Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by d2cheer
These titles are already available on DVD and sold very well; so what are we really learning here? A real test is who is buying them again on blu... I wonder what that percentage is.
Well...

I bought Lion King on BR (3D version).

Lion King outsold Fast Five on BR by about 28%. FF was a brand new Title, LK has been out on DVD for a long time.

My guess from looking at different websites, FF sold about 900k> on BR.

So, that would mean LK sold about 1.5 million (just updated number from another website) copies on BR. That means LK on BR sold about the same or little more than the New Transformer movie - impressive.

I also bought "Star Wars Complete Saga" on BR.

SW-CS is getting close to selling 1 million copies and has made $76,205,349 so far. If you add in the other two versions of SW, the number look even more impressive for a title that already was on DVD and sold very well.

The more catalog titles, that people want, that come out on BR, the more BR will gain on DVD.

It will be interesting to see what happens after the Holiday Season, BR % should go up once again. What will happen when the % for new action titles hit into the 70-80% for BR? This won't be for another year or so, DVD new title sells is dropping like a rock.

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 10-18-11 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
LK has been out of print on DVD for a long time.
Fixed
Old 10-18-11, 09:15 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
What will happen when the % for new action titles hit into the 70-80% for BR? This won't be for another year or so, DVD new title sells is dropping like a rock.
70-80% is easy when studios no longer make DVDs available and/or force consumers to buy the BD Combo pack. It's already happening with some studios. %'s really mean nothing when you can't buy the DVD.....at all.
Old 10-18-11, 11:55 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

‘Lion King,’ ‘Fast Five’ Propel Blu-ray to Record-breaking Week
18 Oct, 2011By: John Latchem

Blu-ray Disc enjoyed its best week ever compared with DVD the week ended Oct. 8, kicking off the fourth quarter by contributing more than 40% of total disc revenue.

Based on figures supplied by studios and other sources, Home Media Research estimates Blu-ray revenue of $73.9 million for the week, the highest week for Blu-ray since Christmas 2010 and the largest week for Blu-ray outside Black Friday or the Christmas shopping season. In terms of units sold, 28% of all discs sold for the week were Blu-ray, also a record.

Top titles driving the week were Disney’s The Lion King: Diamond Edition, which according to estimates sold more than 1.5 million copies, all of which are Blu-ray/DVD combo packs, adding significantly to the Blu-ray revenue number. Universal’s Fast Five contributed estimated sales of more than 1 million Blu-ray units as well.

The week ended Oct. 8 was up 57.7% in Blu-ray revenue from the same week the previous year, which included the Blu-ray release of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast: Diamond Edition. Blu-ray sales helped offset a 9.4% decline in DVD-only revenue and brought estimated total disc revenue to $183.8 million, up 9.31% over the same week the previous year.

The 40% revenue number for Blu-ray for the week surpasses the 35% Blu-ray market share for the week ended Sept. 17, 2011 — when “Star Wars” debuted on Blu-ray. The record may be surpassed again by the week ending Oct. 22, with the debut of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Disney is offering only Blu-ray combo packs of the fourth “Pirates” film until mid-November, which, combined with second-week sales of Green Lantern, should add significant totals to the Blu-ray market share.

Blu-ray has increased its market share 35% in 2011 compared with 2010. Blu-ray revenue market share has grown to 21.1% so far in 2011, from 15.7% at the same point last year.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu...ing-week-25386
Old 10-19-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
70-80% is easy when studios no longer make DVDs available and/or force consumers to buy the BD Combo pack. It's already happening with some studios. %'s really mean nothing when you can't buy the DVD.....at all.
I will say that the "DVD market" has had tons of titles NOT available on BR over the past 4/5 years.

Mainly:
TV Programs (huge amount of shows only on DVD)
Old Catalog Titles (Starting to see some of the in demand Catalogs coming out in BR)

In realizing this fact, it makes me accept that Star Wars/Lion King only on BR. This has evened the playing field a ton, will I guess it has moved the advantage into BRs favor.

I still think it stinks that PotC new movie is on BR (with combo pack) only. This is just a pure money grab by Disney. I would not buy it on DVD (I picked up the 3D BR version), but others should have that choice at this time in the market. In a year or two the market may not give them a choice.
Old 10-25-11, 04:50 PM

Week ending October 15:

Old 10-31-11, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I just saw this little article at work and thought some of you might find it interesting.

