Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-10, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Factory Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Starcrash actually recycles footage from Battle, so that would be an apt comparison!
STARCRASH is an Italian production and was made a year or two before BATTLE. Footage from BATTLE has shown up in many films including SPACE RAIDERS and in the trailer for FORBIDDEN WORLD.
Old 06-26-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdmac2007
Footage from BATTLE has shown up in.... the trailer for FORBIDDEN WORLD.
Whoops, that must have been what I was thinking of. So the footage was in the trailer but not the actual film? Was this a common practice?
Old 06-28-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeVing
i know this says it's a dvd release....i'm hoping for a BD release the same day.
Cliff (who is over at AVManiacs as well) said there will not be a BD release for the Slumber Party Massacre films.

http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/show...6&postcount=20
http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/show...8&postcount=27

Fine with that because Shout Factory is putting so many Corman films/releases that I never thought would even be considered on Blu-Ray. Also I found Slumber Party Massacre 1-3 Used at a local Mom & Pop Shop a couple years ago for $15 total.
Old 06-28-10, 10:37 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Cliff (who is over at AVManiacs as well) said there will not be a BD release for the Slumber Party Massacre films.

http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/show...6&postcount=20
http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/show...8&postcount=27

Fine with that because Shout Factory is putting so many Corman films/releases that I never thought would even be considered on Blu-Ray. Also I found Slumber Party Massacre 1-3 Used at a local Mom & Pop Shop a couple years ago for $15 total.
Sucks. His writings pretty much echo alot of other indies who are not getting much out of Blu-ray. Real shame.
Old 06-28-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It sucks that studios like Echo Bridge can continue to release stuff and get them stocked everywhere but a studio like Shout or Synapse or Blu Underground cant get there films into places like wal-mart or anything.
Old 06-29-10, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by JJE-187
It sucks that studios like Echo Bridge can continue to release stuff and get them stocked everywhere but a studio like Shout or Synapse or Blu Underground cant get there films into places like wal-mart or anything.
i have never seen any synapse dvds at walmart blue underground maybe one or two titles at best shout i see there tv stuff but none of there movie releases
Old 06-30-10, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by JJE-187
It's all about price. Those Echo Bridge Blu-Rays in many cases are under ten bucks.
I'm not quite sure how one stays in business doing that.... but they do
Old 06-30-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cdmac2007
STARCRASH is an Italian production and was made a year or two before BATTLE. Footage from BATTLE has shown up in many films including SPACE RAIDERS and in the trailer for FORBIDDEN WORLD.
I noticed the spaceship Colby flies in the beginning of Forbidden World is the same ship from Galaxy of Terror. At least parts of it--hard to miss those toggle switches and the two-level bridge design.

Both movies were first time viewing for me and I really enjoyed both of them.
Old 07-06-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVDTalk review of Forbidden World
Old 07-10-10, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Fans of Corman and New World should check out the UK book Mind Warp!: The Fantastic True Story of Roger Corman's New World Pictures. It's selling for ridiculous prices on Amazon, but can be had for £22.34 ($33.59) shipped from Amazon UK. It says 1 to 2 months to arrive, however. You can also purchase a copy autographed by the author directly from Hemlock Books for £28.12 ($42.28) shipped, and they informed me it should only take a week to arrive. It looks like an entertaining read, and pretty extensive at 280 pages. Here's a review.
Thanks for that! Had no idea this was out. It'll make perfect cold weather reading.
Old 07-12-10, 10:40 PM

It looks like 2010 will be the year of Starcrash! Just found this interesting nugget on the Myspace page of writer Richard Dean:

Curved Space - The Adventures of Stella Star is a brand new anthology book featuring short stories based on the plights and plunders of Stella Star, the beautiful heroine of the 1979 cult classic film Starcrash. I am editing the book and contributing a two-part story alongside other written contributions from awesome talents such as Glen Alan Hamilton, Madison Brents, Robin Grenville-Evans and Mark Gascoigne.

Fully endorsed by Starcrash writer/director Luigi Cozzi, this is a tremendously exciting project for me and all the contributors involved. The book will also be featured in the extra features of the upcoming Starcrash DVD / Blu-Ray release.

More details will be forthcoming through a dedicated Curved Space - The Adventures of Stella Star MySpace page and promotional video, both coming soon courtesy of the multi-talented Glen Alan Hamilton.
Book trailer:
<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_eRUDzPxFrU&hl=en_US&fs=1?border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_eRUDzPxFrU&hl=en_US&fs=1?border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Myspace Page
Old 07-13-10, 11:44 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

'Living Deadpan' posted this in covers forum for DVD. shout factory is doing lenticular slipcover. will probably go for Blu as well:

**edit** Blu-ray will not include slipcover

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-13-10 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-13-10, 02:39 PM

i still wish that Slumber Party Massacre & Sorority House Massacre were coming to Blu. I would even settle for bare-bones releases with all 3 films on 1 Disc!
Old 07-13-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Speaking of Slumber Party Massacre, I thought THIS was kinda neat.

