Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
re: Star Wars

Give me a BareBones Fully Restored BluRay set of the Original Versions of Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi, and I would never complain about Lucas ever again. Heck, he could release them with no cover art in old CD cases and he could write on each disk, "Fuck you to all the fans that have been bitching to me about these versions, as you have been a fucking thorn in my side since 1997."

Thats how much I love those versions

Last edited by mcnabb; 05-09-11 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean, if this were truly an Archival release (ala Blade Runner, Close Encounters, etc.) then the unaltered movies should be there.

I feel like I never have to buy another edition of those movies (BR, CE3K) simply because everything that was needed was included already.
Old 05-09-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Yeah, there's no reason not to include the unaltered movies other than to later re-release the OT paired with the unaltered versions on DVD (except this time they'll be anamorphic).
Old 05-09-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
How bout the industry standard, which for the most part (not counting the blu-rays released FIVE years ago) include the majority of previously released DVD extras. I would've preferred that and no new extras, compared to these useless (imo) fan and vintage docs.
This is exactly why I refused to get excited for this Bluray set. Back when the first OT box was released in 2004, it was a nice set. But it sure as shit wasn't the fantastic slice of fried gold Lucas thought it was. I'd have to go digging, but I remember thinking at the time that there were several other DVD sets that out-classed it by a mile.

And then the non-anamorphic "special feature" versions of the originals? Lucas clearly has no idea of how the DVD market works, and he probably simply doesn't care. And let's face it, he doesn't have to: enough people will buy whatever shovelware he puts out because of the name.

Originally Posted by Artman
I just have to wonder if they even know what they're doing over there... the sad truth is these films may well be treated better by a major studio than what we've gotten the last decade.
But this is what really burns me. If Fox were doing it, we'd have already had several releases, starting with the SE's on DVD back in 97 alongside the VHS and LD releases (and there are rumors it was really close to happening). I've seen plenty of special editions of Fox's own movies that tells me their Star Wars sets would be truly something to be proud of, and I just don't get a feeling of pride from Lucas about SW. More like, "here's some stuff, watch it or not, I don't care."

Originally Posted by Mabuse
What would make me happy? Two words for you: Blade Runner

That special edition was spectacular.

5 versions of the film, 3 hour making of feature, 40+ minutes of deleted scenes assembled in a manner that makes it like a little film, it's as complete and thurough a set as has ever been published.

I'd like a set like that for each film of the OT.

I've seen enough and read enough about the making of the films that I don't need to hear any more. Now I just want to watch the films. Really watch the films. All the varient versions and all the varient soundtracks.

Supplement wise I would especially like more attention payed to Empire and Jedi. Most documentaries tend to focus 75% on SW and 25% on the sequels.
Very briefly, I had hopes of seeing something like this. Even the prequels would sell well if done up like this.

But yeah, BladeRunner has set the standard. I recall Lucas has sometimes painted himself as an innovator for filmmaking; I wish he would understand that nowadays films will live the rest of their lives on home theaters and would try to innovate himself that way also.
Old 05-09-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt we'll get the theatrical versions on Blu-ray. DVD it was different, double dips were the norm, not so much on Blu-ray.

The best we could hope for is that Lucas dies and his estate agrees to let Criterion put out the films. Can you imagine a Scorsese commentary track for Star Wars? It would be so nice to see a Star Wars release that is more about being a bold 1970's indie film than a circle jerk over shitty special effects.
Old 05-09-11, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From looking at the restoration process on Youtube, I think fully restoring the OOT (what does that stand for btw?) would be quite the undertaking, and it doesn't sound like Lucas wants to devote the time, or the money to doing so. I just don't think he sees the profit in it. Most casual SW fans probably wouldn't bother with it.

I would love to get my hands on it though, but I just don't see it happening.

As far as the supplements go for the BD set, it doesn't really bother me that much. I've read a few posts complaining about "From SW to Jedi" not being included, but I thought Empire of Dreams was much better personally. Just getting all 6 movies on BD for under $90 is enough for me.

