Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Old 11-09-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

(In reference to the Toy Story 3Ds)

^But, to clarify; If you buy the trilogy set, ALL you get are the 3D discs.

Last edited by John Galt; 11-09-11 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-09-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
^But, to clarify; If you buy the combo set, ALL you get are the 3D discs.
I guess what you're saying is that if you want regular Blu-ray discs as well that you should buy the individual releases. Having not made the 3D leap yet, is there no way to watch a film in 2D with a 3D disc?
Old 11-09-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

No, in my clarification, I wasn't very clear. I was referring to the trilogy set and edited my original post to reflect that. If you buy the individual releases, you get the Blu Ray, DVD, Digital Copy, and 3D Blu Ray. If you buy the Toy Story 3D trilogy set, all you get are the individual 3D releases.
Old 11-09-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Peep
Do you know if that sale works in-store also?
Yes, it is advertised in this week's circular.

Originally Posted by clckworang
Having not made the 3D leap yet, is there no way to watch a film in 2D with a 3D disc?
It is technically possible, but enabling that feature is dependent on the disc author. Disney, for pretty much every release, makes it 3D-only on 3D discs, and if you put it in a 2D-only player, you just get a warning that says it only works in 3D players.

I have some other releases though that are authored to allow 2D playback, such as Coraline 3D and Resident Evil Afterlife 3D.
Old 11-10-11, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by John Galt
No, in my clarification, I wasn't very clear. I was referring to the trilogy set and edited my original post to reflect that. If you buy the individual releases, you get the Blu Ray, DVD, Digital Copy, and 3D Blu Ray. If you buy the Toy Story 3D trilogy set, all you get are the individual 3D releases.
Isn't that what I thought you said originally?

Originally Posted by Todd B.
It is technically possible, but enabling that feature is dependent on the disc author. Disney, for pretty much every release, makes it 3D-only on 3D discs, and if you put it in a 2D-only player, you just get a warning that says it only works in 3D players.

I have some other releases though that are authored to allow 2D playback, such as Coraline 3D and Resident Evil Afterlife 3D.
What if you're playing it on a 3D Blu-ray player but without a 3D display?
Old 11-10-11, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The absolute best 3D is IMAX: Under the Sea. It has the most depth I have ever seen, looks like the screen stretches miles into the background in some shots.

Some of the BEST 3D quality
========================
Resident Evil Afterlife
Pirates of the Caribbean Fountain of Youth
How to Train your Dragon
Tahiti Ultimate Wave (docu)
Cloudy
Monsters Vs. Aliens

VERY GOOD QUALITY
==================
Lion King 3D conversion is well done
Pirhanna
Megamind
Narnia Dawn Treader
Tron Legacy
IMAX: Hubble 3D
IMAX: Grand Canyon Adventure

There are others but those are the ones that I feel the 3D is very good and "worth it" to watch over a 2D version. Other movies like Thor, Cap America, Harry Potter. Just stick to 2D, 3D is just not worth the lower brightness/vibrance.
Old 11-10-11, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

I don't know for certain, since I don't own either. But I believe the player detects whether it is able to negotiate a 3D video connection on the HDMI link, so if it is not able to negotiate 3D with the display, then it should only report 2D playback capable.
Old 11-10-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know for certain, since I don't own either. But I believe the player detects whether it is able to negotiate a 3D video connection on the HDMI link, so if it is not able to negotiate 3D with the display, then it should only report 2D playback capable.
That's what I figured but didn't know for sure. My two Blu-ray players are a PS3 and a Panasonic, both are 3D. My TV is 2D only. My projector is 3D capable, but I have to buy a converter box. That's why I was thinking I might just buy the 3D versions if they would still be able to play on either player. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-11-11, 02:03 PM

Not sure what you are exactly asking. But if you are asking whether you could play a *Disney* BD3D disc in a Blu-ray 3D player attached to a 2D HDTV, then the answer is no, it won't work (it will work for certain non-Disney titles). The player (or possibly the TV) will display an error saying that you need a 3D TV to watch the title.
Old 11-11-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ That's what I was basically asking. I wasn't necessarily asking specifically about Disney titles because I didn't know they played any different, but if that studio's 3D discs won't play on 2D displays, that's something I wanted to know. Thanks.
Old 11-11-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stopped in a Best Buy after work and they had a ton of the Deathly Hallows Part 2 3D BD. Probably 50-75. I couldn't find part 1, but wasn't looking too hard for it.
Old 11-11-11, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought the Blu-ray Association (or whatever it's called) had a rule about every 3D disc had to offer a 2D version as well. Did something change?
Old 11-12-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Apparently- I've seen lots of complaints on Amazon about the Toy Story set that won't play on 2D players (which is REALLY funny for Disney considering most of their stuff has included every format imaginable like regular DVD and digital copy!) I have Tron Legacy and it plays the Disney intro then shows a message saying you need 3D equipment, the 2D version is included on a separate disc. Just got the last Harry Potter and that has a simpler message when you try and play that, again the 2D version is on another disc. (I don't have a 3D system yet but hopefully will eventually, so I buy everything I want in 3D as long as it also includes a 2D version I can watch now.)
Old 12-07-11, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I caught Tahiti Ultimate Wave on one of the DirecTv 3D channels and that was an excellent doc and some of the best 3D to date.
Old 12-07-11, 08:34 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I gave serious consideration this fall to upgrading my 5 year old Sony VW50 projector to this years 3D VW95ES model, but since I recently replaced the bulb, I've decided to wait until I see better price (sub $5k). But since I believe the upgrade is imminent, I've started purchasing 3D titles when I see a good deal.

