Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars Saga (all six films) CONFIRMED for "not too distant future"

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Steve Sansweet at C2E2 just confirmed that a Blu-Ray release of all six films is in the "not too distant" future.

http://www.facebook.com/forcecast/posts/114930448530975
Old 04-17-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Wars Saga (all six films) CONFIRMED for "not too distant future"

What does that mean? A year? Three? Eight?
Old 04-17-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
Last time they teased that, we got the trilogy on DVD by the end of the year.
Old 04-17-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Last time they teased that, we got the trilogy on DVD by the end of the year.
That might be a bit optimistic, but it would be sweet to see it by Christmastime 2011.
Old 04-17-10, 02:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Who is that?

And I'll believe it when I see them. Considering how low sales are for Blu-ray right now compared to what DVD was in 2004 (when originally released), Lucas would either have to be desperate for money or an idiot to release them. Or he just see the decline in physical media happening a hell of a lot quicker than expected.
Old 04-17-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Who is that?

And I'll believe it when I see them. Considering how low sales are for Blu-ray right now compared to what DVD was in 2004 (when originally released), Lucas would either have to be desperate for money or an idiot to release them. Or he just see the decline in physical media happening a hell of a lot quicker than expected.
Steve Sansweet is Lucas' biggest PR guy. All I know, is the last time anyone asked about the movies on Blu-Ray, the response was that it was a project for the future.
Old 04-17-10, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Steve Sansweet is Lucas' biggest PR guy. All I know, is the last time anyone asked about the movies on Blu-Ray, the response was that it was a project for the future.
So basically, the same thing he said this time
Old 04-17-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

That might be a bit optimistic, but it would be sweet to see it by Christmastime 2011.
Thats about what I'm thinking - Indy this yr, SW next yr. Hard to imagine they'd release them the same yr.
Old 04-17-10, 02:58 PM
Suspended

Wonder if he saw the pathetic sales figures for the LOTR set yet.

I just don't see Star Wars happening until at least 2012. There are not enough players in people homes, there are not enough HDTVs (or 3DTVs if he is still going to convert them) and physical media is way down. It just seems like a silly time to bring them to HD. But eh, I'll enjoy my HD rips which look pretty darn good.
Old 04-17-10, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Artman
Thats about what I'm thinking - Indy this yr, SW next yr. Hard to imagine they'd release them the same yr.
Indy's BD will come out almost 2 years after they were originally scheduled FWIW.
Old 04-17-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As long as it'll take Lucas to re-edit them into "new" versions of his "original" vision.
Old 04-17-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A short time ago the response was something like; "in the very near future, within the next few years", like that was some sort of revelation. I emailed the guy who did the interview and basically chewed him out for announcing something that was basically not newsworthy. I'm sure he won't hold back like he did for the Original series but don't holf your breath.

It's been so long since I've seen any of these movies it'll be a non-event for me anyway.
Old 04-17-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

It's "pathetic" sales figures are probably what put them on the fast-track.
Old 04-17-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just don't see Star Wars happening until at least 2012. There are not enough players in people homes, there are not enough HDTVs (or 3DTVs if he is still going to convert them) and physical media is way down. It just seems like a silly time to bring them to HD. But eh, I'll enjoy my HD rips which look pretty darn good.
You're assuming it's going to get better? Downloads are only going to be even more popular in the future. If sales are down now, I can't see them creeping back up.
Old 04-17-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I think that's at least partially due to the fact that people are starting to wise up about all the double-dips that occur, especially fans of huge blockbusters like LOTR and SW. Folks know a better release is coming; eventually, some figure out "hey, I'll save money in the end if I hold out for awhile...."
Exactly. Who wants overpriced bare bones theatrical versions when we already have the Extended cuts on DVD? That's a step backwards and consumers are hip to it.

I'm really surprised at how many people are getting Avatar this week when they can just wait a few months for a better version.
Old 04-17-10, 04:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by slop101

It was estimated that it sold 150k it's first week. That's pretty damn bad for one of the biggest Trilogies of all time coupled with the PS3 demographic. Hopefully it won't shy Warner away.
Old 04-17-10, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Again what exactly happened to the "original" trilogy? The one sans new stuff. I grew up w/ the new editions aka Han shoots first etc. And it just doesn't fit right w/ what's on the actual film. All the editions look odd w/ Lucas' add-ons. Though there are some neat things I don't mind but...I'd like to see the ORIGINAL non new edition of Star Wars in HD. I'd like to see what I have never seen.
Old 04-17-10, 05:29 PM

The *only* reason I didn't purchase the LOTR set was due to the content. These aren't the LOTR films that I want.

