Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-16, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

I got my 135 inch elite screen from Staples.com for under $200. It's totally worth it.
Old 05-10-16, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Hmm, I've also got a 35mm theater projector in storage which would be cool to set up, and I have a 16mm projector I use now and then, so if I could use those with the same screen as a video projector...
Old 05-17-16, 09:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

How is Monster House as a set? how's the 3D?
Old 05-18-16, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty good for an older 3D title
Old 05-22-16, 09:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought "Monster House" looked terrific in 3D. I just picked up a used copy of "Toy Story 2" with the beautiful slipcover. Just a head's up for those who love 3D. Many of these titles are going out-of-print and I put them on my priority list. All the Toy Story films are discontinued on 3D. The individual releases—especially "Toy Story 2" are getting damn--near impossible to find. You can buy the 3D trilogy for like $70 but it only contains the 3D discs.

Last edited by AaronSch; 05-30-16 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-09-16, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like Kung Fu Panda 3 3D is exclusive to Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kung-fu-...OQLNbZh6At0vzQ
Old 06-10-16, 07:31 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
I thought "Monster House" looked terrific in 3D. I just picked up a used copy of "Toy Story 2" with the beautiful slipcover. Just a head's up for those who love 3D. Many of these titles are going out-of-print and I put them on my priority list. All the Toy Story films are discontinued on 3D. The individual releases—especially "Toy Story 2" are getting damn--near impossible to find. You can buy the 3D trilogy for like $70 but it only contains the 3D discs.
Just bought all 3 movies while on vacation in Australia for 14$ each. The sets contain both 2D and 3D versions. A steal!
Old 06-10-16, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts

Shout recently announced the 3D release of METALSTORM: THE DESTRUCTION OF JARED-SYN on 09/13/13. Bonus features TBA.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/sc...n-of-jared-syn
Old 06-15-16, 02:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone else had a chance to watch the 3d version of Jaws 3 on the new blu-ray yet?

I was really seeing an incredibly mixed quality to the 3d. Most of it looked fine to me, a few ghosts here and there. However there were quite a few shots that were just awful. Even the opening Universal logo and several shots before the main credits were so hard to focus on. If I almost crossed my eyes, like looking at an old magic eye picture things would be a little better, but it was terrible.

And before anyone asks, I tried switching the left/right setting on my tv and it was even worse. I even put in a couple of other 3d blu-rays I'd already seen to make sure it wasn't my glasses, tv, or even my eyes going bad. It wasn't.

A good example would be around the 24 minute mark, during the scene with Randy Quaid's brother on the beach with Lea Thompson, there's an underwater insert shot of a crab and some other thing on a coral flower of some sort. No matter how many settings I played with or how much I tried shifting my focus I could not get that image to come together and get into focus at all for me. It just looked like two crabs on two flowers and my eyes could never settle on a point of focus.

Did Universal screw this one up real bad? I've got over 70 3d titles and never had this much of a problem.
Old 06-15-16, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wahlers
Has anyone else had a chance to watch the 3d version of Jaws 3 on the new blu-ray yet?

I was really seeing an incredibly mixed quality to the 3d. Most of it looked fine to me, a few ghosts here and there. However there were quite a few shots that were just awful. Even the opening Universal logo and several shots before the main credits were so hard to focus on. If I almost crossed my eyes, like looking at an old magic eye picture things would be a little better, but it was terrible.

And before anyone asks, I tried switching the left/right setting on my tv and it was even worse. I even put in a couple of other 3d blu-rays I'd already seen to make sure it wasn't my glasses, tv, or even my eyes going bad. It wasn't.

A good example would be around the 24 minute mark, during the scene with Randy Quaid's brother on the beach with Lea Thompson, there's an underwater insert shot of a crab and some other thing on a coral flower of some sort. No matter how many settings I played with or how much I tried shifting my focus I could not get that image to come together and get into focus at all for me. It just looked like two crabs on two flowers and my eyes could never settle on a point of focus.

