Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-11, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Mazje
I'm not suggesting this has happened, just throwing it out there: What if they have "fixed" some of their previous changes? What changes would really "sell" you on this set?

I realize we're not getting my ideal set (the originals, untouched), so I'm trying to figure out what a good "compromise" would be. Star Wars is generally fine, if they would fix the Han/Greedo scene. I could do without the Jabba scene, but that's easily skippable. Mos Eisley being "busy" I can live with.

Empire has always struck me as being the least tampered with. While not happy with the changes, I can live with them.

Jedi...wow, where to start. I know there are people who don't like Jedi, but I've always loved it. Having said that, there's soooo much stuff that's been changed I don't know where a compromise would begin. Big one would be reverting to the original Anakin. But is that one change enough to make me overlook that stupid Jedi rocks scene? I always liked the Ewok song better at the end as well, but in exchange for what? The Sarlacc's new mouth? Less Gungans in the end?

I realize there's nothing we can do about, just curious as to everyone's thoughts.
Vader, returning to his shuttle in Empire. The one damn change that ruined part of the movie's climax and was so completely pointless. Get rid of that and I can live easily with Empire because it was generally fine with the simple effect upgrades. I say that one all the time because yes, it really is that one straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

Force ghost Hayden, Jedi Rocks, "wesa free!", they aren't winners either. The flying 'cute' droids in the first film throughout Mos Eisley are just cheap kiddie trick nonsense. Not at all surprising that so-called humor stunk the prequels up.
Old 08-30-11, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, Lucas has been surprisingly subtle with the changes to Empire. I don't have a problem with most of it, even the "fetch my shuttle" thing. I'm indifferent to it. If I had to pick one thing it would be that Boba Fett needs his original voice back, not Jango's. Oh, and lose the Wampa eating. It was scarier not seeing him.

Jedi needs "Laptinek" back as well as the "Yub Nub" Ewok song. Hayden needs to go, as does Fett hamming it up to the ladies in Jabba's Palace.

Star Wars - Han needs to shoot first. I don't mind the Jabba scene, in theory, but they need to update it so he looks more like Jabba from Jedi. It's just not done well. I don't mind a busier Mos Eisley either.
Old 08-30-11, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like all of the new changes to the OT will be pretty subtle. Wicket now has CGI eyes. Spoilered for size.
Spoiler:
Old 08-30-11, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by RD1973
Great article, but ends very strangely: Marcia Lucas' whereabouts are unknown?!
She's hanging on a wall in the basement of Skywalker Ranch, frozen in a carbonite block.
Old 08-30-11, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Shame he couldn't just make the Ewoks feral (and randomly blow up at the end).

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Star Wars - Han needs to shoot first. I don't mind the Jabba scene, in theory, but they need to update it so he looks more like Jabba from Jedi. It's just not done well. I don't mind a busier Mos Eisley either.
The shot of Boba Fett mugging for the camera needs to go as well.
Old 08-30-11, 08:33 AM

Can someone breakdown the "fetch my shuttle" scene for me in Empire...original vs. SE? I don't remember that change.
Old 08-30-11, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by leem6453
Can someone breakdown the "fetch my shuttle" scene for me in Empire...original vs. SE? I don't remember that change.
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../06/index.html
In the original evacuation from Cloud City, Darth Vader is last seen in an interior scene striding towards the doorway leading to a landing platform on Bespin. He is next seen on his Star Destroyer. For the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition, George Lucas wanted to depict Darth's travel from Cloud City to his Star Destroyer. Vader's original "Bring my shuttle" has been replaced with "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival", and it's not said bye James Earl Jones, which doesn't bother too much, though.
http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/a...-part-two.html
In the original release, after having failed to lure Luke to the dark side of the Force, Darth Vader demands that his troops bring his shuttle so that he may return to the Executor. The Special Edition adds a new scene in which Vader and his troops stride out onto the landing platform to board the shuttle...

In the original release of the film we never see Darth Vader return to his Star Destroyer after summoning his shuttle. This was fixed for the Special Edition and subsequent DVD release of the film. Here we see the shuttle departing Bespin... Immediately following the departure from Bespin is a scene portraying the shuttle en route to the Imperial flagship, Executor...

Here we see Darth Vader’s shuttle landing in one of the flagship’s hanger bays. Or do we? Those of you with keen senses may have noticed that this hanger looks very similar to the one from the Death Star in Return of the Jedi, and you’d be right. This scene is actually an outtake from the third instalment of the trilogy!

