Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-17-09, 07:15 AM   #1
deckel
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 46
Is there a Blu-Ray Player that will upconvert DVDs through component output?

I have an older Runco projector without digital inputs (no DVI, no HDMI) to which I would like to connect a Blu-Ray player (using a component to RGBHV converter). Most players will transmit HD through the component outputs for Blu-Ray discs but not for standard definition dvds. Are there any newer players that will upconvert SD DVDs through the component output?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-09, 08:27 AM   #2
obidawsn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 540
Re: Is there a Blu-Ray Player that will upconvert DVDs through component output?

Yes and No. Can the blu-ray player upconvert over component? Yes. Will it upconvert your studio movies? No. The reason is a copyright issue (I believe...at least a legal one that the studios are pushing). They only want you to upconvert over HDMI, so they made it so that any disc with the copyright protection on it (not sure of the exact name...DVD used to have Macrovision, so it could be that) will not upconvert unless it's going through HDMI. However, my wedding video that's on DVD upconverts over component just fine.

As with some players that could be hacked to remove macrovision, there may be some players that can be hacked to remove that limitation (or possibly an import from somewhere), but blu-ray manufacturers are supposed to make the players that way.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 11:12 AM   #3
DivxGuy
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 3,988
Re: Is there a Blu-Ray Player that will upconvert DVDs through component output?

Standard players will not upcovert due to a provision in the CSS license.

An HTPC running Slysoft will, however.
__________________
Blu-Ray: 32
HD-DVD: 17
DVD: 600+ and lost count
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-09, 01:05 AM   #4
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 12,708
Re: Is there a Blu-Ray Player that will upconvert DVDs through component output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by obidawsn View Post
Yes and No. Can the blu-ray player upconvert over component? Yes. Will it upconvert your studio movies? No. The reason is a copyright issue (I believe...at least a legal one that the studios are pushing). They only want you to upconvert over HDMI, so they made it so that any disc with the copyright protection on it (not sure of the exact name...DVD used to have Macrovision, so it could be that) will not upconvert unless it's going through HDMI.
The culprit is Macrovision. Most commercial DVDs have the Macrovision flag set, but Macrovision cannot be sent over 720p or 1080i/p signals, only 480i/p. Since it's required to send the Macrovision signal over any analog video output for Macrovision-protected discs, legally players cannot sent an upcoverted signal over component for these discs.

I don't think CSS plays into it, since CSS is about preventing digital copying of the disc data. Also, I think people have reported being able to upconvert CSS-protected discs that didn't have Macrovision.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-09, 09:34 AM   #5
sparks
Senior Member
 
sparks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Menifee, CA
Posts: 451
Re: Is there a Blu-Ray Player that will upconvert DVDs through component output?

There are a lot of smaller companies that will let you upconvert, but not the big guys.

Buy a HDFury 2 that connects to the back of your TV and gives you HDMI. Go to their site curtpalme.com and learn all about it.
__________________
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!

HT consists of Epson 9500 UB PJ, 110" JKP Affinity Screen, Panny BD30 Player, Tosh HDA1 Player, Definitive Speakers(center/towers/rear), Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver, Nevo Q50 remote, TWC HD Cable Box.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 09:10 AM   #6
obidawsn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 540
Re: Is there a Blu-Ray Player that will upconvert DVDs through component output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
The culprit is Macrovision. Most commercial DVDs have the Macrovision flag set, but Macrovision cannot be sent over 720p or 1080i/p signals, only 480i/p. Since it's required to send the Macrovision signal over any analog video output for Macrovision-protected discs, legally players cannot sent an upcoverted signal over component for these discs.

I don't think CSS plays into it, since CSS is about preventing digital copying of the disc data. Also, I think people have reported being able to upconvert CSS-protected discs that didn't have Macrovision.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was probably Macrovision, but since I'm no expert, I didn't want to say for sure.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 07:00 PM   #7
deckel
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 46
Re: Is there a Blu-Ray Player that will upconvert DVDs through component output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
There are a lot of smaller companies that will let you upconvert, but not the big guys.

.
Do you mean smaller companies that make Blu Ray players or smaller companies that produce Blu-Ray discs? And which companies?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 08:13 PM   #8
sparks
Senior Member
 
sparks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Menifee, CA
Posts: 451
Re: Is there a Blu-Ray Player that will upconvert DVDs through component output?

No BD player will allow you to upconvert a DVD thru component unless it's one of the smaller companies that make DVDs such as older titles by Anchor Bay, new titles by Dark Sky, Passport Video, Synapse, Mill Creek, Echo Bridge, Roan, Severen, Simitar, etc. The large companies making DVDs such as MGM, WB will not allow you to unconvert thru component.

As I stated in my above post, if you purchase a HDFury 2 that connects to the back of your TV (plug and play), now gives you HDMI...which allows all DVDs to be upconverted...which I am now enjoying on my Mit CRT RPTV 65711 with component connections.

Good luck!
__________________
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!

HT consists of Epson 9500 UB PJ, 110" JKP Affinity Screen, Panny BD30 Player, Tosh HDA1 Player, Definitive Speakers(center/towers/rear), Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver, Nevo Q50 remote, TWC HD Cable Box.

Last edited by sparks; 12-20-09 at 08:36 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.