Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-16, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,728 Likes on 1,884 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

The list gets a really big *meh* from me. Again.

Don't really feel the need to upgrade my Bubba Ho-Tep DVD I got at Big Lots for $3 to a blu-ray.

And Willard and Ben, and Poltergeist II and III, should have been double features. PIII is a dud that doesn't deserve its own release.

I just can't imagine paying $30 (MSRP, though closer to $20 at retail) for most of these.

It's too bad they can't get ahold of some titles from other studios; I'd love to seem them tackle stuff like Salem's Lot, Fire in the Sky, Dead Zone, ROTLD 3, and Creepshow.
Old 07-23-16, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

The House that Screamed & Willard are the highlight of the announcements as I already knew that Dead Ringers was coming and I already own the Arrow Rabid.

I highly recommend The House that Screamed, one of the best Spanish horrors of all time.
Old 07-23-16, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I'm only really excited about Dead Ringers but it depends on what transfer is being used.

Last edited by asianxcore; 07-23-16 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-23-16, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I'm truly glad there's a company like Shout/Scream keeping Bluray alive with releases like these but nothing for me here. The only thing I've picked up is Army of Darkness and I'm mildly interested in Manhunter down the road.

Last edited by milo bloom; 07-25-16 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-23-16, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all in for "Willard," "Ben" and "Dreamscape." I have no desire to upgrade the "Poltergeist" sequels or "To Live and Die in LA." Since "Dreamscape" was previously available via Image Entertainment, I am more confident than ever that the extremely hard-to-find, "Apt Pupil" will be rereleased as well. Two other films once distributed via Image Entertainment, "Short Circuit 1 & 2" will likely be reissued as well. I just scored copies of both "Short Circuit" films on the cheap but the original is 1080i and might be a good candidate for improved picture and sound.
Old 07-23-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scream is definitely getting to the point where they are re-releasing too many titles with already worthy BD releases. Poltergeist II is a good example. I will not be double dipping on that one.

But I'm in for Dead Ringers if done well. I figured (hoped) criterion would be doing that one again, but oh well...

Possibly Dreamscape too. The DVD I have of that is pretty weak.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 07-23-16 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-23-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Scream is defiantly getting to the point where they are re-releasing too many titles with already worthy BD releases. Poltergeist II is a good example. I will not be double dipping on that one.
Scream has hit a wall. They only really have access to the Universal and MGM libraries, and they've already mined those about as far as they can go. So now they're double-dipping on stuff that's already on blu-ray like Mad Max, The Thing, Army of Darkness, Carrie, Return of the Living Dead, etc.

If only they Warners, Paramount, and Lions Gate would allow them to license horror and genre films from their libraries (that they seem to have zero interest in releasing), then we could get some pretty awesome stuff. But those studios would rather sit on their libraries than allow a licensor to release and profit from their films.
Old 07-24-16, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Lionsgate is sitting on hundreds of needed horror movies. Olive Films has gotten a number of Paramount titles.
Old 07-24-16, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Lionsgate is sitting on hundreds of needed horror movies. Olive Films has gotten a number of Paramount titles.
Whatever the deal is, Olive only has access to Paramount titles that Paramount has never released themselves. Olive also has access to Lionsgate property. Lionsgate now owns the Republic library and the films previously released on Artisan home video.
Old 07-24-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I'm truly glad there's a company like Shout/Scream keeping Bluray alive with releases like these by nothing for me here. The only thing I've picked up is Army of Darkness and I'm mildly interested in Manhunter down the road.
I'm glad Shout!/Scream exists too, because we still need a company that focuses on releasing older horror/sci-fi films, but that list got a pretty big "meh" from me as well (as did their 2015 list). I think Scream hit their peak with me when they released the Halloween boxset. Since then, they haven't really released anything I can say I was excited about. Even the Army of Darkness set, while I was pleasantly surprised, I wasn't "excited."
Old 07-24-16, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Scream has hit a wall. They only really have access to the Universal and MGM libraries.
No more Anchor Bay libraries as wel?
Old 07-24-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
No more Anchor Bay libraries as wel?
I don't think Anchor Bay actually owns any films in it's library; they're all licensed from studios. Anchor Bay is primarily a distributor, like Shout Factory itself. The way Shout Factory gets titles formally released by Anchor Bay is to license them from the original studio.
Old 07-24-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Shout could've killed it with a complete Phantasm box set announcement. They need something major like that to get fans excited.

