Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-16, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

It's been available through Disney Movie Rewards for awhile now too. Just couldn't pull the trigger to use that many points on a mediocre movie.
Old 07-29-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

That SEPTEMBER STORM Kickstarter is 74% funded with 18 days still to go, and they've added a "Son of Movie Lover" category to replace the sold out "Movie Lover" level. The most recent update also has a Cinemascope left-eye frame scan compared with an existing full-frame screen. Day and night. They're supposed to have clips up later today, I think.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1641907
Old 07-29-16, 12:41 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

I just saw that Kino is going to release it.
Old 07-30-16, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$5 used 3D movies over at Family Video with free shipping

http://slickdeals.net/f/8973827-fami...-free-shipping
Old 07-31-16, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
That SEPTEMBER STORM Kickstarter is 74% funded with 18 days still to go, and they've added a "Son of Movie Lover" category to replace the sold out "Movie Lover" level. The most recent update also has a Cinemascope left-eye frame scan compared with an existing full-frame screen. Day and night. They're supposed to have clips up later today, I think.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1641907
Less than $2500 to go. Pretty amazing the support it has gotten so quickly. I honestly wondered if it would actually reach its goal.
Old 08-01-16, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Less than $2500 to go. Pretty amazing the support it has gotten so quickly. I honestly wondered if it would actually reach its goal.
Yeah, I think there's a resurgence of interest in 3D for home viewing. About two years ago, I decided I wanted to eventually buy a 3D display at just about the time many were ready to abandon and bury the format. Lots of titles were popping up used and I gobbled them up before I even got the display. Now, the used 3D discs go out the door as fast as the used shops can acquire them and the studios seem to have renewed interest in releasing new and catalog titles on the format. My timing was fortuitous. I still get a thrill when I watch a film like "The Adventures of Tin Tin" in 3D—great fun!
Old 08-01-16, 12:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Not exactly the best movie to start with, but at least they are on the right track.

Angry Birds is coming out with a 4K+3D+Blu Ray+UV bundle. It's also the only way you can get the 3D version. Hopefully other movies follow suit.
Hopefully not. I have zero interest in UHD presently and I don't want to be forced to "buy in." Thankfully I can pass on that title without remorse.
Old 08-01-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks to be a Sony thing for the moment. They are also doing it with Ghostbusters.

https://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-...=bluray-012-20
Old 08-01-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Many have thought that 3D TVs would've sold a lot better when they first came out if they'd had a few of the classics available, but that didn't happen for more than a year (when Dial M for Murder first came out.) Admittedly a lot of the recent 3D movies are pretty crappy, and many of them (like The Smurfs) I wouldn't have even bothered with if they hadn't been in 3D. STILL waiting for Friday the 13th Part 3!
Old 08-01-16, 02:52 PM
Banned

It looks to be a Sony thing for the moment. They are also doing it with Ghostbusters.
Another movie I won't miss—what a steaming pile of
Old 08-01-16, 07:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-...=bluray-012-20
The 4K preorder on Amazon doesn't currently list a regular blu-ray with it also, just 4K, UHD, and 3D Blu-ray. Hopefully when it's officially announced with all specs it'll confirm it also includes the regular blu-ray with all features on it too so I can just ignore the 4K disc.
Old 08-01-16, 07:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I thought Sony used one disc for both 2D/3D on a lot of titles.
Old 08-02-16, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

September Storm goal met on Kickstarter!

Man, that was pretty darn fast. A lot quicker than I was expecting. Home 3D isn't as dead as so many want to believe. I think if more stores carried them, the prices dropped on new releases, and people actually knew 3D discs exist, it could sell better.

I wasn't a believer until I got a 3D projector and I love 3D at home now. Especially anything 3D pre-1985.

Watched Miss Sadie Thompson the other night and the 3D depth was fantastic.
Old 08-02-16, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wahlers
The 4K preorder on Amazon doesn't currently list a regular blu-ray with it also, just 4K, UHD, and 3D Blu-ray. Hopefully when it's officially announced with all specs it'll confirm it also includes the regular blu-ray with all features on it too so I can just ignore the 4K disc.
I'm sure they just haven't updated the listing yet. Angry Birds has it all in one case.

I kinda like the idea. It's future proof and has everything in one complete package. It's also a lot of bang for your buck since it's around $25 to $30.

Spoiler:
Old 08-02-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

September Storm goal met on Kickstarter!