Fry's had a couple great sales recently as I've picked up Resident Evil Afterlife, Polar Express, Legends of the Guardians, Final Destination 4, Captain America, Rio and Thor for $16 each, and last week I picked up Nightmare Before Christmas, Toy Story, Lion King and Beauty & the Beast for $17.50. Amazon also had the Tron Legacy bundle for $31 as a lightning deal. I sold off my non-3D versions of several of these titles and came out pretty close to even.

All of the titles I purchased include the regular blu-ray copy separately, except for Resident Evil Afterlife. I was going to check that disc out on my PS3 to see if the 2D version is included and playable on the disc. If it plays correctly, then I may pick up some of the other 3D only movies like Piranha, Monster House, Monsters vs Aliens, etc, when I see them in that $16 price range again.
Old 12-11-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My new 3D TV won't be delivered for another couple of weeks, but I picked up the 3D "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs", which has a 2D and 3D encode on the disc.

I have a PS3, and when I put the disc on:

See below:

I believe the player detects whether it is able to negotiate a 3D video connection on the HDMI link, so if it is not able to negotiate 3D with the display, then it should only report 2D playback capable.
Precisely, and it detected that:

My two Blu-ray players are a PS3 and a Panasonic, both are 3D. My TV is 2D only.
so when I selected 3D, what happened was this:

Originally Posted by basketb
The player (or possibly the TV) will display an error saying that you need a 3D TV to watch the title.
It was actually the movie's menu that told me this. It was a little pop-up saying I need a 3D TV so it made the 3D version unclickable, leaving the 2D version as the only option.

^ That's what I was basically asking. I wasn't necessarily asking specifically about Disney titles because I didn't know they played any different, but if that studio's 3D discs won't play on 2D displays, that's something I wanted to know. Thanks.
I'm curious about how its implemented on other discs as it's probably case-by-case.

If "Avatar" arrives tomorrow (should've been here Friday) I'll see if the same thing comes up.

EDIT: The "Avatar 3D" disc offers a 3D and 2D option, but the 3D option has an on-screen graphic saying the player doesn't detect a 3D TV so you can only watch in 2D. Both this and the "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" discs have these on-screen notes that are a part of their menu designs, and not player-generated.

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I thought the Blu-ray Association (or whatever it's called) had a rule about every 3D disc had to offer a 2D version as well. Did something change?
I was always under that impression as well, and it was someone here on this board who told me that's not actually the case. I don't remember what thread it was for, though.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 12-12-11 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added more info about the popup warnings that appear when selecting 3D on a 2D TV.
Old 01-03-12, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone around here imported very many 3D discs? Looking through the Amazon UK site, it looks like they have some titles for cheaper prices and others that are not available here. I don't have a region-free player so I will need to do a lot of double-checking before I import anything, but I still think there might be some deals.
Old 01-03-12, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Probably best to read some of the international Blu-ray sites and possibly other forums, since 3D talk is pretty scarce here. However, Blu-ray 3D has like 4 sub-forums on Blu-ray.com alone!

It's just more popular with some boards over others, is all.
Old 01-03-12, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would hold off on buying any 3D TV's in the near future. Apparently a company called "Stream TV" is going to announce "next generation" 3D which will not require glasses. They're claiming that the technology can convert any video content into 3D in real time as it plays, and that it'll be a superior 3D to anything on the market now. They're also saying it will be used in tablets, phones, and even signs. We'll see, but I'm holding off on spending money on anything 3D until I hear more about this.
Old 01-03-12, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I'm waiting for the new tech being developed by Samsung and Real3D (with financial backing from James Cameron). Apparently they're going to license it to other manufacturers so prices should be rather competetive. However, they're first going to release it for computer monitors and then for TV's.
Old 01-03-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone around here imported very many 3D discs? Looking through the Amazon UK site, it looks like they have some titles for cheaper prices and others that are not available here. I don't have a region-free player so I will need to do a lot of double-checking before I import anything, but I still think there might be some deals.
No I haven't bought any 3D imports. Looks like your get to be our guinea pig.

As far as the 3D goes. I'm used to wearing glasses and I have passive 3D so the glasses don't bother me at all.
Old 01-03-12, 09:17 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

A lot of 3D titles are region coded overseas. So be very careful....
Old 01-03-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
A lot of 3D titles are region coded overseas. So be very careful....
Yep, I've noticed that. There are some marked region free at Amazon UK; I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple not marked region free that are, though I wouldn't want to take that chance. But some of the prices were low enough that a region-free player could conceivably pay for itself with some of the savings. I think I'm trying to talk myself into buying a new player or a firmware update for my current one.
Old 02-01-12, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Drive Angry 3D was surprisingly fun, would have been much better with a few drinks though.
Old 02-02-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Just watched The Final Destination last night. The 3D was fantastic. Lots of crap coming at ya.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.