Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Battle Royale 1&2 (Anchor Bay) (3-20-2012)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Battle Royale 1&2 (Anchor Bay) (3-20-2012)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: Battle Royale 1&2 (Anchor Bay) (3-20-2012)

Originally Posted by Giles
or an apology
That's sort of what I was getting at. Sometimes an open look at what went wrong with this can be really interesting. Most of the time, though, the filmmakers aren't willing to admit they made a shit movie.
Old 12-14-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clckworang
That's sort of what I was getting at. Sometimes an open look at what went wrong with this can be really interesting. Most of the time, though, the filmmakers aren't willing to admit they made a shit movie.
This film was made by the Japanese, you're not getting an apology.

... and the now-defunct Tartan released a three-disc set of Battle Royale II set years ago. It included both the theatrical and extended cuts along with all of the bonus material that graced the Japanese limited edition two-disc set.
Old 12-14-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'd bet that the majority of Hunger Games fans have no idea about Battle Royale.
As Trespoochies mentioned, the demographics are different. I previously worked in a bookstore, and most who bought Hunger Games were Tweens. You'd get another various age groups pick them up, but Tweens were the main draw. Also the fact that the Hunger Games crowd may not know about Battle Royale doesn't bug me, not even sure why it wouldn't bug anyone. They like their stuff, you like yours, don't see an issue in that.

I read the first Hunger Games book and I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't call it a rip-off because the gladiator, pitting-someone-against-someone isn't a new idea.

The core idea of both Hunger Games and Battle Royale are similar, but at least in the first book, that's where the similarities end.

On topic, I really hope that AB doesn't mess up this release.
Old 12-14-11, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Revenge cut is better.
It's not as bas as everyone makes out.
You all whine way too much.
Old 12-14-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
As Trespoochies mentioned, the demographics are different. I previously worked in a bookstore, and most who bought Hunger Games were Tweens. You'd get another various age groups pick them up, but Tweens were the main draw. Also the fact that the Hunger Games crowd may not know about Battle Royale doesn't bug me, not even sure why it wouldn't bug anyone. They like their stuff, you like yours, don't see an issue in that.

I read the first Hunger Games book and I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't call it a rip-off because the gladiator, pitting-someone-against-someone isn't a new idea.

The core idea of both Hunger Games and Battle Royale are similar, but at least in the first book, that's where the similarities end.

On topic, I really hope that AB doesn't mess up this release.
I agree. I don't think it should bug anyone, I was pointing out that I think this release to tie in with the movie is plain silly.
Old 12-14-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I agree. I don't think it should bug anyone, I was pointing out that I think this release to tie in with the movie is plain silly.
Kevin Carney from Anchor Bay via Fangoria

“The whole goal is to try and do this up as ‘the original HUNGER GAMES,’ because everyone keeps talking about that and they have hundreds of millions of dollars behind it,” Anchor Bay’s Kevin Carney tells Fango. “If you Google ‘HUNGER GAMES vs. BATTLE ROYALE,’ there are like 200 websites that talk about how BATTLE ROYALE is really the original. So anything we can do to get that fan base to know about the movie that kind of influenced it will be part of our marketing campaign.”
Old 12-14-11, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
The Revenge cut is better.
It's not as bas as everyone makes out.
You all whine way too much.
You're wrong. Nothing saves BRII, not even an additional half-an-hour of fluff.

If it was a stand alone film and not a sequel to a film that most consider to be one of the greatest films of last decade, then I guess it could be considered crap rather than shit.

You're right, but in this thread, you're wrong.
Old 12-15-11, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

“The whole goal is to try and do this up as ‘the original HUNGER GAMES,’ because everyone keeps talking about that and they have hundreds of millions of dollars behind it,” Anchor Bay’s Kevin Carney tells Fango. “If you Google ‘HUNGER GAMES vs. BATTLE ROYALE,’ there are like 200 websites that talk about how BATTLE ROYALE is really the original. So anything we can do to get that fan base to know about the movie that kind of influenced it will be part of our marketing campaign.”
Like I said, plain silly.
Old 12-15-11, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
You're wrong. Nothing saves BRII, not even an additional half-an-hour of fluff.
I thought the Saving Private Ryan style beachhead sequence was pretty good and the paired collars was a interesting addition. Sure it'll never be as good as the first, and there were a couple of cheesy parts and I think people get a little too bent out of shape over the US indirectly being portrayed in a negative light by the movie, but it's not like our movies don't portray other countries poorly either. Also, if you happen to like the Special Edition version of the 1st, then the Revenge cut works because it's cut in a similar fashion tonally as the 1st Special Edition.
Old 12-15-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We'll have to agree to disagree. I wasn't impressed with the Saving Private Ryan ripoff opening and thought the use of the paired collars didn't make much sense.
Old 12-15-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Here's a link on Blu-ray.com about the Blu-ray transfer that exists in Japan:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/5565406-post31.html

