Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

red and white lines on ps3?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

i have been getting flashes of white lines when I watch a regular dvds on my ps3 and red lines when i watch a blu-ray. the lines flashes every once in awhile when watching movies.
Old 04-10-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of TV do you have and how do you connect to it?
Old 04-10-08, 04:28 PM

it is a hdtv connected with an hdmi cable
Old 04-10-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will probably get better answers if you specify make and model.
Old 04-10-08, 08:21 PM

Well I can tell you that it doesn't happen when I use the same HDMI cable on my HD-DVD player.

The TV is a Sony and I know it says WegaGate on it. Not sure if that is the model.
Old 06-10-08, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
red lines with PS3 for me too

I recently upgraded TV to a 52" Samsung LCD LN52A550 and added a 40GB PS3. The PS3 is connected via an existing Yamaha RX-V861 receiver (HDMI v1.2) with HDMI cables throughout. I see thin horizontal red lines, often, if not always, in pairs that flash on the TV when viewing the PS3, even the menu. They are thin lines that appear momentarily and many people don't notice them until I point them out. It's intermittent. I don't see these lines when viewing a mac mini (720p) or a TiVo (1080i via component cables) that are also connected via the Yamaha receiver. I do have a "fat" 50ft. HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. I have not yet tried connecting the PS3 directly to the TV with a short HDMI cable.
Old 06-17-08, 11:06 AM

more experiments

Since my last posting, I have done some experimenting:

PS3 outputting 1080p but connected directly to Samsung TV with short HDMI cable - perfect picture no red or white lines

PS3 outputting 1080p connected directly to Samsung TV but with my "fat" 50ft HDMI cable - bad picture red and white lines and lots of white "speckles", worse in top LH corner of display

PS3 but outputting 720p connected directly to Samsung TV with my "fat" 50ft HDMI cable - perfect picture no red or white lines

Back to my normal configuration: PS3 outputting 1080p connected directly to Yamaha receiver with short HDMI cable; Yamaha receiver outputting 1080p connected to Samsung TV with "fat" 50ft HDMI cable - strangely picture right now is perfect with none of the occasional red or white lines I had seen previously - I'll wait and see if it stays that way - maybe connectors are seated "better" - or maybe "noise" in the vicinity will degrade the display over time. It's clear that the Yamaha receiver output level and/or impedance tolerates the 50ft HDMI cable better than the PS3 does.
Old 12-20-09, 03:59 PM

Re: red and white lines on ps3?

I have the exact same problem.. except the sound is cutting in and out as well.
I'm running a PS3, Marantz SR6003, Panasonic PZ800 Plasma, and a Scientific Atlanta PVR.
I'm running them all through short HDMI cables into the Marantz HDMI cable out (1080p) to the Panny. If anybody else has any ideas I'd really like to hear them..