Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-12, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

I bet a lot of orders are people buying copies to sell, after Fright Night was selling for $100+ on Ebay. I just hope the market gets flooded and those buying for profit don't make much if any of a profit.
Old 09-15-12, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are there any reviews of NOTLD(r) yet? I know they have a good record, but $35 hurts for an upgrade I'm not even sure I need.
Old 09-15-12, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This is the 1990 remake of Night Of The Living Dead, owned by Sony. It's definitely not in the public domain and will likely sell out within the week.
Oops.

It's the crappy version (alright, it was decent enough).

Only 3k made and they still have more than half available.

This is going to be just like Fright Night I'm buying extra copies to go next to my beanie baby collection.
Old 09-15-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Only 3k made and they still have more than half available.
If you don't think 1500 copies in 20 hours is impressive for TT, than you'll never be pleased with any catalog numbers.
Old 09-15-12, 11:23 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoirFan
If you don't think 1500 copies in 20 hours is impressive, than you'll never be pleased with any catalog numbers.
No, it's not impressive at all.

Why do you think Sony licensed this title out? Because they couldn't make money releasing it themselves.
Old 09-15-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

If you don't think 1500 copies in 20 hours is impressive for TT, than you'll never be pleased with any catalog numbers.
Crapping on sales numbers is kind of his thing.
Old 09-15-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, it's not impressive at all.

Why do you think Sony licensed this title out? Because they couldn't make money releasing it themselves.
Fright Night, their hottest previous seller, took 35 days to sell 3,000 copies. How is this not a major success for them? Do you not understand how boutique labels operate?
Old 09-15-12, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Fright Night, their hottest previous seller, took 35 days to sell 3,000 copies. How is this not a major success for them?
For them? Sure.

For Catalog? No.

1,500 copies is nothing. That's why it got licensed in the first place. It couldn't sell and make enough money for Sony to even bother. Sony, the studio that has released barely any catalog this year on Blu-ray but felt Milo and Otis was worthy.

I'll just "find" a copy of this to watch. $30 + shipping is price gouging.
Old 09-15-12, 11:27 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Crapping on sales numbers is kind of his thing.
We need a like button.

But really, 1,500 copies sold and some people are practically high-fiving through the computer screens.
Old 09-15-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll just "find" a copy of this to watch. $30 + shipping is price gouging.
I figured you'd be buying several to sell later, as with Fright Night. The real price gouging with this will be on the reseller market.
Old 09-15-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

But really, 1,500 copies sold and some people are practically high-fiving through the computer screens.
I guess the exciting thing for me about this is that if a not-particularly-good horror flick like this NoTLD remake can so quickly hit the numbers that Twilight Time wants, maybe that'll open the door for genre films I actually want to hit Blu-ray.

A lot of the movies I want on Blu-ray wouldn't make sense to get a general release...they'll either be Echo Bridge shovelware or these sorts of boutique, limited releases. I just wish there were a way to make it work at $19.95 or $22.95 or somethin'.
Old 09-15-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gizmo, your posts here and in the Criterion thread show that you have no idea how boutique labels operate. I can guaran-goddamn-tee you that no one at Twilight Time was disappointed when their limited edition of Fright Night sold out in a month, nor are they disappointed that half their copies of NotLD sold out in less than 24 hours.

Here's a novel concept for you: DVD companies don't have the same expectations for all titles. Lawrence of Arabia could sell 500 thousand copies on Blu-ray and still be considered a disappointment by the producers and distributors. A small independent foreign film could sell 3 thousand copies and be considered profitable and a major success.