This release *should* have included:
* The Theatrical Editions and the Extended Editions.
* All of the supplements which have already been released via the three previous DVD releases. In standard def, they would have easily fit on one BD-50.

I would have easily paid a street price of $99 for such a package.

Instead, we got only the Theatrical editions along with essentially the same DVD supplement discs which were included with the DVD Theatrical releases ... and for a "street price" of around $65.

That's lame to the extreme and more than explains the lackluster sales figures.

Now if the anticipated Indy Jones BD release in November is greeted with similar lackluster sales, *then* you would have reason to doubt the validity of a November 2011 Star Wars release. (BTW, the 2011 release *better* include good quality iterations of the "Original" original Star Wars Trilogy!)

Last edited by Joseph B; 04-17-10 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-17-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Come on, how do you not know who Steve Sansweet is? Anyone in the SW fan community knows who he is
Old 04-17-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Maybe it would be released on Blu-ray sooner so that there will be some time between the standard and 3D releases.
Old 04-17-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would think that putting out an all-new box set of all 6 SW films on Blu-ray with BD-exclusive extras and such would entice more people to buy players.
Old 04-17-10, 06:01 PM

April 17, 2010 - Today in the IGN Theater at the Chicago Comics and Entertainment Expo (C2E2), Lucasfilm Director of Fan Relations Steve Sansweet revealed anticipated information about the Star Wars films coming to Blu-ray.

"We have been at work for a couple of years working on—I won't call it the Ultimate Set because we keep finding stuff—but, a very full set of all six movies on Blu-ray with lots of extra material. We're finding all kinds of scenes from dailies that have never been seen before. Beyond all of those things that you know about… there are some real treasures."

When will the set come out? Sansweet says, "We're not ready to announce exactly when it's coming out, but it won't be in the too distant future."
http://uk.bluray.ign.com/articles/108/1084415p1.html

Sounds cool. I don't care what anyone says, I love all six movies. I'll buy this day and date.
Old 04-17-10, 06:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

"Not too distant future" is the same as not confirming them that all.

All I care about is the original UN-EDITED trilogy on BD in OAR.
Old 04-17-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101

The biggest selling release of the week is the Lord of the Rings - The Theatrical Trilogy on Blu-ray

slop101, I love how you only pull the above qoute from the article you listed.
I took a look at it for reference and noticed the very 1st sentence before what you listed was this:

"There is not a single first-run wide release on this week's list. The biggest new release of the week is Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, which made less than $2 million in theaters."

WOW, it really had some tough competition to be the #1 release last week
Old 04-17-10, 06:15 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Joseph B
The *only* reason I didn't purchase the LOTR set was due to the content. These aren't the LOTR films that I want.

This release *should* have included:
* The Theatrical Editions and the Extended Editions.
* All of the supplements which have already been released via the three previous DVD releases. In standard def, they would have easily fit on one BD-50.

I would have easily paid a street price of $99 for such a package.

Instead, we got only the Theatrical editions along with essentially the same DVD supplement discs which were included with the DVD Theatrical releases ... and for a "street price" of around $65.

That's lame to the extreme and more than explains the lackluster sales figures.

Now if the anticipated Indy Jones BD release in November is greeted with similar lackluster sales, *then* you would have reason to doubt the validity of a November 2011 Star Wars release. (BTW, the 2011 release *better* include good quality iterations of the "Original" original Star Wars Trilogy!)
I initially wasn't going to get the set - but I paid only $55 for it. I sold the Digital Copies for $15 and sold my original LOTR movies for another $20. So $20 out of pocket for all 3 films on Blu-ray seemed like a real bargain to me. I won't be getting the EE's because frankly I don't care enough about the films (I still have never seen them...I know, I know). I do think Warner was incredibly cheap by tossing in the DVDs instead of BD25s, but this was merely a test by them to feel out the market. The Digital Copies will go away soon enough (the 6 disc set has a unique UPC).

If the Indy set has poor sales (and it won't in Q4 - at least to us. What Paramount expects to sell I don't know), I can see Paramount once again going back into it's shell like they did with The Godfather and what they might do with The African Queen poor sales (IMO).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.