Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Check your Digital Copies to see if they've expired

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Check your Digital Copies to see if they've expired

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Check your Digital Copies to see if they've expired

Just tried my digital copy of Batman '89 and it didn't work.
Old 01-02-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

All the talk in another thread of digital copies made me go thru my collection and pull all of them out since I have no use for a digital copy.

My question is in regards to the expiration date on these. I wanted to sell them on ebay or whatever but is there a way to see if the code is still good on the expired ones (since it has been reported that many have been extended) but not actually use the code?

I have never even attempted to use a digital code so I have no clue and don't want to attempt to check them and then it actually uses them. Also, what about the ones that say you need the disc but have a code accompanying them? Do you still have to have that code even with the disc or is the code and disc two different ways to download them?
Old 01-02-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
All the talk in another thread of digital copies made me go thru my collection and pull all of them out since I have no use for a digital copy.

My question is in regards to the expiration date on these. I wanted to sell them on ebay or whatever but is there a way to see if the code is still good on the expired ones (since it has been reported that many have been extended) but not actually use the code?

I have never even attempted to use a digital code so I have no clue and don't want to attempt to check them and then it actually uses them. Also, what about the ones that say you need the disc but have a code accompanying them? Do you still have to have that code even with the disc or is the code and disc two different ways to download them?
I haven't redeemed many of my recent digital copies (by "recent," I mean over the last year or so), but I did a lot before then, and I don't think there's any way to see if they're expired other than to redeem them (maybe google it). And yes, the physical disc is required, especially when there's a dedicated "coaster" disc (because that's what it becomes after the copy has been redeemed) in the package. The coaster disc has generally been replaced by a DVD/digital copy disc (making a two-disc combo rather than the three that was prevalent when the digital copy bundle was first launched). The reason I once heard from a studio sales rep was that the download was much faster from a physical disc, especially if people had slow connections (and I agree that there was a big time difference in the cases where I was downloading online, even from iTunes). Depending on when you got your disc, a lot of times the download process has been replaced by a code for UV or a similar service, which is convenient in a number of ways. Just like how people are shedding their physical copies, there seems to be less and less value now with having a digital copy actually residing on your computer unless you need it on a device for traveling or something like that.
Old 01-02-15, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

Older releases by the studios had required a disc and a digital copy insert to transfer the movie to your PC through a service like iTunes. Disney practiced this later than anyone, but most studios phased this out by the end of 2012. Now it should just be an insert.

Releases from WB before 2011 (when Warner transitoned from their in-house DC service to UltraViolet) had their expiration dates extended until January 1, 2017. All of the codes at this point would be considered "dead", but they have a ticketing system on their Digital Copy Support website that allows you to request a new one. They've made it a complicated process, and it's to the point that it's not worth the effort.

The only studio I've seen that has their digital copy codes work well-after the expiration date is Universal. However, if the code is for some reason invalid, they will issue you a new one if you put a ticket through their DC support system. I've had a few older Fox titles that came with expired codes and you can just call up their 1-800 # and they'll issue one over the phone.

People won't go through this kind of effort, I can't imagine. It would be more of a headache if you tried unloading these on eBay because the average person will just see the codes as expired and won't know to do all of this legwork.

Expired UltraViolet codes are just expired. I've not found a way to get new ones generated. I had a blank insert in a BD a few months ago and it took a lot of finger-pointing between UV and Flixster before I could get a new code generated.
Old 01-02-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 01-04-15, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, ebay took my auctions down for the three auctions that I did with the ultraviolet codes in lots. I have to plead ignorance as I did not realize selling these codes was against ebay's rules? Any places to sell or trade them? I have a few like the Friday The 13th collection that are worth at least a little something.

What have you guys done with them if you didn't use them? I have no need for them as I NEVER watch movies on my computer, tablet or phone nor does anyone in my family. I don't have any friends that do it either (I know...I am old school at 42 but everyone else around me seems to be as well...old that is ).
Old 01-04-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can sell them here or on bluray.com
Old 01-04-15, 12:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Sell them here on dvdtalk.
Old 01-04-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How do you pay? Just use PayPal for P2P?
Old 01-04-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

D'oh. Headslap!

