Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 10:05 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'm sure a Vudu hater could chime in to tell me I'm blind, but on my new LG 55" LED, I'm struggling to find a major difference between HDX and BD transfers. I bought WWZ's UV theatrical cut from Paramount's site. It looks damn good to me. I have a feeling that will be the only way to see the 2D theatrical cut in HD. The 2D combo pack only features it on the DVD and I'm guessing the UV code will be the uncut version.
Which model LG? I've had my eye on the Google version but can't find it anywhere.

I have about 100 VuDu titles. Wish some of my Flixster stuff would move over.
Old 09-16-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Which model LG? I've had my eye on the Google version but can't find it anywhere.

55LN5700

I researched a lot of tv's before settling on this one, which is a 2013 model and is highly rated. It has all the streaming features, and recently added Amazon.
Old 09-16-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I'm sure a Vudu hater could chime in to tell me I'm blind, but on my new LG 55" LED, I'm struggling to find a major difference between HDX and BD transfers.
It really depends on the movie and how clean it looks, for VUDU's image quality. Some of the visually cleaner films look very, very good on VUDU, nearly as good as the Blu-ray. Then there are movies like The Lords Of Salem, in which the VUDU HDX copy looks terrible and far below the BD's PQ.
Old 09-16-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
I think the vast majority of disc buying is being done by 2 groups. One is the high end Criterion, best quality, great extras collector type. The other is the casual 5 dollar bin buyer. There is no market anymore for people to buy movies on discs the way it was just a few years ago.
Agreed. Although there is the collector packaging type. Commonly found at Blu-ray.com are the people who buy and buy because of slipcovers or steelbook packaging although that is truly a tiny fraction of the movie collector. People just don't collect films any more. I don't. If many people are like me it has nothing to do with physical media vs. streaming because I don't stream anything yet. I do however already have hundreds of unwatched titles and no longer wish to add to the pile.
Old 09-16-13, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, there is still a middle ground in the market but it's reserved for specific genres like family movies from Pixar and other kids' properties. The mid-market has disappeared in a lot of the other genres.
Old 09-16-13, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Definitely.

However, BD's very limited appeal doesn't seem to have negatively effected the movie collector as much as I thought it would. Obviously new titles seem to always have a BD release, but there's more catalog titles available than I thought there would be for a format that only represents about 15-20% of sales.

And one thing that is a big advantage is that not long after a title is released, it's usually discounted handsomely. We couldn't say that about DVD in the first 5 years of it's release. I have no troubles waiting for the price to drop before buying (which isn't long) and always managed to stick to my $15 or cheaper rule (outside of Criterion titles).
Some people have talked about BR basically becoming the laserdiscs of the 21st century, and at the rate we're going, that may be an inevitability.

For movies I want to buy, I typically hit eBay. I can snag a sealed copy for usually $10 2 weeks after release.
I try to actually buy movies I really like in an attempt to genuinely support them, but since I also tend to wait until the prices go down, I'm probably not helping much.

My stuff that I got in one as the freebies seems to move to the other.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
No, there is still a middle ground in the market but it's reserved for specific genres like family movies from Pixar and other kids' properties. The mid-market has disappeared in a lot of the other genres.
Sadly, yes. And whatever more rabid fans may think of the average mainstream, it's probably what kept the market afloat.

Outside of must haves on disc, I'm beginning to browse the trading forums for $3-$4 HDX digital copies on other titles. I thought Iron Man 3 was okay, so I will probably just settle for the HDX version of that and save myself $20. I'll likely go that route on many new releases going forward.
Studios must hate having the product devalued that much, but at the end of the day, I wonder how different it is from having it marked down five years after the fact?

