Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do Blu-ray players somehow "fix" DVD layer changes?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Do Blu-ray players somehow "fix" DVD layer changes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Do Blu-ray players somehow "fix" DVD layer changes?

I guess I never really noticed but come to think of it it has been years since I've noticed a layer change

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Mod Note: Please refrain from discussion of illegally copying DVDs. It is not allowed on this forum.
I thought the only limits were the advocacy and how-to's of copying not the mere mention of it?

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I cant remember the last time I watched a DVD.
I still watch them because more than half of my collection is SD and there are too many to ignore, however 99% of the movies from Blockbuster come on Blu-ray.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Are you all exaggerating for attempted humor? Or are your tastes very narrow? For every title on BD there are 50 only on DVD.
Originally Posted by Trevor
I'd much prefer my favorite films to be available in HD, but almost none of them are, and I can't imagine not watching them just because a couple thousand other films are available on HD.
I know we've discussed this before but I'm curious as to the genres or categories that aren't available on Blu. Looking over the release lists there are more SD than BD every week but no where close to 50:1, more like 3:2 in an unscientific observation. For "almost none" of your favorite films to be released on BR I'm guessing they are not your typical mainstream fare.
Old 05-24-11, 06:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I know we've discussed this before but I'm curious as to the genres or categories that aren't available on Blu. Looking over the release lists there are more SD than BD every week but no where close to 50:1, more like 3:2 in an unscientific observation. For "almost none" of your favorite films to be released on BR I'm guessing they are not your typical mainstream fare.
My 50:1 ratio was counting the entire history of film. It was just a guess, the true number may be 100:1 or slightly less than 50:1, I'm not really sure.

I think it's fairly agreed upon that BD is recent-centric, and lots of classics are still awaiting release. Sure, it's getting better every day, but most of my collection isn't available on BD.

Jaws and Ben Hur are my two favorite films, closely followed by dozens of Criterion-y films like Ordet, the Universal monster films, Gamera and Godzilla flicks, the Pink Panther films, etc. So fairly eclectic, but most not on BD.

Dozens of favorites are on BD, and I own 500 or so BDs, and hope for everything to be released on it someday.

Most of my favorite TV shows are from the 60s through 80s, and I believe that none of them are on BD yet.
Old 05-25-11, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Mod Note: Please refrain from discussion of illegally copying DVDs. It is not allowed on this forum.
Whoops. Sorry.
Old 05-25-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would agree then, if so much of your collection is TV then the ratio changes dramtically. I'm confident those other films you mentioned will hit within a year