Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Re-Animator on Blu-Ray Soon

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Re-Animator on Blu-Ray Soon

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Re-Animator on Blu-Ray Soon

Second Sight (UK) has announced a date of 6/2/14 for their upcoming Re-Animator Blu-Ray. It will be Region B.

Old 03-16-14, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Second Sight (UK) has announced a date of 6/2/14 for their upcoming Re-Animator Blu-Ray. It will be Region B.

I ended up grabbing Capelight's digibook with the Integral Cut (since they were the ones that did the transfer that Second Sight is using). I may grab the Second Sight release as well, depending on the extras they add.
Old 03-21-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More information posted on Second Sight (UK)'s upcoming release of Re-Animator:

The Blu-ray will be a 2 Disc Limited Edition Steelbook and feature both Unrated and Integral versions.

Bonus Features will include - audio commentary with director Stuart Gordon; audio commentary with producer Brian Yuzna, and actors Jeffrey Combs, Robert Sampson, Barbara Crampton and Bruce Abbott; Re-Animator Resurrectus documentary; interviews with Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna, writer Dennis Paoli, composer Richard Band and Fangoria editor Tony Timpone; extended scenes, deleted scene and trailers.
Old 03-21-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys can thank me for this. I heard that the Second Sight release would not have the integral cut so I ponied up the dollars to get the sold out Capelight mediabook. Now that I have separated from my cash, Second Sight could safely announce that they too will have the integral cut.
Old 03-22-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't read up on the integral cut. Can someone fill me in or post a link re: what it's all about.
Old 03-23-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I haven't read up on the integral cut. Can someone fill me in or post a link re: what it's all about.
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=5046980\

Basically, it's the R-Rated cut of the film but is I believe 19-20 minutes longer (with scenes not in the Unrated version of the film).
Old 03-24-14, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, ok. I know that cut. I thought maybe this was some amalgamation of the two.
Old 03-24-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

To be clear, the integral cut is a combination of the r-rated and unrated cuts, it uses the unrated version and adds in any missing scenes from the r-rated. I believe that there are some alternate takes in the r-rated version that can't be seen in the integral cut.
Old 03-25-14, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Which is Gordon's preferred cut?

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 03-26-14 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-26-14, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Which is Gordon's preferred cut
I believe it's the unrated cut. He realized the original version with all the subplots was way too long as he was editing the film. I think he said this in the Anchor Bay documentary.
Old 05-25-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I picked up the Image disc back in '12 because $12.58 just wasn't a whole lot of money to get upset about blowing. And I never believed it was an upconvert (and still don't). It was a better, more stable image than the DVD release. And I thought given the lower budget proposition of the film, probably close to what it could top out at, in terms of PQ without some aggressive digital manipulation. I remember seeing it at the theater back in '85 and I don't recall being knocked out by how slick it looked.

I just saw the caps from the German Capelight edition and good gravy, was I ever wrong.
The Image bd (which I still haven't watched) was an upgrade the original 2 disc AB DVD release (which I still haven't watched) which itself was an upgrade from the original one disc Elite release (which cost me close to $40 back in the day which I watched once). Can't remember if I owned the LD or not...but I think I did.
In any case, I'll be ordering the Second Sight release- and this will, I sincerely hope, be the absolute last time I am tempted to buy this film.
Old 05-27-14, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

DVD Beaver review of the Second Sight Blu Ray

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-r...or_blu-ray.htm
Old 05-27-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For some reason he seems reluctant to declare what a huge upgrade the SS version looks like. Just look at the close up of Crampton. On the Image disc her eyelashes just clump together in one big smudge. On the SS you can make out individual lashes.

As far as double dips on this format go, this is one of the few times there's not only a big improvement, there's also no 'two steps forward, one step back' the way there is with, for instance, the new TG,TB,&TU. This looks like a clear win as far as PQ improvement goes.
Old 05-27-14, 12:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I picked up the Image disc back in '12 .....
The Image bd (which I still haven't watched) was an upgrade the original 2 disc AB DVD release (which I still haven't watched) which itself was an upgrade from the original one disc Elite release (which cost me close to $40 back in the day which I watched once). Can't remember if I owned the LD or not...but I think I did.
In any case, I'll be ordering the Second Sight release- and this will, I sincerely hope, be the absolute last time I am tempted to buy this film.
So is that 5 purchases and only 1 viewing? You sound like me Paul!
Old 05-27-14, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still need to pre-order this.
Old 05-28-14, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
So is that 5 purchases and only 1 viewing? You sound like me Paul!
I don't know about you, but there are some films where I almost don't mind doing it. They mean something on a very personal level and there's a strong sense of satisfaction in knowing I own a state of the art representation of it.

And then there is stuff like Re-Animator.
I mean, it's a good movie (and a great horror movie)- but it's not something that speaks to me on a personal level. I have no real nostalgic stake in it. I don't understand how I could have spent so much on it over the years.
I think the end is finally in sight though...at least with this one.