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It really depends on the movie and how clean it looks, for VUDU's image quality. Some of the visually cleaner films look very, very good on VUDU, nearly as good as the Blu-ray. Then there are movies like The Lords Of Salem, in which the VUDU HDX copy looks terrible and far below the BD's PQ.
If the future is all going to be in the cloud, that is a problem they're going to have to resolve at some point.
Old 09-16-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

As I've said a billion times, if the future "is all in the cloud", I'll just stop buying movies. $4 for an HDX movie through someone's Ultraviolet code is a decent deal, but remember that by themselves HDX movies usually sell from $15-20. Besides the issue of having movies taken off-line at any time, what do you think will happen to the market if ONE company is in control of ALL movie-buying, which in this case would be Wal-Mart as it owns Vudu? Right now you can buy your discs at a number of different places and shop around for the best price, but if 'digital' takes over I don't see more than one provider surviving in the long run- either that or each one will start getting exclusive deals with some studios, meaning you'll get all your Disney movies from Vudu and all of some other studio's from CinemaNow, and you either pay what their asking price is or do without. Want to bring it to someone else's house, or lend it to someone? Can't do that, as you can only watch your movies on YOUR registered devices. Decide you want to sell a movie or trade for another one? Can't do that! It's amazing how much outcry there was against DIVX, but a lot fewer people seem concerned of the implications of digital taking over- it's all about "I'm so glad I don't have to mess with discs anymore!" (Don't get me wrong, I'm not COMPLETELY against streaming as it's a decent replacement for rentals or cable TV, but that's about it.) I still fell like I "own" a copy of a movie on VHS more than I do anything on Vudu.

I'd still like to see exactly how many movies are "selling" on these services (and at full price, NOT through UltraViolet redemptions or Disc to Digital), and if it's enough to make up for any declines in disc sales. I have a strong feeling if any of this stuff is cutting into disc sales, it's Netflix, which charges a pittance for access to their ever-changing selection of movies (which IS a fantastic deal, but the studios don't like it, and again it doesn't replace my media collection.)
Old 09-16-13, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I'd still like to see exactly how many movies are "selling" on these services (and at full price, NOT through UltraViolet redemptions or Disc to Digital), and if it's enough to make up for any declines in disc sales. I have a strong feeling if any of this stuff is cutting into disc sales, it's Netflix, which charges a pittance for access to their ever-changing selection of movies (which IS a fantastic deal, but the studios don't like it, and again it doesn't replace my media collection.)
The trick is, they studios will not talk actual sales*, they're still talking account activations which is apparently around 15 million. WB said they "pleased" in a recent home media magazine article, but knowing the double speak in this industry, they're a little confused as to why: 1. It hasn't blown up. and 2. Why people aren't buying the streaming copies. - Here's a hint, no one is going to pay more than $5.00 for a film they don't actually own. (The sure as hell aren't going to pay $15 when it's thrown in for free with a BD/DVD combo pack for $15 to $20.)

*This similar to the double speak that is used to hype BD-Live, they're only counting the actual hits on the servers, not actually breaking it down as to who is using the stuff. (Hits on these servers occur whenever a BD is played on a player that is connected to the internet, because every studio does a BD-Live update check, it doesn't matter if you don't actually use BD-Live.)

I'm sure certain entities that are gouging the studios while making the Second Screen Apps are fudging the numbers this way as well...

fitprod
Old 09-16-13, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Sony seems to be scaling back BD-Live, most of their discs used to go to an area with a bunch of trailers and stuff, but now all you get is a screen saying "For information about new releases, please visit Sonypictures.com". Overall that was really clunky, and the first time I tried it, it brought to mind that Onion story about "Sony's stupid piece of shit that doesn't fucking work!"
Old 09-17-13, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Besides the issue of having movies taken off-line at any time, what do you think will happen to the market if ONE company is in control of ALL movie-buying, which in this case would be Wal-Mart as it owns Vudu?
I don't see iTunes or Amazon Instant Video going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, I recently read that Amazon has been matching some of Vudu's prices. So, the UV sites will have competition.

