Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-11, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by MinLShaw

It's become a meme among the anti-Lucas crowd. A quick search finds eight different posts in this thread alone that include "raped childhood" (easily the most unnerving search request I have ever made, by the way) though admittedly it appears at first glance several of those are from posters who insist they're not a "Lucas raped my childhood" person. Still, the fact they even felt the need to make the distinction says something about the prevalence of the phrase.

Its not a meme. Its a straw man argument advanced by people who want to stifle legitimate criticism by throwing out false derogatory comments about the people making them.
Old 08-28-11, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Philzilla
Guess I should have added, "That's Impossible"
It would have been a stronger set-up, yes. I was thisclose to adding it when I quoted you, but that seemed wrong to do. In any event, the narrative I've always heard--and I freely admit I haven't really researched it particularly thoroughly--is that he raised their daughters himself when she left him.

The funny thing is, we all know that we would place our families ahead of anything else in life but for some reason when it comes to celebrities who make entertainment we enjoy, we expect them to disregard our values and just keep churning out product to kill our boredom. When was the last time you heard someone get mad that the video rental store clerk had taken time off work to be with his family? It doesn't happen, because we all empathize with the clerk. The guy who makes movies, though, should just keep making movies. It's pretty bizarre when you think about it. Sure, some film-makers keep churning out content throughout such turbulence, but does that mean that everyone can, or should?
Old 08-28-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chanster
Its not a meme. Its a straw man argument advanced by people who want to stifle legitimate criticism by throwing out false derogatory comments about the people making them.
I readily concede that there are legitimate gripes for fans to have, and that many express them reasonably. But surely you must similarly recognize that the most vocal of the dissenting fans are prone to the kind of hyperbole demonstrated in the YouTube clip I shared? That segment of the fans is very much real.
Old 08-28-11, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So what if there are people out there on the Internet? There are people on both sides that are extreme (although I would dare say that the "Lucas revisionsists" far outnumber the "OOT extremeists), there are people out there comparing persecution of Lucas to persecution ofJews in Nazi Germany. All of it is stupid.

What is stupider though are the people that come on this board and attempt to bash generally thoughtful criticisms and reasons why the original OT on Blu Ray (heck even a decent release on DVD would be OK with me and probably a lot of people) should be released with comments like "lucas raped my childhood" Its a false flag.
Old 08-28-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And actually that Youtube video is funny, and if you can't see the humor evident in it, well I can't really help you.
Old 08-28-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, that is great. The main characters of the original trilogy are pushed into the upper left corner, while minor characters from the prequels are given prominent positions. Jesus... Luke, Han, Leia, and Lando are stuck up there behind the fucking Ewoks.

Passive aggressive, much?
'Can'tpleaseeveryone-itis' much?
Old 08-28-11, 11:20 AM

I hate the special editions and will never buy them. That said it doesn't keep me up at night and I am able to function in society and do basic life things. I would prefer the originals be released and by taking 15 seconds to post in a thread about Star Wars does not make me crazy. Now if I was posting dressed in a Chewbacca costume then yes lock me up.
Old 08-28-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
the narrative I've always heard--and I freely admit I haven't really researched it particularly thoroughly--is that he raised their daughters himself when she left him.
"Lucas and his media interviews seems to give the strong impression that Amanda was raised by him alone--Marcia remarked to me that the 60 Minutes interviews and whatnot portray him as "Mr. Mom," without any mention of Marcia. While this may be true with his other two children, such is not the case with Amanda. "I might have left George," Marcia wrote to me, "but I never left Amanda!" She had a 50% time share of her daughter, and raised her with George, even though they were divorced. Marcia wrote to me that she has been actively "involved in every aspect of her life. She has become an amazing, wonderful, really good human being." Marcia legally kept the last name Lucas so that her daughter would have parents with the same last name."

The Secret History of Star Wars: In Tribute to Marcia Lucas

Last edited by Matt; 08-28-11 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-28-11, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett
What makes me sick the most is these fuckers over 40 that cry like little girls about the CW. Dont watch it. It is helping a new generation carry SW even farther. Do I like CW? Not, really, but my kids do, and I watch with them and play with them. And thats building a fanbase that they can carry into their kids, just like we did.
I'm a fucker over 40 who loves watching Clone Wars but hates everything Lucas has done to the Original Trilogy. I have no intention of buying the Blu-Ray release (no matter what his daughter thinks) but will happily pick up the Clone War Blu-Rays when they drop to a reasonable price. Clone Wars is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (I played that game to death!).

My kids however think that Clone Wars is just one of "dad's things that we have to deal with." They've all been through a Star Wars phase but it's passed them by a long time ago.
Old 08-28-11, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Thanks for the link, I read it this morning, fascinating and a little depressing. I don't have any doubt that's probably how it played out. As a creative type, I can relate to Lucas' side of things.... work is my hobby and I don't have anything else really outside of that. It never stops really. Whenever I'm asked "what do you do for fun" I don't really a have an answer, other than things related to work. Hate that question...
Old 08-28-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MWB
"Lucas and his media interviews seems to give the strong impression that Amanda was raised by him alone--Marcia remarked to me that the 60 Minutes interviews and whatnot portray him as "Mr. Mom," without any mention of Marcia. While this may be true with his other two children, such is not the case with Amanda...The Secret History of Star Wars: In Tribute to Marcia Lucas
Thanks for that. It doesn't surprise me that things have been distorted, and frankly it's none of my business who did what for their kids anyway. It's interesting that Marcia only made the point of being involved with the one girl, though. Was that the one they adopted?