Here we see Darth Vader disembarking from his shuttle, where he is greeted by a group of Imperial officers. But wait, who’s that? Why, it’s Moff Jejerrod, commander of the second Death Star. But isn’t Admiral Piett in command of the Executor? Oh wait, it’s another outtake from Return of the Jedi! If you look closely you can actually see the Moff mouth his dialogue from the sequel.
Old 08-30-11, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the links!
Old 08-30-11, 09:29 AM

^^ and since they stuck all of that shuttle landing crap from Return of the Jedi into the film they completely destroyed the pacing and tension of the sequence, where Leia, Chewie and Lando race back to Cloud City to find Luke who was dangling from an antenna, then they race back off after being chased by TIE fighters out of the area and off the planet.

Empire may have had the most subtle changes but that one change..."NO DEAL". It's pure crap and basically telegraphs what happens - why the hell do we need to see Vader 'go home' anyway? It's not like there's a continuity error or a lapse in time / believability. Then again when do changes like that make sense...
Old 08-30-11, 09:34 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks like the leaked versions are from the new Blu-rays and they still have plenty of mistakes. Theforce.net (shudder) has pointed out several things that are "new" and not present in the 2004 DVD.

99% of people won't notice any of this stuff, so it slides by. Shame since this was apparently being worked on for years. Oh well...I'm still a sucker and will buy this.
Old 08-30-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

On the one hand, it makes little sense for anyone to bring Vader his shuttle, since in all likelihood he's going to have to walk to it anyway. On the other hand, it's an entirely trivial matter of logistics and in any event, the cadence of "Bring my shuttle!" is perfect. Typically, even when Vader kills people in the OT, he's pretty calm about it. Sometimes he's even amused, like it's interrupted hours of paperwork to get to Force-choke a bitch. After the duel with Luke goes sour, though, he's just outright furious and "Bring my shuttle!" captures that.

Now, you can argue that the more verbose, calmer update is more consistent with his burn-out behavior in the OT. I would posit, though, that this specific moment really helps us to see him coming out of his 18 year daze and paves the way for his breakout in the end of Return of the Jedi.

Also, I'd totally forgotten about Ladies Man Boba. I actually kinda like that one. I wouldn't have cared for it had it just been one woman, though. Two? Now that's how I like my overrated bounty hunters!
Old 08-30-11, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw

Also, I'd totally forgotten about Ladies Man Boba. I actually kinda like that one. I wouldn't have cared for it had it just been one woman, though. Two? Now that's how I like my overrated bounty hunters!
I'd actually forgotten about that as well. Like you, I also kind of like it. If it was gone forever I wouldn't miss it, but it is kind of fun being in there.

Also, Gizmo, do you have a link (double shudder) to where they're talking about it?
Old 08-30-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd actually forgotten about that as well. Like you, I also kind of like it. If it was gone forever I wouldn't miss it, but it is kind of fun being in there.

Also, Gizmo, do you have a link (double shudder) to where they're talking about it?
http://boards.theforce.net/star_wars...339/p342/?5120
Old 08-30-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I think this is really the most significant problem with all the SE+ changes: No one would miss them if they were gone. I'm accepting of most of them, but it's largely an indifferent acceptance. I can't name one alteration that I actually feel makes any kind of positive impact on the films. I suppose fleshing out Cloud City is an improvement, but that's pretty vacuous, no?

This, I think, is why the two sides in this debate are "The Changes Are Horrible" vs. "So What?" instead of "The Changes Are an Improvement."

Lately I've been thinking about all this in the context of generational divisions. I was born in December, 1978 and it's a little unclear whether I'm one of the very last Gen Xers or one of the very first Gen Yers. I've ultimately decided I'm a Gen Yer. Part of it is that just about everyone in my inner circle--my wife, my brother, nearly all of my friends--are at least a year younger than me. They're more clearly Gen Y and I identify with them so I skew that way.