Want to bring it to someone else's house, or lend it to someone? Can't do that, as you can only watch your movies on YOUR registered devices.
Not true with UV. You can share your entire UV collection with up to 5 people and in turn you'll have access to all of the movies in their collections. In addition, you can access the UV sites and play movies on any computer. You don't have to register computers, just sign in.
Old 09-17-13, 09:19 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by E_v_i_l
I don't see iTunes or Amazon Instant Video going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, I recently read that Amazon has been matching some of Vudu's prices. So, the UV sites will have competition.

Not true with UV. You can share your entire UV collection with up to 5 people and in turn you'll have access to all of the movies in their collections. In addition, you can access the UV sites and play movies on any computer. You don't have to register computers, just sign in.
Amazon and iTunes are not UV compatible.
Old 09-17-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As I've said a billion times, if the future "is all in the cloud", I'll just stop buying movies. $4 for an HDX movie through someone's Ultraviolet code is a decent deal, but remember that by themselves HDX movies usually sell from $15-20. Besides the issue of having movies taken off-line at any time, what do you think will happen to the market if ONE company is in control of ALL movie-buying, which in this case would be Wal-Mart as it owns Vudu?
Well, up to a point, but the uglier flipside probably means that it would be easier than ever to bootleg, wouldn't it?O

It's all about "I'm so glad I don't have to mess with discs anymore!" (Don't get me wrong, I'm not COMPLETELY against streaming as it's a decent replacement for rentals or cable TV, but that's about it.) I still fell like I "own" a copy of a movie on VHS more than I do anything on Vudu.
I'm not in principle against it, I understand the convince of it, especially something streaming, but Netflix took down FarScape and the Jeremy Brett Holmes series before I was finished with them. Now, to be fair, it would be different (hopefully) if I own them rather than just streamed them through Netflix, but I'm still wary of not having a physical backup. If the cloud can get stuff that obviously isn't ever getting released on BR or DVD to come out, then I'll pay for the stuff, but I'd rather have that as the exception rather than the rule.

Netflix, which charges a pittance for access to their ever-changing selection of movies (which IS a fantastic deal, but the studios don't like it, and again it doesn't replace my media collection.)
I think that various properties bouncing to various streaming services and Netflix taking stuff down and putting it back up is going to be become pretty commonplace going forward, if studios are going to have to put up with streaming, I think it could get pretty heated as the market splits up.

Originally Posted by fitprod
Here's a hint, no one is going to pay more than $5.00 for a film they don't actually own. (The sure as hell aren't going to pay $15 when it's thrown in for free with a BD/DVD combo pack for $15 to $20.)
Bingo. And I happen to like special features, special editions, etc. That clearly is becoming a thing of the past though. The whole thing is transitory right now, I don't know if anyone is sure where all of the stream stuff is even going to go at this point or how the technology will progress.

iTunes doesn't appear to be compatible with much of anything.
Old 09-17-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm about to eBay 90% of my Blu Ray and DVD collection.

I love entertainment...been collecting for years, but it has truly gotten to a point where I'm not seeing "returns" on my investment. And by that I mean this--I simply don't want what I buy that much anymore.

For me at least, there's just too many options. Netflix, HBO, Red Box, Cinema, TV Shows, Stuff on my DVR, Playstation Store--it's hard for me to sit back and say I want to rewatch a movie I've seen 5 times already on my shelf, when I can spend that two hours watching something new. Meanwhile, I'm spending $10, $20, $30 on a Blu Ray or a Steelbook, and it never gets opened.

So I'm out. Time to move on, I guess.
Old 09-17-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As I've said a billion times, if the future "is all in the cloud", I'll just stop buying movies. $4 for an HDX movie through someone's Ultraviolet code is a decent deal, but remember that by themselves HDX movies usually sell from $15-20.

The digital music industry is quite informative on this issue, as it is much older and has already hit maturity. Streaming music sites have started seriously impacting digital sales among the very youngest consumers and music labels are foreseeing a time when no wants to pay for a digital download at full price when they can stream it for much cheaper.

