Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

21" Full HD Monitor or 32" HD Ready TV for Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is better for Blu-Ray? I have a 32" HD TV but its NOT 1080p although blu-rays look fantastic on it and 10 times better then DVD. The 21" monitor might have more resolution since its full HD, but what is better for blu-ray overall? I think I prefer the 32" HD TV because of bigger screen size and it looks fantastic at 1080i/720p anyway. What does everyone else think? In this case is screen size better then extra resolution or is it the other way around ?
Old 11-29-11, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 21" Full HD Monitor or 32" HD Ready TV for Blu-ray

At 32" there is no way you are going to see a difference between 1080i (or 720p) and 1080p. Heck, unless you have amazing eyes and are super picky, you probably won't see a difference until you get in the 60"+ sizes. There are other factors that could make one or the other look better, but resolution isn't one of them.

Also, the only difference between "HD" and "HD-Ready" is that ready means it does not have it's own HD tuner built in, so you would need a tuner of some sort to receive over-the-air channels. If you have an HD cable or sat box, you are fine with either. It won't matter for Blu-ray.
Old 11-29-11, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: 21" Full HD Monitor or 32" HD Ready TV for Blu-ray

It depends, based on the combination of resolution, screen size, and seating distance.

For example, look at the chart in this article:
http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

According to that, you'd have to be sitting no more than 3 feet away from a 21" screen to see the advantage of 1080 resolution. So if you're say, watching Blu-rays while sitting at your computer, the 21" screen may be better.

If, however, you're sitting on your couch, the 32" HDTV is likely a better choice, since you're probably sitting 5 feet or further away from the TV.

Additionally, there are other factors to consider besides just resolution, such as color accuracy, black levels, contrast, and response time.