Man, that was pretty darn fast. A lot quicker than I was expecting. Home 3D isn't as dead as so many want to believe. I think if more stores carried them, the prices dropped on new releases, and people actually knew 3D discs exist, it could sell better.

I wasn't a believer until I got a 3D projector and I love 3D at home now. Especially anything 3D pre-1985.

Watched Miss Sadie Thompson the other night and the 3D depth was fantastic.

And still over two weeks to go until the SEPTEMBER STORM Kickstarter ends! Hopefully any extra cash can go toward some additional bonus materials on the Blu-Ray (like a commentary from a historian AND the restoration guys so they could go into a lot more detail about these kinds of rescues -- personally I find what they do fascinating) or future salvage jobs of other vintage 3D titles, plenty of which are still out there awaiting rediscovery.

I do agree that those who "called" the end of 3D were extremely short-sighted. It was bound to be a niche thing on home video, but when you consider the fact that nearly every new 'blockbuster' or animated film still comes with the 3D option during theatrical play and (for the most part) on Blu-Ray, it's quite clear that the gimmick is here to stay, unlike in the 50's and 80's. And like 'Alan Smithee' mentioned earlier, I've got quite a few 3D sets that otherwise would've been rentals at best if they only existed in 2D form.

And let's face it, these 3D Archive restorations probably look better than they ever did during most of their original theatrical exhibitions outside of the first few screenings of fresh new prints. When you read about the technical glitches in projecting 3D shows back in the day, it's no wonder so many of them were quickly replaced with 2D prints.

I watched JAWS 3D on the weekend and it squares with my recollection of a theatrical screening in 1983. A few nice pop-out effects, decent depth, even excessive and awkward grain in some of those close-ups. Far from an ideal presentation, then as now, but it's also far from an ideal film! Did Universal do any other 3D shows around that time?

Looking forward to getting MISS SADIE THOMPSON in the next Twilight Time sale.
Old 08-02-16, 12:21 PM

Did Universal do any other 3D shows around that time?
Metalstorm, which had a 3D trailer in front of Jaws and is coming from Shout Factory this year. And back then 3D wasn't an "option", EVERY showing was in 3D except for drive-ins which couldn't show it and got special 2D prints instead. And there was NO extra charge for 3D showings either.

Glad this fundraiser made the goal even without my contribution.

I kinda like the idea. It's future proof and has everything in one complete package. It's also a lot of bang for your buck since it's around $25 to $30.
Doesn't look like it includes the ever-popular standard DVD. And like that, even if I get 4K capability it's worthless to me as long as it's only in 2D.
Old 08-02-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure if this . . .
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
And back then 3D wasn't an "option", EVERY showing was in 3D except for drive-ins which couldn't show it and got special 2D prints instead. And there was NO extra charge for 3D showings either
. . . was prompted by this . . .
And let's face it, these 3D Archive restorations probably look better than they ever did during most of their original theatrical exhibitions outside of the first few screenings of fresh new prints. When you read about the technical glitches in projecting 3D shows back in the day, it's no wonder so many of them were quickly replaced with 2D prints.
. . . so I should probably clarify that I was referring to the technical difficulties of 3D film projection in the 50's often resulting in switches to 2D prints in some theatres, especially as the whole 3D novelty started to wane.

Last edited by Brian T; 08-02-16 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$5 used 3D movies over at Family Video with free shipping

http://slickdeals.net/f/8973827-fami...-free-shipping
And now they just cancelled my whole order. First and last time I'll be using them.
Old 08-03-16, 10:49 AM

. . . so I should probably clarify that I was referring to the technical difficulties of 3D film projection in the 50's often resulting in switches to 2D prints in some theatres, especially as the whole 3D novelty started to wane.
A few of the two-projector titles were shown in 2D, and "Kiss Me Kate" played only in 2D at some theaters and 3D at others as a test (the 3D theaters outgrossed the 2D.) But they NEVER had alternating shows in 2D and 3D, or on separate screens like they do now. Usually you didn't have to make sure you were going to the "right" showing. What annoys me about today is that they'll run 3D movies in 2D even on screens that are equipped for 3D, if they don't think people are going to pay the extra charge for it anymore- after it's been out a few weeks, rather than just drop the upcharge and let people enjoy it in 3D instead of waiting to see it at home.
Old 08-03-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