Did Universal screw this one up real bad? I've got over 70 3d titles and never had this much of a problem.
Yeah, that's probably why it is merely an "extra" on the disc. I picked up all three sequels at Walmart yesterday and hurried home to watch Jaws 3(D). It is indeed the worst 3D film in my library. Not only is it an incredible bore but the 3D effect is atrocious—exactly as you described. In fact, it is the only 3D presentation I've watched at home that started to get uncomfortable to watch—even a slight headache. The more I think about it, I realized I threw away $30. I should have waited till Frys Electronics inevitably offers them for $5 each. I am hoping Jaws 2 isn't a major disappointment as well. But as I remember, it never even approaches the brilliance of Spielberg's original.

It's funny, once the collecting bug bites you, it is hard to fight the desire to add even the worst films to your collection. Buying up Blu-rays on the cheap that are nearly impossible to watch once let alone multiple times makes little to no sense yet I find myself doing it all over again. Kinda like a shark in a feeding frenzy—I need help!

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-15-16 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-15-16, 09:56 AM

i just ordered the 3D Jaws 3 and am now regretting it. really that bad?
Old 06-15-16, 10:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I watched some of it last night.All I can say is that it's not great, but it's cheap. Some parts look pretty bad though, while some others look okay. Kind of inconsistent really.
Old 06-15-16, 10:52 AM

The 3D movies of that era used it very aggressively, and many shots your eyes have to "work" to focus on. I've heard similar complaints about Comin At Ya but that looked great to me. Haven't gotten Jaws 3 yet, none of the stores here had it yesterday.
Old 06-15-16, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i just ordered the 3D Jaws 3 and am now regretting it. really that bad?
Yeah, it's pretty bad. I am a huge 3D fan and I simply couldn't comfortably sit through the film again. I haven't experienced 3D anywhere near this bad with any other title and I own well over 100. The film still comes with the 2D version but if you are buying it for the 3D experience...don't bother. On a scale of 1-10 with Tylenol, I'd rate it a weak 4 at best.
Old 06-15-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The 3D movies of that era used it very aggressively, and many shots your eyes have to "work" to focus on. I've heard similar complaints about Comin At Ya but that looked great to me.
Exactly.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I am a huge 3D fan and I simply couldn't comfortably sit through the film again. I haven't experienced 3D anywhere near this bad with any other title and I own well over 100. The film still comes with the 2D version but if you are buying it for the 3D experience...don't bother. On a scale of 1-10 with Tylenol, I'd rate it a weak 4 at best.
I have seen other people saying how good it is so it may all be personal perspective. A lot of people have trouble with strong 3D. I don't but I know many who do. From all the other descriptions I have read so far, this transfer has strong 3D. Good or bad may be left to personal opinion.

I look forward to getting my copy in and judging for myself.

AaronSch, have you seen Comin' At Ya? If so, what was your opinion of the 3D in that?
Old 06-15-16, 04:44 PM

any other extras beside the 3D? i know Jaws 2 seems to be stacked with some good ones...
Old 06-15-16, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I look forward to getting my copy in and judging for myself...

AaronSch, have you seen Comin' At Ya? If so, what was your opinion of the 3D in that?
I have not seen "Comin' at Ya" but I just happen to be in total agreement with wahlers post. I experienced the same issues with poor focus. It was very inconsistent and the 3D effect was far more distracting as a viewing experience than a benefit. The one thing I did notice is that when you take the glasses off and look at the screen, the double image is very obvious but not so obvious on superior 3D presentations.

The 3D movies of that era used it very aggressively, and many shots your eyes have to "work" to focus on. I've heard similar complaints about Comin At Ya but that looked great to me. Haven't gotten Jaws 3 yet, none of the stores here had it yesterday.
I just watched "Meet the Robinsons" and "House of Wax" in 3D and they were both a total joy to behold. The 3D experience watching "Jaws 3" never approached either film. If watching it is a chore, what's the point? It's supposed to enhance the viewing experience, no? If the 3D experience for all films matched the quality of this disc, 3D would be dead and buried already. Thankfully, that's not the case. I don't know how anyone could say this is an enjoyable 3D experience—not compared to the vast majority of 3D product available today for home viewing.

any other extras beside the 3D? i know Jaws 2 seems to be stacked with some good ones...
I didn't really dive into the special features so I don't even know if the disc contains any outside of the 3D presentation—there aren't any indicated on the back. I'll pop it in again tonight to watch the creepy fish head moving its mouth as it floats in my living room and then I'll watch Jaws 2. Rants aside, I won't get rid of the disc and on the plus side, Universal was very wise to use the poster art. These covers look awesome.

