Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

Old 01-17-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I hope they are just bare bones discs and can be bought cheap, I own all the extras on dvd.
My feelings exactly. However, as TheMovieman says, it is unlikely to happen.
Old 01-17-11, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts
Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

Originally Posted by leem6453
These movies flow alot better together in the theatrical versions.
Not really. I just watched my BD of TTT and remembered something that bugged me when I saw it theatrically. The theatrical cut of TTT is made with the assumption that you watched the extended cut of TTT. Frodo suddenly knowing that Gollum's true name is Smeagol makes no sense given that he didn't learn his name in the theatrical cut of FOTR. that bit of information is given in the extended cut of FOTR.

Also, the theatrcial cut of TTT actually drags quite a bit. Particularly any scene regarding Eomer. He comes across as a complete dick in the theatrical cut and his scenes grind the film to a halt. The extended cut actually fleshes him out a whole lot better and takes him from annoying asshole in boring scenes to intruigingly troubled man in an interesting moral dilemma.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-18-11 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently rewatched The EE of Two Towers, and really, there are a ton of scenes in it that simply too crucial to the movie.

Eomer and Faramir's characters are completely gutted in the theatrical cut, Faramir in particular, and the subplot with Aragorn being saved by a horse is simply "LOLWUT" in the theatrical cut, unlike in the EE where there is setup for it.

I mean, I can take or leave (hehe) the added Ent scenes in the EE, but the rest of it is crucial imo.

Fellowship I believe is neither helped nor harmed by the added material, whether its the theatrical cut or the extended cut, its still a masterpiece and one of the finest films of the decade. Actually, I take that back, the extended is better by virtue of more scenes with Sean Bean.

As for ROTK, im still not too sure. The EE is looooooooooooooooong as hell, but there are some terrific scenes added back in. I think, ROTK is just already so long, you might as well watch the extended version for a fuller experience.
Old 01-18-11, 08:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Labor
I recently rewatched The EE of Two Towers, and really, there are a ton of scenes in it that simply too crucial to the movie.

Eomer and Faramir's characters are completely gutted in the theatrical cut, Faramir in particular, and the subplot with Aragorn being saved by a horse is simply "LOLWUT" in the theatrical cut, unlike in the EE where there is setup for it.

I mean, I can take or leave (hehe) the added Ent scenes in the EE, but the rest of it is crucial imo.

Fellowship I believe is neither helped nor harmed by the added material, whether its the theatrical cut or the extended cut, its still a masterpiece and one of the finest films of the decade. Actually, I take that back, the extended is better by virtue of more scenes with Sean Bean.

As for ROTK, im still not too sure. The EE is looooooooooooooooong as hell, but there are some terrific scenes added back in. I think, ROTK is just already so long, you might as well watch the extended version for a fuller experience.
I'm glad though Jackson actually fimed that scene, because in the book the finale of Helm's Deep was just that ... and the Ent's finished off the fleeing orcs.
Old 01-18-11, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Not really. I just watched my BD of TTT and remembered something that bugged me when I saw it theatrically. The theatrical cut of TTT is made with the assumption that you watched the extended cut of TTT. Frodo suddenly knowing that Gollum's true name is Smeagol makes no sense given that he didn't learn his name in the theatrical cut of FOTR. that bit of information is given in the extended cut of FOTR.

Also, the theatrcial cut of TTT actually drags quite a bit. Particularly any scene regarding Eomer. He comes across as a complete dick in the theatrical cut and his scenes grind the film to a halt. The extended cut actually fleshes him out a whole lot better and takes him from annoying asshole in boring scenes to intruigingly troubled man in an interesting moral dilemam.
Actually, you are correct on that Roc. TTT is a much better film with the extended cut. Having said that, I don't think I'll upgrade since I already bought the theatrical blus, and I already own the extended dvds (which are great btw). Plus, the wife would kill me being that she hates double dipping when we already have the dvds. Her only exceptions are Star Wars and the Halloween series (I'm a Halloween fanatic).
Old 01-18-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I would love a 3rd cut of the movies, one that has pretty much everything that was filmed, edited into one, long single movie with no breaks - sorta like how Tolkien had written the book before it got split up by the publisher. I could see Jackson doing this before or after Hobbit comes out.
Old 01-18-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I would love a 3rd cut of the movies, one that has pretty much everything that was filmed, edited into one, long single movie with no breaks - sorta like how Tolkien had written the book before it got split up by the publisher. I could see Jackson doing this before or after Hobbit comes out.
Except that not everything could be put back in as certain scenes were reshoots. For instance, in the trailers, you see the action sequence when the elves save the Fellowship after they exit Moria. However, Jackson wanted to emphasize Gimli's distrust of Galadriel and thus cut that whole sequence and replaced it with a new sequence of Gimli talking to Frodo about Galadriel. In fact, the extended cut is awkward in this regard as Jackson then tried to re-incorporate the aftermath of the action sequence with the conversation with Gimli. That's why the Hobbits suddenly look really beaten up in the EE while Aragorn is negotiating with Haldir.

