Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ultraviolet (UV) Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Ultraviolet (UV) Thread

Old 02-07-12, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts
Re: The Ultraviolet (UV) Thread

The included sheet with the code has a flixter logo and a link to flixter. All should be explained there.
Old 02-07-12, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I thought I read a page back that Apple wasn't suporting UV...
Apple isn't supporting UV directly, i.e. no importing into iTunes. You can download the movie to play on your PC using the free PC application Flixter Collections:
http://www.flixstercollections.com/home.html

You can also download the movie from within the Flixter app on your device.

There doesn't seem to be a way to transfer the movie from iOS device to PC currently though.

More info:
http://www.flixster.com/ultraviolet/
http://www.flixster.com/about/ultraviolet/
http://support.ultraviolet.flixster....p?deptID=15266
Old 02-07-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, guys.
Old 02-15-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I opened my copy of Transformers: Dark of the Moon BD 3D+BD+DVD+DC combo pack and was pleasantly surprised to see Paramount included both a digital copy for iTunes and other services alongside the Ultraviolet digital copy. The best part? The code was just on a slip of paper; no need for an extra disc and I now have a proper iTunes version plus the crappy UV version.

Old 02-15-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I opened my copy of Transformers: Dark of the Moon BD 3D+BD+DVD+DC combo pack and was pleasantly surprised to see Paramount included both a digital copy for iTunes and other services alongside the Ultraviolet digital copy.
I didn't even see that, thanks for pointing it out!
Old 02-16-12, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone isn't using their UV copy of Transformers would you mind passing it along?
Old 05-06-12, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I buy only Blu-Rays...but oddly enough not all of the ultraviolet codes I enter feature the high def version of said movie. Mission Impossible 4 was one recently that did, most of the others were standard def. Do you think in the future we'll get 100% HD digital content if we buy the Blu-Ray disc?
Old 05-10-12, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone doing the Vudu's Disc to Digital program?
http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html
It's Ultraviolet compatible. Thinking about trying it with about 10 Blu-rays.
Old 05-10-12, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by namja
Anyone doing the Vudu's Disc to Digital program?
http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html
It's Ultraviolet compatible. Thinking about trying it with about 10 Blu-rays.
Originally Posted by Vudu
Can I use the VUDU service to access UltraViolet™ movies that I purchased at other retailers and/or redeemed on other services?

Yes, you can stream and download any UltraViolet movies using VUDU, at no extra charge to you, regardless of where they were purchased, provided that: 1) you have registered those movies in your UltraViolet account and 2) VUDU has a licensing relationship with the participating studio or distributor.
... and that's why I'm not.
Old 05-10-12, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
... and that's why I'm not.
Well, I'm not trying to watch all my movies on Vudu. I'm just trying to put all my movies on UV. Wondering if Vudu's Disc to Digital is the best way. Or cheapest way. Or the only way?

How else can I put my old DVDs and Blu-rays on UV?
Old 05-10-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have UV movies from Paramount, WB, and Sony. All of those accts are linked with my UV acct. When I log into my UV acct, my collection shows the Paramount and WB titles, but not Sony. Does this happen to anyone else? The only way I can view my Sony titles is if I go through the Sony UV site. I want them all linked together with the other titles.
Old 05-11-12, 09:48 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by namja
Well, I'm not trying to watch all my movies on Vudu. I'm just trying to put all my movies on UV. Wondering if Vudu's Disc to Digital is the best way. Or cheapest way. Or the only way?

How else can I put my old DVDs and Blu-rays on UV?
That's the only way (though, I think some Samsung Blu-ray players now have that option, my sister has one).
Old 05-22-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought I'd be a guinea pig. On May 14, I took 21 Blu-rays to Walmart to convert them to Vudu & UV. Followed all the directions. Paid for them. Got the Blu-rays stamped. And the movies were not showing up on my account. Contacted Vudu Engineering, and after a week, it is finally working.

I thought maybe that mine was an isolated incident, but apparently there are others who experienced something similar (on VUDU Forums). You've been warned.

Hopefully they'll work out the kinks soon.

Last edited by namja; 05-22-12 at 03:58 PM. Reason: problem resolved
Old 05-22-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

