Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Red Cliff Blu ray which edition?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Red Cliff Blu ray which edition?

Old 03-30-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts
Re: Red Cliff Blu ray which edition?

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Speaking of, every time I saw Zhuge Liang on screen I kept thinking he's like an Asian Orlando Bloom. Just seemed to have a lot of the facial stuff going on.
Really? I don't think Takeshi Kaneshiro looks anything like Orlando Bloom.

I can't get the music of this movie out of my head (particularly the main opening theme). I'm gonna have to buy the score CD as well.
Old 03-31-10, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Well now that I am seeing the positive reviews, I will be choosing the US release over the UK release due to the better special features.
Old 03-31-10, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm really happy to see my 1st Blu-Ray foreign film...and it being this film..well...it's fucking awesome. This is exactly how'd I'd imagine ate a Chinese epic myth.
Old 03-31-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Really? I don't think Takeshi Kaneshiro looks anything like Orlando Bloom.

I can't get the music of this movie out of my head (particularly the main opening theme). I'm gonna have to buy the score CD as well.
Not like they're twins - it's just something in his presence and facial expressions that remind me of Legolas.
Old 03-31-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bit and ordered the Magnolia 2-Disc BD set from Amazon. This is coming out in Canada on April 13, but the runtime Amazon has listed for the 4/13 release is 282 minutes. The Magnolia version is listed with a runtime of 288 minutes. I'm not sure if this is a misprint or if there really is 6 minutes cut from the Canadian domestic release ...
Old 03-31-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Perhaps the Canadian release ommits the horse falls like the UK release?

I've also read that the UK version has burned-in subtitles rather than player-generated subtitles.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-31-10 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin
I bit and ordered the Magnolia 2-Disc BD set from Amazon. This is coming out in Canada on April 13, but the runtime Amazon has listed for the 4/13 release is 282 minutes. The Magnolia version is listed with a runtime of 288 minutes. I'm not sure if this is a misprint or if there really is 6 minutes cut from the Canadian domestic release ...
I haven't watched my Canadian copy yet but I can tell you that it's two discs and the box cover says 288 minutes, not 282.
Old 04-14-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by m_burlock
I haven't watched my Canadian copy yet but I can tell you that it's two discs and the box cover says 288 minutes, not 282.
I have ended up with the Canadian release instead (long story). The back of the box looks to have the same specs as the Magnolia release (save for French subtitles instead of Spanish). Provided there are no misprints in the specs, it looks like all the Special Features on each disc are an exact match for the Magnolia release as well.

I haven't opened my copy yet. Just out of curiosity, do both discs have the same disc art (basically the image of the 3 lead actors from the cover), and are there trailers for Warlords, etc. that start of the discs?
Old 04-14-10, 02:38 PM
Banned

Yes, the US Magnet has all that.
Old 04-14-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Yes, the US Magnet has all that.
Sorry, guess I should have clarified. I've seen that in the US release. I was just wondering if the same was true of the Canadian release. Thanks anyway!
Old 04-14-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

If anyone's interested in my HK discs (7.1 lossless) let me know. First has the watermark but personally I didn't find it to be a big deal.
Old 04-14-10, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yavin
Sorry, guess I should have clarified. I've seen that in the US release. I was just wondering if the same was true of the Canadian release. Thanks anyway!
Ah....well in that case....I've no idea. haha.
Old 04-15-10, 10:02 AM

Up here in canada, I have found that version of Red Cliff Not mentioned anywhere else, it is the Red Cliff Extended Cut.

I have found it on amazon.ca , I can't link it here as I have not posted enough. It's the one they have listed at 282 minutes, but everyone here says it is 288 minutes? Have you guys watched it yet, and if so, is it split in two parts?

It is the only version I can find for sale at a local store, I just want to be sure this is the definitive version before I pick it up.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by joeltopia; 04-15-10 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-15-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by joeltopia
Up here in canada, I have found that version of Red Cliff Not mentioned anywhere else, it is the Red Cliff Extended Cut.

I have found it on amazon.ca , I can't link it here as I have not posted enough. It's the one they have listed at 282 minutes, but everyone here says it is 288 minutes? Have you guys watched it yet, and if so, is it split in two parts?

It is the only version I can find for sale at a local store, I just want to be sure this is the definitive version before I pick it up.

This one? If so, it's actually 288 minutes.
http://www.amazon.ca/Red-Cliff-Exten...1387352&sr=1-1
Old 04-16-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has anyone watched the Canadian E1 release of the original cut and confirm that it is indeed the same 288 minute total version as the US Magnolia release (and that the only other difference is the substitution of French subtitles for Spanish subtitles on the main feature(s))?
Old 04-21-10, 09:44 AM

Okay, Finally watched the Canadian Blu Ray of Red Cliff, labeled the Extended Version and listed under 286 minutes on amazon.

I can confirm that is is 288 Minutes, split on two Blu-Rays. 142 minutes on one, and 146 minutes on the other. Both Parts are exactly the same as the Blu Ray Version Labeled Parts 1 and 2. Nothing seems to be missing, Even all the violence to the horses appears to remain. I still do not know why there is a $15 difference between the two blu-rays though.

Not having seen the magnolia release from the US, I cannot say if it is the same, nor did I watch the trailers, so I don't know if the Warlords preview is on it, but the art on the discs is the same as the box, The 3 characters. The Blu-Ray discs are labeled as Disc 1 and Disc 2. The first Disc being Red Cliff part 1 in it's entirety, and the 2nd disc being Red Cliff Part 2 in it's entirety. There are a few special features on it as well, I can't quite recall what they are though.

I hope that helps.
Old 04-21-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Thanks, it sounds like it's pretty much identical, which is what I was expecting.
Old 04-19-17, 09:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

so i just bought this, but how is it? almost 5 hours? is it mesmerizing throughout? does it have any of the John Woo style of his grittier The Killer, Hard Boiled, etc...?
Old 04-19-17, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
so i just bought this, but how is it? almost 5 hours? is it mesmerizing throughout? does it have any of the John Woo style of his grittier The Killer, Hard Boiled, etc...?
Watch it and you tell us.
Old 04-19-17, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Great movie! I split it up into the two parts when I watched it to make it a bit more manageable. With the exception of being taken out of the movie here and there due to CGI blood, its mesmerizing throughout.
Old 04-19-17, 09:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Great movie! I split it up into the two parts when I watched it to make it a bit more manageable. With the exception of being taken out of the movie here and there due to CGI blood, its mesmerizing throughout.
nice. the reviews make it sound epic. dig into any of the extras? that docu seems daunting at like 2:30...
Old 04-19-17, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

^ No, I bought the blu-ray and watched the movie several years ago. It don't think I ever checked out any of the extras so I can't comment on them. I'll have to pop the disc back in soon and give it another spin.