Haldir again proves problematic for the TTT portion of the films. Originally, Arwen was to arrive in Helm's Deep to aid Aragorn. The footage was shot and some pics were leaked online. Fans of the book went apeshit so the Helm's Deep sequence was reshot to feature Haldir and a company of elves arriving to assist Rohan.

The only alteration that was already handled (and rather well) was the fight between Aragorn and Sauron. Originally, Sauron was to appear as a rather handsome man and attempt to convince Aragorn to surrender. Aragorn refused and Sauron put on his armour (the same scene in the prologue of FOTR) and proceeded to kick Aragorn's ass until Gollum fell into Mount Doom with the Ring. I'm unsure if the Mouth of Sauron was a reshoot but I do know it's curious that his cadaver is missing after Aragorn beheads him in the EE. As for Sauron himself, although the parlay scene was cut, the actual fight was left in. Weta simply placed a CGI troll over Sauron during the fight. You can actually see a brief glimpse of the change in progress in one of the EE documentaries.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-18-11 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 04:55 PM

^ in regards to the Mouth of Sauron, I don't think that was a reshoot, but I could be wrong, before the movie was actually released theatrically, it was pretty well known that Bruce Spence was the actor for that role, but when the film was then released the scene was no where to be found, but yes I do find it odd that his body is nowhere to be scene after he loses his head by Aragon.
Old 01-18-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Except that not everything could be put back in as certain scenes were reshoots.
Well, I didn't mean literally everything, just the most footage they can while keeping everything as coherent and logical as possible.
Old 01-18-11, 11:53 PM

Its been so long since I watched the theatrical cuts, after looking up the differences, I couldn't believe that this scene was only in the Extended cut:

Old 03-06-11, 10:39 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Rings-Trilogy-.../dp/B0026L7H20

Trailer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m3LI8C9D4PMBMT

Old 03-06-11, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oddly enough...I was already signed up for notification for this when it gets a pre order date

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xXC_6L-rdWk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-06-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Pretty box.

And the trailers look like they're just for the normal versions.
Old 03-06-11, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Pretty box.

And the trailers look like they're just for the normal versions.
Yep, trailer even said "all three theatrical versions..."
Old 03-06-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That trailer embedded above says that, but the one linked to on Amazon's site is clearly the Extended version trailer.
Old 03-06-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Limited Extended Edition. "Limited"?....Really?

I'll bet it's "Limited" to how many they can sell.
Old 03-06-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If that box image is legitimate/official, I think New Line ought to be a little more careful with their hype words. "Limited Extended Edition" is a very confusing contradiction-in-terms. Is it longer? Is it shorter? Is it longer and shorter?
Old 03-06-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I'll bet it's "Limited" to how many they can sell.
Congratulations! You have #020347281/250000000.
Old 03-06-11, 02:57 PM

Let's hope they come up with a decent price ... Don't feel like paying 70-80$ for blurays i already own on dvds.
Old 03-06-11, 02:59 PM
Banned

ah shit...got the wrong one.
Old 03-06-11, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ArghVil
Let's hope they come up with a decent price ... Don't feel like paying 70-80$ for Blu-rays I already own on DVD.
Patience is your friend. If you rush out and buy it Week #1, you'll pay through the nose. The prices on expensive Blu-ray sets have all come down rather quickly, with various Gold Box/Deal-of-the-day specials hitting within 60 days.

My pain threshold on this set is $50.
Old 03-06-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Just noticed this on the Amazon description (emphasis mine):
The Quest Is Over: All 3 Extended Versions in Dazzling 1080p and DTS HD-MA 5.1 Audio. Deluxe Set Includes 9 Special Features DVDs with over 26 Hours of Spellbinding Behind-the-Moviemaking Material Including the Rare Costa Botes Documentaries.
I'm guessing that means that for each film, we get one Blu-ray disc and then discs 3 and 4 from the Extended Edition DVDs, and disc two from the Limited Editions.
Old 03-06-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait.
Old 03-06-11, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joltman
Just noticed this on the Amazon description (emphasis mine):

I'm guessing that means that for each film, we get one Blu-ray disc and then discs 3 and 4 from the Extended Edition DVDs, and disc two from the Limited Editions.
damn...that'd suck.
Old 03-06-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not really interested in these at any kind of high price if all the extras are the same. I bought the theatrical BDs when they were $7.99 at amazon during Black Friday. I have the extendeds on DVD and will keep them as such unless the BDs come down to some unbelievable price. I smell a super-duper boxed set including these plus The Hobbit films down the road. I'll wait for that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.