TL;DR: Japanese Blu-ray transfer was created from the master used for the 3D theatrical re-release last year. It looks superior to the Arrow release, but has DNR, over-the-top contrasting, and even more CGI gore (than the Special Version) to really enhance the 3D.
To me the Japan blu only looks like cranked up the contrast and turned up the brightness. Looks superior to the Arrow release? Um no.
Old 12-15-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
I thought the Saving Private Ryan style beachhead sequence was pretty good and the paired collars was a interesting addition. Sure it'll never be as good as the first, and there were a couple of cheesy parts and I think people get a little too bent out of shape over the US indirectly being portrayed in a negative light by the movie, but it's not like our movies don't portray other countries poorly either. Also, if you happen to like the Special Edition version of the 1st, then the Revenge cut works because it's cut in a similar fashion tonally as the 1st Special Edition.
The problem with the Saving Private Ryan knock-off set piece is that it kills nearly a majority of the students in one-fell swoop. Instead of brief, individual set pieces within the first film where we get to meet the students before their inevitable demise, we don't get that sort of character or story development.

I have no problem with the American bashing as I bash America every chance I get too.

Honestly, the original idea for Battle Royale II (which pretty much was same as the first with different characters) was a lot better than the nonsense/terrorist bullshit idea they came up with.
Old 12-17-11, 07:06 AM
Cool New Member

We get it, Matthew. You didn't like it. Now kindly STFU. Pretty please, with sugar on top.

Ok, cool it. Some like it, some don't. -namja

Last edited by namja; 12-19-11 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-19-11, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rebel-scum78
We get it, Matthew. You didn't like it. Now kindly STFU. Pretty please, with sugar on top.
<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RUFT35S7Jb4?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RUFT35S7Jb4?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited by namja; 12-19-11 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-19-11, 12:03 PM
Cool New Member

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/K8eD5cFFJP4?version=3&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/K8eD5cFFJP4?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 01-02-12, 07:58 PM

Cover Art

http://www.cityonfire.com/battle-roy...vd-anchor-bay/

Old 01-04-12, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It sounds like we can expect a Hunger Games blurb on the Battle Royale cover.
Old 01-04-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like that cover art.
Old 01-09-12, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Anchor Bay Entertainment:

Format: (3) BD 50, (1) DVD 9
MSRP: $49.99
Runtime: 368min.
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1

Product Features:
TV Spot: Tarantino Version
Special Edition TV Spot
Original Theatrical Trailer*
Battle Royale Documentary*
Special Effects Comparison Featurette
Filming On-Set
Behind-The-Scenes Featurette
Audition & Rehearsal Footage
Instructional Video: Birthday Version
Battle Royale Press Conference
Tokyo International Film Festival 2000
The Making Of Battle Royale
Basketball Scene Rehearsals

If this special features list is final, we're missing out on at least an hour of bonus material that made it onto the Arrow three-disc set, such as:

• Special Edition Theatrical Trailer
• Shooting the Special Edition
• Takeshi Kitano Interview
• Conducting BATTLE ROYALE with the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra
• Opening Day at the Marunouchi Toei Movie Theatre
• The Slaughter of 42 High School Students
• The Correct Way to Fight in Battle Royale
• Masamichi Amano Conducts BATTLE ROYALE

... and of course, all of the bonus material that currently exists for Battle Royale II (which totals up to nearly three hours).

Really Anchor Bay?

If the set includes the same transfers from the Arrow set, I'm out and canceling my pre-order. The Arrow set wins on completeness alone (and I could give a flying fuck about BRII). Come on Anchor Bay and surprise us. You have three Blu-rays and a DVD you're working with. That could possibly be 158GB of storage capacity to have fun with. All the versions of the two films and already existing bonus material can easily fit within that much space.

Another confirmed downer is the only way to get the (superior) theatrical cut is by purchasing the complete set. The single-disc will only consist of the (inferior) Special Version.
Old 01-10-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ I can't say I'm shocked by any of that, but until I'm able to get a region-free Blu-ray player, this will have to be the release for me. At least I like the cover art.
Old 01-11-12, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

According to Anchor Bay, only the Special Version will have a Dolby Digital TrueHD 7.1 track (the theatrical cut and BRII will have TrueHD 5.1 tracks) and all of the bonus material will be regulated to the fourth (DVD) disc.

Pre-order cancelled. There's nothing here that I already don't own with the Arrow set.
Old 01-11-12, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I'm not going to worry about this either. Something tells me Anchor Bay will do a separate BR II release at some point.
Old 01-16-12, 01:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

$19.99 enticing price point.
Old 01-16-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The temptation was too strong for me. I locked in my price.
Old 01-16-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
That's the same price as for the single-disc edition. I've pre-ordered.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.