I think GL just expects fans to hold on to their dvds. I mean we're talking 3 large docs from the PQ dvds, Empire of Dreams, FS2J, new supplemental material, the list goes on and on.

Bottom line...no way he's going to please everybody.
Old 05-09-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Can you imagine a Scorsese commentary track for Star Wars?
I can't imagine a world where Scorsese lives long enough to record such a thing, nor a world where I live to see the unaltered OT released on a modern format.
Old 05-09-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It would be so nice to see a Star Wars release that is more about being a bold 1970's indie film than a circle jerk over shitty special effects.
That says it so well. I wish Lucas could appreciate his own work in that way.

Originally Posted by leem6453
From looking at the restoration process on Youtube, I think fully restoring the OOT (what does that stand for btw?) would be quite the undertaking, and it doesn't sound like Lucas wants to devote the time, or the money to doing so. I just don't think he sees the profit in it. Most casual SW fans probably wouldn't bother with it.

I would love to get my hands on it though, but I just don't see it happening.

As far as the supplements go for the BD set, it doesn't really bother me that much. I've read a few posts complaining about "From SW to Jedi" not being included, but I thought Empire of Dreams was much better personally. Just getting all 6 movies on BD for under $90 is enough for me.

I think GL just expects fans to hold on to their dvds. I mean we're talking 3 large docs from the PQ dvds, Empire of Dreams, FS2J, new supplemental material, the list goes on and on.

Bottom line...no way he's going to please everybody.
OOT - Original, original trilogy. (Eps 4-6 are referred to as the original, as opposed to "prequel" trilogy, so the original theatrical versions of the first six movies.

But as for restoring them being an undertaking? Studios do it all the time for far less well-known films all the time. Sure there's a formula they crunch to make sure it will be profitable, but to think that Star Wars wouldn't work out in such a formula is just silly. Sure it would need some work, but they've saved all the negatives and such over the years, and there are theatrical prints in the hands of private collectors out there that could be used for reference (I'd bet you a dollar Fox has their own secret copies hidden away "just in case" also).

And no you can't please everybody. But it feels like Lucas isn't trying to please anybody.
Old 05-09-11, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
OOT - Original, original trilogy. (Eps 4-6 are referred to as the original, as opposed to "prequel" trilogy, so the original theatrical versions of the first six movies.

But as for restoring them being an undertaking? Studios do it all the time for far less well-known films all the time. Sure there's a formula they crunch to make sure it will be profitable, but to think that Star Wars wouldn't work out in such a formula is just silly. Sure it would need some work, but they've saved all the negatives and such over the years, and there are theatrical prints in the hands of private collectors out there that could be used for reference (I'd bet you a dollar Fox has their own secret copies hidden away "just in case" also).

And no you can't please everybody. But it feels like Lucas isn't trying to please anybody.
Then I agree with you, that if those prints are readily available, GL should definitely release the OOT. What I don't understand is...why wouldn't you give your fans something that would be that easy to give them? I mean the fans are the reason he is so successful.
Old 05-09-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Honest to god, at this point I can't even put a price on what I would pay for the OOT on Blu-Ray the way we all think it should be. I'm sure that's part of the plan.

$100 each? Not out of the question for me.

The shit he keeps giving us? $0. I have it all already in a decent enough format.
Old 05-09-11, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

The artwork for the complete set looks like an illustration for a bad children's book.
Old 05-09-11, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pinata242
Honest to god, at this point I can't even put a price on what I would pay for the OOT on Blu-Ray the way we all think it should be. I'm sure that's part of the plan.

$100 each? Not out of the question for me.

