Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

James Bond Update

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

James Bond Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Re: James Bond Update

Originally Posted by DEC29111
Any time you offer an item for sale and then claim the item is not in stock (when if fact the item is in stock) is "Bait & Switch" unless the advertising for the item lists (or a correction listed/printed the next business day and also posted in store) the number of items for sale (as Best Buy and Target does on many items).
No, it's not.
Old 10-23-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
Is there any news on a re-release of Never Say Never Again, before i buy on evil-Bay?
It will get rereleased at some point. The bond movies always do. It would depend on how bad you want it.
Old 10-23-12, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
I'm so grateful that you're fighting for our right to unilaterally remain in a private business establishment under any circumstances.
The trouble is "Best Buy" (Target, Sears, K-Mart, Wal-Mart and other multi-locations stores) are not a 'Private Establishment' they are 'Corporations', your Private Owned Business such as KOCH INC. or your local 'Tavern' & MOM & POP stores are 'Private Establishment' and have a different set of rules they can work under, and use 'Right To Refuse Due to Domain', but 'Corp.' operations must post consumer rights if they plan on refusing service for all to read, I guess maybe your local "Chick-fil-A" were not sued (and lost) due to refusing to serve during a recent protest. Such as many resturants "NO SHIRT, NO PANTS, NO SHOES, NO SERVICE" policy that you see when you walk in their front door.

Last edited by DEC29111; 10-23-12 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-23-12, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

My local Best Buy stores have been in front of the "DA" more than twice about advertising product and claiming it not in stock (aka: switch & bait) and lost in every case.
And if you use the "refuse service" policy you had better have you policy posted so that all customers can read on entering the store.
Are you sure you don't mean AG?
Old 10-23-12, 07:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

CIA. They handle all blu ray conspiracy cases like this.
Old 10-23-12, 07:31 PM

The trouble is "Best Buy" (Target, Sears, K-Mart, Wal-Mart and other multi-locations stores) are not a 'Private Establishment' they are 'Corporations', your Private Owned Business such as KOCH INC. or your local 'Tavern' & MOM & POP stores are 'Private Establishment' and have a different set of rules they can work under, and use 'Right To Refuse Due to Domain', but 'Corp.' operations must post consumer rights if they plan on refusing service for all to read, I guess maybe your local "Chick-fil-A" were not sued (and lost) due to refusing to serve during a recent protest. Such as many resturants "NO SHIRT, NO PANTS, NO SHOES, NO SERVICE" policy that you see when you walk in their front door.
Wtf do you you think inc. means?
Old 10-23-12, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Is DVD Talk going to do a review on the boxset?
Old 10-23-12, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by John Galt
Are you sure you don't mean AG?
Not in my city/county/state, the "District Attorney" files and handles these type of cases first then it goes to the state level if needed for the 'Attorney General' to handle.
Old 10-23-12, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by John Galt
Wtf do you you think inc. means?
Inc = Incorporation = You can have a corporation that is privately held where stocks can not be sold without board approval such as the biggest oil company that most of you never heard of "KOCH, INC."
Old 10-23-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Comment: More than once of late when I have arrived at a local Best Buy they have not had "sales" item on the floor for sale and only when I use a showroom computer are they able to find stock in the back stock room, I advised the floor manager next time I would contact the local 'DA' about switch and bait sales.
Bait and switch tactics involve not having the sales item instock and trying to get a customer to "switch" to a more expensive alternative. I didn't see the "switch" part of that.
Old 10-23-12, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Bait and switch tactics involve not having the sales item instock and trying to get a customer to "switch" to a more expensive alternative. I didn't see the "switch" part of that.
I guess you missed the posting where the shelf was marked "Sold Out" and I was pointed to the "Bond 50" box set to purchase the movie.
Old 10-24-12, 08:46 AM

Also the store I was at even had a "sold out" sign on the rack where the disc's should of been stocked, yet their own online inventory stated over twenty were in stock.

Inventory in the system and actual inventory aren't the same thing. They could have just received a trailer and not had a chance to put things out, or something was mismarked when it was coming from their DC... happens all the time.

Actual inventory could be totally different than what it says in their system.
Old 10-24-12, 08:59 AM

Inc = Incorporation = You can have a corporation that is privately held where stocks can not be sold without board approval such as the biggest oil company that most of you never heard of "KOCH, INC."
You had just said corporations are not private establishments, then you go and list a corporation as your very first example of a company that is a private establishment.

