Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 11:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

3D Rarities $24.52 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/3-D-Rarities-...rities+blu+ray
Old 03-18-17, 06:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

anyone get Passengers 4K for the 3D? how is it?
Old 03-18-17, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I bought it, will try to watch it soon. Still haven't watched any 4K discs on my new TV yet, though I've checked some online UHD content (ended up that I got the UHD copy of Ender's Game on Vudu from redeeming the Blu-Ray code) and haven't been as blown away by that as I have by the 3D.
Old 03-19-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 869 Likes on 392 Posts

Is there a definitive list of 4k titles that have exclusive 3D blu-ray (region 1)? So far I've seen:
Passengers
Billy Lynn's Long Haftime Walk
Angry Birds
Old 03-19-17, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I really would like to buy passengers in 3D, but at the ridiculous Amazon price of $46 for the UHD/BD/3D set, no thanks. I really, really hate this practice of making the 3D only available in a pricey package of other stuff I don't want.
Old 03-19-17, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I really would like to buy passengers in 3D, but at the ridiculous Amazon price of $46 for the UHD/BD/3D set, no thanks. I really, really hate this practice of making the 3D only available in a pricey package of other stuff I don't want.
it was more reasonable $25.96 prior to release. thinking i may have missed the boat, but oh well...
Old 03-19-17, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Is there a definitive list of 4k titles that have exclusive 3D blu-ray (region 1)? So far I've seen:
Passengers
Billy Lynn's Long Haftime Walk
Angry Birds
Up until the new Underworld movie, it was Sony titles. So add Ghostbusters to that list and that might be it.
Old 03-19-17, 04:15 PM

There's also a few IMAX documentaries from Shout Factory, I have two of them.

Wondering if they did a 4K disc with side-by-side or over/under 3D, which you'd have to manually switch your TV to display, if there would be any advantage of that?
Old 03-20-17, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Well, this isn't a good sign. It looks like Underworld Blood Wars is going to be the first Sony title that doesn't include the 3D version with 4K
And now a second Sony title is coming without 3D. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is coming to 4K & Blu Ray (no 3D) on May 16th.

Now I'm a little concerned. The one company that was forward thinking about offering all of the best technology in one package seems to be abandoning 3D for their home releases.
Old 03-20-17, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
anyone get Passengers 4K for the 3D? how is it?
I picked up the BB steel book last week to get the 3D version.

Probably won't watch the movie in full for a little while yet, but I'll demo a few scenes probably tonight to see how the 3D looks.
Old 03-20-17, 09:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just bought a Epson 6040 and a Sammy K8500 for 3D. Have 15 films and had real trouble with GOG...the PJ said it was in 3D but it wasn't.

Asked someone over at HTF and here was the solution to have it play in 3D. Start the movie in the chapters section...and it played perfectly, how odd is that?

Anyway, just ordered the king of 3Ders...AVATAR! Can't wait to see it on Wednesday. Next will be that B&W thriller...THE MAD MAGICIAN.
Old 03-20-17, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I picked up the BB steel book last week to get the 3D version.

Probably won't watch the movie in full for a little while yet, but I'll demo a few scenes probably tonight to see how the 3D looks.
Let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-21-17, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

sorry, wasn't able to watch anything tonight. Hopefully tomorrow.

In the meantime, I can say that this was a blind buy for which I've heard a fair amount of quibbling about the narrative. Usually I would pass on something like that and just rent it out from the library at some point. But the reason I opted to not only blind buy it, but go for the more expensive 4K/3D issue, was that I read the 3D did add to the overall experience giving the environments/sets a better sense of tangibility and scope.
Old 03-21-17, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like Kong: Skull Island isn't getting a 3D release either. Best Buy removed it from their site.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kong-sku...lW1zHU.R3Me6Wg
Old 03-21-17, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

And now a second Sony title is coming without 3D. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is coming to 4K & Blu Ray (no 3D) on May 16th.

Now I'm a little concerned. The one company that was forward thinking about offering all of the best technology in one package seems to be abandoning 3D for their home releases.
Much like Disney, it appears Sony hasn't abandoned 3D discs entirely. They're just releasing them elsewhere.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter 3D:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NAYNI77/
(there's also a U.K. complete boxed set coming, but no indication of whether it includes 3D versions of the relevant films)

It looks like Kong: Skull Island isn't getting a 3D release either. Best Buy removed it from their site.
And yet again, the U.K. gets the spoils.