Also, the Star Wars thing. I think being in the "The Changes Are Horrible" camp is a Gen X feeling, whereas I suspect "So What?" is a Gen Y reaction. I just don't feel the kind of betrayal that many of you do, in large part because--even though I consider myself a card-carrying geek--I never took ownership of Star Wars like some of you have. They're not "my" movies; at least, not in the same way.
Old 08-30-11, 10:22 AM

While I haven't watched the leak of the discs it is being reported that Luke's lightsaber on the Millennium Falcon in the training scene is still green in ANH. But Wicket now blinks so...
Old 08-30-11, 10:34 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

If I could ever tell slight difference like the changing of Wickets eyes please fucking kill me. How does someone notice that?
Old 08-30-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
If I could ever tell slight difference like the changing of Wickets eyes please fucking kill me. How does someone notice that?
It's pretty noticeable, especially since it's a closeup of wicket.
Old 08-30-11, 10:54 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
While I can get OCD over some things in life, I am generally incredibly unobservant when it comes to fine details of movies and music.

I didn't even notice the "Greedo shooting first" change until the internet told me about it.

I guess I'm more in the "so what?" camp, although the collector in me would prefer to have all versions available.
Old 08-30-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My biggest problem with the special editions is the poor quality of the computer graphics. Most of the CG objects look fake. They are simply not consistent with the traditional look of the films. The CG sarlacc beak, for example, looks totally out of place when juxtaposed with the traditional sand pit. I can't speak for others, but the poor quality of the CG really pulls me out of the movies. While watching, my attention shifts from the story to the poor CG.

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 08-30-11 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-30-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Blu-ray.com boards are dissecting the footage. There is a report that Vader now screams NOOOOOO when he throws the Emperor.

Oh wow.

http://bayfiles.com/file/RTz/P45etn/NooooNoooo.mp3

The first is cool, but the 2nd is terrible

Last edited by stingermck; 08-30-11 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-30-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Obi Wan's new krayyt dragon yell. I lol'd

http://bayfiles.com/file/RQD/3axPN7/KrayytDragon.mp3
Old 08-30-11, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Obi Wan's new krayyt dragon yell. I lol'd

http://bayfiles.com/file/RQD/3axPN7/KrayytDragon.mp3
Oh F me that is shit. Unbelievable.
Old 08-30-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
as does Fett hamming it up to the ladies in Jabba's Palace.
I have never seen the tampered versions and I am likely never going to. So my mental image is of Fett walking up to some slave girls doing the "wild n' crazy guy" dance. And I like it that way.

"Hello, foxes! I very much like your multiple alien breasts! Would you like to swing with a happening clone in tight armor with great bulges?"
Old 08-30-11, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I think this is really the most significant problem with all the SE+ changes: No one would miss them if they were gone. I'm accepting of most of them, but it's largely an indifferent acceptance. I can't name one alteration that I actually feel makes any kind of positive impact on the films. I suppose fleshing out Cloud City is an improvement, but that's pretty vacuous, no?

This, I think, is why the two sides in this debate are "The Changes Are Horrible" vs. "So What?" instead of "The Changes Are an Improvement."

Lately I've been thinking about all this in the context of generational divisions. I was born in December, 1978 and it's a little unclear whether I'm one of the very last Gen Xers or one of the very first Gen Yers. I've ultimately decided I'm a Gen Yer. Part of it is that just about everyone in my inner circle--my wife, my brother, nearly all of my friends--are at least a year younger than me. They're more clearly Gen Y and I identify with them so I skew that way.

Also, the Star Wars thing. I think being in the "The Changes Are Horrible" camp is a Gen X feeling, whereas I suspect "So What?" is a Gen Y reaction. I just don't feel the kind of betrayal that many of you do, in large part because--even though I consider myself a card-carrying geek--I never took ownership of Star Wars like some of you have. They're not "my" movies; at least, not in the same way.
The one change that I really did like was the new Darth Sideous hologram in Empire. Much better than the lady emperor from the original, and it tied nicely with the PT. Now the Hayden ghost at the end of Jedi is almost unforgiveable. I guess if you watch all 6 movies in sequence it's not as hard to accept, but just watching the OT makes it cringe worthy.
Old 08-30-11, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Blu-ray.com boards are dissecting the footage. There is a report that Vader now screams NOOOOOO when he throws the Emperor.

Oh wow.

http://bayfiles.com/file/RTz/P45etn/NooooNoooo.mp3

The first is cool, but the 2nd is terrible
This whole addition, is utter rubbish. There's absolutely no need for him to mutter or yell "No". Even though the mask obscures them, you can almost see it in Vader's eyes that he's had enough. His body language, the way he looks over to the Emperor and back to Luke, is all you ever needed in that scene. So eloquent and graceful in it's staging and framing. Ruined. Idiotic and devastatingly unnecessary change.

One can only hope this is a fake out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.