EDIT: I'm clear now on the fact that Amanda (who was, in fact, adopted), was the only child they shared. Ergo, there was no reasonable obligation for her to be any more involved than she was.

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Clone Wars is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (I played that game to death!).
I dunno...the Lego Star Wars video games were a lot of fun. But, yeah, they've done a great job with The Clone Wars.

My kids however think that Clone Wars is just one of "dad's things that we have to deal with." They've all been through a Star Wars phase but it's passed them by a long time ago.
So much of what's been released for this generation of kids has actually been retreads of stuff we grew up with: Star Wars, Transformers, G.I. Joe, now even ThunderCats are back. I wonder: will they later have second-generation nostalgia for these incarnations? Outside of these incarnations of our generation's entertainment, all they've really got are the Harry Potter series and the anime stuff. Though, if it's any consolation to this generation, I actually think a lot of their versions of our stuff are better than the ones we had.

Last edited by Travis McClain; 08-28-11 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-28-11, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love ignoring a thread for a full month, and clicking in to find the exact same bitch-fest still going on.
Old 08-28-11, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
Thanks for the link, I read it this morning, fascinating and a little depressing. I don't have any doubt that's probably how it played out. As a creative type, I can relate to Lucas' side of things.... work is my hobby and I don't have anything else really outside of that. It never stops really. Whenever I'm asked "what do you do for fun" I don't really a have an answer, other than things related to work. Hate that question...
Great article, but ends very strangely: Marcia Lucas' whereabouts are unknown?!
Old 08-29-11, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, that is great. The main characters of the original trilogy are pushed into the upper left corner, while minor characters from the prequels are given prominent positions. Jesus... Luke, Han, Leia, and Lando are stuck up there behind the fucking Ewoks.

Passive aggressive, much?
Agreed. That is quite odd to see the heroes of the OT just shoved up in the corner of the picture.

A small-scale Luke Skywalker, the center of the OT, is pushed into the upper right corner like some kind of afterthought or minor character.
Old 08-29-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by RD1973
Great article, but ends very strangely: Marcia Lucas' whereabouts are unknown?!
I don't think the article is insinuating that she's missing, but that she's no longer in the public arena, so information on her is hard to come by. Everyone knows where George Lucas lives; only Marcia Lucas's friends and family know where she lives.
Old 08-29-11, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IV-VI have leaked online, so it should be just a matter of hours before we have a full breakdown of any changes that might have been made.
Old 08-29-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great looking forward to hearing about that Easter egg
Old 08-29-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
IV-VI have leaked online, so it should be just a matter of hours before we have a full breakdown of any changes that might have been made.
I just want to know if the most obviously stupid changes were kept intact like the Vader/shuttle return scene. I've not seen or heard anything about these leaking anywhere at all, but it wouldn't surprise considering how often these things happen.
Old 08-29-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett
Im a diehard fan, hell my kids and pets are named after characters.
Holy shit, you named your kids Plo Kloon and IG-88?

And as a huge SW fan, I agree with you... they're just movies and I did see the original in a theater.
Old 08-29-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshimi
I hate the special editions and will never buy them. That said it doesn't keep me up at night and I am able to function in society and do basic life things. I would prefer the originals be released and by taking 15 seconds to post in a thread about Star Wars does not make me crazy. Now if I was posting dressed in a Chewbacca costume then yes lock me up.
How do we know you weren't dressed in a Chewbacca costume??
Old 08-29-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
I love ignoring a thread for a full month, and clicking in to find the exact same bitch-fest still going on.
Yeah, you didn't miss anything. Star Wars "fans" are like Madden video game football "fans". They'll bitch about anything.
Old 08-29-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Yeah, you didn't miss anything. Star Wars "fans" are like Madden video game football "fans". They'll bitch about anything.
And yet, every year when a new one is released...
Old 08-29-11, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
And yet, every year when a new one is released...
exactly...people rarely put their money where their mouth is.

I'm actually getting more pumped for this release!!
Old 08-29-11, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just as with the DVD's, we'll see the untampered OT available on blu-ray about six months before it gets replaced by the next gen format.

As I hate the prequels there's no reason for me to buy this set. And I'm perfectly fine with that. I have the original versions on DVD, and while not anamorphic or remastered they'll do until Lucas or his heirs get their act together.

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
How do we know you weren't dressed in a Chewbacca costume??
How do we know he isn't wearing a Slave Leia outfit over that Chewbacca costume?
Old 08-29-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
I'm not suggesting this has happened, just throwing it out there: What if they have "fixed" some of their previous changes? What changes would really "sell" you on this set?

I realize we're not getting my ideal set (the originals, untouched), so I'm trying to figure out what a good "compromise" would be. Star Wars is generally fine, if they would fix the Han/Greedo scene. I could do without the Jabba scene, but that's easily skippable. Mos Eisley being "busy" I can live with.

Empire has always struck me as being the least tampered with. While not happy with the changes, I can live with them.

Jedi...wow, where to start. I know there are people who don't like Jedi, but I've always loved it. Having said that, there's soooo much stuff that's been changed I don't know where a compromise would begin. Big one would be reverting to the original Anakin. But is that one change enough to make me overlook that stupid Jedi rocks scene? I always liked the Ewok song better at the end as well, but in exchange for what? The Sarlacc's new mouth? Less Gungans in the end?

I realize there's nothing we can do about, just curious as to everyone's thoughts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.