Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-17, 11:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

It never reigned. Not much of an update on either. 3D comes in waves. Has been since the 50's. It'll be back again, probably at inflated premium prices as usual.
Old 08-04-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Looking at my collection I currently own 99 3D blu rays. If I don't buy anything for the next couple weeks, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will be number 100.
Well that didn't hold out. Picked up Avatar 3D and TRON: Legacy 3D during a B1G1 yesterday. So I guess Guardians 2 will be number 102.
Old 08-04-17, 09:48 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

B1g1? Where's this?
Old 08-04-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Well that didn't hold out. Picked up Avatar 3D and TRON: Legacy 3D during a B1G1 yesterday. So I guess Guardians 2 will be number 102.
Tron Legacy 3D is my demo disc (specifically the light cycle battles). Better to show off the format than Avatar IMHO.
Old 08-04-17, 11:35 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Tron Legacy 3D is my demo disc (specifically the light cycle battles). Better to show off the format than Avatar IMHO.
i have this, but never saw it in 3D. maybe i should...
Old 08-04-17, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

I found Tron: Legacy disappointing in 3D. The depth is extremely conservative, and some scenes that really ought to be 3D showcases (like the light cycle race) are practically 2D.
Old 08-04-17, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
B1g1? Where's this?
It ended yesterday

https://www.vintagestock.com/
Old 08-04-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts

If anyone needs A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas 3D it dropped to $29.20 on Amazon (3rd party prime has it for 29.19).
I don't know why it doesn't show on the website that tracks price drops, but a couple of days ago it dropped to $30 from $43
Old 08-04-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I found Tron: Legacy disappointing in 3D. The depth is extremely conservative, and some scenes that really ought to be 3D showcases (like the light cycle race) are practically 2D.
Josh, here's what highdefdigest (the site you write for and edit) has to say about the disc:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4684...nlegacy3d.html

Tron: Legacy 3D

'Tron: Legacy' arrives on 3D Blu-ray as a very important release for the new format. Being an extremely successful 3D release this past winter, nothing short of a demo worthy transfer would please fans. I am pleased to report that Disney has continued their superb 3D Blu-ray track record and produced their best looking disc yet.

'Tron: Legacy' is presented with a stunning 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 transfer that alternates between 2.35:1 and 1.78:1 aspect ratio, the later representing the film's IMAX sequences. 'Tron:Legacy' is not an entire 3D film, as most modern 3D releases are. Rather, at the start of the film we are told that portions of the film were shot in 2D and will be shown in 2D as that is how they are intended to be seen. The 2D sequences are entirely in the real-world periods of the film. To my relief, this is a barely noticeable transition, and the results are stunning. The strength of this transfer is all in the colors. In the real world, blacks are inky and deep, colors are not overly bright, and textures are spot-on. The colors really shine through in the sequences on the grid. Blacks and infinitely deep Blues, reds, oranges, and other bright neon colors burst out of the screen, impressing throughout. Skin tones are equally impressive and detail from the clothing down to the shiny surfaces is nearly perfect. You will truly be drawn into this visually stunning film.

The 3D effects are also demo quality, especially in the IMAX sequences. Depth is extremely strong, turning your TV into an infinitely deep tunnel at times. This 3D presentation does not jump in your face and wow you to death, instead, it serves to create a near perfect experience that is nearly mistaken for reality at times. The lightcycle sequence will keep you on the edge of your seat, making you feel like you're riding alongside the characters. Colors and textures lose none of their beauty in 3D, and no dimming is experienced. Ghosting is also non-existent in this release. Simply telling you how awesome this film appears in 3D is not enough, this truly needs to be experienced at home as this film truly showcases the potential of 3D Blu-ray.

'Tron: Legacy' is simply a demo disc. If I could, I would give this a 6/5, but as it stands, this is a must view experience for all. (Video score: 5/5)

----

It doesn't say who wrote/edited the review but clearly, there is a difference of opinion on the matter, and I stand by mine.
Old 08-04-17, 02:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was only buying off Amazon.usa until a friend from the UK told me about the cheap ass prices and now I'm getting those 3Ders from there.

They are so much cheaper, shipping is only about $5-6 and it takes about 2-3 weeks to get it.

Just make sure that they are REGION FREE and "You're in like Flynn!"

I just spent $37 including shipping for THE TIM BURTON 3D COLLECTION: Nightmare Before Christmas, Frankenweenie, Alice in Wonderland and Coraline.

Saved about $60 and that's the way I'm going to increase my 3D collection!!!

