Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

I've been pretty good at getting 3D releases, including those three Disney titles, while they're still fairly new -- or at really good 'like new' prices through the Amazon Marketplace -- but I'm definitely thinking it's time to be more vigilant about these things, even with the overseas options.

I'm also thinking it might be worth doubling up on 3D discs moving forward. One for me, one for resale later on.
Old 07-12-17, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I would do that except I know that the ones I buy would never be worth it.
Old 07-12-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
I've been pretty good at getting 3D releases, including those three Disney titles, while they're still fairly new -- or at really good 'like new' prices through the Amazon Marketplace -- but I'm definitely thinking it's time to be more vigilant about these things, even with the overseas options.

I'm also thinking it might be worth doubling up on 3D discs moving forward. One for me, one for resale later on.
You really have to be. I just kept waiting for individual deals for all three Toy Story films. The result? I have the first and third but have a lot of problems even finding the second, much less for a decent price.
Old 07-12-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
You really have to be. I just kept waiting for individual deals for all three Toy Story films. The result? I have the first and third but have a lot of problems even finding the second, much less for a decent price.
Sorta the same here. Got the third one no problem, then figured I'd hold out for price drops on or used copies of the first two. Bad idea, so I got them both from Amazon UK in one of their sales, along with quite a few others. THEN the first one shows up as a Disney Movie Rewards pick, so I got that one, too. I've been hoping that TS2 might magically turn up there some day.
Old 07-13-17, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

God help me, but I just ordered Smurfs: The Lost Village from Hong Kong costing a bit under $40, since the US release isn't in 3D. I wasn't fully awake when I made the order, so I use that in my defense.
Old 07-13-17, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Sorta the same here. Got the third one no problem, then figured I'd hold out for price drops on or used copies of the first two. Bad idea, so I got them both from Amazon UK in one of their sales, along with quite a few others. THEN the first one shows up as a Disney Movie Rewards pick, so I got that one, too. I've been hoping that TS2 might magically turn up there some day.
I got my two during a Zavvi closeout sale, but part two wasn't even listed on the site anymore. Last time I checked, Amazon UK did have it listed for cheap prices but from sellers who don't do international shipping. Argh. The quest continues.
Old 07-13-17, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
God help me, but I just ordered Smurfs: The Lost Village from Hong Kong costing a bit under $40, since the US release isn't in 3D. I wasn't fully awake when I made the order, so I use that in my defense.
Hey, I've been seriously contemplating the 3D versions of the first two movies -- which can be had second-hand on Amazon quite cheaply -- even though the third one seems far better suited to the format and received much better reviews (as a film). I had zero interest in seeing the earlier films, and still don't, but, but . .. 3D!
Old 07-13-17, 08:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Yeah, my shelf has maybe 30 films that I never would have even considered buying if it wasn't for the 3D. But at least I have a $15 max purchase price.
Old 07-13-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hear that! Plus, right now I've got both 3D Smurfs movies -- it's weird just writing that -- in my Amazon cart at around $4.00 - $5.00 "very good" each, and I'm still hesitant. There's almost zero interest outside of the format, but I wouldn't be surprised if I held off too long and they suddenly became scarce. I like the fact that the third one is all-CG and, apparently, truer to the source material, but naturally that's the one that will cost big bucks to import.
Old 07-13-17, 10:39 AM

I'm pretty easily pleased, and a sucker for childhood nostalgia, but I think the Smurf films are cute enough to watch more than once.
Old 07-13-17, 06:12 PM

This Toy Story 3D talk made me realize that I didn't own any of them in 3D. Amazon had the trilogy set for $54 after bonus slow shipping discount so I bit. Maybe cheaper at amazon UK when they have their frequent sales, but at least this way I get the Disney points.
Old 07-13-17, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Keep in mind the trilogy set is only the 3D discs and maybe DMR code. So keep your 2D versions if you go that route.
Old 07-13-17, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by b2net
Keep in mind the trilogy set is only the 3D discs and maybe DMR code. So keep your 2D versions if you go that route.
Thanks. Yep, definitely keeping my BD sets for the 2D versions and extras, and my DVD set for those exclusive extras.
Old 07-14-17, 03:49 PM

You get 3 DMR codes with that set, one in each movie. Since they changed the original Disney opening on the 2D versions, I'll just keep the DVDs of those.
Old 07-14-17, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
There are some pretty strong retailer indications that UHD discs are imminent for at least some of these titles, too, so the Blu-ray release details may not actually be complete.
Well, so the retailer listings are up now, and it looks like no domestic 3D release for either Pirates 5 or Cars 3.