What annoys me about today is that they'll run 3D movies in 2D even on screens that are equipped for 3D, if they don't think people are going to pay the extra charge for it anymore- after it's been out a few weeks, rather than just drop the upcharge and let people enjoy it in 3D instead of waiting to see it at home.
When I went to see Star Trek Beyond opening weekend at Regal's premium "RPX" theater, they were alternating 2D and 3D showings on the same screen throughout the day. I saw it in 2D, and it looked like crap projected on the silver 3D screen. Black levels were totally washed out, which is a big problem for a space movie.
Old 08-04-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A few of the two-projector titles were shown in 2D, and "Kiss Me Kate" played only in 2D at some theaters and 3D at others as a test (the 3D theaters outgrossed the 2D.) But they NEVER had alternating shows in 2D and 3D, or on separate screens like they do now. Usually you didn't have to make sure you were going to the "right" showing. What annoys me about today is that they'll run 3D movies in 2D even on screens that are equipped for 3D, if they don't think people are going to pay the extra charge for it anymore- after it's been out a few weeks, rather than just drop the upcharge and let people enjoy it in 3D instead of waiting to see it at home.
Caps noted , so apologies again, but I wasn't implying that I thought theaters (or studios) alternated in the 1950's like they do now, or really even gave audiences an option the way they do now. I was only saying that on some 3D titles I've read about, perhaps lesser ones that probably didn't fill theaters to capacity anyway, when alignment of 3D projection became a chore or presumably audiences complained, they sometimes switched to 2D prints for the remainder of a run (I don't know if they did this by just running a left or right print by itself, or if a separate 2D print was shipped out?). I doubt it was either widespread or sanctioned by studios or distributors; probably just a decision made at the local level. Beyond that, I fully agree with your complaints about print switching in a contemporary setting. Sounds like a real cheat. I suspect it may not be as big of an issue up here as we've sat in many a 3D screening, virtually alone, many weeks into a run, but then again, these are "big city" theaters. Don't know if they're pulling that kind of thing out in the suburbs.

Last edited by Brian T; 08-04-16 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-05-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad this fundraiser made the goal even without my contribution.

May want to get your credit card out. Stretch goal to $30K will add the 23 minute 1978 short film Sea Dream. Supposedly it has a ton of pop-outs and sounds like a pretty cool addition to the September Storm release.

Old 08-05-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I managed, barely, to avoid the branded Viewmaster + September Storm 3D reel bonus prize each time they offered it over the past week, but any supplements that will go directly onto the disc make it awfully hard to keep that wallet holstered.

I'd still love for them to add a small stretch goal that might fund the recording and inclusion of a commentary that features a decent historian AS WELL AS the 3D Archive and 3-D Space guys. Outside of occasional behind-the-scenes docs, you don't get to hear Furmanek and Co. discuss the progression of each project at length, and this would be an ideal opportunity that surely wouldn't cost peanuts. Having a historian onboard would offer a nice balance to the technical discussion should it prove a bit dry for some listeners.

By the way, the donor who pushed them over the $25,000 limit got a free set of all the 3D Blu-rays they've produced to date. I'm curious if the $30,000 limit will see a similar reward doled out.
Old 08-05-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, the donor who pushed them over the $25,000 limit got a free set of all the 3D Blu-rays they've produced to date. I'm curious if the $30,000 limit will see a similar reward doled out.
I saw that and wonder if that is a good idea to publicize stuff like that. Won't that keep some people from pledging and trying to hold out until it gets closer to the listed goal?
Old 08-05-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw that and wonder if that is a good idea to publicize stuff like that. Won't that keep some people from pledging and trying to hold out until it gets closer to the listed goal?
That's certainly the first thought that crossed my mind after they hit their goal and announced that someone had won that prize (in an email blast as well as on the Kickstarter page). Might've been wiser to notify the "winner" privately, then reveal them and their loot after the campaign is over. Then again, maybe newer donors might not bother to read through all the previous updates, so who knows. Maybe when they're on the brink of $30,000, they'll get a whole bunch of people trying to be the one that tips it over and they'll end up with a nice surplus to use toward some other supplemental goodies. I pledged a small bonus early on to get the emailed PDF version of the original press book when the campaign ends, but it sure would be nice to have a miniature printed version of that tucked inside the Blu-Ray case.

Last edited by Brian T; 08-05-16 at 12:30 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.