Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lolita and Barry Lyndon coming in 2011

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lolita and Barry Lyndon coming in 2011

Old 02-16-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Lolita and Barry Lyndon coming in 2011

Originally Posted by Drexl
I don't think that's the intent. This is more for people who haven't bought the titles yet.
It is at least partially the intent if they don't plan on releasing Barry Lyndon and Lolita individually at the same time. If fans are left having to wait on the individual releases of those two films the idea is to try and get at least some die-hard fans to buy this set irregardless of how many of these films they may have individually in High Definition already.
Old 02-17-11, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will wait for Lolita to be released on it's own. Wish they would release the Adrian Lyne remake on Blu too
Old 02-17-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lolita and Barry Lyndon are being released separately on Blu-ray in Germany, for what that's worth.
Old 02-17-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is Warner in the habit of making their Blu Ray's overseas region-free?
Old 02-17-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes.
Old 02-17-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was excited about this for like 2 hours but it's a gimped release. A new "2001" release is practically inevitable and a Criterion release of "Spartacus" is highly likely too. If (when) those releases materialize box set owners will be stuck with the outdated discs because it seems to have some sort of combined/attached book packaging.

Considering the fact that it's incomplete (it doesn't have Kubrick's first three available films) and already doomed to be obsolete I'm going to pass on it. I also can't really complain about the inevitable individual releases of "Barry Lyndon" and "Lolita" considering I still don't own a bunch of other Kubrick films on Blu.
Old 02-17-11, 03:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I was excited about this for like 2 hours but it's a gimped release. A new "2001" release is practically inevitable and a Criterion release of "Spartacus" is highly likely too. If (when) those releases materialize box set owners will be stuck with the outdated discs because it seems to have some sort of combined/attached book packaging.

Considering the fact that it's incomplete (it doesn't have Kubrick's first three available films) and already doomed to be obsolete I'm going to pass on it. I also can't really complain about the inevitable individual releases of "Barry Lyndon" and "Lolita" considering I still don't own a bunch of other Kubrick films on Blu.
we can dream can't we...?
Old 02-17-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
we can dream can't we...?
Yeah it's nothing but a dream considering the fact that Universal is now licensing titles to Criterion in the Blu-ray era (Fear and Loathing), Universal botched their own release (included here) badly, Robert A. Harris is willing to do it right, Criterion is focusing on Kubrick's early films and Criterion already has extensive supplements ready to go.

You're absolutely right, NONE of that would make a Criterion Blu-ray release likely.
Old 02-17-11, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'm hoping it will be a double-bill with Killer's Kiss.
It's definitely lesser Kubrick, but I agree, I still want it.
Old 02-17-11, 08:36 PM

Well I'm glad that I've never upgraded to the Kubrick Blus yet. The only time I've invested in Kubrick on DVD was when an Amazon Seller was selling the latest box for ~$12. I'll defiantly will get this set when it hits $70, without many reservations.
Old 02-17-11, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it's nothing but a dream considering the fact that Universal is now licensing titles to Criterion in the Blu-ray era (Fear and Loathing), Universal botched their own release (included here) badly, Robert A. Harris is willing to do it right, Criterion is focusing on Kubrick's early films and Criterion already has extensive supplements ready to go.

You're absolutely right, NONE of that would make a Criterion Blu-ray release likely.
I really want to share your enthusiasm but I think Universal treasures Spartacus a lot more than Fear & Loathing or all their other Criterionized titles and that really trumps everything else.
Old 02-17-11, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I really want to share your enthusiasm but I think Universal treasures Spartacus a lot more than Fear & Loathing or all their other Criterionized titles and that really trumps everything else.
If you're right, then that makes their shabby treatment of Spartacus all the more irksome.
Old 02-18-11, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I dont think Universal sees it as some sort of crown jewel in their library. I'm pretty sure it means little to them when they can keep crapping out The Fast and the Furious movies that probably outsell Spartacus 10:1. But hey, what do I know? They released a bare-bones Blu-ray scrubbed to oblivion via DNR as a cash-in on the Spartacus tv show and are now apparently unloading unsold copies on Warner Bros for this box set so what do I know about how Universal sees this as a priority title? They very clearly and obviously respect the film and it's fans and don't want someone like Criterion coming along messing things up by fixing their mistakes and making them more money in the process.