Kong: Skull Island 3D:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XH9F2QJ/

Both of these listings say Region B/2, but I believe all of the previous Resident Evil blu-rays were all-region, as was Warner's U.K. 3D Blu-ray of Godzilla, so I can't imagine these won't be, too.

And, for good measure -- and since it likewise appears to be hitting U.S. shelves without 3D -- here's the U.K. listing for:

The Great Wall 3D:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06W9KJHTX/

And XXX: The Return of Xander Cage 3D
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N21S556/
(or from France, if you prefer, with different artwork and title)

Also stumbled across The BFG 3D (Region B only?), another one I don't believe we got over here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LX0OAJB/

And a pre-order for Beauty & The Beast 3D (2017), just in case . . .
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XPDG6LR/

Oh well, at least Warner hasn't abandoned us yet:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VTJ5FLL/

Last edited by Brian T; 03-21-17 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-21-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

This is not good for home 3D. I have no problem importing if I have to, but I may buy less media now if this is the shit they are going to pull.
Old 03-21-17, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

It's definitely frustrating. Just as the tech finally settles into the niche it was always destined to be, Hollywood only wants North Americans to see it in theaters, yet they're more than happy to release 3D discs overseas as if it's business as usual.
Old 03-21-17, 11:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, now's the time to start buying those 3Ders before the prices go thru the roof.
Old 03-21-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
It's definitely frustrating. Just as the tech finally settles into the niche it was always destined to be, Hollywood only wants North Americans to see it in theaters, yet they're more than happy to release 3D discs overseas as if it's business as usual.
Which makes no long term economic sense whatsoever.

If the market for home 3D in the U.S. is so low it's not worth releasing them here, why bother releasing them anywhere else? I don't believe any individual country can possibly be greater than the U.S. market, even if the ratio of 3D to 2D sales is greater. If, for example, 3D to 2D sales in GB are 25%, but only 5% in the U.S., they'd still sell way more 3D copies in the U.S. due to our larger population.

I'll admit I could be wrong about that and U.S. 3D sales are no greater than any other individual country. Still, why deny Americans the opportunity to buy a 3D version?

The reason I most often see cited is it's too expensive to author/produce/package/distribute for the U.S. market.

Nonsense.

Authoring is already done. A caveat about this is that if a film has been edited for individual country's sensibilities, then each of those edited versions will have to be authored separately as well... adding to the overall expense of producing 3D BRs for other countries.

Produce region free 3D discs (as some do already, like Disney), production is already done, too.

Which leaves just packaging/distribution to individualize for the U.S. How much more can that be, considering that also to be done for every individual country?
Old 03-21-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
If the market for home 3D in the U.S. is so low it's not worth releasing them here, why bother releasing them anywhere else?
The problem is thinking of these releases as coming from a single monolithic entity, when in reality each region's distributor makes these decisions for themselves, even if they're subsidiaries of the same distributor in the US.

It's the same reason why some titles have gotten Blu-ray releases only in some regions, or why one region gets certain extras that another region doesn't.

For the most part, the US typically gets the upper hand in these disparities, but sometimes it goes the other way.

For the US, I think the economies of scale is probably working against separate 3D releases. In other regions, the number of 2D Blu-ray pressings is so large that they're probably significantly cheaper than the low run of 3D discs. Also, the pressing facilities likely don't want to deal with the lower runs. So why bother pressing a few 3D discs, when you can just press more of the 2D version? In other regions, the lower scale of both 3D and 2D titles means the costs are probably much closer, while the higher price tag of the 3D titles means a better margin.
Old 03-21-17, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It could party be due to retail space as well. Walmart has completely gotten rid of their 3D section, Best Buy has significantly less space in their section since 4K came along, and Target might carry a handful of titles the first couple weeks and then they end up in the stock room or get shipped back.
Old 03-21-17, 04:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I find it very hard to buy that Wal-Mart has limited space, specially for 2 shelves. I think the main culprit are the studios who charge a premium for the extra disc. That puts most people off from buying.
Old 03-21-17, 07:34 PM

That's what I've been saying all along- if studios are going to charge a premium then they have to expect that they aren't going to sell like hot-cakes. Price them lower and more people will buy. If they're really willing to stop putting them out altogether rather than try lowering the prices, then they're even more greedy than I thought and will result in NO money from me as I won't buy any 2D versions of 3D movies!
Old 03-21-17, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Assassin's Creed was trying to do that. The 3D version is the same price as the regular version at Amazon, Best Buy and Target.
Old 03-22-17, 09:23 AM

Anyone get Sing 3D? Wondering how the overall presentation, the movie, etc. are...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.