Old 08-04-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by sparks
I just spent $37 including shipping for THE TIM BURTON 3D COLLECTION: Nightmare Before Christmas, Frankenweenie, Alice in Wonderland and Coraline...
The "Tim Burton 3D Collection" is only the first three of those movies: Nightmare Before Christmas, Frankenweenie, and Alice in Wonderland. Coraline isn't in that collection, because Tim Burton had nothing to do with that film.

Did you mean you bought the Tim Burton 3D Collection & Coraline? Any reason you didn't go for the Laika 3D 3-pack (Coraline, Paranorman & Boxtrolls)?
Old 08-04-17, 02:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The "Tim Burton 3D Collection" is only the first three of those movies: Nightmare Before Christmas, Frankenweenie, and Alice in Wonderland. Coraline isn't in that collection, because Tim Burton had nothing to do with that film.

Did you mean you bought the Tim Burton 3D Collection & Coraline? Any reason you didn't go for the Laika 3D 3-pack (Coraline, Paranorman & Boxtrolls)?
Yes Jay, that's what I meant. One of my favorites is TNBC and that's what I really wanted. Of course, I can always triple dip for that other box set, which I might do...so damn many movies and so little time!
Old 08-04-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Josh, here's what highdefdigest (the site you write for and edit) has to say about the disc:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4684...nlegacy3d.html
That's nice. I do not write everything on that site. I did not write that review. I disagree with that review. I disagree with many of the reviews on the site. Different people have different opinions about things.

I've watched Tron: Legacy on two separate 3D projectors and never found it satisfying. I find that I need to bump up the "3D Strength" setting (which artificially increases parallax) on my current projector before I even notice that very much of the movie is in 3D at all.
Old 08-04-17, 03:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Josh vs Josh, Battle of the Year, in 3D!
Old 08-04-17, 03:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'll take 4K as long as it's in Dolby Vision and Atmos!

If not, I'll take the 3D.
Old 08-04-17, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll try to watch Tron Legacy 3D on my projector this weekend and report back
Old 08-04-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I've watched Tron: Legacy on two separate 3D projectors and never found it satisfying. I find that I need to bump up the "3D Strength" setting (which artificially increases parallax) on my current projector before I even notice that very much of the movie is in 3D at all.
I had a similar experience in the theater, I saw Tron: Legacy in Real 3D, and I barely noticed anything was in 3D.
Old 08-04-17, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's nice. I do not write everything on that site. I did not write that review. I disagree with that review. I disagree with many of the reviews on the site. Different people have different opinions about things.

Opinions vary. On this we are on opposite sides. It's a reference disc for both audio and video.
Old 08-04-17, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I had a similar experience in the theater, I saw Tron: Legacy in Real 3D, and I barely noticed anything was in 3D.
Wow, when did this stop being $10 everywhere? Might need to stop dragon my feet on some of the current bargin bin 3D titles.
Old 08-04-17, 09:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
If anyone needs A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas 3D it dropped to $29.20 on Amazon (3rd party prime has it for 29.19).
I don't know why it doesn't show on the website that tracks price drops, but a couple of days ago it dropped to $30 from $43
That's still pretty pricey. It's been out for awhile...

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-04-17 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-04-17, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can still grab it from the Disney Movie Rewards. I think it's around 2000 points.
Old 08-05-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Agree the 3D was disappointing. The dark scenes didn't help it either. Glad I got it with Disney reward points instead of actual $.
Old 08-05-17, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just watched Gog last night--great 50's sci-fi fun, with some excellent 3D.

Doesn't seem like too many classic 3D westerns have made their way to BD yet, but I see Twilight Time is releasing Gun Fury (1953, Rock Hudson) in September. I'll be getting that one.
Old 08-05-17, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll try to watch Tron Legacy 3D on my projector this weekend and report back
So I watched it and it's kind of a mixed bag. The movie even has a warning when you start it saying that some scenes are in 2D and some in 3D, and not to remove your glasses because that's the way it was filmed. The first 25 minutes are entirely in 2D. After that it flips back and forth, but mostly in 3D. And the scenes when they are on the grid are absolutely stunning, especially when the aspect ratio changes. And then the last 8 - 10 minutes of the movie go back to 2D. So overall I would say it's worth watching in 3D, especially on a projector. Just go in knowing that some of the movie is 2D only.
Old 08-06-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just watched It Came From Outer Space. I've seen the movie numerous times--I had the dvd, then the 2D blu ray, and even watched the 3D anaglyph version on TV. But wow, seeing it in real 3D was a revelation. Probably my favorite 3D title I've watched so far.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.