The SDCC list was underwhelming but I am still happy to see some of those titles hitting BD. Also, since I review all their titles I never pay for any, so I don't feel like I should be complaining.
Old 07-24-16, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I don't think Anchor Bay actually owns any films in it's library; they're all licensed from studios. Anchor Bay is primarily a distributor, like Shout Factory itself. The way Shout Factory gets titles formally released by Anchor Bay is to license them from the original studio.
Yeah, fifteen or so years ago Anchor Bay was the big horror label with Hammer titles, Argento, Fulci, Day and Dawn, etc.

They seem to actually own Halloween 1, 4, and 5 or at least have a long-term contract with the owners (Compass? The Akkad estate?) though, as they've been releasing those for the past twenty years, even after they stopped doing old horror flicks.
Old 07-24-16, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Well, paradoxically, this current crop of announced releases from Scream has me pretty excited, specifically for Ben and Willard, which were never even released on DVD as far as I know.

We may actually get a decent encode of Black Christmas finally, after having suffered for years with the abominable bit-starved 11 Gig encode of the picture we were "graced' with years ago.

House the Screamed and Dead of Winter look very good, and I'll welcome them to the pantheon of 1080p gladly.

Rabid has a very controversial color timing in the Arrow release, although the encode is top-notch as per Arrow's usual MO. Hopefully, the Shout release will restore the original, untinkered-with color timing. Please, please, make it so! I'd even make the sacrifice of a lesser encode in order to see the film in HiDef with its theatrical color-timing from 1977!

The other retreads are an easy SKIP for me, and also for many others it seems. The vaults have been mined indeed. Wish more studios would open their vaults. What are the sleeping on??? Why not get the films out there?
Old 07-24-16, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Just Dead Ringers. I have the Arrow Films Rabid version. To Live and Die in L.A., too.
Old 07-25-16, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am happy that Willard and Ben are being released, but I don't understand how they merit a full release, yet deathstalker/deathstalker II is a limited. I think they'll go the way of Q the Winged serpent and will be available for under $10 when sales are less than expected.
Old 07-25-16, 12:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

As far as all those MGM re-releases go, someone listed the ones that are left that could be done and it's only a few: Misery, Silence of the Lambs, Killer Klowns... I forget the rest. With those out of the way it'll be interesting to see what comes next. I keep hoping Paramount comes to the table, they've got the horror titles I want the most.
Old 07-25-16, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I'm in for Dreamscape and To Live and Die in LA

Dreamscape was a guilty pleasure back in the 80's. Hopefully they can get Dennis Quaid and Kate Capshaw to participate in any featurettes. I have the Image Entertainment DVD that I got used years ago and the picture can definitely use an upgrade.

I own To Live and Die in LA on DVD (SE version) and it's one of my favorite 80's action thrillers. I'd be game for finally upgrading it. Plus, Shout did an excellent job with Manhunter recently and most importantly they got William Petersen to participate for an extended interview. I'm sure he will be willing to talk about this movie as well.
Old 07-25-16, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk God

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/death-wi...JOBPj0mHtRS3SA

Death Wish II special edition is only $17.99 at Best Buy. It comes out Tuesday.

Amazon is still sitting at $28 and change.
Old 07-25-16, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Dreamscape has already been released in what is a very mediocre encode and transfer, riddled with EE and DNR, looking very un-filmlike, so I would welcome any improvement that Shout might offer the title. I recently watched it again after 10 or so years, and the film did not hold up as well as I remembered.
Old 07-25-16, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I read awhile back that JJ Abrams is supposedly having his studio restore the original Phantasm for those like me that are interested. SF could also give us Leatherface if they can acquire the rights. I don't see why the other lazy ass owners of titles don't work out a deal with SF to put out the titles that they are not going to get around to doing.
Old 07-26-16, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I read awhile back that JJ Abrams is supposedly having his studio restore the original Phantasm for those like me that are interested. SF could also give us Leatherface if they can acquire the rights. I don't see why the other lazy ass owners of titles don't work out a deal with SF to put out the titles that they are not going to get around to doing.
The restoration is done and was screened back in March at SXSW. No BD release date though, and no release date for Phantasm: Ravager either. It would make sense for them to release the BD if/when P:R gets a theatrical release. Let's hope that's soon!
Old 07-26-16, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by goblin23
The restoration is done and was screened back in March at SXSW. No BD release date though, and no release date for Phantasm: Ravager either. It would make sense for them to release the BD if/when P:R gets a theatrical release. Let's hope that's soon!
Thanks for the info. I am ready to buy it whenever it comes out.
Old 07-26-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Ordered Death Wish II Special Edition off Best Buy's website for an in-store pickup for $17.99 + tax. Cheapest price everywhere including beating the Shout website.

No Best Buys in my area carry it, but fortunately the Best Buy near my work apparently has it, so I bought it for a pickup tomorrow.

The website is apparently backordered 3-4 weeks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.