Companies like Twilight Time and Masters of Cinema are fully aware that they're targeting a relatively small market and they don't expect to sell Lawrence of Arabia-style numbers. They know what they're doing better than you do.
Old 09-15-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Ha, already a few on ebay. Also I have learned never to trust Gizmo's advice on money/sales. If I had I would be $2600 & 100+ movies poorer.
Old 09-15-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

A studio like Sony needs a movie like NOTLD to sell at least 7500 units and in some cases 10,000 units on Blu-ray, to break even on it. There are literally hundreds of movies that could sell 5000 units the studios have no interest in releasing.
Old 09-15-12, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1400 copies remain, 2300 of Enemy Mine
Old 09-15-12, 06:56 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sondheim
Gizmo, your posts here and in the Criterion thread show that you have no idea how boutique labels operate. I can guaran-goddamn-tee you that no one at Twilight Time was disappointed when their limited edition of Fright Night sold out in a month, nor are they disappointed that half their copies of NotLD sold out in less than 24 hours.

Here's a novel concept for you: DVD companies don't have the same expectations for all titles. Lawrence of Arabia could sell 500 thousand copies on Blu-ray and still be considered a disappointment by the producers and distributors. A small independent foreign film could sell 3 thousand copies and be considered profitable and a major success.

Companies like Twilight Time and Masters of Cinema are fully aware that they're targeting a relatively small market and they don't expect to sell Lawrence of Arabia-style numbers. They know what they're doing better than you do.
Interesting.

So what about all those other TT Blu-rays that were limited to 3,000 copies and they still have copies available to purchase? How profitable were those?

You do know that they have to buy the rights to many films to get several 'good ones', right? Sony won't just license them the good stuff and not bundle it with some stinkers. Sure, you can take NOTLD, but you also have to license these 5 stinkers from us. They need to make a profit on those 5 too.

Unlike Criterion, TT doesn't have that rapid fanbase that will buy anything as long as it has a spine number.
Old 09-15-12, 06:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Ha, already a few on ebay. Also I have learned never to trust Gizmo's advice on money/sales. If I had I would be $2600 & 100+ movies poorer.
Are we discussing HD DVD? You do realize that those movies still play and anyone who buys movies on disc for an 'investment' are idiots, right? In some cases those movies on HD DVD are still exclusive to that format, have better picture/audio quality and possibly more extras. But nahh...let's ignore that. You're somehow "richer" by switching to Blu-ray
Old 09-15-12, 07:00 PM
Suspended

A studio like Sony needs a movie like NOTLD to sell at least 7500 units and in some cases 10,000 units on Blu-ray, to break even on it. There are literally hundreds of movies that could sell 5000 units the studios have no interest in releasing.
IIRC, it was 8-10k a year or two back to 'break even'. It can obviously change depending how much work was put into the film (restoration etc.).

There are obvious reasons why all the major studios now license out titles to third tier studios - they know they can't make money releasing it. NOTLD probably would have done decent if released by Sony, but Sony has little interest in catalog titles on Blu-ray. It's all pretty ironic at this point. They are one of the biggest studios who barely support the format.
Old 09-15-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are we discussing HD DVD? You do realize that those movies still play and anyone who buys movies on disc for an 'investment' are idiots, right? In some cases those movies on HD DVD are still exclusive to that format, have better picture/audio quality and possibly more extras. But nahh...let's ignore that. You're somehow "richer" by switching to Blu-ray
Nope, talking about the full moon investment and real money.
Old 09-15-12, 08:10 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by sterlingben
nope, talking about the full moon investment and real money.
Old 09-15-12, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My reaction as well, all the way to the bank!
Old 09-16-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I hear HD DVDs still play if you boil them correctly.
Old 09-17-12, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered it, I enjoyed the NOTLD remake more than I liked Romero's last couple of zombie flicks and it was the best zombie movie of the 90s. The DVD is a good release (with a great commentary track) but I figured I can spring for an upgrade picture quality wise.
Old 09-17-12, 09:43 AM
Suspended

I hear HD DVDs still play if you boil them correctly.
Everytime I try and watch one they always work
Old 09-17-12, 09:44 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
My reaction as well, all the way to the bank!
You never actually spilled the details on this. You've made snide remarks but never actually said what you got, how long it took etc. Care to share the details or are we just going to believe that Full Moon sent you a grip of money for supporting their shitty little film?

Because you are the only person I've ever heard make mention of this deal. Ever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.