US home video spending up for 1st time since 2008
By RYAN NAKASHIMA
AP Business Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - In a welcome relief for Hollywood, Americans are finally spending more on home videos.

For the three months through September, spending rose nearly 5 percent from a year earlier to $3.9 billion. The figures from an industry organization, The Digital Entertainment Group, show the first increase since the recession took hold in early 2008.

While people bought fewer DVDs and made fewer trips to brick-and-mortar rental video stores, they more than made up for it by buying more Blu-ray discs, renting more from kiosks like Redbox and spending more on mail-order DVDs and streaming videos from Netflix.

Buying digital copies of movies and ordering them from set-top box video-on-demand services also rose. For the year, though, spending is still down about 2 percent at $12.3 billion.
Old 10-31-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I am watching approx. one new blu-ray a week(have enough stockpiled to last thru next yr) and been buying dvds about the same if not more,than the past. DVDs- mostly tv shows with hardly any movie purchases.
Old 10-31-11, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today's report from the D.E.G. claims that Blu-ray is up 58% from this time last year, while DVDs continue to plummet: down 4% to $1.74B.

From Deadline.com:

The industry’s Digital Entertainment Group credits a 58% gain in spending on Blu-ray discs vs last year’s 3Q and a 12.8% pickup in electronic sell-though (to $135.9M) for much of the gain in 3Q consumer spending, to $3.93B. The 4.9% improvement in total sales was “a major milestone,” DEG says, because “this is the first time spending has increased since the first quarter of 2008, when the economic downturn began.” This also was the first time DEG broke out spending numbers for subscription streaming services such as Netflix, formerly folded into the tally for rentals: They accounted for $255.4M in the quarter and $463.6M for the first half of 2011. But the results show that DVD sales continue to plummet: The huge gains for Blu-ray weren’t sufficient to stop the decline packaged goods sales, down 4% to $1.74B. Over in the rentals, subscription services for discs — again, like Netflix — led the pack (+4.9% to $607.3M). But video-on-demand came in second (+4.9% to $419.9M), followed by kiosks (+23.3% to $414M) and bricks-and-mortar stores (-28.6% to $353M).

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/home...-9-bump-in-3q/
Old 10-31-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Personally I'm hoping the decline of DVD leads to studios dipping deeper into their vaults for classic TV shows that can be dumped on DVD for little cost (and I don't mean burn on demand stuff, I want actual pressed discs).
Old 10-31-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

^^^But the studios already could have dumped their TV shows on DVD for almost nothing. Such as NYPD Blue for example. The decline of DVD will simply mean your TV shows will still be in some idiot's closet, but hopefully will surface on Blu-ray at some point.
Old 11-01-11, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
^^^But the studios already could have dumped their TV shows on DVD for almost nothing. Such as NYPD Blue for example. The decline of DVD will simply mean your TV shows will still be in some idiot's closet, but hopefully will surface on Blu-ray at some point.
A studio won't put it out in DVD for little cost but they will go through the expense of releasing it on blu? Keep dreaming. This is all about revenue... DVD revenue still makes the studios a lot of money. When that stops, it is game over for basically everyone. Blu ray revenue will not ever make it up for them. So those of you that want to see DVD's die in favor of blu, when one goes for good the other is on its way out as well.
Old 11-01-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Personally I'm hoping the decline of DVD leads to studios dipping deeper into their vaults for classic TV shows that can be dumped on DVD for little cost (and I don't mean burn on demand stuff, I want actual pressed discs).
Unfortunately, I think this option is becoming more and more appealing to studios that want to cheaply push out catalog titles.
Old 11-01-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer
A studio won't put it out in DVD for little cost but they will go through the expense of releasing it on blu? Keep dreaming. This is all about revenue... DVD revenue still makes the studios a lot of money. When that stops, it is game over for basically everyone. Blu ray revenue will not ever make it up for them. So those of you that want to see DVD's die in favor of blu, when one goes for good the other is on its way out as well.
When the top 10 sales on BR for the week of Oct 16th is over $46 million, I do not think Hollywierd is NOT going to give that up.
-When you avg out the year, BR is going to bring in over $2 billion their business.