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 07-13-10 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-14-10, 02:45 AM

Some clips from Galaxy of Terror and Forbidden World
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4872
Old 07-14-10, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
'Living Deadpan' posted this in covers forum for DVD. shout factory is doing lenticular slipcover. will probably go for Blu as well:

**edit** Blu-ray will not include slipcover
I would have LOVED that slipcover with the Blu-Ray.

*Sigh* Oh well.
Old 07-14-10, 09:17 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
Pretty cool, but no Blu, no sale. I'm done with buying DVDs unless they are TV Shows. I understand the costs that would have to go into this to make it to Blu-ray, but I just can't bring myself to buy the DVD set.

Still in for Pirahna.
Old 07-14-10, 11:08 AM

That's pretty cool but with shipping, it bumps up the price to about $30. I'll stick with my Amazon preorder of $22.49 shipped with Prime. I don't really care if movies like this are on BR since I think any imperfections or whatnot in AV quality are appropriate.
Old 07-14-10, 03:14 PM

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I had to pay the 30 bucks just for that pillowcase. It's gonna go great with the bloody sheets I got for christmas.
Old 07-17-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I would have LOVED that slipcover with the Blu-Ray.

*Sigh* Oh well.
The advance copy I have has that cover (non lenticular of course) as an alternate on the back of the normal one. You can just pull it out and flip it. Not as snazzy as the lenticular version but still cool.

All the Corman BRs I have received have some sort of alternate cover on the back side, some even using the movies alternate title--and IMO some of the alternates are cooler than the normal ones. Very very cool touch by Shout!.
Old 07-17-10, 07:40 PM
Suspended

So review copies went out already? Nice. Love to see how Piranha rates.

I'll have to wait and buy it used anyway since I don't support Shout! in any single way.
Old 07-17-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So review copies went out already? Nice. Love to see how Piranha rates.

I'll have to wait and buy it used anyway since I don't support Shout! in any single way.
Vendor sample in this case. They are really generous in that regard. Will be checking out Humanoids From the Deep later tonite!

Can I ask what your beef is with them Gizmo? (not looking to be argumentative, just curious--they seem to get universal kudos around here)
Old 07-18-10, 12:06 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels

Can I ask what your beef is with them Gizmo? (not looking to be argumentative, just curious--they seem to get universal kudos around here)
Has to do with them advertising and selling a "Freaks and Geeks" Yearbook back in 2004 as being a one-print only run and the mold being destroyed once all copies were sold. Then they went ahead and re-released it in 2008 for a quick cash-grab (Apatow fever). They lied to fans and consumers and since that point I refuse to buy any Shout! items new. I will buy used - so I get the quality product and they don't get a single penny from me.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/53...-released.html

It was sold with these things being said:
We are making only 25,000 of them and then that's it. We'll never make them again. We'll break the mold, lock the door, and throw away the key. The Special Limited Edition will not show up on any discount web sites and it will never be sold at a discounted price. It is a true collectible. We swear to you.
So that is why I don't support Shout!. I've skipped on about a dozen or so releases from them, and picked up a few used (My So-Called Life for example)
Old 07-18-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Gizmo, I totally understand only buying their stuff used. I think I posted my thoughts in that thread. I was not a fan of the show (never watched it) but, as a collector, I wasn't happy with the way they did the re-release. Would've been so much better if they just did a different package.

But I will go to their panel at Comic-Con and, if given a chance, will ask them about it and if they caught some backlash over it.
Old 07-18-10, 01:03 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lemmy
While I understand your frustration with them, and please don't consider this a "personal attack" as it is not meant that way, but.....Good Christ, man, a company has never lied to you before? I mean, you can spend your $$$ how you like (and that is the true bottom line, really), but it sounds like you're passing on some truly cool shit because somebody told you a nasty fib a long time ago. Just sayin'.
I'm not passing on anything - I buy used. I can get just about anything they sell used a week or two after it comes out. I'm just not supporting them with buying it new.

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Gizmo, I totally understand only buying their stuff used. I think I posted my thoughts in that thread. I was not a fan of the show (never watched it) but, as a collector, I wasn't happy with the way they did the re-release. Would've been so much better if they just did a different package.

But I will go to their panel at Comic-Con and, if given a chance, will ask them about it and if they caught some backlash over it.
Please do. I always enjoyed seeing them at Comic-Con (I stopped in and thanked them in 2005 after the set came out when they had a very small booth.

I don't want to threadcrap in this thread though so I'll halt my conversation regarding Shout! here. (But do PM me if you ask the question to them and they give you a response. I can't make it out this year )

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.