Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 10-19-14, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts
re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Exactly. I was referring to the 100 (or so) seminal titles with the ability to drive people to the stores to buy or to upgrade. Things like Spielberg, Blade Runner, BTTF, Star Wars, Wizard of Oz, etc. have all been released. There are no such titles remaining in the studios' 'cupboard'.

The poster who cited he could "name '50....without even breaking a sweat" was referring to small batch, niche titles with little chance to move the sales needle.
The "must-have" catalogue titles have already been released on BD with relatively little fan-fare. The format is 8 years old and sales have flatlined leaving the format with only new release titles to keep the volume up.

I sometimes wonder if Laserdisc was actually profitable? It held on for a long time and appealed to mostly cinephiles.

I'm guessing Laserdisc was a product of a different financial era. The current corporate mentality is if you're not selling more and more after each fiscal quarter, you're losing money.

DVD sales set such an incredibly high bar that any following format would look like a failure in comparison.

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Since this thread is primarily focusing on the underwhelming sales numbers for Blu-ray, I was drawing the conclusion that 'we few' who read and post on forums such as this should not conflate our proclivities to those of the larger disc-buying public. Such passions have little impact on overall sales, and will not move studios to reach deeper into their vaults and/or invest in new transfers or supplemental features.
It's true, there is a huge population that enjoy watching movies but have no interest in cinema or how movies are made and generally don't give a crap about cinematic artistry.

I have many friends that, when I look at their DVD collection, all I see is every major new release from 2002-2008. That's it.

It's kind of like comparing the fact that I drive a car two hours a day, every day but I don't visit "gear-head" websites or subscribe to Car & Driver magazine. The car is important to my daily life but I'm not an enthusiast who can rattle-off all the technical specs and care that deeply about the history of the automobile.
Old 10-19-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Movies and shows aimed at children are showing few signs of decline. It appears that families are still willing to buy the Blu-ray or DVD for their children over streaming, since I don't think many parents want their 4-year-old messing with the streaming menus on their TVs or Rokus.
Old 10-19-14, 03:21 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Movies and shows aimed at children are showing few signs of decline. It appears that families are still willing to buy the Blu-ray or DVD for their children over streaming, since I don't think many parents want their 4-year-old messing with the streaming menus on their TVs or Rokus.
Netflix and such have special 'kid' menu's that make it easy to let them do what they want.
Old 10-19-14, 03:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Too bad their selections are lousy.
Old 10-19-14, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

I'm on this forum and I have a huge collection. I bought Braveheart and Gladiator on BD. Shift forward a few years and I still haven't bought Star Wars and Raiders. I love the movies, and I'd much rather watch them on BD, but the sets aren't supercheap and I figure they will be a better deal someday. I just don't have the same passion for building my physical collection. I've bought a few digital releases, especially TV, but big stuff like Captain America I still get on BD. That's the only new theatrical I recall buying this year, though.

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Netflix and such have special 'kid' menu's that make it easy to let them do what they want.
Including watching the latest new release?
Old 10-19-14, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Well, then I guess where I disagree is the notion that those 100 titles you are thinking of represent things that can endlessly drive people to upgrade inter-format or to a new format altogether.
I didn't mean that at all. I'd say people are about done upgrading. Whatever the next format turns out to be, it will get a mere fraction of the Blu-ray's share....which was itself a fraction of the DVD's share.
Old 10-21-14, 02:50 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

October 11:

Old 10-21-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero
October 11:

Geez, not even new releases seem to be helping these numbers.
Old 10-21-14, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Blu-ray is pretty much doomed to go negative this year. The remaining new releases do not compare favorably with last year and the format is already down 3 percent. The only thing that can save it from negative growth is Black Friday week and the two weeks leading up to Christmas. If those weeks can get one more year of growth then it could be enough, since those weeks are huge and can really influence the overall YoY figures. I'm not too optimistic though, but then again I wasn't optimistic about those weeks last year and they did much better than I expected.
Old 10-22-14, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
My 7 y.o. has been using streaming for a few years now. It's easier for him to use than discs and it's more intuitive for him to use on the iPad also.

Streaming is the future folks. Physical media is on the decline and if it sticks around, it will become what laserdisc became - a niche format for boutique labels like Criterion, Shout/Scream, etc: basically for scifi/horror and other cult/genre titles.
Old 10-22-14, 09:21 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Streaming is the future folks. Physical media is on the decline and if it sticks around, it will become what laserdisc became - a niche format for boutique labels like Criterion, Shout/Scream, etc: basically for scifi/horror and other cult/genre titles.
It already has. People are already spending $30 for a crappy 80s films from Shout Factory just because there is nothing else to buy.
Old 10-22-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

My 7 y.o. has been using streaming for a few years now. It's easier for him to use than discs and it's more intuitive for him to use on the iPad also.

