Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-17, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by milo bloom
TESB always got off the easiest with the SE changes. The expanded scenes on Cloud City are all beautiful but changing Vader's line from "Bring my shuttle" to "Alert my Star Destroyer..." plus the added footage was just clunky.
Yeah, it was a clarification that didn't need clarifying.

Luke screaming as he fell wasn't a great addition either, but at least that was removed again in later revisions.
Old 04-28-17, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like chances of getting it for the 40th are slim and none. Sigh. It was one of the last hopes I had. I don't want to wait for blanking 2020. If we even do get it then.
Old 04-29-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Looks like chances of getting it for the 40th are slim and none. Sigh. It was one of the last hopes I had. I don't want to wait for blanking 2020. If we even do get it then.
Kathleen Kennedy, who took over Lucasfilm when George Lucas left, was recently asked if the films will be restored to their original theatrical versions. Her response was that will never happen.

http://www.nme.com/news/film/lucasfi...mpered-2059039
Old 04-29-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 04-29-17, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

She didn't say that it will never happen, she said that SHE wouldn't do it. She was his handpicked successor, so I don't find that surprising, but it won't always be her call. I find it hard to believe that Disney paid 4 billion for the franchise in order to let Lucas dictate to them what they could do with it.
Old 04-29-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I find it hard to believe that Disney paid 4 billion for the franchise in order to let Lucas dictate to them what they could do with it.
Especially since they disregarded Lucas stories for the ST as he had nothing to do with the films now. They are not afraid of doing something in their best interest even if it offends Mr. Lucas.

I still believe they are waiting for the rights of the movies (except ANH) to expire in 2019 or 2020? They can put out a Super Duper Boxset of all the movies after Episode 9 and they will only need to settle for the rights to the Original SW.

Heck we waited 20 damn years since the inception of DVD for a quality version of the OOT, I can wait another 3 years!
Old 04-29-17, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The podcast interview in question:
http://steelewars.com/the_last_jedi_cast_interviews/

At about the 16:09 mark is the question. The interviewer asks whether the final cuts of "George's" films would be "altered over time." Kennedy's response: "I wouldn't touch those, are you kidding?"

I think it's a poorly phrased question, since it asks about "altering" films instead of "restoring" films, and it doesn't pin-point which films exactly; Kennedy may have thought the question was about arbitrary changes to all the earlier films, including the prequels.

The question immediately preceding it, at 15:33 is about the transition to Disney and whether there's a "contractual obligation that the films are locked into their current form." Kennedy's answer is as if she understood him to be asking about Disney influencing the new films in any way. Again, I think this question was poorly phrased, and I think Kathleen Kennedy just wasn't in the "head space" of the questions being in regard to restoring the original versions of the original trilogy at all.

Last edited by Jay G.; 04-29-17 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-29-17, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Yeah, it seems like she may have gotten confused and thought the interviewer meant are there plans for alterations to the films beyond what's been done by Lucas in terms of the various special editions.

I think the question about if we'll ever see the unaltered Original Trilogy should have been asked separately. At this point I'm still not holding my breath but I can't see a reason why Disney would refuse to release the unaltered films. I should just grab a copy of the Harmy editions to tide me over. I can't believe I still don't own the Original Trilogy on anything beyond the 2004 DVD set. I realize that there are changes present to that set but it was a gift from my parents for my birthday the year it came out and the change I despise most (the Vader "nooooooo" from the end of Return of the Jedi) isn't in that set.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-29-17 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-30-17, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe they can replace the annual shareholder question about Song of the South with an original trilogy release
Old 05-01-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I find it hard to believe that Disney paid 4 billion for the franchise in order to let Lucas dictate to them what they could do with it.
Disney's interest in Lucasfilm is in all the new movies, TV shows, video games, etc. they can churn out going forward, not in the old ones. In the corporation's mind, those are already played out.
Old 05-01-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Disney's interest in Lucasfilm is in all the new movies, TV shows, video games, etc. they can churn out going forward, not in the old ones. In the corporation's mind, those are already played out.
Yeah, you sort of have to look at Disney's corporate culture.

They really aren't big on releasing extended editions or directors cuts of their movies. Any number of the Marvel movies, and Age of Ultron in particular, could have gotten an extended cut on home video, but didn't.

Whereas a studio like Warners has released extended cuts of all of their DCEU movies, extended cuts of all six Tolkien films, and a boxed set with five different versions of Blade Runner.

Lucasfilm, as an entity, doesn't seem interested in putting out the original versions of IV, V, and VI, and it's unlikely Disney gives a mouse's ass.
Old 05-01-17, 12:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Disney has also never had properties like Marvel and Disney prior to these acquisitions. They could conceivably forge their own ways of handling the material they've inherited, but clearly the old stuff isn't what's priority to them, only usage of the intellectual property so they can continue creating new stuff using what's already been established.
Old 05-01-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They also don't want to piss off Lucas too much, since even if he doesn't have direct creative control anymore, they do want him to give his tacit blessing to the series and where they're taking it.