That weekly number will only increase over the next few years, then it will even out. The studios will do whatever they can to make a buck, BR is and will continue to be apart of the "Movie Cash Flow":

1. Theater tickets
2. Movie tie-ins
3. BR/DVD
4. VOD
5. NetFlix and other streaming
6. Network TV
7. Other things I am thinking about

Most movies make a good chunk of $$$ when you consider the list above and the World Wide Market.

BR is not going anywhere and I do not believe another format is coming that will takes it's place.
Old 11-01-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

The biggest hurdle for this happening is the decline of retail shelf space.

Borders is dead. Circuit City is dead. Suncoast is dead(?). Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy have all been shrinking the size of their DVD and Blu-ray sections.

Burn on demand is (unfortunately) the way we'll be getting most catalog titles on DVD in the not too distant future. If at all.
Old 11-01-11, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

At the Blu-ray panel at Comic-Con, the Warner Home Video rep mentioned that they now have more catalog titles available via MOD (something like over 2500) than they have released at retail in total since the inception of DVD.
Old 11-01-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The biggest hurdle for this happening is the decline of retail shelf space.

Borders is dead. Circuit City is dead. Suncoast is dead(?). Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy have all been shrinking the size of their DVD and Blu-ray sections.

Burn on demand is (unfortunately) the way we'll be getting most catalog titles on DVD in the not too distant future. If at all.
This is all very true. Retail space, manufacturing, warehousing and transporting product all cost retailers and studios lots of money.

If the studios can get everyone to download and stream in the near future, this will be the most efficient way to deliver movies.

I don't like that idea but from a cold economic standpoint, that will be the future for home entertainment.
Old 11-01-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

That is not going to happen, content like old television is going to be streaming-only in the future. The market for buying television sets is just not very big anymore, as consumers wised up they didn't need to own every season of the Cosby Show or Cheers.
Old 11-02-11, 12:51 AM

Week ending October 22:

Old 11-02-11, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Waiting Gizmo to proclaim gloom-n-doom in 3...2...oooh a penny...
Old 11-02-11, 09:55 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Waiting Gizmo to proclaim gloom-n-doom in 3...2...oooh a penny...
Waiting for you to contribute anything to this thread in 3..2...1...

And such a nice week. Studios must be thrilled they killed off many DVD SKU's and forced Blu-ray only SKUs on consumers. It's showing by the lack of actual revenue each week. "Blu-ray" may be up, but they are losing millions by not offering the DVD. Smart idea studios. You wonder why people are no longer buying.

Last edited by Gizmo; 11-02-11 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-02-11, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Up 9.47% on the same week last year - doesn't seem like such a bad tactic this week..
Old 11-02-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Waiting for you to contribute anything to this thread in 3..2...1...
Serious business!
Old 11-02-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice link with some great info on the "Home Entertainment" Market...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/31/bu...spot.html?_r=2

"On Monday, the Digital Entertainment Group, which monitors consumer spending for home entertainment in the United States, is expected to report a 5 percent increase in industrywide revenue for the third quarter, to roughly $3.9 billion from about $3.7 billion a year earlier. It is the first quarterly uptick since the beginning of 2008."

"In part, the increase reflects a surge in Blu-ray sales, which are expected to reach $1.23 billion for the first three quarters, up from about $1 billion for the same period a year earlier. That puts them on a par with video store rentals, which have been falling, and on-demand revenue, which has grown more slowly."

"...15 percent decline in regular DVD sales, to about $1.3 billion from $1.55 billion."

-Hate it when the Studios only give one format (BR/w a DVD included) on the Release date of the Title, pure greed. It is their choice, does not hurt me, I only buy BR. $19.99 for a BR/DVD combo is not a bad deal though.

-BR has a much bigger profit margin

-BR is making big strides, it already is the king of "New Releases" (action titles, animated, Sci-Fi...)

-DVD is hanging in there, it has life left in it, the question is how much?
Old 11-02-11, 03:19 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Up 9.47% on the same week last year - doesn't seem like such a bad tactic this week..
Did you check to see what was released last year this week?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.