It's been so long since I have traded movies or games here that I honestly forgot about that.
Old 01-05-15, 04:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I was selling my codes on eBay and was surprised how much I was getting. I was getting about $8 for new releases. Then I listed Game of Thrones Season 3 and someone or HBO reported it. eBay threatened to suspend my account if I listed Ultraviolet codes again. Not sure how long the suspension would be.
Old 01-06-15, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan26
I was selling my codes on eBay and was surprised how much I was getting. I was getting about $8 for new releases. Then I listed Game of Thrones Season 3 and someone or HBO reported it. eBay threatened to suspend my account if I listed Ultraviolet codes again. Not sure how long the suspension would be.
Probably forever.
Old 01-06-15, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Giving everyone a head's up, it does appear when we hit 2015 that Universal expired some of their older codes. You can contact their customer service for a replacement in most cases, but it's probably worth noting for sellers.
Old 01-08-15, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To celebrate my new digital code trading post, here are a few expired ones.

Let me know if you try them and they do or do not work. First come, first serve:

The Thing (2011 I believe) - www.universaldigitalcopy.com/thething - FT6XM4MYPNLK - says it expired 6-27-12 (UV and digital copy)

Born On The Fourth Of July - www.universaldigitalcopy.com/fourthofjuly - YTLETTF6WFML - says it expired 12-31-13 (digital copy)

Sinister - www.movieredeem.com - JJ7JJ3436PRA (digital copy and UV) - says may not be valid after 2-19-14

Last edited by Spiderbite; 01-08-15 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-08-15, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The one for Sinister worked. Odd.
Old 01-08-15, 09:18 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

In my experience...even if the code say it is expired, they still work. Have not run into one that hasn't yet.
Old 01-08-15, 09:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

The first two just worked for me, thanks Spiderbite! To also celebrate, I'll check out your post and actually pay you for something.
Old 01-08-15, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The one for Sinister worked. Odd.
Originally Posted by Trevor
The first two just worked for me, thanks Spiderbite! To also celebrate, I'll check out your post and actually pay you for something.
Sweet! I am glad you guys could use them! I have a few other "expired" ones that I will throw up as well later on. Even if they haven't truly expired, I hate to list something on my sale list that says it has.
Old 01-14-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another dumb digital copy question: I have several "digital" copies that came with a disc and the codes appear to be expired. Can someone try to use these codes and still get a copy or do you have to have that disc to get it no matter what? For example - Star Trek (2009), AVP Requiem, Predators, Tron Legacy and Prometheus.

Then I have two discs that didn't come with codes at all - Pandorum and Dead Space: Downfall. Can those be reused as much as you want as long as you have disc?

Just curious.

And to celebrate my newly revised price list (check the link in my sig), here a few more expired codes that will hopefully work for you fellas. Be sure to post that you used them or if they worked our not. Thanks!

Monty Python And The Holy Grail - expired 3-20-14 - www.sonypictures.com/uv/holygrail - MPNY0QP7PZW48JN8
Spider-man (2002) - expired 6-12-14 - sonypictures.com/uvredeem - S1N5Z8KHKE0CXZM1
Spider-man 2 - expired 6-12-14 - sonypictures.com/uvredeem - S2NE63NK0NBD7UQ6
Spider-man 3 - expired 6-12-14 - sonypictures.com/uvredeem - S3NBBHRFHY1HVTR7

Last edited by Spiderbite; 01-14-15 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-14-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Thanks, Spiderbite! I tried Holy Grail in iTunes and it said the code wasn't valid. I had to enter it manually so someone else could try copy-pasting if they want, in case I made an error.
Old 01-14-15, 09:45 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Having the physical disc to use the codes is an iTunes thing. For UV, as long as you have the code you can use it. No disc required.
Old 01-14-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Thanks, Spiderbite! I tried Holy Grail in iTunes and it said the code wasn't valid. I had to enter it manually so someone else could try copy-pasting if they want, in case I made an error.
Try it under the link I gave for the spider-man redemptions. The code may work that way. I just tried the link I gave that was on the sheet for Holy Grail and the link is no longer valid.
Old 01-14-15, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Grail worked for me.
Old 01-14-15, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spider-Man 3 worked for me on Vudu. Thanks, Spiderbite!
Old 02-23-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I have a question about the digital copies for the HBO series: True Blood, Game of Thrones and True Detective.

I have redeemed the iTunes version of the Digital copies but would others be able to use the digital copies for the other providers?

I have True Blood S1-5
Game of Thrones S2-4
True Detective S1

If others could redeem them, I might sell them for cheap in the Trading Forum.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.