Streaming is going to kill the digital sales model for both music and movies.
And they never will be compatible with UV, it goes against their core business models and attempts to build their own ecosystem of products. UV was purposely designed by Hollywood as a hedge against the power of Apple's platform. They saw the music labels get taken to the cleaners by Apple and won't let that happen to them.
Old 09-17-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Owning movies, for the average guy, is no longer a priority. I think people realized that they are buying movies that they watch once or maybe twice and then they just sit on the shelf. Couple that with constant resales of movies they already own and all the streaming stuff available, owning for 15 or 20 dollars is not a good value.

I remember going crazy buying Star Trek TOS on VHS. I never even watched all the tapes I got. I would only buy something that is really niche like docs or the like. I used to buy 10 or 12 DVDs a month. Now I bought 3 blus in the last 2 years. I watch netflix, youtube, amazon or get a disk from the library.

Blu will never get to the numbers that DVD had. That was a perfect storm of quality, cost, availablity and desire.
Old 09-17-13, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Owning movies is getting hit by a double whammy: 1) owners realizing how underutilized their collection is and 2) competition from streaming and other forms of digital entertainment that eats up people available time to watch their collection.

I look at my collection now and think, "wow, what a waste of money". I don't regret buying the Criterion movies though because those I do watch more than the others and I love to watch the special features on them. For for the others, I just see number of unwatched movies growing as I get sucked in by the Xmas sales, and with price erosion being what it is, it's kinda dumb to buy movies that you're not going to watch anytime soon.
Old 09-17-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't be the only one to get laid off several times between 07 and 09. That will have a dramatic effect on your entertainment spending. I still think streaming is pretty minor at this point in time but it certainly will continue to have a greater impact. I think the greatest deterrent is the $25 unopened disc sitting on the shelf now worth 25 cents
Old 09-17-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The trick is, they studios will not talk actual sales*, they're still talking account activations which is apparently around 15 million. WB said they "pleased" in a recent home media magazine article, but knowing the double speak in this industry, they're a little confused as to why: 1. It hasn't blown up. and 2. Why people aren't buying the streaming copies. - Here's a hint, no one is going to pay more than $5.00 for a film they don't actually own. (The sure as hell aren't going to pay $15 when it's thrown in for free with a BD/DVD combo pack for $15 to $20.)

*This similar to the double speak that is used to hype BD-Live, they're only counting the actual hits on the servers, not actually breaking it down as to who is using the stuff. (Hits on these servers occur whenever a BD is played on a player that is connected to the internet, because every studio does a BD-Live update check, it doesn't matter if you don't actually use BD-Live.)

I'm sure certain entities that are gouging the studios while making the Second Screen Apps are fudging the numbers this way as well...

fitprod

I'm at a loss as to what UV is ultimately for. Is it just a prop for sagging OD sales? If so, then it's not doing a very good job. The decline is less than what would be expected given the YoY box office power, but just slightly so. OD as a whole is down about 6 percent this year, under flat box office power conditions. "Normally" it would be perhaps down 8 percent.

I guess their end game is to shift the window advantage to digital and hope that the consumers follows. A 2-3 week advantage isn't much but if they made it 4 weeks then you'll get people who will pay the $15 to not have to wait for the better value OD package. Also at some point they will offer special features to match the OD versions and remember the Common File Format is expected to come out very soon and that will probably be how the special features, subs and alternate audio tracks will be obtained. If that's the case, then digital ownership will seem much more attractive than it does now.
Old 09-17-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I think the greatest deterrent is the $25 unopened disc sitting on the shelf now worth 25 cents
Exactly.
Old 09-17-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What's UV stand for?

What if my power goes out? What if my house burns down? You can what if anything. I have a 50 mbps plan specifically for my streaming purposes. So far, I've had 100% success. The titles in my Vudu account are all UV based. None should ever get removed per the UV standards. So far, so good. I like the flexibility. As long as I'm blazing at 50 mbps, I'll stream. But if I need to, I can download any of my UV titles for off-line use.

UV would actually come in handy if your house did burn to the ground. Your movies are still safe in the cloud, while your discs are toast.