I still need to pre-order this.
Up until a few days ago, this was £16 on Amazon. Now it's up to £20.
I'd like to wait, but the price on Nosferatu went from £15 the week it streeted to £23 a week later. I'm also not sure if the Integral version is going to be exclusive to the steelbook or if it will follow into the regular case release later.
Old 05-28-14, 06:43 AM

I'm kicking myself for not pre-ordering when it was £16 something. Now I have to wait for it to drop again. Is the steelbook very limited?
Old 05-28-14, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm kicking myself for not pre-ordering when it was £16 something.
I'd missed the old price by a day.

Don't know how limited the steelbook is. I've read that they won't put out the regular case edition until the Steelbooks are gone, so that combined with the prior release of the Capelight which I'm sure a lot of the hardcore fans jumped on, will likely mean the steelbook probably won't sell out immediately.

I'll be ordering it today and just hope the price drops at some point, as happened with both Nosferatu and Aguirre, before 6/2.
Old 05-29-14, 11:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I don't know about you, but there are some films where I almost don't mind doing it. They mean something on a very personal level and there's a strong sense of satisfaction in knowing I own a state of the art representation of it.

And then there is stuff like Re-Animator.
I mean, it's a good movie (and a great horror movie)- but it's not something that speaks to me on a personal level. I have no real nostalgic stake in it. I don't understand how I could have spent so much on it over the years.
I think the end is finally in sight though...at least with this one.
I feel that way about some things, but for me it's more of a collecting obsession. I love the film, and even though I can honestly admit to myself that I'll likely only watch it a few more times in my life and streaming or over-the-air options should be good enough (or the copies I already own!), the collector in me still 'needs' to own every release of my favorite things, at least if they have at least some unique content.
Old 05-29-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
I feel that way about some things, but for me it's more of a collecting obsession....the collector in me still 'needs' to own every release of my favorite things, at least if they have at least some unique content.
It's clear reading your posts across these forums that you and I share a few similar quirks. I was mulling something over in my mind this morning that would be geared exactly to people like us. I know there are a few of us out there, but I don't know if there are enough to make the proposition that I'm thinking of sustainable, let alone profitable.

From years of selling off bits of my collection(s) here and there, I suspect there is. Which is why I'm going to seriously start looking into the nuts and bolts of getting it done over the next few weeks.

I'll start another thread specifically to gauge interest and get some feedback for the idea. I expect a lot of people will resist it, but the target isn't the masses so much as it is people like you and I.
Old 09-21-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

I recently went region free and was thinking about picking Re-animator up but I am a little confused on which one to get.

Second Sight did a two disc release for the UK in a steelbook edition.
Capelight has a two disc release from Germany but it is for both Re-Animator and Bride.

Then there is another German release of a 3 disc version of Bride.

I have read that the German release, picture quality wise, is the better of the two but can;t seem to find if it is missing extras or other goodies that the Second Sight has. I am assuming so since the UK one has two discs but just one movie and the German version has two movies and just two discs. But then there is a 3 disc version of Bride and obviously there must be stuff missing from the two movie release.

Can any super fans here shed some light or clarification? Thanks!
Old 09-21-15, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

The best version of Re-Animator is the 3-disc German mediabook. It contains all the extras and both versions of the film. Same thing with the Bride mediabook. The 2 disc German steelbook release uses the first disc from both of those releases and doesn't contain the alternate versions. The British steelbook has both cuts, all the extras, but lesser picture quality. Arrow is going to be releasing Bride in the future, but there are no details yet.

I haven't looked in awhile but the German mediabook is probably really expensive. If money is no object, I would buy the mediabook of Re-Animator and wait to see how Arrow's release of Bride stands up to the German mediabook release. If money is an issue, you could probably pick up both Steelbooks for less and have everything. I'm not sure if the Integral cut on the German release is better than the UK release.

Last edited by Neil M.; 09-21-15 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-22-15, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Mediabook for the 1st film is out of print and fetches a bit.

The Mediabook for Bride of Re-Animator is still readily available through US sites like Diabolik DVD and through Amazon.DE
Old 09-22-15, 06:04 AM

This oughta help: Re-Animator Blu-ray on DVD Compare
As far as I can tell, the only thing the German version has that the UK doesn't is the isolated score and the TV version of the movie.
Old 09-22-15, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys. What was the original price for the German Mediabook version? I am going to try to track down a copy of it since the picture quality is the best of the bunch.

I never was a big fan of Bride but I may go ahead and pick up a copy of it as well since the price on it hasn't jumped up yet. Though I don't know if I should wait to see what Arrow is going to do with it. So get one or wait on Arrow? I can't seem to find any info on the upcoming Arrow version except that they plan to release it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.