Nevertheless, Best Buy stores are private property. They can refuse service to anyone. They don't have to have any signs up; if they tell you to leave, you have to leave. Otherwise it's trespassing. It's no different than if someone was sitting in your yard and you told them to get off your property.
Old 10-24-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Inventory in the system and actual inventory aren't the same thing. They could have just received a trailer and not had a chance to put things out, or something was mismarked when it was coming from their DC... happens all the time.

Actual inventory could be totally different than what it says in their system.
That's a poorly managed inventory system then. The whole point of an good inventory system these days is to be as accurate as possible to what is on hand in the store. Otherwise why even count? And for that matter, if the numbers are that far off, how do you prove real shrink vs. bad inventory numbers?

I did testing and support for retail systems for a long time, and at my place nothing showed on hand locally in the store until someone in the store marked the items as received in the system. If this store is doing that before actually checking what was received, that's on them.

Now I understand there might be some time between it being received in the system and it making it out on the floor, but that shouldn't be that long. However, receiving items in the system that are still locked in the trailer or aren't physically in the store, well that's pretty stupid.
Old 10-24-12, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
That's a poorly managed inventory system then. The whole point of an good inventory system these days is to be as accurate as possible to what is on hand in the store. Otherwise why even count? And for that matter, if the numbers are that far off, how do you prove real shrink vs. bad inventory numbers?

I did testing and support for retail systems for a long time, and at my place nothing showed on hand locally in the store until someone in the store marked the items as received in the system. If this store is doing that before actually checking what was received, that's on them.

Now I understand there might be some time between it being received in the system and it making it out on the floor, but that shouldn't be that long. However, receiving items in the system that are still locked in the trailer or aren't physically in the store, well that's pretty stupid.

Not necessarily. If a thousand items go into the store and even at 99% accuracy that is ten items still wrong. And I am pretty sure 99% is pretty dang good. But sorting errors, mislabels happen and should be corrected as they find it.

Chances are they had the item somewhere in the building, but sometimes you never know. I doubt theft would impact those #'s on that drastic of a scale.

Sometimes its just bad communication between the employees. One guy could have put the sign up, and another is in no hurry to put out the stock.
Old 10-24-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo

Have you not been to a Best Buy lately? Their stores, and the whole company really, are horribly mismanaged.
Old 10-24-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Not necessarily. If a thousand items go into the store and even at 99% accuracy that is ten items still wrong. And I am pretty sure 99% is pretty dang good. But sorting errors, mislabels happen and should be corrected as they find it.

Chances are they had the item somewhere in the building, but sometimes you never know. I doubt theft would impact those #'s on that drastic of a scale.

Sometimes its just bad communication between the employees. One guy could have put the sign up, and another is in no hurry to put out the stock.
Well when we're talking about media, you'll never be looking at a thousand of one item unless it's the biggest title ever at a huge store. If it's a title they'll never keep more than 5 copies on hand at any given time, even being off by one is enough to screw up the re-ordering calculations. If they think they have 5 and only have 4, that's 80% accuracy. Not too good.

As I said, if the stuff is already in the building, I don't have a problem with it being listed as in stock. Whether or not the employees can manage to find it and shelve it is a local management issue.

My point is if a store had a procedure that is making it common to have inventory counts in the system be off from what is physically there, that is indeed a poor management of inventory counts.
Old 10-24-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I guess you missed the posting where the shelf was marked "Sold Out" and I was pointed to the "Bond 50" box set to purchase the movie.
In fairness to him, the post where you talk about contacting the DA about bait & switch does not include that information.
Old 10-24-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I do not see a post where they pointed you to the boxset. You only mentioned they had copies of it out on the shelf.
Old 10-24-12, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got them all!

Old 10-24-12, 09:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Couldn't they at least have the lettering the same? Boy, NSNA really is the black sheep.
Old 10-24-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I got them all!

Did you just end up finding a Target with them?
Old 10-24-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I got them all!

Same here. I do wish the exclusives had slip covers to match the others, but only a minor issue for me.
Old 10-24-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Did you just end up finding a Target with them?
Yeah, the one Target that had shelf space for them got them back in stock. No need to panic.
Old 10-25-12, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got them all!
Same here.
After calling maybe 10 Walmarts and a 68 mile round trip, I finally found one that stocked Octopussy. The other 9 or so had Diamonds and Goldeneye, but no Octopussy. And it wasn't just that they were sold out, they didn't carry it. What is up with that? You have three exclusives and you decide a majority of your stores will only carry 2 of them (and the 2 newest Bond films)?
F'n stupid.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.