See! Get UV before your house burns down!
Old 09-17-13, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

UV
Old 09-17-13, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by bruceames
...remember the Common File Format is expected to come out very soon and that will probably be how the special features, subs and alternate audio tracks will be obtained. If that's the case, then digital ownership will seem much more attractive than it does now.
Well I have to say, good luck with convincing people that digital ownerships is actually ownership, and not a bloated rental that can be pulled when the studio wants to...

That, and when one of their host server companies goes bust and the movie vanishes, it will be gone, or held for ransom. As far as I know, no studio actually hosts their digital archives, except maybe Sony. I don't even think Warner does. Technicolor and Deluxe have been doing much of the archiving.

fitprod
Old 09-17-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I pulled this from the UV FAQ:

Will my UltraViolet rights expire?
No, your rights to your UltraViolet Collection of movies and TV shows do not expire. Content providers may limit the time you have to redeem an UltraViolet code that comes with a Blu-ray Disc or DVD, but after you have redeemed your rights to the movie or TV show, your rights do not expire.
Old 09-17-13, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I have to say, good luck with convincing people that digital ownerships is actually ownership, and not a bloated rental that can be pulled when the studio wants to...

That, and when one of their host server companies goes bust and the movie vanishes, it will be gone, or held for ransom. As far as I know, no studio actually hosts their digital archives, except maybe Sony. I don't even think Warner does. Technicolor and Deluxe have been doing much of the archiving.

fitprod
Studios legally cannot "unown" your movie, as UV is a consortium of many studios and providers. A provider, such as VUDU, can go out of business, but you can just get it from another one. Studios potentially pulling the plug on your UV movies is a myth spread by the skeptics.

And when the CFF format comes along, you won't have to depend on an internet connection to enjoy your collection.

That said, it remains to be seen how much traction digital ownership will obtain. I'm really not that optimistic either, especially if Disney keeps playing Lone Ranger, so one can just hope for the best.

Last edited by bruceames; 09-17-13 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-17-13, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
Studios legally cannot "unown" your movie, as UV is a consortium of many studios and providers. A provider, such as VUDU, can go out of business, but you can just get it from another one. Studios potentially pulling the plug on your UV movies is a myth spread by the skeptics.
I pulled this from the UV FAQ:
Will my UltraViolet rights expire?
No, your rights to your UltraViolet Collection of movies and TV shows do not expire. Content providers may limit the time you have to redeem an UltraViolet code that comes with a Blu-ray Disc or DVD, but after you have redeemed your rights to the movie or TV show, your rights do not expire.
Yeah, and click through the "More Information" links to view the fine print:

http://www.uvvu.com/uv-offer-details.php

When an Account Member adds an UltraViolet title to the Account's Collection, the record of this title does not expire and will remain in the Collection unless an Account Member deletes it, or if the Account is terminated by a Member. Registering a title in the Account's Collection enables Account Members to make use of UltraViolet Rights, which include: (a) certain rights and capabilities which Account Members will always receive at no extra charge beyond original purchase price for the related content (see below);

UltraViolet Rights include streaming from the selling UltraViolet Retailer, at no extra charge above the original content purchase price, for at least one year after purchase. [...] Streaming of a given title from the selling UltraViolet Retailer more than a year after its purchase, or at any time via Streaming Services other than the selling UltraViolet Retailer, may incur fees
And, of course, there's this doozy that basically gets them out of anything:

Streaming availability may also be subject to restrictions that exist for certain periods of time, for certain titles.
Do you guys maybe have some other explanation for those terms? The only way I can interpret it is that the only thing you're guaranteed with UV is that you can stream it from where you bought it for one year for free. Beyond that, there might be a fee. And also, due to nebulous "restrictions" any title might be unavailable for streaming for any nebulous "period of time".

Obviously, no UV provider has yet charged a fee like that, but there's nothing in the terms that prevents that from happening in the future, once your initial one year term is past. I think that those of you who bought into UV thinking you owned something "forever" may be in for a rude awakening someday.

Last edited by TheBang; 09-17-13 at 08:40 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.