The shit he keeps giving us? $0. I have it all already in a decent enough format.
For a set of the real versions of the movie that had at least 2 discs for each movie, I'd probably pay 100 dollars, too.....as long as it had all the features of the trilogy dvd set from 2004.
Old 05-09-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I meant each as in $300 for the set. I don't care about extras. I just want the movies.
Old 05-09-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

reading through these comments, I find it funny that so many of the diehards just cant accept that there are alot of us out here that are more than happy with the special editions, and dont think that the changes have ruined the original trilogy. would we like to see the original cuts included on the BD of course, but are we going to whine and complain about it, or refuse to buy or watch the movies ever again? NO!
Old 05-09-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
reading through these comments, I find it funny that so many of the diehards just cant accept that there are alot of us out here that are more than happy with the special editions
You must be reading through a very different version of "these comments" than appears on my screen.
Old 05-09-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

reading through these comments, I find it funny that so many of the diehards just cant accept that there are alot of us out here that are more than happy with the special editions, and dont think that the changes have ruined the original trilogy. would we like to see the original cuts included on the BD of course, but are we going to whine and complain about it, or refuse to buy or watch the movies ever again? NO!
I think more people care that the OOT hasn't had a decent release than whether you or someone else is happy with the special editions.
Old 05-09-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I think more people care that the OOT hasn't had a decent release than whether you or someone else is happy with the special editions.
thank you both for proving my point.

oh and the original trilogy has infact seen great dvd releases in the past. just cause your not happy with the special editions doesnt mean they havent been given a decent release over the years. heck they even as a good will gesture included the theatrical cuts as a special feature in that last dvd release even though,They told everyone back when that last vhs release came out that, that was it the original versions would never again be released on home video.
Lucasfilm didnt have to do that, but they did. yeah its a shame it was non anamorphic, but hey atleast you could watch it, if it was that important to you.

its funny that so many of you didnt believe it when lucasfilm said this is the final time these cuts will be released way back in the 90s

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 05-09-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I have the SEs a few times over. I don't need them again.
Old 05-09-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thank you both for proving my point.
Um...okay. You believe that because some people want the original trilogy released that they give a shit that you are happy with the special editions?
Old 05-09-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Um...okay. You believe that because some people want the original trilogy released that they give a shit that you are happy with the special editions?
My point is that the die hards are so delusional as to believe that everyone feels that its manadtory to include the theatrical cuts.
And cant accept that there are many more consumers who are more than happy with the special editions, and the proof will be in how well these sell latter this year.
Old 05-09-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My point is that the die hards are so delusional as to believe that everyone feels that its manadtory to include the theatrical cuts.
And cant accept that there are many more consumers who are more than happy with the special editions, and the proof will be in how well these sell latter this year.
They realize they're a vocal minority.

You can continue to buy the same stuff over and over, no one cares that you're supporting an ego-maniac that doesn't give two shits about you, just your money (as his daughter also clearly knows).

Enjoy it! No one else cares. They should tide you over until the 3D versions in 2013.

You notice that those of "us" that won't be buying aren't criticizing those of "you" that will? Because it's not our money and we don't care. Why do you care? Because you're tired of the bitching? Cool. We're tired of being ignored.
Old 05-09-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Granted I haven't studied every post in this long thread but reading it here and there since it was created, I haven't really seen much of that attitude at all. I have seen many, like myself, mention that they will pass on this release or wish that this release included the OOT but I don't remember any posts that are like your description above.
Old 05-09-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

No, I doubt that there are many die hards that think that everyone hates the SEs or prequels, and I haven't seen anyone on this thread indicate as such.

Instead, they're complaining about the lack of the original versions, and, at best, pointing out that the potential audience for the original versions in HD is sizable and likely worth the (relatively) low cost of transferring and restoring them in HD.
Old 05-09-11, 03:36 PM

I think what drives all the fans batshit is that Star Wars is the only movie franchise that disregards the theatrical version of it's product, as far as quality goes compared to the "new" product. I just find that logic to be crazy.

Can you imagine that practice happening with every other hollywood film? It's like saying, ok the director wasn't happy with the theatrical cut of Gladiator, so the consumer can never have it again. The consumer will now have to have this new "director's cut" of the movie and be happy with it.
Old 05-09-11, 03:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I get your point, and for most films it's completely true. The fanbase isn't big enough to see huge numbers of people clamoring for the "original" version and making it financially worthwhile to go to the trouble. But with Star Wars, it just might be big enough to make it worth their while.

But in either case, studios and creators doing things the right/complete way earn respect and future business, and is possibly financially rewarding in the long term.

This case is just George being George.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.