On a serious note, Fear and Loathing is Criterion's best-selling title ever so there's little logic behind the theory that Universal "treasures" Spartacus more unless Universal's non-anamorphic bare-bones Spartacus disc was like a runaway sales phenomenon that year I spent in a coma.
Old 02-18-11, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Will Barry Lyndon always be shuffled around from format to format with no special features?
Old 02-18-11, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Digital Bits confirms no new transfer for A Clockwork Orange, so presumably all the previously released films will be the same transfers already released.

Audio for Lolita is DTS HD MA mono, and for Barry Lyndon DTS HD MA 5.1.
Old 02-18-11, 09:27 AM

On a serious note, Fear and Loathing is Criterion's best-selling title ever so there's little logic behind the theory that Universal "treasures" Spartacus more unless Universal's non-anamorphic bare-bones Spartacus disc was like a runaway sales phenomenon that year I spent in a coma.
can we say run on sentence ... (okay, there's one comma, but try saying this three times real quick)
Old 02-18-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
The Digital Bits confirms no new transfer for A Clockwork Orange, so presumably all the previously released films will be the same transfers already released.

Audio for Lolita is DTS HD MA mono, and for Barry Lyndon DTS HD MA 5.1.
That'll save me $25.
Old 02-18-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Will Barry Lyndon always be shuffled around from format to format with no special features?
In 200 years, some Mars colonists will be eagerly opening up their new Holo-chip edition of Barry Lyndon and go, "Shit! Still no special features??!"
Old 02-18-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sheesh, all the hubbub about a new edition of Clockwork and no new transfer? Haven't these guys figured out there are sites like these and Blu Ray owners tend to be a little more up on the whole picture/sound quality thing than an average consumer? Especially when you have an awesome bomb-thrower like Richard Harris sticking it to the lame Home Video departments for mucking up the product. As silly as movie executives seem to be, I think their Home Video departments are staffed by their slow cousins.
Old 02-18-11, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Sheesh, all the hubbub about a new edition of Clockwork and no new transfer? Haven't these guys figured out there are sites like these and Blu Ray owners tend to be a little more up on the whole picture/sound quality thing than an average consumer? Especially when you have an awesome bomb-thrower like Richard Harris sticking it to the lame Home Video departments for mucking up the product. As silly as movie executives seem to be, I think their Home Video departments are staffed by their slow cousins.
I think you mean Robert A Harris.
Old 02-18-11, 09:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to agree. Sets like these? Are for us..the informed. Well mostly. They have to know that we're the ones that are probably on top of this shit.
Old 02-18-11, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I have to agree. Sets like these? Are for us..the informed. Well mostly. They have to know that we're the ones that are probably on top of this shit.
Yet we will see a remastered Spartacus from Universal (or in the ideal world revert back to Criterion - but I gather Universal is rather pigheaded and blase that they even throw the walking abortion bluray to Warner for their box set), despite ALL the negativity they got for their bluray release ??? who actually did their transfer - was it in-house?

at least Sony had the time, money and actual effort in doing a 4K transfer of 'Dr Strangelove' - Universal just comes across as cheap and clueless.

Last edited by Giles; 02-18-11 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-20-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Like others, I have the recent DVD set and the HD DVD singles so I'd be interested in this set.
Old 02-20-11, 11:01 PM

here's the link to the German import of

Barry Lyndon
Old 02-21-11, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I'm sure Criterion would love to put out their own Blu-Ray of Spartacus (and I'd love to snag that hypothetical release), I do think it's unlikely. Universal's Blu-Ray for Fear And Loathing was basically a copy of their DVD release, and didn't include any of the extras from the Criterion release. Spartacus, however, was marketed as a 50th Anniversary Edition and did include some extras (including some from the Criterion DVD), instead of being a straight port of Universal's DVD. That leads me to believe that a rerelease would be unlikely. Do The Right Thing is another example.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.