As long as the the giant nazi doesn't escape the propellers or have the Arab swordsman shoot first I'll be buying this.
I'm sure (hoping) there won't be anything as drastic as this but what are the chances these blu-rays will be completely untouched (ie. digital touchups to the background, matte paintings, etc)?

We've already seen that they altered the shot of the car falling off the cliff. How much of the trilogy will be left alone?

I may end up holding on to the DVD box set just in case.
Old 02-29-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
It was already released separately.
Sure, but they wouldn't release a set called "All the Good Movies (Pending Debate Between #s 2 and 3)" and rely on people having bought the other one sometime in the last few years. And no doubt there'd be a contingent complaining about that too. Not to mention some bonus features would probably encompass all films in the series.
Old 02-29-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll wait for either a)massive price mistake/deal like Jurassic Park or b)separate releases.
Old 03-01-12, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Everyone always dogs the fourth movie (and rightly so), but the second one sucked just as much. I'll probably wait for individual releases. Since they're not really a continuing story, I always watch 1 and 3 back to back and have no need for the others.
Old 03-01-12, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
We've already seen that they altered the shot of the car falling off the cliff. How much of the trilogy will be left alone?
What's the story with this? I did a google search but this thread was the top result. I didn't realize the trilogy had been altered.
Old 03-01-12, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Dead
Everyone always dogs the fourth movie (and rightly so), but the second one sucked just as much. I'll probably wait for individual releases. Since they're not really a continuing story, I always watch 1 and 3 back to back and have no need for the others.
You're insane. The second one is fantastic.
Old 03-01-12, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Dead
What's the story with this? I did a google search but this thread was the top result. I didn't realize the trilogy had been altered.
See here for the change:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIH46G9_3SU
Old 03-01-12, 06:18 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
this...
Old 03-01-12, 06:54 AM

I saw The Last Crusade on Bravo HD the other day and was blown away by it. I wasn't planning on watching it, but I had to watch it for a little while just because of how nice it looked. It made me want to get the blu-rays, right then and there, as I couldn't imagine them being any better.

As for changes in the movie, I seriously doubt it. I know Lucas owns them producer, but Spielberg was the director and has a lot of say (even against Lucas). Spielberg spoke out against altering movies a while back (even saying he regretted changing ET and will probably not release the 2002 version on Blu-ray). Some might argue that if Spielberg had a say against Lucas, then the 4th wouldn't have been as bad, but I just don't think Spielberg cared at that point. Lucas does respect Spielberg and asks his opinion a lot (even if he doesn't always listen), but these are Spielberg's movies as well, so I'm sure he would listen to him this time around. Heck, it was actually Spielberg that told him to direct the prequels when Lucas wanted to hand it over to someone else, despite complaints that Lucas wanted control. I read it in an interview with Spielberg a while back (don't remember where, though).
Old 03-01-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd say it's as good as Crystal Skull, which I do like. I do really love the pacing of Temple of Doom though. None of them touch Raiders.
Old 03-01-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kate Capshaw almost manages to single-handedly ruin Temple of Doom for me. She is So. Fucking. Annoying. that I sometimes can't take it.

I've already got Crystal Turd on Blu, so I'd really rather not have to buy it again.
Old 03-01-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I have very vivid memories of going to see Temple of Doom as a kid when I was about 7. They were passing out Indiana Jones things at the theater. It was all so exciting to me. I think it's one of those movies that I have a hard time looking past that experience with. Because of that, it gets a bit of a pass from me, though I certainly understand why others would slam it.

Not surprised at all that the fourth was included. I wasn't a big enough of a fan to buy it on its own, and I knew I'd have to buy it when the inevitable Indy boxset was announced.
Old 03-01-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I've already got Crystal Turd on Blu, so I'd really rather not have to buy it again.
See, that was my issue with this. Even those that liked it probably already bought it. It's not like The Godfather, in which all 3 films get released for the first time on the format. I was hoping they would do a set with the first 3 and call it "The Original Adventures" like the first Lego game or something.

As for alterations, I wouldn't expect anything big enough to raise a stink about. Given his recent comments about E.T., as Obidawsn said, Spielberg seems to realize that was a mistake. He should also have a say in whether the extras from the DVDs are included or not.
Old 03-01-12, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
this...
Thirded. I love it frankly.
Old 03-01-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Kate Capshaw almost manages to single-handedly ruin Temple of Doom for me. She is So. Fucking. Annoying. that I sometimes can't take it.
I can't stand Capshaw's character and vastly prefer Last Crusade partly for this reason (love Connery).

Originally Posted by clckworang
Not surprised at all that the fourth was included. I wasn't a big enough of a fan to buy it on its own, and I knew I'd have to buy it when the inevitable Indy boxset was announced.
I remember when it was new and in a Black Friday blowout for like 8 or 9 bucks and I still passed

I imagine people can get some value from reselling it now, but probably not a whole lot.
Old 03-01-12, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Thirded. I love it frankly.
I love The Last Crusade a lot more than all of them. It's what I grew up on and I love it. BUT..it's not the best one of the original 3. ToD beats the shit out of it. Taking risks, better direction, etc etc.

The best is easily Raiders but ToD was a film where a chance was taken and it fucking worked. I admire the fuck out of it cuz of what it did.
Old 03-01-12, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
The best is easily Raiders but ToD was a film where a chance was taken and it fucking worked. I admire the fuck out of it cuz of what it did.
Agree. I like what Roger Ebert said about Temple, that it takes some of its cues from different influences than Raiders. It was off the charts bleaker and scarier, and I found that exciting at the time. When it came out, I was in a period of my life where I saw favorite movies over and over at the theatre (teenage years). Saw Star Wars a dozen times between 1977-1981, Empire Strikes Back nine times after its release, Raiders probably seven or eight times, Temple of Doom at least four.

My order of preference for the Indy films is the same as their order of release.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.