Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

I'm a bit surprised at that given some of the titles mentioned. I guess if they do them this way and keep the price lower I don't mind. I figured these would be an offshoot line like their Scream Factory titles.
Old 05-04-16, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Why bother with *another* edition of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS '78 when an excellent BD already exists... I very much doubt Shout's encode will even come close to the quality of the one already on the market.

Give us BODY SNATCHERS from 1993 instead, give us a better encode of the '56 version, but do not grace us with a needless re-release of the '78 version!
Old 05-04-16, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree but since '56 is with Olive and '93 is with WB the odds of that happening are nil.

They seem to be releasing old MGM CE DVDs, which would mean we can expect new editions of Child's Play (already semi-confirmed) and possibly Last House on the Left, which I highly doubt could beat out currently available editions.
Old 05-05-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Why bother with *another* edition of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS '78 when an excellent BD already exists... I very much doubt Shout's encode will even come close to the quality of the one already on the market.
It would at least give them an opportunity to include the (admittedly so-so) commentary that was left off of MGM's Blu-ray for no good reason. Arrow included it on the U.K edition, as well as re-using all the bonus features from the U.S. disc and adding a few substantial supplements of their own. It would be nice if Shout could at least equal that version.
Old 05-05-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah, yes. Back when MGM would put most supplements on the BD but leave commentaries on the DVD included in the package. So far they've been porting over all previous features, and then some, for MGM titles, so I'd say it's a lock this'll have everything and then some. It won't, however, have any of the extras Arrow created. Duh.
Old 05-05-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
It won't, however, have any of the extras Arrow created. Duh.
Wasn't assuming it would, but Shout could still equal it in terms of their own ability to produce quality extras. A new 'Horror's Hallowed Ground' piece would be good for starters, but failing that I'm sure they could cobble together something new of interest.
Old 05-19-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

In case anyone is interested in the Manhunter Collector's Edition, Best Buy will have this in store on release date for $19.99.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/manhunte...&skuId=5023001
Old 05-19-16, 05:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
why bother with *another* edition of invasion of the body snatchers '78 when an excellent bd already exists... I very much doubt shout's encode will even come close to the quality of the one already on the market.

Give us body snatchers from 1993 instead, give us a better encode of the '56 version, but do not grace us with a needless re-release of the '78 version!

+1
Old 05-19-16, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
In case anyone is interested in the Manhunter Collector's Edition, Best Buy will have this in store on release date for $19.99.
That's cool. Since I'll be swinging by to pick up The 'Burbs anyway, I just might do that.
Old 05-21-16, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Rob Lowe was better than expected in this early 90s thriller with James Spader. I had never caught Bad Influence before this BD, which reminded me of Brian De Palma's work.

http://doblu.com/2016/05/16/bad-infl...lu-ray-review/
Old 05-22-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/manhunte...&skuId=5023001
I don't know if it is correct but it says that it includes a free 10 dollar gift card.
Old 05-23-16, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I don't know if it is correct but it says that it includes a free 10 dollar gift card.
I gave this a shot via in-store pickup. The gift card does not show in the cart, or on the receipt, but I'll be mentioning it to them when I pick it up.
Old 05-23-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I gave this a shot via in-store pickup. The gift card does not show in the cart, or on the receipt, but I'll be mentioning it to them when I pick it up.
I ordered it to ship. Will see if it comes with it. Let me know what happens in your case. Regardless, 20 bucks is not a bad deal.
Old 05-23-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I'm just not seeing that. I clicked on a $10 gift card mention below the listing and it takes to a page of titles, but no mention of a gift card. The last item I ordered at Best Buy that came with a gift card had an explanation of the reward and then listed it separately on the order when I placed it.
Old 05-23-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The $10 gift card is when you buy $50 worth of eligible movies. Once you have $50 worth, add a $10 gift card to your cart and it should show up as $0.
Old 05-23-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
The $10 gift card is when you buy $50 worth of eligible movies. Once you have $50 worth, add a $10 gift card to your cart and it should show up as $0.
Hmmmm. It never said anything about that when you clicked on the offer under Manhunter.
Old 05-23-16, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, when you click on "Free $10 Gift Card: Find Out How," it takes you to 114,725 qualifying movies. So I guess all of those come with $10 gift cards too
Old 05-25-16, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ugh! I think I found an issue with the Manhunter Collector's Edition. There is a scene missing in the DC (the HD and SD versions) on disc 2. Right before Will Graham sees Dr. Lector, Graham meets with Dr. Chilton and he tries to get some insight on Hannibal. This scene is completely missing from Shout Factory's CE.

Here is the scene in question

Last edited by Ringmaster; 05-25-16 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was that scene in the Divamax Director's Cut DVD?
Old 05-25-16, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know about the Divimax version, but it was in the Anchor Bay 2-disc Limited Edition

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1299
Old 05-25-16, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I have seen it's been noted that the Anchor Bay DC was not used for this new version. There will be scenes that were on that terrible quality DVD that are not on this new DC by Scream. I believe that was one of the scenes noted as not being included. So in that case, not an error.
Old 05-25-16, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went through the entire DC and the Chilton scene was the only one missing. It sounds like an oversight by Shout because the DC inserts are just as good(bad) as the YouTube clip.

UPDATE: So after scouring through the net, it turns out the scene was omitted in the Divimax DVD as it was personally overseen by Mann and is considered the "preferred" Director's Cut. It's a shame it wasn't added as a deleted scene on the Blu Ray or reinstated in the DC. The Theatrical Cut is still the way to go IMO but there's some good things in the DC.

Last edited by Ringmaster; 05-25-16 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IUPDATE: So after scouring through the net, it turns out the scene was omitted in the Divimax DVD as it was personally overseen by Mann and is considered the "preferred" Director's Cut. It's a shame it wasn't added as a deleted scene on the Blu Ray or reinstated in the DC. The Theatrical Cut is still the way to go IMO but there's some good things in the DC.
Exactly what I have been trying to get across. Wasn't an error. And yes, would have been cool to have it as a deleted scene. I guess there is a bunch stills from other scenes also not included in this Scream set.
Old 05-26-16, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Got my Manhunter BD yesterday.

Watched the 18 minute interview with William Petersen. It's a really good interview. Hope those of you who purchased the disc will actually make the time to actually watch the extras. I mean that's IMO one of the main incentives to get the Shout/Scream Factory discs.

Petersen recalls quite a bit from the production of the movie in detail. He mentioned this was his 2nd movie after To Live and Die in LA. He also mentioned that he and Tom Noonan (Dollarhyde) never spoke during filming and actually didn't interact until they wrapped. He was told by the Producers not to talk to him so he could stay focused in character.
Old 05-26-16, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Yeah, that new interview with Petersen was great. I always appreciate when the stars of these movies come back and at least provide one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.