In the interview linked to above Kathleen Kennedy talks about having George Lucas show up at Celebration this year. It's a good marketing ploy for them to keep George visible and involved in the promotion of the Star Wars brand.

That said, Lucas allowed the release of the original versions before as a "bonus" to the later versions, and Disney itself, while not actively creating a lot of alternate versions, has made releases that contain multiple versions of a film if they already exist (see the Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray, with 3 versions of the film).
Old 05-01-17, 01:08 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

After Lucas dies there will be some kind of effort to restore them. Something like Lawrence of Arabia.
Old 05-01-17, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder who'd show up at the 50th anniversary reunion.

Hamill, Ford and Lucas. And maybe Mayhew.
Old 05-01-17, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Anthony Daniels.
Old 05-01-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suppose that depends largely on the obituaries over the next 10 years.
Old 05-01-17, 06:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Star Wars deadpool?
Old 05-01-17, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

No way Mayhew makes it.
Old 05-01-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Is David Prowse still on the Lucasfilm shitlist since the sale to Disney?
Old 05-02-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike86
I should just grab a copy of the Harmy editions to tide me over.
If I weren't scared of learning that orange really is the new black, I'd have done this years ago. Shame that they're only 720p, but hey. Then there's burning it to a disc, creating a Blu-ray cover, finding a way to stomp the disc...

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
Maybe they can replace the annual shareholder question about Song of the South with an original trilogy release
And get the same answer.

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The harsh light of day.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, you sort of have to look at Disney's corporate culture.

They really aren't big on releasing extended editions or directors cuts of their movies. Any number of the Marvel movies, and Age of Ultron in particular, could have gotten an extended cut on home video, but didn't.

Whereas a studio like Warners has released extended cuts of all of their DCEU movies, extended cuts of all six Tolkien films, and a boxed set with five different versions of Blade Runner.

Lucasfilm, as an entity, doesn't seem interested in putting out the original versions of IV, V, and VI, and it's unlikely Disney gives a mouse's ass.
Which is particularly weird given how corporately hungry they've always notoriously been.

Originally Posted by E Unit
Disney has also never had properties like Marvel and Disney prior to these acquisitions. They could conceivably forge their own ways of handling the material they've inherited, but clearly the old stuff isn't what's priority to them, only usage of the intellectual property so they can continue creating new stuff using what's already been established.
They've had a while now, so I don't see them changing.

Originally Posted by Jay G.
They also don't want to piss off Lucas too much, since even if he doesn't have direct creative control anymore, they do want him to give his tacit blessing to the series and where they're taking it.

In the interview linked to above Kathleen Kennedy talks about having George Lucas show up at Celebration this year. It's a good marketing ploy for them to keep George visible and involved in the promotion of the Star Wars brand.

That said, Lucas allowed the release of the original versions before as a "bonus" to the later versions, and Disney itself, while not actively creating a lot of alternate versions, has made releases that contain multiple versions of a film if they already exist (see the Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray, with 3 versions of the film).
Why does what Lucas thinks matter at all? He's sold Star Wars. It's not his. If he doesn't like what they do with it, isn't that kind of too bad for him?

Originally Posted by Mabuse
After Lucas dies there will be some kind of effort to restore them. Something like Lawrence of Arabia.
I'd really rather not get them if they're contingent on the death of a human being.
Old 05-02-17, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Why does what Lucas thinks matter at all? He's sold Star Wars. It's not his. If he doesn't like what they do with it, isn't that kind of too bad for him?
Did you not even read what you quoted?
Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's about PR, not about legality.
Old 05-02-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I understand pimping George out to the fans, but dont most fans hate him now?
Old 05-02-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck
I understand pimping George out to the fans, but dont most fans hate him now?
I don't have any numbers, but I doubt it. There's a group of fans that hate the prequels, and a smaller group of fans that hate that he's hidden away the original versions of the original trilogy. However, a lot of fans still like him, as evidenced by his popularity at the recent convention.

Also, it may depend on whom you classify as "fans," but there's tons of people that like the Star Wars movies, but don't obsess about the finer details, and don't follow much of the behind-the-scenes stuff and obsessive nit-picking. These people liked the prequels well enough, and shrug off the changes to the original trilogy. They know George Lucas made Star Wars, but that's about it. They may not even be aware he's no longer directly involved.

However, if new sites ran the headline "Creator of Star Wars upset about changes Disney made to his films," you'd have a lot of people giving Disney the side-eye. It's just not good press. Disney wants to keep the story around the Star Wars films positive. Pissing off George isn't worth it.

Again, though, this doesn't necessarily count out the release of the original versions of the original trilogy, provided it's done in a way that doesn't upset George too much. Releasing them as "alternate cuts" or "bonuses" to a release that frame's George's cuts as the default option could mollify him.
Old 05-02-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I think most fans still respect Lucas for the OT.

Episode IX is out May 2019 so no doubt a 9-movie set iwll be released in Fall 2019. I imagine that the first six will have the Fox logo & fanfare. I'd be curious if they'd remaster the OT - even just the SEs - for that set. I mean, it'd be eight years after the first blu-ray release in 2011.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.