I tried to log into my UV account two weeks ago and couldn't. Contacted UV and they said it would take a few days to figure out my password trouble. About ten days now and still waiting.
Old 05-22-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I buy only Blu-Rays...but oddly enough not all of the ultraviolet codes I enter feature the high def version of said movie. Mission Impossible 4 was one recently that did, most of the others were standard def. Do you think in the future we'll get 100% HD digital content if we buy the Blu-Ray disc?
Seems like Warner is being cheap and only giving you the SD versions. When I found out UltraViolet copies also go to your Vudu account, I activated all the ones I have for the hell of it since both my Blu-Ray player and TV have Vudu. Movies from Paramount and Sony gave me HDX, but ever Warner title just gave me crappy SD, even though I had bought the highest-priced 3D Blu-Ray sets. Not like I'll actually watch them that way anyways. I only really use Vudu for their 99-cent rentals.
Old 06-14-12, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Finally sucked it up and activated a bunch of UV codes (HP7B, Green Lantern, Tintin, Pretty Little Liars, Crazy Stupid Love). Setting up the Flixter account followed by the UV account was kind of annoying but not hard. Activating the codes was simple and quick, though it was a little confusing that Tintin required me to go to the Paramount site and shows in my UV account but not in Flixter. Downloading Crazy Stupid to my PC took quite a while--20 minutes maybe--but I see in this thread that that won't actually help me watch the movie on my iOS device. I downloaded the Flixter app but it keeps erroring out when I try to sign in. Will try again later, I suppose.
Old 06-14-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Finally sucked it up and activated a bunch of UV codes (HP7B, Green Lantern, Tintin, Pretty Little Liars, Crazy Stupid Love). Setting up the Flixter account followed by the UV account was kind of annoying but not hard. Activating the codes was simple and quick, though it was a little confusing that Tintin required me to go to the Paramount site and shows in my UV account but not in Flixter. Downloading Crazy Stupid to my PC took quite a while--20 minutes maybe--but I see in this thread that that won't actually help me watch the movie on my iOS device. I downloaded the Flixter app but it keeps erroring out when I try to sign in. Will try again later, I suppose.
The whole thing is a fucking mess.
  • Warner provides you with only SD copies of the film. If you're lucky, they'll provide you with cropped versions as well (i.e. Final Destination 5).
  • If managing content through your computer, Warner makes you go through the shitty Flixster application whereas every other studio makes you go through their own website (i.e. Paramount and Sony).
  • Thankfully, most UV content is accessible through VUDU. However, if you want to watch it in 1080p, you can only do that through your television. Except if it's a Paramount title. Enjoy accessing it through the Paramount Movies application which I only know is on Xbox at the moment.
If UV was more consistent, like say iTunes, I would be more supporting of this service. However, the whole thing is still a clusterfuck. The studios need to buckle down and agree to how the content should be accessed. Jumping through hoops, websites and various applications isn't consumer friendly. It's a pain in the ass and it's no wonder people download movies illegally. To access content you paid for, you have to go through an entire struggle just to begin watching it.

Honestly, I wish more studios supported iTunes; specifically in terms of cloud support. While the digital copies are only in SD, I know where I can access them, how and it's not a pain in the ass to do so. It's too bad Fox and others haven't shown full support yet.
Old 06-14-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

UV is clunky, and I'm sure it'll get better. The only issue I have is all of my movies show up on my UV acct, except Sony's. I have to go through the Sony UV site to see them. I want it set up like it was intended. Where the main UV acct gives you access to every single UV title you've obtained. The master UV acct I have is linked to all the studio UV accts. But Sony stuff won't show up in my master/original UV acct for whatever reason.

Universal's UV is sort of confusing. You get the UV version and then you pick a digital copy version from Vudu, Amazon, Itunes, etc. It'd be nice if the UV showed up on all UV supported sites. I've been choosing Amazon for Universal titles.
Old 06-14-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
UV is clunky, and I'm sure it'll get better. The only issue I have is all of my movies show up on my UV acct, except Sony's. I have to go through the Sony UV site to see them. I want it set up like it was intended. Where the main UV acct gives you access to every single UV title you've obtained. The master UV acct I have is linked to all the studio UV accts. But Sony stuff won't show up in my master/original UV acct for whatever reason.
Funny. My main UV account shows all titles except Paramount's, but Sony's titles show with no problem.
Old 06-14-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

After more failed attempts to sign in on the app, I just got four e-mail pings telling me that my member consents have changed
Old 06-14-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Through Flixster.com, I'm able to watch everything except Paramount titles that have to be watched on Paramount's UV site.
Old 06-16-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

WB is making Combo packs (BR/DVD/DC) available for the upcoming season TV sets like Big Bang Theory and Vampire Dairies, however, the DC are the UV versions

I'm not fond of the UV and much prefer the DC through iTunes but that has to do with the fact that I own iOS devices and is more convenient for me.
Old 06-19-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup. This is a mess. Wish they'd hurry up and make a standalone UV player and apps. I have 21 movies on UV so far (via Vudu). Not planning on buying any more movies for UV until this is resolved.
Old 06-19-12, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
WB is making Combo packs (BR/DVD/DC) available for the upcoming season TV sets like Big Bang Theory and Vampire Dairies, however, the DC are the UV versions
I really like the idea of digital versions of TV shows but they need to improve this service.

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I'm not fond of the UV and much prefer the DC through iTunes but that has to do with the fact that I own iOS devices and is more convenient for me.
Yep, I have an iphone and ipod touch and am not a fan of itunes at all, but it's awesome compared to UV so far.
Old 06-19-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you have a Flixster account, you can get a free movie by liking their facebook page, and also for posting on twitter.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.