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-15-16 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 12:09 AM

If the 3D experience for all films matched the quality of this disc, 3D would be dead and buried already.
Well, it pretty much was soon after Jaws 3D was released in 1983. Universal followed this up the same summer with Metalstorm (which had a 3D trailer on the front of Jaws), Paramount put out The Man Who Wasn't There (which I couldn't see because it was rated R) and both of those pretty much bombed. Amityville 3D came out that fall and that was pretty much the end (aside from 1986's Starchaser). Meet the Robinsons was the first "new" 3D movie I saw, and I found the 3D quite restrained in comparison but likely because of complaints about being hard for some to watch. House of Wax is considered one of the better 1950s 3D movies, and it tends to not overuse the effect.
Old 06-16-16, 09:31 PM
Banned

....Meet the Robinsons was the first "new" 3D movie I saw, and I found the 3D quite restrained in comparison but likely because of complaints about being hard for some to watch. House of Wax is considered one of the better 1950s 3D movies, and it tends to not overuse the effect.
I don't think the problem with the "Jaws 3" blu-ray disc has anythng to do with "aggressive use" of the 3D effect. I have watched plenty of 3D films in my collection and none are a chore to watch—at least when it comes to the 3D anyway... I think they tossed this in as an extra with no effort made regarding the presentation.
Old 06-17-16, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm gonna put my 2 cents here and agree that the 3D Blu-ray presentation is perfectly fine and that the movie itself is very aggressive in its use of ridiculous, gimmicky 3D effects.

There are moments where you have to make a conscious effort to focus on tip-end of the 3D effect itself but the movie actually has show-stopping moments in the 3D setpieces to allow the audience to do just that.

I don't see Universal's decision to list the 3D version as an extra as an indicator of a half-assed job. This is a title that is part of a series and launched alongside two other movies that are 2D-only. By not releasing it as a 3D title the pricing is consistent, it won't be sold in a different category on store shelves and there will be no consumer confusion re: it not playing in non-3D players, it being a 3D conversion of the original film, etc.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 06-17-16 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-17-16, 07:30 AM
Banned

Well, considering it is absent on the packaging, I'll stand by my assessment. The studios release 3D titles to appeal to a niche audience. The inclusion of 3D as a special feature is of no use to most who will buy the disc. Unless you are a member of these forums or take the time to read the liner notes on the back of the package, you would have no idea that this Blu-ray disc contains a 3D presentation. Universal did not use this as a marketing device and relegated it to the position of a "bonus feature." I believe it is clear why they made this decision. I have viewed many of my 100+ 3D titles and quite a few boasted a more "aggressive" use of 3D than this film and did not require me to constantly shift my focus to "enjoy" the effect. That is just a patently ludicrous notion. For 3D to be enjoyable it shouldn't be a chore. The 2D version is hands-down a better overall viewing experience—and I am a 3D devotee.
Old 06-17-16, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What ISN'T a chore when it comes to sitting through Jaws 3-D? The more you write about your grievances the more obvious it is that you don't like the effects themselves.

Jaws 3-D was the first and only movie directed by a production designer. That right there goes a long way towards describing the extreme approach that was taken with the 3D setpieces.
Old 06-17-16, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

How is Monster House as a set? how's the 3D?
Monster House was the first modern 3D Movie I saw in theaters, remember it well, I'd say it actually looks better on a home theater projector w/ shutter glasses than it did back then on then on the big screen. Excellent depth, like watching a cg stage play.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Screens are a lot cheaper nowadays from what I have seen.

Or you can just do like I did and have your wall framed out and use silver screen paint or something like that. No screens to mess with then.
Projectors are bright enough today that even the DIY Blackout Cloth screens work amazingly well.
Old 06-17-16, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
What ISN'T a chore when it comes to sitting through Jaws 3-D?
You sir, are absolutely right. I stand corrected.
Old 06-22-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

How come Iron Man 3 (3d) doesn't ever drop to a reasonable price? I've had no problems picking up the other Marvel 3d offerings for $19.99, but IM3 always hovers in that $40 range.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.