Relatedly, I went through all the Disney and Pixar Animation 3D titles. Disney began reissuing them all a year or two ago, because they transitioned from Digital Copy discs to just Digital HD (online redemption). However, some of them never got reissued, and so, are de facto OOP now (see above Toy Story discussion).

It looks like the following 3D titles are currently OOP. Some of these may still be available at DMC or DMR (or Amazon, etc).

Disney:
Meet the Robinsons
Bolt
Planes
A Christmas Carol
Mars Needs Moms
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
John Carter
Secret of the Wings
Frankenweenie

Pixar:
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Cars
Cars 2

Possibly going OOP (not sure yet):
Chicken Little
The Nightmare Before Christmas

In light of these OOP titles and the quick sellouts of Dr. Strange and Rogue One, I think the message is clear. If you want a Disney title on 3D, especially if it's a retailer exclusive, you should buy early. And for many new titles, UK imports may be the only option, once again.

Last edited by TheBang; 07-16-17 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-15-17, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

I should have gotten that Toy Story trilogy, I saw it get down to around $50 last week. I got Toy Story 3D from DMR.
I just picked up Nightmare before Christmas on Amazon.

DMR currently has 3D versions of:
Cars 2
Secret of the Wings
Mars Needs Moms
Chicken Little
Tron Legacy
Meet the Robinsons
Planes
Monsters University
Toy Story
Wreck-It Ralph
Brave
Old 07-18-17, 10:11 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

How is Saw: The Final Chapter in 3D? I know it was natively shot and good reviews, but anyone have and viewed?
Old 07-18-17, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBang
Well, so the retailer listings are up now, and it looks like no domestic 3D release for either Pirates 5 or Cars 3.

Relatedly, I went through all the Disney and Pixar Animation 3D titles. Disney began reissuing them all a year or two ago, because they transitioned from Digital Copy discs to just Digital HD (online redemption). However, some of them never got reissued, and so, are de facto OOP now (see above Toy Story discussion).

It looks like the following 3D titles are currently OOP. Some of these may still be available at DMC or DMR (or Amazon, etc).

Disney:
Meet the Robinsons
Bolt
Planes
A Christmas Carol
Mars Needs Moms
John Carter
Secret of the Wings
Frankenweenie

Pixar:
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Cars
Cars 2

Possibly going OOP (not sure yet):
Chicken Little
The Nightmare Before Christmas

In light of these OOP titles and the quick sellouts of Dr. Strange and Rogue One, I think the message is clear. If you want a Disney title on 3D, especially if it's a retailer exclusive, you should buy early. And for many new titles, UK imports may be the only option, once again.
I ended up getting chicken little for a good deal new on eBay. Cannot justify John Carter or the Pirates movie. And Secret of the wings just seems really stupid and pointless.
Old 07-18-17, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
How is Saw: The Final Chapter in 3D? I know it was natively shot and good reviews, but anyone have and viewed?
Anyone on the above? Real curious about this one. It's my guilty pleasure franchise...
Old 07-19-17, 12:38 AM

I watched it on Vudu, quality there wasn't perfect but some good effects. Wish the Blu-Ray included the theatrical version- the one on Vudu is labeled as such but it's really the unrated cut also.
Old 07-26-17, 01:48 PM

nice little 3D assortment arrived in mailbox today...

Old 07-27-17, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The end continues to approach - IMAX is moving away from 3D.

http://www.thewrap.com/imax-moving-a...ng-preference/
Old 07-27-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
The end continues to approach - IMAX is moving away from 3D.
And apparently they think a bunch of people sitting in a room with VR boxes strapped to their heads is the way of the future.

Thought this was interesting.

And while Hollywood produced a record 68 3-D releases last year, the MPAA reported an 8 percent drop in attendance to those films.
Didn't realize there were that many. Not that they all end up on disc -- and not that all of them are quality conversions -- but I'll take what I can get. An 8 percent drop on an overall record number/increase in 3D movies doesn't really seem like the end of the world.

Last edited by Brian T; 07-27-17 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-28-17, 03:11 AM

Very sad to see them dropping 3D showings before dropping the extra charges, which is likely the biggest thing that's turning people away. Our local IMAX sucks anyways, they have a damaged screen (with a spot that goes in and out of focus when showing 3D), they know the damage is there but won't fix it, yet continue to charge $18 per ticket. I'm pretty much done with theaters altogether.
Old 07-28-17, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Report that to IMAX themselves, not the theatre. They take that stuff way more seriously.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.