Sure, but as I said earlier, I haven't seen online infrastructure improve at all in the last 5 years. If anything, it's gotten more expensive for the same speeds/services; it's totally plateaued, with no real improvements on the horizon. If we're truly going all streaming; movies, shows, games, etc., our online services have to improve dramatically. But they're not. They're totally dragging their heels.
Old 10-22-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
It already has. People are already spending $30 for a crappy 80s films from Shout Factory just because there is nothing else to buy.
I am honestly fine with this as those are the only kinds of movies I watch more than once anyway. The only problem is when "your" favorite niche title never makes it's way to BD. Then it sucks.
Old 10-22-14, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

consumers are absolutely streaming stuff quite a bit.
It's less a question if they are streaming the hottest biggest new release rather than buying it because there is only so much time in the day. There is plenty of subscription content they can stream to fill the empty hours...rather than buying the latest and greatest- whether its a hard copy or a download.
But when you add the shift to streaming in general, with a slight amount of streaming NEW, paid content- that doesn't leave that much left for hard copy sales. And that is exactly what we are seeing.
Old 10-24-14, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

They only time they seem to 'rotate' catalog titles is to tie in with a new movie coming out, like how they just recently got The Conjuring back because of Annabelle
Old 10-24-14, 10:52 AM

Do you really think catalog titles are going to bring that much money in for them? How many people do you really think would rent The Crying Game from Redbox?
Old 10-24-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdshonna
I assume they have nation wide distribution instead of doing everything regionally.

They should try using regional managers and stocking machines with a wide variety of titles. I have 5 machines near by, but they all carry basically the same titles (for fu#king months).

Their answer to declining profits is to raise prices (currently $1.35 in my area). The same mistake made by the music industry that drove them into the ground. The same mistake made by the dumb fu#ks in the movie industry, while their sales continue to tank.

Edit: I just realized, I've enjoyed watching more movies the last few months, for free on broadcast TV, than I've seen from Redbox. They have commercials, but I would rather see "The Crying Game" with commercials, than rent "Godzilla The Talking Dog" or whatever that crap is in the redbox machine.
Totally agree. Machines should be stocked locally by real marketing data acquired instead of a nationwide canvass assumption on what everyone wants to see. For example, The Crying Game would get more rents in Portland, OR than some other title. Each city--even broken down to each city's neighborhoods, rent differently.

Increasing prices will drive Redbox to the same fate as others who try to squeeze more profits instead of doing the work necessary to have a truly accommodating rental service.

I stopped renting from Redbox because the titles just were not there. Certain neighborhoods have certain tastes. Maybe Redbox already does this but I haven't particularly observed this when shopping in stores all over the city as I walk out observing Redbox titles.
Old 10-24-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

There's a TV version of The Crying Game? How did they handle the big reveal?
Old 10-24-14, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Totally agree. Machines should be stocked locally by real marketing data acquired instead of a nationwide canvass assumption on what everyone wants to see. For example, The Crying Game would get more rents in Portland, OR than some other title. Each city--even broken down to each city's neighborhoods, rent differently.

Increasing prices will drive Redbox to the same fate as others who try to squeeze more profits instead of doing the work necessary to have a truly accommodating rental service.

I stopped renting from Redbox because the titles just were not there. Certain neighborhoods have certain tastes. Maybe Redbox already does this but I haven't particularly observed this when shopping in stores all over the city as I walk out observing Redbox titles.
Don't forget there's the whole thing where you can return to any Redbox, so the by region and especially by neighborhood thing may not work out very well.
Old 10-24-14, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Do you really think catalog titles are going to bring that much money in for them? How many people do you really think would rent The Crying Game from Redbox?
Exactly. I can't even begin to imagine that the handful of extra rentals generated by catalog titles would even come close to paying for regional marketing or whatever.
Old 10-24-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Hm. I did not know that all Redboxes carried the same titles. Every time I've looked at one, the selection was absolute shit. I've never rented from one since it doesn't look like it's worth the risk of having my credit card number jacked.
Old 10-25-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I've never seen the point of renting a "crap title" (meaning low-budget, straight-to-video movies) from Redbox since I've BOUGHT many titles of the same caliber for roughly the same price as their rentals are. In fact, I've never actually paid for a Redbox rental, always got 'em when they had free codes. They used to put out one a week that you could use multiple times if you had more than one credit card, but they aren't so generous now. I think the worst movie I rented from them was National Lampoon's Cattle Call.
Old 10-25-14, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Yeah, I haven't used a kiosk in a while but it seems they need some kind of artwork etc. for the titles--not really something a guy with a scanner and photoshop can do. Though that brings to mind the old-time jukeboxes that sometimes had a handwritten title card for certain selections.
Old 10-25-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm guessing the people using Redbox aren't using it to watch deep catalog titles. They're probably just interested in new releases. That does suck the titles aren't rotated often, although I don't think loading them up with random catalog titles would help much, if any.
Old 10-25-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdshonna
Also there is a trend developing. Most of the new releases blow.
True...unless you like never-ending Marvel Comics reboots and movies about giant robots.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.